Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 13:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

ItsMyLife and Areeb, congratulation on your new beasts, wow its raining safari as well on bhp.
Old 26th October 2009, 19:34   #77
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone for the great wishes!! Man, trust me the Beast is a real pleasure to drive. The scorpio's and innova's really look like wanna be's!! Versa's are irritating, I had to use (rather misuse) the Beast's torque a couple of times to set a few versas in the last three days straight [that to in the drive in period :( , but only for like 2 seconds each time] with no offence to any of the cars.

@Sri - It is an absolute pleasure to have the pics of your beast here too buddy!

That clutch's extra sound is gone and the rear door is fixed. Have covered around 300Kms in the last three days with zero problems, got used to the gear shift and the problem I was complaining about (Grinding sound will shifting to the first) has also vanished.

I am waiting for Rama to send in the pics they clicked!
Although the fog lamps (rear and front) costed me around 5500/-, no regrets what so ever!

More to come soon...
Attached Thumbnails
Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?-img00037200910261445.jpg  

Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?-img00039200910261446ii.jpg  

Old 26th October 2009, 19:54   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
Thanks a lot everyone for the great wishes!! Man, trust me the Beast is a real pleasure to drive. The scorpio's and innova's really look like wanna be's!! Versa's are irritating, I had to use (rather misuse) the Beast's torque a couple of times to set a few versas in the last three days straight [that to in the drive in period :( , but only for like 2 seconds each time] with no offence to any of the cars.

@Sri - It is an absolute pleasure to have the pics of your beast here too buddy!

That clutch's extra sound is gone and the rear door is fixed. Have covered around 300Kms in the last three days with zero problems, got used to the gear shift and the problem I was complaining about (Grinding sound will shifting to the first) has also vanished.

I am waiting for Rama to send in the pics they clicked!
Although the fog lamps (rear and front) costed me around 5500/-, no regrets what so ever!

More to come soon...
Good to hear that the issues have been sorted out. If you could do 70kms on the first night, 300 is less in 3 days! Rama clicked pics? or was it Aditya, to make up further for the feedback?
Keep the pics coming in. BTW Sri's taking delivery tomorrow or day after at the max.

Raktim aka rideon
Old 27th October 2009, 00:02   #79

Hey All, Thanx for the ABS advice. Am contemplating the GX but the VFM is not coming out. EX should have been with an option of the ABS. I own an SX4 ZXi and took it as it is excellent VFM and was coming with all security features then.

[quote=alexnazim;1546167]Going in for the Rama deal, will let you know the final cost after negotiation tomorrow. For now it's 8.02L + free insurance, mud flaps, gear lock and extended warranty.
quote]

Hey Alexnazim 8.02 from the 8.42 OTR, am I right? Apart from this u have free insurance, mud flaps, gear lock and extended warranty or that 40K discount includes all these things. Please let me know.

Over the weekend I went to Concorde (for TS) on Sunday with my wifey and Son.

Prior to that we had a test drive of the Scorpio VLX, 12500 odd driven. I had some apprehensions about the middle row seat space (tall family > 6ft), drivability and jeep like image of the Scorpio. Pickup, feel, road presence, features, uphoistery and cabin noise were all great. Did some off-roading kind on Agara flyover (in the making) and then on Hosur Road. The Sales guy was very confident sitting easily at the back and I with my very less off-roading exp and that too with a TD vehicle was not too comfortable. It took it quite smoothly, rather elegantly.

Was not able to experience the auto wipers, auto head lamps etc. Backing was quite easy for me. On the hind sight, the Sales guy said that 3.5K cost for every 5K service. Every 15K due to oil change the service charges would be 5K. Hence if you drive 20K in a year 17K gone with the wind. He said that the kileage (if mileage from mile then why not kileage from kilometer ) would be 10 in city with AC.

I am the kind of the guy who has learnt to back without the help of the rear view mirrors. I am very uncomfortable backing with their help. Any pointers on using them effectively would be great apart from "practise".

Then we made it to Concorde around 5:20, Security guard said it is closed as it is 5:30. The Sales guy got it opened after a call. Gave the same GX black 7200 odd driven to us (had a TD earlier in office minus wifey). Could drive only about 7 odd KM in the busy Sunday traffic of Bangalore. The interiors were not maintained and beige has turned blackish beige. My wifey asked me about the higher cabin noise than the Scorpio, drivability (which she was convinced was due to the TD vehicle), easter egg goodies like the Scorpio (question from her - TATA has been around many years more than the Scorpio then why not). So have to find an answer by taking her to take her again for a TD next weekend.

Now I also plan to see the Innova also. Would'nt mind if we take a TD of the same if we have decided to buy a big car.

Have'nt talked to anyone about the discounts as we have not finalized the models/car yet.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Yash,

Two suggestions:

a. TD the Safari on the ORR or a highway. It is not meant to be test driven on city roads, especially the Dairy Circle area

b. Innova is an excellent option if you are planning only highway drives and do not mind the MUV/MAV image of the vehicle
Old 27th October 2009, 12:31   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Yash,

Two suggestions:

a. TD the Safari on the ORR or a highway. It is not meant to be test driven on city roads, especially the Dairy Circle area

b. Innova is an excellent option if you are planning only highway drives and do not mind the MUV/MAV image of the vehicle
Need to test it within the city also as I have to drive to work in it everyday. 95% of the time it would be driven on the office/shopping/misc route. I have been Safari bug bitten like most people who love their Safaris.

Scorpio on th other hand was a very drivable engine/vehicle in city.

Actually I mind the image part but then a car has to be bought by a family for a family. So thinking on those aspects we really now want to test drive the Innova which also suffers from an extreme commercial cab image.
Old 27th October 2009, 15:29   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash_anand View Post
Actually I mind the image part but then a car has to be bought by a family for a family. So thinking on those aspects we really now want to test drive the Innova which also suffers from an extreme commercial cab image.
@ Yash I would suggest you to go for Gx. The ABS could be the difference maker in case you get into a difficult situation.

@ alexnazim congratulations on your new ride.

@ rideon where your Safari mate. Delivered or still in the pipeline??
Old 27th October 2009, 18:25   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Spot on!! One of the primary reasons (might sound ) I rejected the Scorpio was the bland back-side (no offense meant) of the vehicle. An SUV without a spare wheel at the back simply loses the appeal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
@an_and,

even if we contemplate on the rumour, and the spare tyre is going to be located under the chassis, we'd rather not buy that design as IMHO, the whole look of the Safari would go for a toss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The answer is in your question itself, An_And!
I agree to that the tyre going under is the sore part, but only that. Considering that the new safari will have proper roof a/c like the innova, probably a climate control, and not to say a newer engine - are they not reasons enough to await the launch? I am holding my horses just in the above hope.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:48   #84
BHPian

[quote=yash_anand;1550515]Hey All, Thanx for the ABS advice. Am contemplating the GX but the VFM is not coming out. EX should have been with an option of the ABS. I own an SX4 ZXi and took it as it is excellent VFM and was coming with all security features then.

Quote:
Going in for the Rama deal, will let you know the final cost after negotiation tomorrow. For now it's 8.02L + free insurance, mud flaps, gear lock and extended warranty.
quote]

Hey Alexnazim 8.02 from the 8.42 OTR, am I right? Apart from this u have free insurance, mud flaps, gear lock and extended warranty or that 40K discount includes all these things. Please let me know.

Over the weekend I went to Concorde (for TS) on Sunday with my wifey and Son.

Prior to that we had a test drive of the Scorpio VLX, 12500 odd driven. I had some apprehensions about the middle row seat space (tall family > 6ft), drivability and jeep like image of the Scorpio. Pickup, feel, road presence, features, uphoistery and cabin noise were all great. Did some off-roading kind on Agara flyover (in the making) and then on Hosur Road. The Sales guy was very confident sitting easily at the back and I with my very less off-roading exp and that too with a TD vehicle was not too comfortable. It took it quite smoothly, rather elegantly.

Was not able to experience the auto wipers, auto head lamps etc. Backing was quite easy for me. On the hind sight, the Sales guy said that 3.5K cost for every 5K service. Every 15K due to oil change the service charges would be 5K. Hence if you drive 20K in a year 17K gone with the wind. He said that the kileage (if mileage from mile then why not kileage from kilometer ) would be 10 in city with AC.

I am the kind of the guy who has learnt to back without the help of the rear view mirrors. I am very uncomfortable backing with their help. Any pointers on using them effectively would be great apart from "practise".

Then we made it to Concorde around 5:20, Security guard said it is closed as it is 5:30. The Sales guy got it opened after a call. Gave the same GX black 7200 odd driven to us (had a TD earlier in office minus wifey). Could drive only about 7 odd KM in the busy Sunday traffic of Bangalore. The interiors were not maintained and beige has turned blackish beige. My wifey asked me about the higher cabin noise than the Scorpio, drivability (which she was convinced was due to the TD vehicle), easter egg goodies like the Scorpio (question from her - TATA has been around many years more than the Scorpio then why not). So have to find an answer by taking her to take her again for a TD next weekend.

Now I also plan to see the Innova also. Would'nt mind if we take a TD of the same if we have decided to buy a big car.

Have'nt talked to anyone about the discounts as we have not finalized the models/car yet.
The deal I got was 8.02 (Ex-showroom+Registration+handling Charges+ Number Plate charges) on road and included everything (Except the finance charges from the bank like processing fee and advance EMI, those were extra).

That price included Free Insurance, Gear Lock, Mud Flaps, Extended Warranty, Corporate Discount of 6K and 5 litres free diesel. (Also, a free dinky car for my 1 year old son along with a few coffees/cold drinks!!). I hope that was explicit enough!

As for the reasons why I bought the Safari instead of the Scorpio were:

1. More BHP
2. More Torque (The power to thrust a vehicle forward!) (Thanks Rideon for telling me what torque was.)
3. More Space.
4. More Comfort.
5. Better Handling.
6. My better half's dream car.

I did overlook a few things like a longer turning radius and unfinished quality interior plastics.

But who cares about any of the above to buy the Safari after point# 6 is in effect!! The others were just reason's to convince myself!
Old 27th October 2009, 18:55   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
@ Yash I would suggest you to go for Gx. The ABS could be the difference maker in case you get into a difficult situation.

@ alexnazim congratulations on your new ride.

@ rideon where your Safari mate. Delivered or still in the pipeline??
DOW,

ItMyLife has taken delivery of a Quartz Black LX today . Mine is still in the pipeline.
Old 27th October 2009, 19:09   #86
BHPian

Quote:
2. More Torque (The power to thrust a vehicle forward!) (Thanks Rideon for telling me what torque was.)
That I guess was the just the layman description I could muster at that time. To be a bit more technical, it is the rotational force exerted at the shaft that would propel the vehicle forward
It is explained better here: Torque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no beating point #6. To think that she went to check the Accent and the other car. An ovation for the lady for deciding on the best!

Last edited by rideon : 27th October 2009 at 19:12.
Old 27th October 2009, 23:36   #87
BHPian

So finally he has arrived.
Folks you guessed right. Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor LX Quartz Black with the most expensive accessory i.e. "satisfaction" is parked right in front of my door. (err, not exactly in front, I live on the 3rd floor).
Got delivery at 8 pm. Way past the official opening hours of any temple close by. So after asking my parents to go home rather than waiting in the temple, I finally drove the "incredible hulk" home. We had dinner and then went out for a ride (long straight stretch from Vasant Kunj to Vasant Vihar). Finally home on time to pen down a few words.

A couple of observations:
A very prominent hissing sound when the steering wheel is at the extreme left or right
Also I tried to break a little hard when doing 80kmph, and he swayed to the left. Is it normal?
I guess it will take some time to get adjusted to the braking, rather controlling the speed, cuz the ride is so smooth, I did not even realize that I was doing 80.
Reversing and Parking is not that difficult. I could manage in a tight spot without the sensors.
And YES, people do give way on the road.

Here are some pics. Enjoy! There is lot more to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?-pic065.jpg  

Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?-pic062.jpg  

Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?-pic061.jpg  

Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?-pic063.jpg  

Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?-pic066.jpg  

Old 28th October 2009, 00:16   #88
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItMyLife View Post
So finally he has arrived.
Folks you guessed right. Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor LX Quartz Black with the most expensive accessory i.e. "satisfaction" is parked right in front of my door. (err, not exactly in front, I live on the 3rd floor).
A whole lot of congrats, let the wheels roll on for long now.

The hissing sound is normal and happens only at full turn, i.e., extreme ends - it quite minimal as of now for me - may be decreases later on or may be have gotten used to it. And as for brakes - let it settle, looks nothing to worry about as such - more so as the vehicle is not pulling to one side under braking.

Last edited by adc : 28th October 2009 at 00:28.
Old 28th October 2009, 00:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy!
One more Safari added to the club. Wish you many more happymiles going ahead. Do post lots of pictures and a good first hand review.
Old 28th October 2009, 00:27   #90
BHPian

@adc
Thanks a ton. You are an inspiration for all Safari Owners. Truly reclaiming your life.
I read a post in technical stuff that sumone's power steering hose burst, so was a little concerned.
Otherwise not seen much trouble. Just that my dad says, its too noisy and mom thinks now I will drive even faster.
Will drive in the morning and see if I notice anything else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks