Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 18:01   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scorpio Mhawk Clutch Failure & Break Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Unless I open the bonnet and check the oil levels regularly, there is no way I can predict an situation like 4X4 had!
@getsurya:

My clutch fluid reservoir had fluid in it, so the failure was not due to the fluid leaking out completely. Almost seems like something snapped inside.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 20:39   #92
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Do you have the defective piece with you? If so take a good hard look at it and tell us what you think.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th May 2011, 22:42   #93
BHPian

@4x4 Addict
thank you for starting this thread Just today advised my friend to stay away from scorpio and he booked Safari also gave him links to this thread and also the threads of Scorpios getting stolen.
If this matter is not addressed soon enough then customers might walk away from scorpio.

Same fate was shared by my schoolmate his 2010 Mhawk done around 17k kms with all service done on DOT time, Not a service missed or delayed.
He and his family were on a trip to Goa while on the Mumbai-Goa highway the CSC gave up and he was stuck in 5th gear on the HIGHWAY First lane luckily no one was behind me for quite a distance, so he could slowly drag the vehicle to a side and stop it in a safe manner without further damge.
What would had happened if this same incident had happpened with a High speed bus or traffic behind or beside him ?
What would be his fate ?
Another addition to accidents in India thread ?

Now his vehicle is repaired under warranty and now he planning to approach the Newspapers and Media for the same issue.
Such Failures More than inconvenience are more of a threat to Safety of the vehicle and its Occupants.
As usual M&M A.S.S has No answers but only say "Hota Hai Saaarr Hyper kyon Ho Rahe Ho ?"

Last edited by jatinpatel : 30th May 2011 at 22:45.
Old 31st May 2011, 07:19   #94
BHPian

4x4addict, what were the parts replaced? If possible, please post some pictures of the defective components.

Also, since you mentioned that the Scorp's manufactured sometime in 2010, had a slightly different design, is it possible for our cars to be converted to the new design?

Last edited by aviorp : 31st May 2011 at 07:34.
Old 31st May 2011, 09:45   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@4x4 Addict

Now his vehicle is repaired under warranty and now he planning to approach the Newspapers and Media for the same issue.
Such Failures More than inconvenience are more of a threat to Safety of the vehicle and its Occupants.
As usual M&M A.S.S has No answers but only say "Hota Hai Saaarr Hyper kyon Ho Rahe Ho ?"
Hi, Could you please ask your friend to get in touch with me or alternately wrtie directly to helpline@autocarindia.com. Since i also personally went thru this ordeal, i am trying to collate all the responses and make a strong case against M&M... do let me know if this could be done.. you can mail me on manu.bharadwaj@gmail.com

Regards,

Manu
manubharadwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 22:46   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
...the Scorp's manufactured sometime in 2010, had a slightly different design, is it possible for our cars to be converted to the new design?
Just a quick clarification on an old (but still relevant) thread, for the attention of owners and prospective owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The old slave cylinder - no leaks there.
Attachment 553965

The pressure plate and CSC were replaced under warranty... Thank you, Koncept Auto!
Please note that the clutch slave cylinder on certain models of Scorpio mHawk had a faulty design and were prone to leakage. M&M had put out a TSB to change all such CSCs on a *need to* basis. If there is a clutch-related complaint and the clutch is opened, the CSC is then replaced automatically under warranty. Newer Scorpios do not have this issue.
Old 28th August 2011, 08:41   #97
BHPian

I faced similar service issue and quality measures of M&M. I want to voice out with you about the issues.

Here is what happened to me. I dont feel safe driving my scorpio after this experience and also after reading all your experiences.

I had Maruthi Esteem before, used it for 5 years and trust never had a break down even a single day.

To my luck the problem did not happen while I was driving.

There was new M&M service station opened very close to my house. They called up couple of times to come and visit the place and get the service done. I had my second free service for 10K coming. Though these guys were close by, I dint wanted to take chance, and gave it to a well known M&M guy Sireesh auto. Though not impressive the service was done fine.

I drove about 1K km after the free service. I get a call again from this new M&M service "Chrome motors" guy saying they are running a free check up camp and invited me for the same. I thought it would be a chance to know these guys for future services.

In less than 15 mins the guy had a 75 point checklist ticked and said everything is checked and is fine. Strangely I had noticed belt noise the previous night, I suddenly recalled and mentioned the same to the SA. When observed the power steering and power brake belt had worn out and was almost in the verge of getting cut.

1. Now, how did this guy tick the 75 points checklist without noticing this?
2. Can the belt get to this state in 1K km drive? As my previous service was done at 10K km reading. So its hardly less than a month or 1K km driven after the service. The previous service guy at "Sireesh auto" dint notice the faulty belt.

Like you all said, it is unlikely for a belt to get worn out so soon. Not atleast for 10K km. I argued this point. They took photos and took about 1/2 an hour to come back and say "Ok it will be replaced with warranty".

While this was going on, another service guy looks at it and says. "You got to replace the tensioner too, as the faulty belt would have damaged it. The service manager disagreed to it and said only belt needs to be changed. He then calls this mechanic and thats it, that mechanic did not come close to my vehicle after that.

Now these service guy are running service station without the spare parts. For every part they need, they run around 10KM to get it. On any given day, 10 km travel in bangalore is 45 mins to 1 Hour. I get the belt after 1 and 1/2 hour and to realize that the belt was smaller.

3. How? I mean they don't know what is the size of the belt?

Ok, they took another 1 and 1/2 hour to get another belt. And guess what, they get the same size belt this time too.

It was already 5 hours passed and I was really impatient. I had no choice but to wait. I could not use the old belt and go, I would never know when it will get cut.

After another 1 and 1/2 hour another belt was received and this time it did fit well. The size was 1170 for others to know. They too the old faulty belt along to get the right size.

About the tensioner I don't know what made service manager feel otherwise. He replaced the tensioner too.

I gave my feedback about all the hungama they did to get the belt replaced. I drove back home thinking all problem solved. All this was just yesterday

I had to pick my wife from station early morning today at 6.30. When I started the engine I realized that power steering and power breaks are not working. I opened up the hood and saw that the belt has come out..

4. What the heck is happening here? I have called the help line and informed. May be they will come at 9 am today and rectify it. Even if they do I'm not sure if I can drive my vehicle without any fear of breakdown.

How can I trust these guys. I dint go to some local mechanic for the problem. They are authorized M&M service stations.

New service guys went up and down to just fix the belt which dint even last 5 km. Old service guys dint even check the fault. What kind of service is M&M providing? M&M need to really look at these and review their process man.

I'll update more about these again. Hoping I do get a satisfied resolution to this problem.
Old 8th September 2011, 09:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a quick clarification on an old (but still relevant) thread, for the attention of owners and prospective owners.

Please note that the clutch slave cylinder on certain models of Scorpio mHawk had a faulty design and were prone to leakage. M&M had put out a TSB to change all such CSCs on a *need to* basis. If there is a clutch-related complaint and the clutch is opened, the CSC is then replaced automatically under warranty. Newer Scorpios do not have this issue.

Are you sure that the new Scorpios produced will not face the issue of clutch failure? Also, whats a TSB and CSC? Even if M&M assures to replace it under warranty, under what peace of mind can one drive a ticking timebomb ready to go off anytime?
Old 8th September 2011, 09:54   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Are you sure that the new Scorpios produced will not face the issue of clutch failure?
How can I be sure? But one assumes better reliability with a design change.
Quote:
Also, whats a TSB and CSC?
TSB=Technical Service Bulletin
CSC=Clutch Slave Cylinder
Quote:
...under what peace of mind can one drive a ticking timebomb ready to go off anytime?
Huh?! A chance of a clutch failure is a ticking time bomb?? What do you think might be the worst case scenario if a CSC fails?
Old 8th September 2011, 10:08   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Huh?! A chance of a clutch failure is a ticking time bomb?? What do you think might be the worst case scenario if a CSC fails?
Well, by ticking timebomb I meant, unpredictable as to when it will happen, but its bound to happen. Also, worst case scenarios have already been discussed here. Getting stranded with family in the middle of nowhere might be the worst that one can think of.
Old 8th September 2011, 10:25   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I would like to share a very disappointing experience that happened to me on Satuday, 14th May. Before I describe the painful event, let me give a background of my vehicle.
I had the same problem
Scorpio VLX July 2010
Kms - 26000 kms
The same issue cropped up in my scorpio too, my luck was that i found that the clutch pedal had totally gone to the floor when i tried to start the car from the office. I called up the breakdown service guys and they said that since it is 5pm and the location was thirvallur they can come only the next day, i had no choice but had to look for a alternate car to get back home i was trying to reach the other *** guys and being a engineer my self thought to have a look as to any oil was leaking or not, i found that the oil level in the reservoir had gone down and the oil color has changed from light yellow color (DOT-4) to grey. and checked for any leaks i didnt find any and to my surprise the pedal was back in position again. So i slowly drove back the car to the nearest *** and left it for change of slave cylinder.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 21st January 2012 at 23:30. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 5th October 2011, 12:49   #102
passionate1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kumar - hello after a very long time. The clutch assembly must last for the life of the vehicle. The typical life of a vehicle is considered as 3,50,000 kilometers. Customer vehicles rarely go the distance. Our vehicles run 1000 kms per day. Your vehicle also runs predominantly on highways. For unit distance covered by the clutch, if I share the data, you will be pleased to know it under differing cycles of run like highway, city, mixed etc. Unfortunately, this information remains classified for obvious reason. FOS (factor of safety) of the clutch is also an important design parameter.

Dear 4*4 addict - sorry about the incident. The design is very robust, so this should not have happened.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir,

I own a September 2009 Scorpio Mhawk LX.
I am very particular about maintenance of my vehicle & clocked around 34000 Kms.
I faced a similar issue of abrupt failure of clutch.
There was no indication or symptoms of any performance deterioration in the clutch & the car was running normally in second gear
Suddenly the clutch pedal dropped completely. The engine was running though & the gearshift lever became hard.
I engaged the first gear and parked it safely. There was no leakage anywhere & the oil level in clutch master cylinder was maximum.
I even tried bleeding the assembly, in vain.
No leakage in the gearbox (slave).
The vehicle had to be towed to Mahindra Authorized Service - Koncept Automobiles, Noida.
The master cylinder assembly as well as slave cylinder assembly was replaced under warranty & the vehicle was returned next day.

I am surprised at the NON RELIABILITY of such a robust vehicle like scorpio. This is the worst experience till date - when the car broke down & i was stranded. I never experienced such a failure with new generation of cars - from Suzuki 800 onwards.
Earlier cars like ambassador etc. were quite unreliable in this aspect.
It is a pity that Scorpio too falls in the same category.
The car is running OK now. But this incident has jolted my belief I am seriously reconsidering my decision to continue owning a scorpio.

Please let me have your mindshare.

Best Regards,

Pradyumna Dixit

Old 5th October 2011, 21:40   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionate1977 View Post
I am surprised at the NON RELIABILITY of such a robust vehicle like scorpio. This is the worst experience till date - when the car broke down & i was stranded. I never experienced such a failure with new generation of cars - from Suzuki 800 onwards.
This was my first failure too and I was astonished and disappointed that this happened to a well maintained Scorpio only about a year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionate1977 View Post
The car is running OK now. But this incident has jolted my belief I am seriously reconsidering my decision to continue owning a scorpio.
I too try to avoid going long distance at night with family.
Old 21st January 2012, 09:09   #104
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello all,

My 2009 scorpio's clutch gave way in the middle of the road, due to the oil leak issue, a couple of days back. Now the workshop guys say the CP has to be replaced along with the cylinders. A total damage of 16 grand - 12k for the CP and the rest for the cylinder. While the later is covered by the warranty, I am being asked to pay for the CP. Since this problem happened because of the oil leak - shouldn't the warranty cover the CP too? Has anyone taken this up with mahindra? Would appreciate advice based on past experience.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:07   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham View Post
...12k for the CP...
The pressure plate is the only part that wears out due to use, and may need to be paid for - and it doesn't cost 12k (IIRC it is less than 4k). If the pressure plate and clutch slave cylinder are both to be replaced, extended warranty will cover both. The ASC is taking you for a ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks