Old 31st March 2011, 12:50   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Can some please answer this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post

One more query: Regarding the immobilizer code. My car is coming with the Nippon security systems and it does have option to change the code. I tried changing it today and I'm not sure if I've changed it correctly or not. But I was able to hear the different chirps as mentioned in the manual for entry of each code. So I guess the codes must have been changed. But how do I now confirm that the codes were indeed got changed and not the default codes?
OK, I presume after 4 chirps you entered the 4th digit using the valet switch. If yes, then did you :-

Turn vehicles key to Ignition 'ON' & keep it 'ON' for 10 secs? One long beep confirms the completion of secret code password programming.

Do you need contact details of the Nippon guy at Bangalore? Let me know.

Spike
Old 31st March 2011, 13:16   #1952
Senior - BHPian

^^ I don't think I've turn the vehicles key to Ignition ON and haven't heard the long beep of confirmation. It was not mentioned in the manual :(.. So that means the password is not yet changed. I'll try changing it again today. May be now itself. Thanks man, you've saved my day I feel.
Please do send me the Nippon guy's contact detail.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:13   #1953
Senior - BHPian

^^ Ok, that means the password is not changed yet. I hope you are clear with the password change procedure. You can call / PM me if you need any info.

Spike

PS- You have a PM.
Old 31st March 2011, 16:57   #1954
BHPian

Folks,
I cant agree more on non availablity of spares for earlier models.
My oil tank dip stick holder broke and after many attempts got one which is the closest one to what i had.With slight mods fitted it but found that the dip stick was not fitting snug.Had to cut the stick and make the min and max marks for oil levels.....cant imagine if bigger spares are needed.
tx
Old 1st April 2011, 11:57   #1955
Senior - BHPian

My hawk,has done 15K kms now,and surprisingly it has been niggle free all this while,apart from a squeaky passenger side door.
Now the 15K service is coming up,and Mahindra recommends oil change at 20K,last oil change was at 5K kms.
Should i go for a oil change now and keep intervals at like 10K kms?
I somehow cannot digest a 15-20K kms interval between oil changes using a non synthetic oil in our extreme conditions.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:12   #1956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
My hawk,has done 15K kms now.....changes using a non synthetic oil in our extreme conditions.
I agree. 15k+ kms oil change intervals seem a bit too much to me, specially in the bumper to bumper conditions that we encounter in our cities.

That's why I changed my oil when the odo reading was 15k kms, rather than 20k kms as given in the user manual. I plan to keep the oil change interval at 10k kms henceforth, regardless of the ASC saying that the intervals given in the user manual are sufficient.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 1st April 2011 at 12:14.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:36   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Sutripta da, I changed the brake oils and bled the system thoroughly without any significant impact. The brake pads are not so old, and both the rear brake cylinders have been changed recently too. I even found a minute leak in one of the front brake feed pipes and changed that too. Still there is no improvement in the overall braking situation.

So just to checklist what all I have done so far:
- Changed brake pads
- Changed brake shoes
- Changed rear cylinders
- Replaced brake oil
- Replaced vacuum pump
- Changed vacuum tubes (except the one tube going to the EGR Valve which is not available)
- Still not changed the main rubber tube from the vacuum pump to the brake booster
- Checked the pressure container
- Changed brake oil feed pipe

That leaves out only the caliper and the brake booster.
Further updates on the braking problem:

- The brake calipers were removed, and the rubber kit changed. The rubbers looked absolutely fatigued and definitely did not have any rubbery action left. Looks like the dead rubbers were preventing the brake piston from retracting after every braking action, causing the jam. Hopefully, the change will solve my problem

- the brake pads were totally worn out - in some 20,000 odd kms or so, must be because of the jamming that must have kept the brake pads in the disc longer than required. They have been changed.

- the rear brake shoes were totally worn out, especially on the left hand side. They are probably less than 40,000 odd kms old. Both the brake cylinders were OK, since I had changed the RHS cylinder last time I had changed the brake shoes.

- BUT, here is the shocker: the brake cylinder on the LHS was not the correct one! It was that for the crde Scorpio, which apparently has double the braking action than my non-crde Scorpio. This had been changed by my ASC some 1 year ago. What is the impact? The more powerful LHS brake cylinder was applying stronger braking action, resulting in wearing out the brake shoes in LHS. The brake shoes had completely worn out the brake drums - it was also completely uneven and wavy in one section! Maybe this was also causing the inefficient braking and jamming.

- It looks like it will be impossible to do the facing of the brake drum since it may cause it to become too thin, so I am going to change both the brake drums. And the brake shoes of course. Moreover, I am now trying to get the real brake cylinder (not in stock) to replace the wrong brake cylinder.

Now you also know how bad ASCs can cause so much of damage to Scorpios. Not only have the jokers not replaced the brake caliper rubbers for such a long time, but they have also put the wrong part.

Net result, the Scorpio is grounded for the next 24 hours awaiting parts.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:18   #1958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- BUT, here is the shocker: the brake cylinder on the LHS was not the correct one! It was that for the crde Scorpio, which apparently has double the braking action than my non-crde Scorpio.
So the w/cylinders of the pre-CRDe and CRDe Scorp are swappable? What differences are there between the two? And what if you decide to fit both w/cylinders of the newer type? You did mention that the newer ones have double the braking action.

And what about scoring/ridges on the caliper cylinder walls?
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:29   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So the w/cylinders of the pre-CRDe and CRDe Scorp are swappable? What differences are there between the two? And what if you decide to fit both w/cylinders of the newer type? You did mention that the newer ones have double the braking action.

And what about scoring/ridges on the caliper cylinder walls?
Well, the crde vs non-crde is what the mechanic told me, I have no sure way of identifying what is what. The cylinder fits OK, so if the wrong cylinder was used, looks like they are interchangeable.

Examining the caliper, there does not appear to be any unusual features. No oil leaks. The rubber were sealed but rubber was thin and not as "rubbery" as a new one.

No idea if the change of caliper solves the brake problems since the car is grounded now waiting for the rear cylinder/drum problem to be changed.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:54   #1960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...crde vs non-crde...
Examining the caliper, there does not appear to be any unusual features.
...change of caliper...
Did you change the complete calipers, or just the rubber kit?

@Spike: What difference in terms of construction and 'swappability' of the rear wheel cylinders between CRDe/non-CRDe/mHawk? How would it affect performance?
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:16   #1961
Senior - BHPian

@SS da, Yes, there are differences.

@HVK can you measure Piston diameter inside the wheel cylinder (correct as well as in-correct one); also please post pics if possible.

Spike
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:34   #1962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@SS da, Yes, there are differences.

@HVK can you measure Piston diameter inside the wheel cylinder (correct as well as in-correct one); also please post pics if possible.

Spike
Thanks, SS & Spike.
Will do so and revert tomorrow.
Old 4th April 2011, 08:25   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My hawk,has done 15K kms now,and surprisingly it has been niggle free all this while,apart from a squeaky passenger side door.
Now the 15K service is coming up,and Mahindra recommends oil change at 20K,last oil change was at 5K kms.
Should i go for a oil change now and keep intervals at like 10K kms?
I somehow cannot digest a 15-20K kms interval between oil changes using a non synthetic oil in our extreme conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I agree. 15k+ kms oil change intervals seem a bit too much to me, specially in the bumper to bumper conditions that we encounter in our cities.

That's why I changed my oil when the odo reading was 15k kms, rather than 20k kms as given in the user manual. I plan to keep the oil change interval at 10k kms henceforth, regardless of the ASC saying that the intervals given in the user manual are sufficient.
My mHawk is 16K Kms. now, I have decided (and given the experience of couple of friends who did it at 20K Kms) to keep the oil change deferred to the 20K mark since I am driving in relativly smooth conditions (wide congestion free roads of Navi Mumbai and there abouts .

Plus I want to maintain the status quo since the vehicle is running like dream specially after so many niggles in the first year of ownership.

There is one small anomaly that I am observing for the last one month with the Fuel Gauge, I fill up 31 odd Lts. after the first low fuel warning, and the fuel gauge almost touches the F mark. And over a period the gauge moves down as if properly calibrated to the next low fuel warning at the red mark. Any pointers on what could be wrong.

Last edited by m_upreti : 4th April 2011 at 08:30.
Old 4th April 2011, 09:45   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Even ours is driven on wide traffic free roads of a Cantonment.
but still i will get the oil changed at 15K service this saturday.

Another Query.
How to check if ABS is kicking in or not?
The brakes are toooooo sharp for my liking,and sometimes while sudden braking,i have heard a screech or two from the tyres.
Does the Light come on when ABS kicks in,or is it just a malfunction light for ABS ecu?
Old 4th April 2011, 09:52   #1965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Another Query.
How to check if ABS is kicking in or not?
The brakes are toooooo sharp for my liking,and sometimes while sudden braking,i have heard a screech or two from the tyres.
Does the Light come on when ABS kicks in,or is it just a malfunction light for ABS ecu?
If the brake pedal judders (mimicking you pumping the brakes manually) when you stand on them, then your ABS is kicking in. The lights will not come on. The ABS should not allow the wheels to lock. If it does, then you have a problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks