Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 19:25   #3646
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai Team-BHP Meets: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi53 View Post
Yeah that's the toll gate I was talking about. It's the property adjoining VGP 3rd main road and ECR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Thanks a ton mate. Will post pics and a small review tomorrow.
Spotted this karting place today, its at the bend before the Marine institute before the toll booth, kind of a hard to spot location since you are usually looking right at the turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi Narayan, long time..we will have a meet in your return shortly..
Yeah Chennai meet is overdue
Old 11th June 2012, 11:57   #3647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Spotted this karting place today, its at the bend before the Marine institute before the toll booth, kind of a hard to spot location since you are usually looking right at the turn.
Yup, It is a bit hard to spot.

ECR Speedway - Chennai.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=12....ed=0CAsQ8gEwAA

Charge 240 Rs for 5 minutes. They do track your lap timing, which is a good thing. They only allowed using 7hp karts though. Lap record is 40.696 by Ashwin Sundar. The best time I could manage was 45.817, may be I could knock another 2.5 sec on a good day. Any ways it was good fun.
Quote:
ECR Speedway, a karting track situated on the East Cost road, Uthandi village, was inaugurated on Wednesday. The track, 600 metres long and six metres wide, will be managed and operated by Meco Motorsports in association with ECR Speedway.

There will be recreational karting for the public besides Kart Induction Programmes Level 1 & 2 training sessions on weekends. The training programmes will be supervised by Akbar Ebrahim, President of Meco Motorsports.

The facility will provide karts of different power outputs as well as different sizes such as Baby Karts (5 bhp), Mini/Micro Karts (12 bhp), and Junior/Senior Karts (7 bhp, 9 bhp, 18 bhp, and 24 bhp).

In addition to the karts, the facility will have two racing simulators, the organisers said. The track will be open between noon and 11 p.m. on weekdays and between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m. on weekends. S. Sudhakar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, presided over the inauguration.
The Hindu : Today's Paper / SPORT : ECR Speedway inaugurated

Few videos.

May be we could arrange a meet at this place, if you guys are interested.

Last edited by ecenandu : 11th June 2012 at 12:00.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:13   #3648
BHPian

Quote:

ECR Speedway - Chennai.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=12.868116,80.243818&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x3a525b10e329036d:0x4c4aef54f55d231,% 2B12%C2%B0+52'+3.95%22,+%2B80%C2%B0+14'+48.61%22&g l=in&ei=rrPUT6KUCcbyrQeirrz8Dw&oi=geocode_result&v ed=0CAsQ8gEwAA

Charge 240 Rs for 5 minutes. They do track your lap timing, which is a good thing. They only allowed using 7hp karts though. Lap record is 40.696 by Ashwin Sundar. The best time I could manage was 45.817, may be I could knock another 2.5 sec on a good day. Any ways it was good fun.

The Hindu : Today's Paper / SPORT : ECR Speedway inaugurated

Few videos.
ECR Speedway lap - YouTube
Go karting accident - ECR Speedway. - YouTube

I went there too but I somehow prefer Kart attack to this. In kart attack the tracks are wider than this also the track is awesome. But in ECR speedway there are too many hairpin bends...we cant even accelarate the karts to their full potential ! Also when we went the timings were not recorded.
Old 13th June 2012, 13:37   #3649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
I went there too but I somehow prefer Kart attack to this. In kart attack the tracks are wider than this also the track is awesome. But in ECR speedway there are too many hairpin bends...we cant even accelarate the karts to their full potential ! Also when we went the timings were not recorded.
I haven't been to kart attack, will definitely try next time. But in ECR speedway the last two corners you could do full throttle all the way till the first corner. BTW which kart did you drive. I drove the 7hp senior Kart. Is the track at kart attack, tarmac or cement track? When a guy inquired why they are charging a premium when compared to Kart attack, he said ECR speedway is a tarmac track (Vs concrete track) as well as it is longer at 600m (Vs 300) compared to Kart attack.
Old 13th June 2012, 16:03   #3650
Senior - BHPian

The best track was dannys at OMR a tarmac track with good slow and fast corners..

Sadly, it is closed now.

Kart beat at avm studios is to narrow and un safe..

kart attack is ok..slippery track but good fun..

The one near iron bridge on beach road is good but one corner if done incorrectly will land you in coouum river..
Old 13th June 2012, 16:19   #3651
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't been to kart attack, will definitely try next time. But in ECR speedway the last two corners you could do full throttle all the way till the first corner. BTW which kart did you drive. I drove the 7hp senior Kart. Is the track at kart attack, tarmac or cement track? When a guy inquired why they are charging a premium when compared to Kart attack, he said ECR speedway is a tarmac track (Vs concrete track) as well as it is longer at 600m (Vs 300) compared to Kart attack.
Kart attack is serious fun !There is only a concrete track but its wide and has a big U and at end where we can drift like crazy !!
I also drove the 7HP cart as the 9HP one was not available.It would not have made any difference though cause there is only one big strech and we could only do some 6 laps at the max. However in Kart attack we can do 13 laps easily , although the track is small is sooper fun and as far as I consider it is more fun to do more laps on a very good but small track than doing less laps on a track that is not much fun and filled with hairpins so that you cant put the kart to its full potential !
Rates:
ECR Speedway : 240 bucks everyday
Kart attack : 200 bucks on weekdays and you get 20 rs worth food coupons and its 220 on weekends.

Also kart attack is even more fun at night. Then again I haven't driven in ECR speedway at night.
This is just my point of view. I will be very much there if a meet is happening regardless of the spot. ( P.S : Its my semester holidays now and college opens only on the first week of july )
Old 17th June 2012, 00:19   #3652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yeah, what a good I had today, the best I could manage was 41.714 Sec. I am sure with good practice, I could break in to 40's. Oh BTW Ashwin put a new lap record of 38.9XX.

With proper practice and good dedication I am sure one can break into 40's easily. Had an opportunity to drive along with national level karters, boy they were consistently doing 39 - 40's. I ran wide on one turn, they over took me. I tried tailing them only to get spun few turns later .

Breaking the 40 second barrier is one thing, but to do it consistently under pressure is totally different ball game.

One kart which I drove had severe understeer while taking right u-turns, when I told the problem to the mechanic, Mr Mohan, he immediately attended that kart. The issue was with the front right wheel, it had slightly more toe - in.

It is good fun, but not to forget its equally dangerous too. Saw few wannabe trying to be the next Schumi, you know those type. Called us to join their group for a race. I told them, you could beat your own lap timing, it would be more fun.

They both started chasing each other, drifting in the corners like crazy. So when one guy got some lead, he slowed down so that the other guy could catch up, when the other guy carrying some good speed came near him, he started accelerating to the first corner. they both turned in, and bang, the accelerating guy spun few times and crashed in to the barrier. He was shaken a bit but continued on.

Oh the next incident was even more scary.Once the red flag is being flagged every kart will slowly turn in to the pits. We were going to drive next, so with helmet and jacket on, were standing near the karts in the pit lane. All the karts except two has entered the pits. Then we heard the marshall shouting "Hit the brake, BRAKE, BRAKEEE". I turned back all I could see was a kart coming straight towards me. I jumped, luckily he missed me by few inches only to be stopped by the tyre barrier. The mistake done by me was that I entered the pits before all karts came in. Point taken.

Last edited by ecenandu : 17th June 2012 at 00:26.
Old 17th June 2012, 12:50   #3653
BHPian

Quote:
Oh the next incident was even more scary.Once the red flag is being flagged every kart will slowly turn in to the pits. We were going to drive next, so with helmet and jacket on, were standing near the karts in the pit lane. All the karts except two has entered the pits. Then we heard the marshall shouting "Hit the brake, BRAKE, BRAKEEE". I turned back all I could see was a kart coming straight towards me. I jumped, luckily he missed me by few inches only to be stopped by the tyre barrier. The mistake done by me was that I entered the pits before all karts came in. Point taken.
Oh yeah !! This happens a lot in any karting facility
Old 18th June 2012, 11:09   #3654
BHPian

Quote:

ECR Speedway - Chennai.

I would be interested to join. Good videos, although very disappointed with the layout. They started from clean slate and this is all they could come up with? There are some nice bits but overall it lacks any sort of flow.

I could have given them the track map of Danny's karting. May be they could have copied it!. I still miss the place! . It was one of the best tracks i ever raced in.

Btw, Why couldn't you drive the 9hp karts? How many total karts where there actually? and what happened to you in the second video? You seemed to be pressing the accelerator just as you approached the tires. Is it the sand?
Old 18th June 2012, 12:02   #3655
BHPian

That guy said the 9HP karts were not available , don't know why . There are 3 choices of kart
5HP-it says baby kart
7HP-the ones we drove
9HP-unavailable
U are right about the track , I also hated it thats why I suggest we meet in Kart attack
Old 18th June 2012, 14:35   #3656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
That guy said the 9HP karts were not available , don't know why . There are 3 choices of kart
5HP-it says baby kart
7HP-the ones we drove
9HP-unavailable
U are right about the track , I also hated it thats why I suggest we meet in Kart attack
I prefer ecr speedway. New track + long + tarmac. Kart attack is definitely a lot of fun but i am past driving karts just for fun. Always love to try a new track. I have seen the video a lot of times now and i think it should be fun racing. I really dont want to wait till the weekend

Do they give you times for all the laps or just your best lap?
Old 19th June 2012, 12:48   #3657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-pg View Post
Btw, Why couldn't you drive the 9hp karts? How many total karts where there actually? and what happened to you in the second video? You seemed to be pressing the accelerator just as you approached the tires. Is it the sand?
That day, the 9hp karts were not ready. But last time when I went they had 2 9hp kart. So you could try them if they are available. The guy driving in the second video is not me , but my friend. I think he went too fast and the brake on that kart was also weak.

Do anybody know how fast these karts can go? Yup, it does depend on the gear ratio.
Average speed - 54 Kmph (600m, 40 second). So it should do more than 54 Kmph.

Last edited by ecenandu : 19th June 2012 at 13:05.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:43   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Going to ECR Speedway this Saturday(23rd), any body wish to join?
Time : 4 PM.

Last edited by ecenandu : 20th June 2012 at 08:44.
Old 20th June 2012, 20:18   #3659
BHPian

Quote:
Going to ECR Speedway this Saturday(23rd), any body wish to join?
Time : 4 PM.
Can we do any later than 4 PM? May be around 6? Will be a lot cooler and i dont have to start driving right after lunch

Either ways I am in. I'll PM you my contact details just in case.

By the way, do they allow if it rains or if the track is damp? It has been raining the past couple of days so just wanted to check.
Old 20th June 2012, 20:34   #3660
BHPian

hi guys,
The current layout of the track has a lot of hairpins. This has been done to avoid accidents. The initial layout that was used for the first two weeks was an extremely fast one but due to that a lot of high speed crashes were taking place. Thats why the layout has been changed keeping safety in mind. Enthusiasts prefer the fast layout for a lot of people who are not very good at this it's not safe at all. If you see some of the accidents that happen there you will know what I mean. There are people who spin out and end up going in the wrong direction. It's very scary.
The 9bhp karts are not being given to everyone due to the issue of safety. Those who can handle the cars well will be given the 9bhp karts.
You can ask the person to show you all your lap times if you want to. The default setting only shows you the best lap.

I would also be interested in meeting there on saturday. 4 may be too hot. 6 sounds perfect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks