Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:41   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Inherent flaw in basic design. Happens on Sumo's too. Not sure about Safari's, though.
does not happen in stock safari but if you try fitting 7J aftermarket alloys you need to cut front fenders by couple of inch and then side panels gather muck but inside of doors remains dry.

Mathur sahab just 26K in four years.. well I think you won't face much problems for next 4 also.
From what I have heard most money intensive problems in Diesels start after 50K.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd August 2010 at 22:47.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:14   #1562
BHPian

Does anyone know if M&M ever looks at this thread? It's like we are a bunch of free (in fact self funded and funds M&M too) testers for them.

I'm on a serious war with M&M to answer the list of issues and pain that I have gone through in one year of ownership. So far, their response is that they will correct the outstanding issues, i.e issues still open as on today. No positive feedback on doing a post-mortem and explanation of why those happened. I think that is the way they work. I brought this LEMON thing to their notice and I was told every vehicle is quality tested. Now, I'm seriously hunting for their quality manager to review his test plan! We actually should have T-BHP meet with their QA team.

I also mentioned this self healing technology in M&M vehicles, and it looks like they too depend on that technology to take care of the issues.

I agree that it has a great Engine and road presence (well, both the Engine and the aesthetics does not looks like designed by M&M and the rest certainly does!) and the rest is sub-standard. After one year, I would say if you can manage a day in every month at the A$$(provided you have extended warranty cover) and keep replacing parts, it's a real good vehicle to own.
Old 24th August 2010, 18:30   #1563
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen at least three 2007 Scorpios which have corrosion issues.What are the experiences of Scorpio TBHPians ?

As far as I know,Maruti,Toyota and Honda do a metal treatment before painting and that prevents corrosion .

Does the Scorpio enjoy this treatment?
Old 24th August 2010, 20:28   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
Does anyone know if M&M ever looks at this thread? It's like we are a bunch of free (in fact self funded and funds M&M too) testers for them.
There's a good chance that a certain someone, and that too quite high up, from M & M would be looking at this thread. But from what I've seen till now on the forum, he only acknowledges and replies to goody goody stuff about all things M & M. I hope I am wrong - he might even be helping out folks with their vehicle issues behind the scenes via PMs; but as I said, there's no visible evidence of it.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:30   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I have seen at least three 2007 Scorpios which have corrosion issues.What are the experiences of Scorpio TBHPians ?
my 2 yr old mHawk has some corrosion on the roof rails.

funnily, no such issues on my 8 yr old non-CRDe.
Old 25th August 2010, 01:28   #1566
NFS
BHPian

Happened to be on Facebook page of Scorpio (search "Mahindra Scorpio" using your facebook search), and saw a Mahindra representative asking the owners for sending emails to a particular ID (did not want to post it here, not sure if I am permitted to do so) with your problems or issues with dealers. Some of the owners were also thanking the support they received by posting the email.

Hope that helps.

NFS
Old 25th August 2010, 07:34   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
my 2 yr old mHawk has some corrosion on the roof rails.

funnily, no such issues on my 8 yr old non-CRDe.
Hehe, Raj, that is what I'm trying to say - they don't make 'em like that anymore!
Other than so called engine improvements I see the quality of everything else heading downward!
Ironically, the more issues you ask the service centre to look into the more will keep cropping up! Sometimes it is better to leave well alone!
The driver side door on my Scorpio has a rattle but I have never asked M&M to fix it! I do not intend to have it attended to unless it becomes too annoying!
Old 25th August 2010, 09:44   #1568
Senior - BHPian

@ anup saab: i totally agree. infact, even i have mentioned that the quality of mahindras are declining with every passing year! the rugged & tough scorpios are history now. i got a chance to drive the refresh & believe me, even in a short drive, i actually felt the quality levels of this one to be inferior than my mHawk.

what still impresses me though is the exterior build quality of the scorpio. everything from the bumpers to the panels are built tough to withstand abuses. thats good.

even i follow the "if it aint broke, dont touch it" principle when it comes to mahinra's A.S.S, they are that good!
Old 25th August 2010, 12:22   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Inherent flaw in basic design. Happens on Sumo's too. Not sure about Safari's, though.
Not there in the Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
...Ironically, the more issues you ask the service centre to look into the more will keep cropping up! Sometimes it is better to leave well alone!...
This is true for almost all the service centers that we have and I am sure this is not restricted to just our country. No one is perfect and for any given service center, our vehicle is just a vehicle for them, just a number.

Best thing that one can follow is

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
... "if it aint broke, dont touch it" ...
Now apart from all these, talking to Dev over the drive to Athirapally gave me couple of surprises with respect to offering in Scorpio.
- ABS is now standard across all models
- Ability to slide and adjust the middle row seat also
- Ability to set the wiper delay across all the speed settings
- Having good fog lamps that allow one to drive comforably at 80kmph.

The ABS and sliding of the middle row caught my attention. Two things that add value. A big vehicle without ABS is something that, as per me, goes against logic!
Old 25th August 2010, 16:05   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Now apart from all these, talking to Dev over the drive to Athirapally gave me couple of surprises with respect to offering in Scorpio.
- ABS is now standard across all models
not in LX, the base variant.

Quote:
- Ability to slide and adjust the middle row seat also
only in 8 seater. in 7 seater, the side mounted jump seats would restrict the motion of the middle seat.
Old 25th August 2010, 22:45   #1571
Senior - BHPian

I have a question regarding the tyre sensors. Has anyone changed their stock VLX rims to a aftermarket alloys and still have no problems with Tyres sensors? I came to know from other posts that while fitting an aftermarket alloys to VLX model, then the sensors screws up so was wondering if someone was able to tackle this issue. If so please explain how you did it.

Last edited by bblost : 26th August 2010 at 10:58. Reason: Font Tags removed. Please do not copy and paste from other editors.
Old 26th August 2010, 09:00   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I have a question regarding the tyre sensors. Has anyone changed their stock VLX rims to a aftermarket alloys and still have no problems with Tyres sensors? I came to know from other posts that while fitting an aftermarket alloys to VLX model, then the sensors screws up so was wondering if someone was able to tackle this issue. If so please explain how you did it.[/FONT][/SIZE]
Its not a difficult Job,most of reputed tyre dealers,who deal with Alloys,do this.
They just remove the TPMS sensor,from the Stock alloy,and mount on the replacement one.
But its better to get it done from someone,who has done this job before.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:56   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Its not a difficult Job,most of reputed tyre dealers,who deal with Alloys,do this.
They just remove the TPMS sensor,from the Stock alloy,and mount on the replacement one.
But its better to get it done from someone,who has done this job before.
Pls be careful with the sensors if you are doing tyre replacement from outside, last time the A.S.S. changed my tyres they managed to damage 2 of those and had to replace them (I think each costs 1200 Rs).
Old 26th August 2010, 11:02   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Pls be careful with the sensors if you are doing tyre replacement from outside, last time the A.S.S. changed my tyres they managed to damage 2 of those and had to replace them (I think each costs 1200 Rs).
A Hell Lot of scorpio VLX's run on aftermarket Rims here in north India.
When I was getting Alloys for My SLE,the tyre replacement guy,was looking for TPMS sensor,then i told him its SLE not VLX.
Most of them know how to do this.
Old 26th August 2010, 18:16   #1575
Senior - BHPian

It shall be my pleasure.. I've my very very serious doubts about the warranty issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
And who better than you to guide me on this!?
However, with my sparse usage I hope I shall not be looking to much maintenence issues.
AND, I have left the long pending matter of morning sickness at high altitudes as a warranty-related job to be done whenever required! I hope they will honour that commitment!

I don't know if anyone from M&M sees this and if at all it is seen then surely must be thick-skinned not to react.

There is an exclusive Scorpio owners only forum on Yahoo consisting of active 500 members. Mahindra_Scorpio : Mahindra Scorpio

Members here have escalated issues of Scorpio and ASC related problems right upto Pawan Goenka & Anand Mahindra, eliciting responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post

I'm on a serious war with M&M to answer the list of issues and pain that I have gone through in one year of ownership. So far, their response is that they will correct the outstanding issues, i.e issues still open as on today. No positive feedback on doing a post-mortem and explanation of why those happened. I think that is the way they work. I brought this LEMON thing to their notice and I was told every vehicle is quality tested. Now, I'm seriously hunting for their quality manager to review his test plan! We actually should have T-BHP meet with their QA team.

I also mentioned this self healing technology in M&M vehicles, and it looks like they too depend on that technology to take care of the issues.

I agree that it has a great Engine and road presence (well, both the Engine and the aesthetics does not looks like designed by M&M and the rest certainly does!) and the rest is sub-standard. After one year, I would say if you can manage a day in every month at the A$$(provided you have extended warranty cover) and keep replacing parts, it's a real good vehicle to own.

Most Viewed