Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 21:43   #1741
BHPian

hi raj,
firstly please get my name correct, its sharat.
also in the post there are issues which are : the bounce and how it was taken care of, servicing extras, 2 wheel drive being good enough to tackle almost each terrain and considering that all these 3 points have been taken up repeatedly i think this was the right forum to share what i did.
so kindly read the post before u shoot off the cuff.
sharat
Old 27th October 2010, 22:21   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
hi raj,
firstly please get my name correct, its sharat.
oops, sorry for the typo buddy.

Quote:
also in the post there are issues which are : the bounce and how it was taken care of, servicing extras, 2 wheel drive being good enough to tackle almost each terrain and considering that all these 3 points have been taken up repeatedly i think this was the right forum to share what i did.
so kindly read the post before u shoot off the cuff.
sharat
Of course, i did read that friend. but its your wish & i wont debate with you. but please chill, i dint mean anything offensive. if at all you are, i am sorry.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:03   #1743
BHPian

Guys, I was getting TCU error 0P100 and the identified cure was to update the TCU firmware, Service Center told me that they are going to update most of the old AT with this firmware.
A caution, once the firmware is updated, which itself takes close to 2 hours, AT need to be retrained for all the possible gearing, which take at least 4 hours, this retraining is very essential and need to done care fully for gear, and this can only be done at lone isolated place, as the vehicle need to be driven in excess of 140 kmph with laptop running the software.
The gears change is smooth now and have not seen the error any more!
-Pramod
Old 28th October 2010, 12:26   #1744
Senior - BHPian

^^ Who did this? Was there any Engineer from M&M's Service team or was it the dealers person?
Old 28th October 2010, 12:40   #1745
BANNED

Spike: Can you please answer the queries that I have posted a few posts below?

There is a loud khat khat sound when the engine is accelerated beyond 2k rpm from somewhere near the AC compressor.
The ASC guys tell me that the compressor has gone bust and needs to be replaced since it cannot be repaired. Is this true?

AFAIK, the compressor has 2 bearings, a clutch and a few other parts all of which can be repaired/replaced.
Old 28th October 2010, 13:18   #1746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ Who did this? Was there any Engineer from M&M's Service team or was it the dealers person?
It was done by CoTEK, I believe this is a dealer person is not from M&M service team!

-Pramod
Old 28th October 2010, 15:45   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
There is a loud khat khat sound when the engine is accelerated beyond 2k rpm from somewhere near the AC compressor.
The ASC guys tell me that the compressor has gone bust and needs to be replaced since it cannot be repaired. Is this true?

AFAIK, the compressor has 2 bearings, a clutch and a few other parts all of which can be repaired/replaced.
Devdath, are you sure the noise is from the engine compressor? Does the noise persist after 2000 rpm? Is the AC performance satisfactory?

Get the compressor clutch pulley, belt tightness, compressor oil checked. Usually the compressor is not repaired, it is replaced.

Spike

Spike
Old 28th October 2010, 16:48   #1748
BANNED

Quote:
Devdath, are you sure the noise is from the engine compressor? Does the noise persist after 2000 rpm? Is the AC performance satisfactory?

Get the compressor clutch pulley, belt tightness, compressor oil checked. Usually the compressor is not repaired, it is replaced.

Spike

Spike
Yes Spike. In fact, the AC throws hot air from the vents when it is switched on. and the noise increases. Also, the noise started when the vehicle was running on AC.

Why is the compressor not repaired? I have seen so many ac repair shops(local/roadside) repairing compressors.

Last edited by n.devdath : 28th October 2010 at 16:50.
Old 28th October 2010, 17:11   #1749
Senior - BHPian

The compressor is not repaired as it is a proprietary item. Try and get your compressor repaired from outside, if it works then good. BTW, is the Alternator / Starter repaired by the dealer?
Old 28th October 2010, 17:43   #1750
BANNED

Quote:
The compressor is not repaired as it is a proprietary item. Try and get your compressor repaired from outside, if it works then good. BTW, is the Alternator / Starter repaired by the dealer?
Are they too not "supposed" to be repaired??
If the answer is yes, I m going kiss my FNG's machine tools and his garage today.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:54   #1751
BHPian

One of the headlight bulb is gone, and to my surprise the spare bulb is different from the original, the original was a Philips with blue tint, while the spare is Halonex and the light is yellow, can any one tell me the Philips original bulb brand that's there.

This is for the new refresh Scorpio with blue vision.

-Pramod
Old 1st November 2010, 12:16   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Pump, Vacuum or Engine?

My non-crde 2005 Scorpio never fails to spring surprises, some of them unpleasant, and here is what happened this Monday morning on the way to work, after the Scorpio had a restful weekend, not going anywhere the last 2 days. My odo reads 2,49,700 kms.

Rev up beyond 2,700 rpm, and I started feeling the shudder/choke up and there is a power loss. I look back and I can see whitish black smoke billowing up out of the exhaust.

Reminded me of the time when I had a defective air filter – on that occasion, it was black smoke because the engine was not getting enough air.
This time, it looked like the engine was not getting enough fuel.

The problem recurred consistently, and appeared to happen a little earlier (lower rev, 2500 rpm) when the AC was on.

Probable diagnoses:

1. Fuel Pump: My fuel pump has been leaking for the last 18 months, and I do have reduced efficiency, but power loss has hardly been perceptible so far. In fact, of late, the leakage had completely stopped on its own without my opening the pump. So was the fuel pump misbehaving pumping in less fuel at higher engine loads? But after several months of leakages, pump seems to have corrected itself and I have no power loss situations in normal driving. My mileage is normal. Black or white smoke is not visible normally.

2. Engine: Is my engine nearing overhaul? Classic symptoms of power loss/blockage symptoms at high load (and this is how my earlier engines were diagnosed for overhaul), white smoke (indicating oil leak, oil seal issues)? But the Scorpio passed the PUC test recently with honours, no black or white smoke emissions, normal mileage.

3. Vacuum: Is there any blockage or leakage in the vacuum pipes? Possibility high because I am having a simultaneous problem with braking (since booster also requires vacuum). In fact, I think the moment when I had this power loss problem, when I slammed on the brake, I found that the brake pedal had suddenly gone very hard, indicative that the booster was not receiving its air quota. Also may explain the fact that my brakes are spongy (problem discussed earlier) from time to time.

Or could it simply be choked nozzles?
Old 1st November 2010, 12:18   #1753
Team-BHP Support

If engine does not get enough fuel, you do not get black smoke, you get white smoke.
It looks like a case of unburnt diesel through the pipes.
Old 1st November 2010, 12:28   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If engine does not get enough fuel, you do not get black smoke, you get white smoke.
It looks like a case of unburnt diesel through the pipes.
But I have seamless power at all other times, in idling and when I am cruising along. Do you still think there could be a fuel delivery problem?
Old 1st November 2010, 14:32   #1755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spike

Are alternators under warranty allowed to be "repaired" by the dealers/TVS or are they mandated to change them with a new unit under warranty?

Most Viewed