Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 16:42   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Lathe charge for the bush - not sure if that might be required.

@Wolf: Please ask your SA as to what it actually is and why is it required. (Questioning him might have other advantages for you also. )
Old 17th September 2010, 16:44   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Not at all! the SA said some sound coming from the rear suspension when going over potholes, something like "khat". so he advised me to change the bushes.
I believe in preventive maintainence (), so i decided to change the bushes.

charges were:

1) Bush lower link - 4 pieces - 132x4 - Rs. 528
2) Bush lower link - 4 pieces - 128x4 -Rs. 512
3) Bush pan hard rod - 1 piece - Rs. 169
4) Bush pan hard rod - 1 piece - Rs. 171
5) Cotton waste - 1 - Rs. 8
Total - Rs. 1392/-

Labour charges:
1) Rear Link Bush - Rs. 800
2) Torsion bar - Rs. 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
May be lathe charges : for inserting the bush into the manifold. anyway, turner / lathe charges quoted is very high. usually it is about Rs. 350. try to bargain, but with an ASC, you may have little chance !
I'm confused guys. It seems that Raj has got the job done for much less? The rep didn't mention all these spares. All he said was that bushing will cost 2k.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 17th September 2010 at 16:45.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:51   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Wolfji:

Please talk to your SA; the solution to your queries. Ask him for a breakup and things might clear up. Maybe he gave a "rough & round" figure!
Old 17th September 2010, 17:00   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Wolfji:

Please talk to your SA; the solution to your queries. Ask him for a breakup and things might clear up. Maybe he gave a "rough & round" figure!
That makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 17th September 2010 at 17:01.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:23   #1655
BHPian

Wolfheart,

checked with an ASC - India garage, Bangalore. Rear suspension bushes, labour and recambering ( for the leaf springs ) is quoted Rs. 4300.00 - said these are approximate costs and did not give any breakup !
Old 17th September 2010, 17:34   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
recambering ( for the leaf springs )
Which model Scorpio is this? Is the spring progressive?

Spike
Old 17th September 2010, 17:38   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Wolfheart,

checked with an ASC - India garage, Bangalore. Rear suspension bushes, labour and recambering ( for the leaf springs ) is quoted Rs. 4300.00 - said these are approximate costs and did not give any breakup !
Wow! Thanks buddy.

Would you know if the Scorpio Vlx (2008) has leaf springs or a coil suspension? I was just checking on the Mahindra site and it says coil suspension. Would that make any difference?

@Spike: Mine is a Vlx M Hawk 2008 model.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 17th September 2010 at 17:40.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:55   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Wow! Thanks buddy.

Would you know if the Scorpio Vlx (2008) has leaf springs or a coil suspension? I was just checking on the Mahindra site and it says coil suspension. Would that make any difference?

@Spike: Mine is a Vlx M Hawk 2008 model.
Scorpio MHawk 2008 has Coil Springs, you just need to bend and see the undercarriage, no pattas (leaf springs) there, only huge springs.

Last edited by m_upreti : 17th September 2010 at 18:02.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:59   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio VLX (2008) always came with multi link suspension at the rear (Coil suspension). No camber settings are done on this type of suspension.

Spike

EDIT- Already answered by m_upreti

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 17th September 2010 at 17:59. Reason: see edit
Old 17th September 2010, 18:01   #1660
BHPian

As far as I know, there is no turner/lathe involved in replacing suspension bushes. Given the right tools and a manual, a lay person can do it. The labor charges (as always) are inflated.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:01   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's an earlier post by M Upreti where he has mentioned that the suspension bushes were changed under warranty. However the rep at G3 told me that I would have to pay for them separately. Why are there different standards at different ASCs? Or are our ASCs trying to rip us off?
I go to G3 in Navi Mumbai, but always after complaining to the Mahindra Customer care who route the issue to them, the A.S.S. people then call me to fix up the appointment. I got Front RHS bush replaced 2 weeks back under warrently.

The washing and vaccuming has always been complimentary till date.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:56   #1662
BHPian

Guys I spoke with a couple of other ASC's. I also spoke with the advisor who handle's Raj's Scorpio which is the same model as mine(Thanks Raj). They confirmed that to remove the bushes and to insert them they have to take it to some workshop. (lathe, turner something like that).

Finally, I just told the rep to go ahead and do the job. I am going to ask them to charge a lower rate on the labor 'cos it looks pretty inflated. The Mahindra Scorpio website says that labor charges are standard and ASC's should charge @ Rs. 375/- per hour depending on the job. I've been quoted Rs. 1600 as labor in addition to the Rs. 1,000 turner charges.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:24   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been advised that rear suspension is making some noise. The bushes may have to be replaced
Quote:
They have found the suspsnsion bushing(rear) to be cracked
Quote:
They confirmed that to remove the bushes and to insert them they have to take it to some workshop. (lathe, turner something like that).
The Mahindra Scorpio website says that labor charges are standard and ASC's should charge @ Rs. 375/- per hour depending on the job. I've been quoted Rs. 1600 as labor in addition to the Rs. 1,000 turner charges.
Looks like the bush needs to be custom fabricated, to suit the hole in which the bush is supposed to sit.

Now why will a standard (low cost) spare bush not fit in the first place ? Could be that the hole would have enlarged to a slightly higher size, and the hole size can be measured only after the bush is removed.

This will necessitate the fabrication of a new bush to suit the worn out hole (or downsize an existing oversized bush), which can be done only on a lathe.

Maybe Spike can confirm if my chain of thoughts is correct on this

Why did the bushing hole enlarge so early in the first place, is a question that beats me.

Last edited by mooza : 18th September 2010 at 13:25.
Old 18th September 2010, 14:10   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
This will necessitate the fabrication of a new bush to suit the worn out hole (or downsize an existing oversized bush), which can be done only on a lathe.

Maybe Spike can confirm if my chain of thoughts is correct on this

Why did the bushing hole enlarge so early in the first place, is a question that beats me.
They hadn't even touched the suspension when they gave me a quote. Or is this a ploy to just squeeze as much money as possible from a lay person like me?
Old 18th September 2010, 17:42   #1665
Senior - BHPian

J
Quote:

Finally, I just told the rep to go ahead and do the job. I am going to ask them to charge a lower rate on the labor 'cos it looks pretty inflated. The Mahindra Scorpio website says that labor charges are standard and ASC's should charge @ Rs. 375/- per hour depending on the job. I've been quoted Rs. 1600 as labor in addition to the Rs. 1,000 turner charges.
Your vehicle is under warranty. What is the Max km for warrenty on suspension? Please check first and then only authorise the work
A.s.s work in funny way my safari is 2 yes 25k. On slight Kuch sound they replaced bush FOC during 2yrs. Initially they said it is dust but I insisted that I don't want any big expense after primary warranty so they replaced during service whereas tanveer (tsk1979) had to pay for bush and labour was free. So check what manual says on suspension warranty .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks