Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 20:31   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

^^ Freeplay is 3 mm. Yes the brake switch can be removed. Brake switch contains a stud end which is mounted on a weld nut (M8 x 1.25) on the suspended pedal.

Spike
Old 6th April 2011, 20:35   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Yes the brake switch can be removed.

Spike
What about the ECU?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 6th April 2011 at 20:36.
Old 6th April 2011, 21:54   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Since the ECU reads brake application, is there any way of physically removing and temporarily bypassing the switch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What about the ECU?
^^ Dada, which ECU?? IIRC, HVK's Scorpio is from the old lot-> Mechanical FIP, am I right HVK Sir?

Spike
Old 6th April 2011, 22:00   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ Dada, which ECU?? IIRC, HVK's Scorpio is from the old lot-> Mechanical FIP, am I right HVK Sir?

Spike
Oops then!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th April 2011, 01:40   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has fixed gear-locks in his Scorpio? Can anyone please post any pics of the installation or guide me to get one fixed? And before that, how useful is a gear lock actually is?
Old 7th April 2011, 09:37   #2001
Senior - BHPian

After several sorties yesterday, it looks like I may have come out of the tunnel that I have been in last 2-3 months ever since my braking problems started.

After removing the brake drum, with the Scorpio mounted in the jack, I checked the working of the brake cylinders and what do I see - there is absolutely braking action till over 50% of the pedal is depressed. When it does start, In see the left piston goes in faster and before the right piston which moves in sluggishly and with delay. Release the brake and the left piston swings back quickly, but the right returns slowly. That probably explains why braking action was erratic, not engaging the first time, engaging the second time, but getting jammed the third because of the asynchronous braking action teh brake pedal simply ceases.

I scrapped both the brake cylinders (including the good one in the RHS, both KBX make) and replaced them with new TVS make brake cylinders ( Part No. 0602BA0550N) and refitted the old brake drums. The brakes worked very well except that since my old drums were totally worn out, there is significant play in the pedal and braking starts quite late.

Today, I will replace both the brake drums. The reason why the new brake drum was not fitting inside the LHS wheel was because of some damage caused in fitting the non-spec crde/Bolero brake cylinder which appears to have caused the problem in the first place.

Today morning's drive to office was a satisfying experience with good braking and no sponginess or failures. Hopefully, the good times last!

Some lessons learnt:

- Mechanics have no application of mind. They look at only signs of a failed component (like a leaking brake cylinder), but fail to test the components if they are working properly. In my case, I independently carried out the braking test on the open wheel when the mechanic had no clue whatsoever.

- Exclude problems one by one, instead of going for some illogical "he-did-it) conclusions and changing the most expensive component like the master cylinder of brake booster. You cannot always hit the block-hole, you can miss most of the time with such jerky decisions.

- Mechanics tend to trivialise the detailed engineering thinking that goes into a car - they simply do not know the nuances of a components's design and functioning, and apply simple rules of visual judgements and try to fit components which may fit, but not work!

- M&M does not stock components of its earlier Scorpio versions (especially my 6-year VERY OLD Scorpio), and don't trust any components bought from a ASC (but do we really have a choice???) or outside an ASC.

Let me express my sincere thanks to all my friends in this forum, who have chipped in with help over the last few days, and special mentions for SS, Spike & Sutripta , all of who have lend a patient ear, lots of introspection, brain-storming and tapped their networks to help me out. I am sure all this good faith will positively solve any problems.

Kumar
Old 7th April 2011, 09:43   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Yes, as has been mentioned, my Scorpio is the pre-crde 2004/2005 version, and has no ECU or electronics whatsoever.

kaushik_s, I use a gear lock and am very happy with it. You get autocop, Minda makes, etc. Cost 1,500-2,000. Gear locks can delay any car thief, but am sure he can always cut it off with lots of effort. But delays can deter any thief, so that is one big reason that all of us should have gear locks installed.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:02   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, as has been mentioned, my Scorpio is the pre-crde 2004/2005 version, and has no ECU or electronics whatsoever.

kaushik_s, I use a gear lock and am very happy with it. You get autocop, Minda makes, etc. Cost 1,500-2,000. Gear locks can delay any car thief, but am sure he can always cut it off with lots of effort. But delays can deter any thief, so that is one big reason that all of us should have gear locks installed.
Thanks HVK, will check with Autocop or Minda. I guess this is the U type gear lock? I saw one photograph on the Scorpio owner's thread. BTW, will the fitting have to be done at the workshop or at the accessory shop?
Old 7th April 2011, 13:04   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks HVK, will check with Autocop or Minda. I guess this is the U type gear lock? I saw one photograph on the Scorpio owner's thread. BTW, will the fitting have to be done at the workshop or at the accessory shop?
Yes, it is U-type.
The lock guys will come to your location and fix it, you don't have to go anywhere. Comes with spare keys and warranties.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07042011.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07042011001.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-07042011002.jpg  

Last edited by hvkumar : 7th April 2011 at 13:11.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:38   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot HVK for the photographs. The same kind of gear lock is there in my uncle's Bolero too. I'll get it fixed asap in my Scorpio too.
Old 7th April 2011, 20:37   #2006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After several sorties yesterday, it looks like I may have come out of the tunnel that I have been in last 2-3 months ever since my braking problems started.
Hi,
Good to know your problems are sorted out.

Maybe it's time to change the car.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th April 2011, 22:23   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Changed brake drums today evening.
LHS brake drum did not fit, so it had to mildly faced.
Braking is super now, I guess I can say the 2-month suffering of poor brakes is now at an end.
Fast trials tomorrow.

Quote:

After removing the brake drum, with the Scorpio mounted in the jack, I checked the working of the brake cylinders and what do I see - there is absolutely braking action till over 50% of the pedal is depressed. When it does start, In see the left piston goes in faster and before the right piston which moves in sluggishly and with delay. Release the brake and the left piston swings back quickly, but the right returns slowly. That probably explains why braking action was erratic, not engaging the first time, engaging the second time, but getting jammed the third because of the asynchronous braking action teh brake pedal simply ceases.

I scrapped both the brake cylinders (including the good one in the RHS, both KBX make) and replaced them with new TVS make brake cylinders ( Part No. 0602BA0550N) and refitted the old brake drums. The brakes worked very well except that since my old drums were totally worn out, there is significant play in the pedal and braking starts quite late.

Today, I will replace both the brake drums. The reason why the new brake drum was not fitting inside the LHS wheel was because of some damage caused in fitting the non-spec crde/Bolero brake cylinder which appears to have caused the problem in the first place.

Today morning's drive to office was a satisfying experience with good braking and no sponginess or failures. Hopefully, the good times last!

Some lessons learnt:

- Mechanics have no application of mind. They look at only signs of a failed component (like a leaking brake cylinder), but fail to test the components if they are working properly. In my case, I independently carried out the braking test on the open wheel when the mechanic had no clue whatsoever.

- Exclude problems one by one, instead of going for some illogical "he-did-it) conclusions and changing the most expensive component like the master cylinder of brake booster. You cannot always hit the block-hole, you can miss most of the time with such jerky decisions.

- Mechanics tend to trivialise the detailed engineering thinking that goes into a car - they simply do not know the nuances of a components's design and functioning, and apply simple rules of visual judgements and try to fit components which may fit, but not work!

- M&M does not stock components of its earlier Scorpio versions (especially my 6-year VERY OLD Scorpio), and don't trust any components bought from a ASC (but do we really have a choice???) or outside an ASC.

Let me express my sincere thanks to all my friends in this forum, who have chipped in with help over the last few days, and special mentions for SS, Spike & Sutripta , all of who have lend a patient ear, lots of introspection, brain-storming and tapped their networks to help me out. I am sure all this good faith will positively solve any problems.

Kumar
Old 8th April 2011, 08:39   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks a lot HVK for the photographs. The same kind of gear lock is there in my uncle's Bolero too. I'll get it fixed asap in my Scorpio too.
I also have the same gear lock. It seems to be quiet sturdy. One small piece of advise, use it regularly & keep it well oiled.

I had a harrowing time once late at night when it took almost 45 mts of struggling to get it unlocked (other option was to reverse all the way back ).
Old 8th April 2011, 09:29   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I also have the same gear lock. It seems to be quiet sturdy. One small piece of advise, use it regularly & keep it well oiled.

I had a harrowing time once late at night when it took almost 45 mts of struggling to get it unlocked (other option was to reverse all the way back ).
Oh, that is bad news. I do not oil it, but use it every time I park the car, whether inside my house compound or outside. What oils do you use? In fact, I always have nightmares wondering if the lock will give up on me one day! How did you manage to unlock it finally?
Old 8th April 2011, 12:00   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post

Oops that's scary and to me I don't even have the option of reversing as that would mean banging the basement wall. I guess we can use WD40 or something like that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks