Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 19:12   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I am a prospective Scorpio VLX 4x4 buyer...
...what do you advise?
Do you have a choice, NFS? If you're looking for a 4x4 at that price point, it's either a Scorpio or a Safari (the third choice being a Gypsy, but that's a different breed of vehicle). Both Safaris and Scorpios have their respective "issues and solutions" threads running on this forum, and you've got to take a call and decide. That said, M&M will make you wait longer and plead harder to get a 4x4, whereas TML will deliver you one much faster.

Fork up a whole lot extra for the Grand Vitara, Endeavour, Fortuner or Pajero. Or forget 4x4 and buy a 2WD instead - lots of choices there.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:28   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Do you have a choice, NFS? If you're looking for a 4x4 at that price point, it's either a Scorpio or a Safari (the third choice being a Gypsy, but that's a different breed of vehicle). Both Safaris and Scorpios have their respective "issues and solutions" threads running on this forum, and you've got to take a call and decide. That said, M&M will make you wait longer and plead harder to get a 4x4, whereas TML will deliver you one much faster.

Fork up a whole lot extra for the Grand Vitara, Endeavour, Fortuner or Pajero. Or forget 4x4 and buy a 2WD instead - lots of choices there.
2WD too doesn't have much choice for the price around 10L right?
Old 29th September 2010, 20:40   #1698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Well, one could add in the Innova, Xylo, Bolero, Rhino or Sumo Grande, then there are high-GC non-SUVs like the SX4 or Fusion, or bottom-end people-movers like the Eeco.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:13   #1699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Glued to this thread for a long time now, I am a prospective Scorpio VLX 4x4 buyer and looks like these comments here are really making me think twice. Respected BHPians, what do you advise? try my luck after spending around 12L with these Auth. Service Stations?

Are we saying that Scorpio is a good vehicle, but it is only the Service which is poor?
@NFS: As SSTraveller pointed out with a budget of around 10L you are forced to choose between Safari or Scorpio if you want 4x4. Even used Pajero's and Endy's in good condition costs more than a new Scorpio/Safari.

Regarding Service if you are near the MPL garage near Vadapalani, they supposedly have good service. I have been going to India Garage in Guindy Industrial Estate and the service is okay in terms of work. However, they always try to cheat by adding some unwanted stuff like door/window protection, engine cleaning etc.. I contacted Mahindra customer care and made the India Garage guys refund these unwanted items.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:41   #1700
BHPian

sound when i release the clutch from under chassis

Folks,
The local mechanic says some " STAR" has to be welded as he suspects this to be the cause for the noise after gear is slaughted and expalins that this s a rod connected to 2 ends...............
Pls advice gurus.

cheers
Old 30th September 2010, 12:46   #1701
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Is this something to do with your prop shaft?
Old 30th September 2010, 16:33   #1702
BHPian

Quick question, The seat belt in my scorpio tightens when you put it. its more like a elastic but i felt it was different in I10 where it was lose enough that if you pull it a bit for comfort it remains at that position and not tightens like in scorpio. it doesnt have that elastic at all. So does this make any difference?
Old 30th September 2010, 21:29   #1703
NFS
BHPian

First of all thank you all individually for replying to my note.
Please, All my opinions or comparisons are my own perspectives, and not intended to hurt anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
NFS I am not a Scorpio owner but this thread just means that Scorpio owners are active on this board in good numbers and nothing else. It is just a perspective.

About an year back there were only some 4-5 Scorp owners active on T-BHP and they all claimed bullet-proof reliability mutually admiring each others ride.Sample size was too small and it looked as if all is well and then someone started this thread.
It is not that quality or A.S.S has gone down since this thread is started just that information is collated at one place and people are better informed.

Think about it if there are no problems you won't need service stations.
I bet if some 40-50 Innova owners become active and start a thread you would have very similar thread.
You are right, I see it now, the thread was started in Apr 2007 and now running to 114 pages. I also see some of the owners really mad at the dealers/service stations/issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi NFS, I have a mixed bag of emotions with my Scorpio after an ownership of 2 years + now. It is an excellent vehicle, I was unfortunate enough to get a one which had an issue in almost all parts. But probably I am one of thse finecky type of owners who would rush to the A.S.S. at every aditional squeak, but given the experience small squeaks have lead to major issues.

There is no doubt about the power, street presence and comfort of this vehicle if you would like to look down (physically not figuratively ) on your sedan counterparts on the road.

I almost sold it couple of months back and I was getting an excellent price
but the family (wife and 3.5 yr old) couldnt bear sitting in a sedan (which i could afford aka. SX4, Linea, ANHC, Verna, Manza), so my better half suggented an excellent alternative "Sell this Scorpio, if you think it is troublesome and buy a new one"

Rightly said Amit, when we started there were a very few Scorpios around here, most of them the sturdier old gen since they have much less electronic gadgetary, with the advent of the MHawk & then the Mighty Muscular the numbers have swelled and so have the discussions and issues are being shared freely for inputs and advise.
Yes, I wanted Scorpio for a long time (ever since it was launched) and now I think I could afford one and brought me to this thread to get disappointed. Anyway, with the quote "Sell this and buy another Scorpio" makes me think that some of us are unfortunate to land on a piece with lot of issues.

Recently a friend of mine (who was almost going to book a Scorpio) chose to go the Linea way. He drove a Friends Scorpio for a week or so and was unhappy with some of the fit and finish (he owned Amby & Indica earlier). He wanted a better feel (calls it refinement) when paying close to 10L.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
You are right, at this price point, a 4x4 - is only Safari or Scorpio. I chose not to stretch further (even 12L is too much for me). I am upgrading from a Zen to Scorpio LOL.

My thoughts about Scorpio vs. Safari (my personal opinion, no offense)
a) Scorpio looks better than Safari
b) Safari is too big for me (agree with the elephant feel)
c) Safari has more leg room or space, but Scorpio is fine for me (a < 5.8 ft family)
d) Scorpio seems to me more reliable than Safari
e) Safari test drive never reached me - attitude of the dealer - concorde

Grand Vitara
a) My Budget 12L
b) Not a very popular UV (not sure if you call it SUV)
c) Maruti Suzuki makes good small cars

Endeavour
a) My Budget 12L, Endy 3L 4x4 costs whopping 22L on road
b) TD'ed it and did not feel it to be good, excellent steering wheel feel, good presence, has reverse camera, has touch screen navigation integrated, Big screens for DVD family viewing
c) Ford dealers are no better than Mahindra (in my opinion), Costly to maintain (no way close to Mahindras)
d) Too Big a vehicle, not sure if it will even get inside my parking lot, Scorpio is right fit

Fortuner
a) My Budget 12L, Fortuner costs more
b) Toyota makes good vehicle in this segment
d) Too Big a vehicle, not sure if it will even get inside my parking lot, Scorpio is right fit

Pajero
a) Old vehicle
b) Too big
c) My Budget vs Cost of Pajero
d) Did not even try a test drive

All roads leads to Scorpio (waiting to buy one since its launch)

Quote:
Well, one could add in the Innova, Xylo, Bolero, Rhino or Sumo Grande, then there are high-GC non-SUVs like the SX4 or Fusion, or bottom-end people-movers like the Eeco.
No Innova for me, did NOT want a Van. I love its capability as a MUV, handling of a small car, Comfortable ride and driving. I like it totally, but I am not buying a people mover, rather a touring SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@NFS: As SSTraveller pointed out with a budget of around 10L you are forced to choose between Safari or Scorpio if you want 4x4. Even used Pajero's and Endy's in good condition costs more than a new Scorpio/Safari.

Regarding Service if you are near the MPL garage near Vadapalani, they supposedly have good service. I have been going to India Garage in Guindy Industrial Estate and the service is okay in terms of work. However, they always try to cheat by adding some unwanted stuff like door/window protection, engine cleaning etc.. I contacted Mahindra customer care and made the India Garage guys refund these unwanted items.
I am close to Velachery/Tambaram. Wanted to get in touch with MPL (but too far, I guess) and Zulaikha (new dealer at Velachery, but NO services at Velachery it seems).

Once again thanks for all your inputs, I agree with you all. I am left with NO choice other than book a Scorpio 4x4 (or 4x2, but heart tells me 4x4).

Will let you all know or post in Booked my Car thread soon. Sorry for deviating from the topic of Issues & Solutions

Side note: I learned how to Multi-Quote, thanks to the help thread here

NFS

Last edited by NFS : 30th September 2010 at 21:32. Reason: Added: No hurting intended to personal feelings
Old 30th September 2010, 21:41   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
I am close to Velachery/Tambaram. Wanted to get in touch with MPL (but too far, I guess) and Zulaikha (new dealer at Velachery, but NO services at Velachery it seems).
You can try with Zulaikha. This belongs to the Trans cars group who own the Merc and VWs showrooms. Their service centre is in Ambattur but then you can always go to the MPL OMR for service which is fairly close from Velachery. I had bad experiences both at india garage and also at MPL hence the suggestion of zulaikha

Last edited by Mission_Safari : 30th September 2010 at 21:42.
Old 30th September 2010, 21:56   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I wanted Scorpio for a long time (ever since it was launched)
a) Scorpio looks better than Safari
b) Safari is too big for me (agree with the elephant feel)
Too Big a vehicle, not sure if it will even get inside my parking lot, Scorpio is right fit
I am left with NO choice other than book a Scorpio 4x4 (or 4x2, but heart tells me 4x4).
Hey, great decision making process on the Scorp, NFS, congrats on your choice !

You could also wait a couple of weeks more and TD the Aria, so you would have the satisfaction of having tried this out, as well. Do not know about its price and offroading abilities, though. Please do check the link below for some details :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-18-a-25.html

Wishing you a happy buying experience

Last edited by mooza : 30th September 2010 at 22:04.
Old 30th September 2010, 22:22   #1706
Senior - BHPian

NFS, do buy a 4WD.
These heavy cars sink themselves in and NEED the 4WD to cross terrains that a small Maruti Zen simply hops across!
Old 1st October 2010, 01:35   #1707
NFS
BHPian

Oh god, may all these dealers change overnight & be good to all car owners! (prayer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
You can try with Zulaikha. This belongs to the Trans cars group who own the Merc and VWs showrooms. Their service centre is in Ambattur but then you can always go to the MPL OMR for service which is fairly close from Velachery. I had bad experiences both at india garage and also at MPL hence the suggestion of zulaikha
I am really really hoping to have a better experience with Zulaikha (due to the fact that they deal with Merc & VW). Oh my god, may all these dealers change overnight and be good to all the car owners! (this is a good prayer, I think). Sorry about your experience with MPL and India Garage being bad, where do you service your beast now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hey, great decision making process on the Scorp, NFS, congrats on your choice !

You could also wait a couple of weeks more and TD the Aria, so you would have the satisfaction of having tried this out, as well. Do not know about its price and offroading abilities, though. Please do check the link below for some details :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-18-a-25.html

Wishing you a happy buying experience
NO NO Aria, it has a full-time Automatic all wheel drive (if I am not mistaken, some time it is my memory which fails, not me). Again the VAN feel and looks of the Indigo Manza (Yuck!) I really hate the Manza side profile (Please, this is my personal opinion, I mean NOT to hurt anyone's feelings hereby).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
NFS, do buy a 4WD.
These heavy cars sink themselves in and NEED the 4WD to cross terrains that a small Maruti Zen simply hops across!
Zen is a nice car, light weight, yet capable. I do NOT agree to the "cross terrain" thing (sorry it might be my bad experience), all that because of its poor ground clearance. If the car has 4 average built (65kgs) Adults, I will worry on scratching the under body on every other speed breaker. Even though I had driven with 8 Adults in this same car (sorry, I had to). Large pot holes are my nightmare (even small are not handled well, may be my driving style). This is the main reason I want to look at a big vehicle.

Adding to your point, our beloved Bhpians had driven their Scorpio 2WD to Leh/Sikkim and on very bad roads without issues. I remember reading about a BHPian driving over medians (small though) at signals over to the wrong side of the road and rush to the first spot (with all respect I took this example)

thanks all for your inputs and suggestions.
NFS
Old 1st October 2010, 10:34   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
The local mechanic says some " STAR" has to be welded as he suspects this to be the cause for the noise after gear is slaughted and expalins that this s a rod connected to 2 ends...............
Pls advice gurus.

cheers
Folks ,
Await advice please.He also suggested having a grease spray in a service station might solve the issue?

tnx
Old 1st October 2010, 11:00   #1709
BHPian

NFS,

Im a Proud owner of a Scorp VLX 4x4 for the last 11 months, so far it's been a smooth ride with no issues , some of us in this forum are lucky and some are not , problems will come and go , but one look at the Hawk and u are in Love with the beast...

The sense of Pride and awe you get when others stare at the Hawk when it rolls in to any place is something worth paying for...

Go ahead ... Enjoy,indulge !! you will not regret it...

Cheers
Raghu.
Old 1st October 2010, 13:20   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pradeep, if the issue is similar to the one quoted below, then I too have it in my Scorp, and have got used to it, like gd 1418 !

The sound did vanish after new clutch plates were installed in my Scorp (the clutch had begun to slip), but a milder "clunk" sound slowly returned, within a couple of months

Do you get the sound while releasing the clutch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
..a CLUNK sound(coming from near the clutch pedal) when i release the clutch after 1st and 2 nd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I've had this clunk sound from the clutch pedal for long and have now got used to it. Everytime I bring up this issue during servicing, the mechanic applies some oil/grease and says - 'sookha chal raha tha, greasing kar diya'. And I live with it.. It is the sound from the pedal spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
The local mechanic says some " STAR" has to be welded as he suspects this to be the cause for the noise after gear is slaughted and expalins that this is a rod connected to 2 ends...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks