Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:47   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Facing some minor issues with my Scorpio for some time now, not very critical so didnt bother much till now:

1.The retaining mechanism of the music system (Nippon) of my Scorpio is damaged and as a result the Face Plate is not getting fixed in position and comes out.

2.The USB port of the music system also does not work

3.The auto lock function is not working, I hear the beep after 30 seconds of taking the key out and closing the door, but the door is unlocked.

The A.S.S. will be arranging for the replacement base plate for the Music System from Nippon (300 odd Rs.) & fixing up time with the Nippon engineer to resolve the auto lock issue and confirm to me by tomorrow
As usual M&M and their vendors (in this case Nippon) are not the ones to honour the appointments, its been a week chasing both the A.S.S. & the Nippon engineer, I am getting the response, the person will be at your place by the evening / tomorrow, etc. etc.

I think these people only understand escalations, I will give them till tomorrow to have the person sent and resolve the issue and then go the old route of marking a copy of the reminder mail to the top management.
Old 25th December 2010, 12:34   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Oil change query

Hi Folks,

The 3rd free service [at 15k kms] for my mHawk Scorpio is coming up soon, in which I wanted to do an oil change, instead of at 20k as listed in the manual. This is because I would like to follow a 10k oil change interval rather than the 15k interval as recommended by M&M.

I know that this won't void the warranty as the manual does say "For any other than Maximile brand, oil change interval should be 10k, if the oil meets minimum of API CH-4 SAE15W40 specs". However, I have a feeling that convincing the ASC will be a different matter altogether!

I plan to use Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 instead of "Maximile Crown". My questions about it are:

1. Will the ASC agree to do such an oil change for me in my 3rd free service, where I provide the oil and just use their oil filter & labour?
2. If not, can I buy an oil filter over the counter at the ASC and do the oil change in an independent garage?
3. If neither of the above are possible, then whom in M&M can I write a stinker to about their service policies?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 26th December 2010, 17:33   #1788
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Vikram,

1) Depends on your relationship with the service center, they may or may not allow it.
2) Can void your warranty if service is done outside authorized dealership.

The oil change intervals for the Mhawk are at 5K, 15k and then every 20K kilometers. In my view you need to change oil only every 15K intervals. My cousin's scorpio in Bangalore has done about 190K miles. He has the older non CRDe 2.6 DI Turbo engine. He has been doing oil changes every 10K at the dealer with company oil. The modern diesels are much more better engineered and 15K intervals are sufficient.
Old 26th December 2010, 17:41   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to share the information:

"My brothers Taxi Scorpio, which has done 2.70L kms, 2003 (or 4) I did'nt remembered has its first visit to SC for purpose other than oil change. Actually the Timing belt broke off. And he told me that he has never changed that since he purchased the car."

Hats-off to the quality of Old Scorpio, no suspension change, no engine overhaul, no belts changed ever.
Old 26th December 2010, 20:10   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Vikram,

1) Depends on your relationship with the service center, they may or may not allow it.
2) Can void your warranty if service is done outside authorized dealership.

The oil change intervals for the Mhawk are at 5K, 15k and then every 20K kilometers. In my view you need to change oil only every 15K intervals...The modern diesels are much more better engineered and 15K intervals are sufficient.
Hi 4x4addict,

Thanks v much for your reply. My relationship with the service centre and rapport with the senior engineer there is quite positive [it should be, since my only 2 services haven't entailed much work for them, touchwood! ]. So I guess they'll allow it, if I make a request .

The reason I was thinking of following a 10k oil change regimen was I had a gut feeling that 15k/20k is somehow too long an interval in the traffic conditions that we usually encounter in our cities.

So, if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is I stick to 15k intervals, even after my 20k kms service. So, effectively my vehicle's next oil changes will be at 20k, 35k, 50k etc, rather than 20k, 40k, 60k etc as listed in the manual.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th December 2010, 09:19   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
So, if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is I stick to 15k intervals, even after my 20k kms service. So, effectively my vehicle's next oil changes will be at 20k, 35k, 50k etc, rather than 20k, 40k, 60k etc as listed in the manual.
Cheers,
Vikram
Yes. This is what I intend to do. Mahindra requires oil changes every 20K. I feel half that distance as 10K is too soon. 3/4 the distance at 15K should be a conservative time for oil change.

My logic is that we are not likely to keep the Scorpio for more than 2 Lakh kms. With the manufactures recommended oil change intervals, it will easily hit this mark. Even if you doubled your maintenance cost and did it every 10K miles, you are unlikely to benefit from the added cost. Besides when you sell the car, few people will appreciate this and your payback is not likely to happen.
Old 27th December 2010, 15:16   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Hai Scorpio lovers,

My 2x4 2007 July CRDe truck, WOLT has done 62 K kms, I've driven rough terrain many times including Ladakh and HP. The noises and vibrations from the drive shaft resulted in a check in the pit, the Universal Joints (UJ's) were gone. Got it replaced at the ASC, Ahmedabad, Cost:

Universal Kit joints - 2633
Front Shaft Tubes - 4090
Bearing replacement charges - 850
Taxes - 1096
Total - 8669/-

When they opened up, the front shaft tubes (its a whole housing on which the shafts rotate, a heavy piece)were found to be worn out and squeaking, specially the bearings, I decided to change it. Water must have entered the housing during the many hill drives / water crossings and water logged rainy drives; the ASC guys say this usually lasts longer, they are surprised mine has gone in 62!!! If the shaft tubes are not changed they can again damage the UJ's because of the vibration it can cause and the whole exercise may have to be repeated in about 20-30 K kms. Uploading a couple of pictrues of the same.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-uj1.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-uj2.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-uj3.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-uj4.jpg

Note the rad arrow points the shaft bearings which was vibrating requiring change of the whole piece.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-uj4a.jpg

My questions to users / experts here:

1) Many might have changed the UJ's; at what Km did you change it?

2) How many of you have changed Front Shaft Tubes? At what KM?

3) Is greasing of the UJ's needed? I know many people do. The ASC guys are emphatic, NO GREASING is needed? Why are they not advocating not to grease the joints? I asked the, they said they never do, not required etc.,

Found that the MHwak does not need greasing, M&M has eliminated it, wonder how?

What about non-Mhwak Scorpios? Confused on the greasing issue, views and comments please.

Thanks.

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 27th December 2010 at 15:32.
Old 27th December 2010, 18:20   #1793
BHPian

My car's right rear power window works sometimes and doesn't work at other times. I am headed for my 3rd service this week. Any way to recreate this situation?
Old 27th December 2010, 21:50   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
My questions to users / experts here:

3) Is greasing of the UJ's needed? I know many people do. The ASC guys are emphatic, NO GREASING is needed? Why are they not advocating not to grease the joints? I asked the, they said they never do, not required etc.,

Found that the MHwak does not need greasing, M&M has eliminated it, wonder how?

What about non-Mhwak Scorpios? Confused on the greasing issue, views and comments please.

Thanks.

--Ramky
If the Universal Joints are sealed type with life time grease, then they generally do not need external greasing. My experience is base on 25 year old experience with Ambassadors and Fiats. All joints having nipples were greased religiously every service. With a lot of front wheel drive vehicles to day, there is no need to grease, hence most shops do not even have a grease gun.

Please check the type of joints you have, if there is a nipple, you have to grease it, if none you do not. But, a big but, if you immerse the joints in water, it is better to grease them ASAP, as water would not only leach away grease, it can introduce fine dirt that would erode you joint really fast.

If you regularly traverse bad/no roads, check all the seals for wear regularly, and replace them ASAP.
Old 27th December 2010, 23:10   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Aroy,

Thanks for that input.

I know for a fact the Front wheel drive ones do not need greasing, from extensive experience with Matutis, Hundai and Ford. Long back had an Amby and Fiat too.

Now, my drive shaft gear box end does have a nipple, so as per your theory, it needs greasing. That's my reading too. The ASC grease monkeys were emphatic, NO GREASING, so the confusion.

Would love to hear from other Scorp owners. Thanks.

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the Universal Joints are sealed type with life time grease, then they generally do not need external greasing. My experience is base on 25 year old experience with Ambassadors and Fiats. All joints having nipples were greased religiously every service. With a lot of front wheel drive vehicles to day, there is no need to grease, hence most shops do not even have a grease gun.

Please check the type of joints you have, if there is a nipple, you have to grease it, if none you do not. But, a big but, if you immerse the joints in water, it is better to grease them ASAP, as water would not only leach away grease, it can introduce fine dirt that would erode you joint really fast.

If you regularly traverse bad/no roads, check all the seals for wear regularly, and replace them ASAP.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:06   #1796
BHPian

2005 Scorpio Engine Pulley problem

My 2005 Non CRDe ( Done 115000 ) has a problem with "Engine pulley" and the Vehicle cannot start. It has a farly new battery (1 year old Tata Green). As per the workshop guys, the Engine pulley has to be replaced. I Don't know what the engine pully is (). Can you guys please explain me what is the engine pulley is ? What would be the cost for it.

As per him, we have to replace the following items

Engine pully.
Pully bolt.
Engine pully key.
Oil seal.

He hasn't given any model or part number along with it. Is the above information is enough for getting the parts? or do i need get the exact part number.

The vehicle is at present in Kerala and I have not experience the problem personally. All these information are from my cousin who got it from the workshop guy.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:26   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Folks,
Is this also called the STAR joint? I have raised this issue here sometime back but maybe bcos the terminology used by local mechanics is different from what the comapny guys say there was no feedback from anyone.
I was also advised greasing but am told that it does not have a nipple hence cannot be greased.My mechanic suggested taking it to a lathe and getting it done.

cheers
Old 28th December 2010, 12:51   #1798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
...my drive shaft gear box end does have a nipple, so as per your theory, it needs greasing. That's my reading too. The ASC grease monkeys were emphatic, NO GREASING, so the confusion.

Would love to hear from other Scorp owners.
All the U-joints on a Scorpio have grease nipples (both driveshafts on a 4WD - a total of 4 grease nipples). And U-joints MUST be greased (unlike CV joints which have a rubber boot to keep out the dust and keep in the grease) - the interval may vary from car to car, but 30k - 50k km is usual. My ASC (Koncept, Okhla) finally did grease the U-joints at my 30k km service (they finally got greasing equipment, after a battle of words earlier ), but it wasn't EP (extreme pressure) grade grease.

Bought another grease gun finally (lost the old one), and intend to get under the car sometime soon.
Old 28th December 2010, 13:07   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Yes, the Universal Joint is otherwise referred to as the STAR Joint - on account of the way it looks when dismantled.
This is the main transmission linkage from engine, gearbox down, through the differential and thence, to the axles in a Rear Wheel Drive vehicle.
With age and a certain amount of rough-ish usage, the joint tends to weaken and makes a "gadink-gadink" sort of noise, noticeable while changing gears, especially while down-shifting - say from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd. Used to be a common thing in the old Ambys.
If this situation arises, ideally the joint should to be replaced. But many of our local mechanics are able to give a new lease of life to these parts by administering a little judicious lathe work to them.

It happened in my Bolero after 3 years/ 30,000 kms so I had the whole assembly replaced completely at the cost of about 8500 bucks in 2008 and then sold it on to the next chap so that he wouldn't discover later that he had an expensive job on his hands. But I made sure I charged the bloke a rate for my Bolero according to the condition it was in and the care and affection that I had invested in it. The service history was there for him to see. That Bolero's OEM Battery died after it had completed 2.5 years and about 25000 kms so I had replaced that as well.

Now so far my Scorpio has clocked 36k + in various kinds of usage and various types of road conditions and there are no funny and expensive sounding noises yet - thankfully. And so far the battery which is the OEM one, is showing up well in its regular tests. Hope the good fortune continues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Is this also called the STAR joint? I have raised this issue here sometime back but maybe bcos the terminology used by local mechanics is different from what the comapny guys say there was no feedback from anyone.
I was also advised greasing but am told that it does not have a nipple hence cannot be greased.My mechanic suggested taking it to a lathe and getting it done.

cheers
Old 28th December 2010, 23:56   #1800
BHPian

Dear BHPians,
Recently i did a long drive to kerala in my new scorpio. Here i noticed a vibration at ~1800 RPM. This comes at all gears irrespective of speed. Is this normal?

Also If i press and release the clutch when the engine is idling i hear a click click sound (with gear in neutral). This is not a noticable sound only if you open the window and put your head out you can hear this mild sound. Is this a known issue?

Regards,
Scorpio Fan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks