Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2019, 13:57   #46
kkg
BHPian

Re: CNG in automatic transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
I wonder why OEMs are not heeding to any voice of customers.
People want Automatic (AMT, AT, CVT) with CNG, I guess it would benefit not just private but fleet also [poor fellows spend about 8~10 hours behind wheel]

IMHO, AMT + CNG would definitely give OEMs a run for their money.

Is it possible to have a survey on this forum to understand how many would actually opt for an Automatic with CNG !
Bang on. I have a friend of mine who is looking to upgrade from his erstwhile CNG Estilo to something bigger. He travels more than 70 kms daily in office rush hours, so he desires for a auto box with economy of CNG.

What I don't understand is why are all the companies neglecting this combo of AUTO+CNG? It is obvious that both these are purely and squarely aimed at people who drive good distances daily in traffic.Now some of companies say that this would increase the cost but why not put this atleast as option.I mean If a customer is willing to order a celerio/grand I 10 CNG plus AMT/CVT, how hard can it be for a company to manufacture one when they have all the things already in place.

As for my above mentioned friend we are scouting for last gen Amaze auto which will be retrofitted with CNG eventually.
kkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 00:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
But I found no information on CNG fitment on Dzire with AMT box.

I am also considering Grand i10 with 4-speed TC unit for CNG fitment.

Can someone please help?
Any update on this? We recently bought I10 nios and hoping to try a CNG fitment
ramradcliff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 17:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
Any update on this? We recently bought I10 nios and hoping to try a CNG fitment
I hope you are not really contemplating fitting a CNG kit on a brand new car as it would void any warranty you have the car. I would suggest other means to reduce the running cost like ride sharing like S-ride or quick ride which would help to reduce the burden of fuel cost. It is a much better alternative than fitting CNG kits and robbing yourself of the boot space. It would have been better if you had bought a factory fitted CNG car itself.
Old 10th December 2019, 20:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I hope you are not really contemplating fitting a CNG kit on a brand new car as it would void any warranty you have the car.
No no, something to ponder upon in future. But just wanted to check if it is even possible to have a CNG + AMT combination
Old 30th March 2020, 11:48   #50
BHPian

A very important thread this is, as there is a dearth of material and examples available on the internet of cars with AT and CNG combo.

I think this combo will work wonderfully. I have an iGen i10 2013 model which was fitted with CNG at the time of purchase, at the dealer's end itself (hence, not voiding the warranty). It has done 80k kms and is used primarily to tackle Delhi Traffic Woes along with ensuring the running cost is in check.

I want to upgrade now and I'm inclined towards a pre-worshipped petrol AT car (Maybe an Amaze, Jazz or a Grand i10) as the left leg now demands rest and an AT will be much easier for dad too, and want to fit the CNG kit to it. Has anyone on the forum done this? Anyone with experience of such conversion?

P.S. I speak from experience that the running costs of a CNG car is much lesser than that of a Diesel or a Petrol Car. (As I also have a Diesel Vento and a Petrol i20 at home)
Archie_27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 12:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Out of curiosity - In case of an AMT automatic car, wouldn't installing a CNG kit require remapping the AMT logic also?

The AMTs are generally tuned to use RPM, overall speed & accelerator inputs to make upshift/downshift decisions. The power of the engine at same RPM when running on CNG is lower than the same engine running petrol. So the AMT might get confused quite a bit and end up fumbling up & down shifts - especially one is a light footed driver (which I think majority AMT opting people are).
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 23:31   #52
BHPian

I'm planning to get an automatic car sooner. My question is can I fix CNG after market kit on any automatic. Will it void warranty from manufacturer. Coz after 1 or 2 long trips or may be 6 months down the line once the itch for the new car fades, everyone will ask for the mileage, maintenance and reliability of the vehicle. Need some suggestions in Pune or Chennai as I intend to purchase my car from either of them.
Also suggest if engine remapping can offset some issues with power delivery due to CNG cycle.
Old 1st March 2022, 01:13   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssathiyanarayan View Post
I'm planning to get an automatic car sooner. My question is can I fix CNG after market kit on any automatic. Will it void warranty from manufacturer. Coz after 1 or 2 long trips or may be 6 months down the line once the itch for the new car fades, everyone will ask for the mileage, maintenance and reliability of the vehicle. Need some suggestions in Pune or Chennai as I intend to purchase my car from either of them.
Also suggest if engine remapping can offset some issues with power delivery due to CNG cycle.
If you can get the CNG kit fitted by the dealer, the warranty may not be voided. This I did on my Hyundai i10 (non auto) but different manufacturers might have different understanding of "dealer fitted". In Hyundai's case, they were doing the fitting in their own dedicated service station, so they gave me the warranty, but I doubt others will be as forthcoming.

Engine remap is not advisable as you vehicle will continue to run on petrol, with the push of a toggle button somewhere on your dash. After the initial feel of lower power, u wont even notice the reduced power.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 16:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
If you can get the CNG kit fitted by the dealer, the warranty may not be voided. This I did on my Hyundai i10 (non auto) but different manufacturers might have different understanding of "dealer fitted". In Hyundai's case, they were doing the fitting in their own dedicated service station, so they gave me the warranty, but I doubt others will be as forthcoming.

Engine remap is not advisable as you vehicle will continue to run on petrol, with the push of a toggle button somewhere on your dash. After the initial feel of lower power, u wont even notice the reduced power.
kosjam this is quite interesting. Yes i've to agree that it all depends on the ASS of the dealership. Its going to be either bitter or sweet .

I was more interested to know about the CNG kit addition on to an automatic transmission. Wanted to know whether any technical challenges are involved in them compared to the manual transmission. Coz to date have not seen a single OEM provide the combination of an automatic + CNG in any of their vehicles/segments.

The question of engine remap came as i wanted to know if the same will aid in tuning the performance of the CNG taking into account of the automatic transmission
Old 4th March 2022, 17:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssathiyanarayan View Post
I was more interested to know about the CNG kit addition on to an automatic transmission. Wanted to know whether any technical challenges are involved in them compared to the manual transmission. Coz to date have not seen a single OEM provide the combination of an automatic + CNG in any of their vehicles/segments.
Let me preface the answer with this simple fact. Purchasing a car in India, even today, is still viewed as a luxury, not a necessity, and hence, the optics of the purchase are critically important.

Actually there is no technical challenge. The only issues are image and monetary. You see, the auto transmission is considered a luxury item over and above a base vehicle. The CNG is considered a fuel mainly for those who are on a budget, plus it has the connection with Taxis and autos. Hence, how can a person who can afford an auto transmission vehicle, stand in line with a taxi and autorickshaw to fill up this cheap fuel.

The monetary issue is in the same vein. Both CNG and the auto transmission individually add a significant sum of money over and above the petrol variant. Add both together and the cost of the vehicle can cross into the next segment of vehicles. This cost addition is so high that manufacturers don't even bother offering CNG even in their manual top end variants of many cars.

I hope that answers your question.
Old 4th March 2022, 18:58   #56
BHPian

I have seen trucks and BEST buses in Bombay retrofitted with CNG, so if a diesel engine can handle a CNG, I see no reason why an AT Petrol engine shouldn't.
and this thread by Frank Mehta is gold - Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!
Old 4th March 2022, 19:05   #57
BHPian

I don't understand cars much in spite of my brother owning Honda City Automatic (2012 or something) before. He had fit CNG in his Honda City and it was working fine but he used to complain that it was a bad idea fitting CNG in his automatic car and even mechanic told him so.
I never asked why and all but just putting it out there.

Now he has sold that car and he has a 2011 Toyota Corolla he got 2nd hand and it is manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks