Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 11:59   #1876
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

One funny thing, I was trying to register my Scorpio's VIN no with Mahindra's site. It tells that they will send the service reminders. Somehow the site doesnot accept my VIN . I debugged the java script it came out that the year they expect as a numeric but 2010 is character A so it has to be alpha. Somehow the person who created the site doesnot know how the VIN is formed. anyidea how i can get the VIN registered?

Regards,
Scorpio Fan
Old 26th January 2011, 12:47   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
When I start driving my mHawk SLE for the first time in a day [usually at 9.30 - 10 AM), I make sure that I run the vehicle at idle for 2 minutes or so. Even then, the noise of the engine clatter changes perceptibly from the normal idling engine noise to a tak-tak-tak-tak type of sound, when I depress the clutch while changing gears. The rhythm of this sound is the same as normal idling, only the sound is different.

This occurs for the first 5 odd minutes of driving; once the engine reaches optimum operating temperature [temp gauge needle slightly to the left of the halfway mark], this noise goes away and does not reappear.

Is this something I need to be worried about, or does it happen only because the engine has become really cold due to the low temperature at night?

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I have never encountered this issue even when I start the car at late night or early morning after my VLX is standing for almost 10-15 hrs in the open.
I have the same sound from the engine while cold. Its been there since the first time I saw the car prior to delivery. Was told that this sound was kind of normal for the BS4 Car, and was also shown 2 other pre-delivery vehicles.

It sounds like a tractor!!

I observe that the colder the morning, (Kolkata has seen record low temperatures this year) the intensity of the sound is more.

Not sure if this is a problem, but then it doesn't seem like one to me. Car runs super smooth once warmed up.
Old 26th January 2011, 13:17   #1878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
...noise of the engine clatter changes perceptibly from the normal idling engine noise to a tak-tak-tak-tak type of sound, when I depress the clutch while changing gears. The rhythm of this sound is the same as normal idling, only the sound is different.

This occurs for the first 5 odd minutes of driving; once the engine reaches optimum operating temperature [temp gauge needle slightly to the left of the halfway mark], this noise goes away and does not reappear.

Is this something I need to be worried about, or does it happen only because the engine has become really cold due to the low temperature at night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Your symptom reminds me of Tapette noise in my Ambassador.
Two things I can think of, that can make that kind of noise:
(a) Tappet noise
(b) Injector noise.

Both are normal noises from a cold engine. The oil change probably washed out the deposits from the cylinders and tappets, and when the tappets run dry for a few seconds after cold start (all engines run a little dry at first start, which is why you
Quote:
...make sure that I run the vehicle at idle for 2 minutes or so.
IIRC the mHawk engine has oil-damped self-adjusting tappets (Spike, could you confirm please?), so after the engine warms up and the oil flows properly, the noise disappears. In the old Amby engine, if the tappet adjustment was loose, the noise persisted even in a hot engine.

The noise from injectors is usually easily cured with a proprietary injector cleaner (Iftex System-D @ 1ml/litre for 1-2 tankfuls would be a good idea).

Hope this puts your worries to rest.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th January 2011 at 13:19.
Old 26th January 2011, 13:21   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Was told that this sound was kind of normal for the BS4 Car, and was also shown 2 other pre-delivery vehicles.
My vehicle is mfged in Feb '10; so I guess this characteristic is inherent in all mHawks

Quote:
I observe that the colder the morning, (Kolkata has seen record low temperatures this year) the intensity of the sound is more.
Same observation here. Last weekend, I started on a trip at 6 AM, and the intensity of the sound was definitely more than it is at around 9.30 - 10 AM everyday. Also, this sound is not heard while returning from office to home, though the vehicle is parked for 8-10 hours beforehand and technically undergoes a cold start even then.

Quote:
Car runs super smooth once warmed up.
Yup, ditto again. The sound persists only till the temp indicator needle reaches it's usual place just to the left of the halfway mark, which never takes more than 5 mins.

EDIT:

Quote:
Both are normal noises from a cold engine.....so after the engine warms up and the oil flows properly, the noise disappears....Hope this puts your worries to rest.
@SS-Traveller - Saw your post after submitting my reply to 1100D.

Sorry for bombarding this thread with so many posts; but I tend to be too paranoid about issues with my steed! But now, your explanation, along with 1100D's post above has definitely eased my concerns! Thanks!

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th January 2011 at 13:38. Reason: Included reply to SS-Traveller's post
Old 13th February 2011, 16:39   #1880
Senior - BHPian

An issue which bugged me a very long time ago has creeped up again in my scorpio.

I get the annoying trrrk trk tuk tuk tut sound from the front wheels when i do a complete steering turn and move the vehicle slowly.

It sounds like something breaking.

What might be the issue? what do i need to replace?
Old 13th February 2011, 18:06   #1881
Senior - BHPian

^^ Could be worn out suspension link bushes, or worn out wheel bearings, I guess.

Confirm if the wheel nuts are rightly torqued in the first place, just in case
Old 13th February 2011, 18:28   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IIRC the mHawk engine has oil-damped self-adjusting tappets (Spike, could you confirm please?)
Yes Sir! You are right, we call them Automatic HLA (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters)

Spike
Old 13th February 2011, 19:18   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Two things I can think of, that can make that kind of noise:
(a) Tappet noise
(b) Injector noise.

More of Tappet noise rather then injectors.
Old 13th February 2011, 22:41   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are normal noises from a cold engine.....so after the engine warms up and the oil flows properly, the noise disappears....Hope this puts your worries to rest.
Sorry for the late update folks.

@SS-Traveller - The engineer at the ASC told me the same thing you did. Also, now that the weather's turning warmer, I don't get this noise even if the cold start happens very early in the day [6 - 6.30 AM].

As an aside, the 20k kms service for my Scorp is coming up in a week. Apart from the items given in the user manual service schedule, is there anything extra that Gurus here recommended?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 13th February 2011, 23:24   #1885
Senior - BHPian

@Vikram, which model Scorpio is yours?

Spike
Old 14th February 2011, 08:31   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Had a bit of a heart stopping experience with my Scorpio on Friday. I was driving early in the morning and with the roads all empty appx. 80 KMPH speed, nearing a crossing I slowed down to about 60 before realising the Mahanagar Gas had dug up and filled half the road bang in themiddle of the crossing and about a couple of feet of yellow pipe was sticking out from the road probably to connect with the rest of it once the other part of the road was dug up and pipe laid. I gave a slight flick (left and straight) on the steering to avoid the pipe (still about 60 KMH).

The scorpio behaved very wierdly instead of coming on stright it did a snake routine and wobbled very dangerously, thankfully the road was empty and with the help of clutch brake gear combinaton I was able to bring it under control.

Issues: The steering is suddenly feeling verly light and a small pot hole is enough to jar the steering out of control, consequently I am conciously gripping the steering hard and with both hands now to avoid any issue.

Any ideas or pointers on what could be wrong.
Old 14th February 2011, 10:19   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Vikram, which model Scorpio is yours?

Spike
@Spike - It's a Feb 2010 mHawk SLE.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th February 2011 at 10:21.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:58   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Vikram, nothing special you need to do, just stick to manufacturers recommendation. If there is any specific query just let us know.

Spike

PS- Keep an eye on condition of tyres and suspension bushes.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:27   #1889
BHPian

From the last one month, I am finding that my 63k km, 2006 Scorpio SLX is taking a longer starter, in the morning as well as during the day. Its almost twice as long as it was in November. Any idea what could cause it? I find nothing else out of the ordinary and earlier thought it might be due to lower winter temperatures(8-12 degrees) but its still the same though the temperatures have normalized (20-25 degrees).

Thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 22:08   #1890
Senior - BHPian

How old is your battery? Is it getting charged properly? Check battery and alternator condition first.

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks