Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 11:34   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Cool_Dube, has the vehicle arrived???
ETA today evening. I should be able to see it tomorrow. Am planning to spend the whole day searching for rust
Old 4th November 2009, 17:49   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
ETA today evening. I should be able to see it tomorrow. Am planning to spend the whole day searching for rust
Congratulations Buddy and all the very best for tomorrow!! Please post the pictures the moment you are able to!

By the way can someone please post pictures of their key chains? Call me crazy but I want an iconic one for "My Beast"!
Old 4th November 2009, 19:26   #138
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
the Safari is highly prone to rust,
The only Safari that I have owned was the TCIC model. This was an August 1998 model, bought as new on 01/11/1999 with 68 kms on the odometer. I took this as I was given a decent discount. I sold it eventually in July 2005 with 76000kms on the odo.

Not only did it not suffer from rust (in spite of spending more than an year in the dealer yard), it never let me down on the road. The only time it needed attention other than for regular maintenance was when I crash tested it behind one of our infamous state transport buses.
Old 20th November 2009, 21:26   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

The only Safari that I have owned was the TCIC model. This was an August 1998 model, bought as new on 01/11/1999 with 68 kms on the odometer. I took this as I was given a decent discount. I sold it eventually in July 2005 with 76000kms on the odo.

Not only did it not suffer from rust (in spite of spending more than an year in the dealer yard), it never let me down on the road. The only time it needed attention other than for regular maintenance was when I crash tested it behind one of our infamous state transport buses.
Well, mine has an anti rust coat under the chassis, is wax polished every weekend BUT still has started to get those rust marks in the door angles(probably beacuse of rain)!! Will be flushing those with brake fluid and grease this weekend!!
Old 25th November 2009, 16:02   #140
BHPian

Hey gurusss ..

I need an info . My friend , he is looking for a safari , he saw one EX 2.2 VTT , 4*4 , 2008 model 22000 km done ..

What will be the best price for this vehicle .

Did a random check and drive , dint see much issues
Old 26th November 2009, 09:45   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Rejoy:

With 4x4 vehicles it is hard to figure out a market price as there are not many 4x4 Safaris around. I suggest contacting a couple of dealers/sellers about 2WD Safari's with the same year/model and adding a 40K to 60K premium for the 4x4 system.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:40   #142
BHPian

Hey 4*4 addict ,

thanks , for the information .
I have a doubt though , the dealers would be quoting a bit high right ?
Or dealers quote - 60 K would give the worth price of 4*2 and then add the premium of 4*4 ?

Even the one that I saw is with a dealer .Quite confused ..
Old 27th November 2009, 11:24   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hey gurusss ..

I need an info . My friend , he is looking for a safari , he saw one EX 2.2 VTT , 4*4 , 2008 model 22000 km done ..

What will be the best price for this vehicle .

Did a random check and drive , dint see much issues
A general price of around 7-7.25 lacs should be a good deal given the Safari's quick depreciation. In case it is really well maintained and is in showroom condition, then you could up the ante by 30-35k.
Old 29th November 2009, 18:16   #144
BHPian

Hi!,

There is a Safari GX 4x2 available at a dealer in Mumbai which he is ready to give at a special price. As per him this is an AUG 09 Model and was at the factory. It was billed to them only in October. I understand there are many more vehicles at the factory which are available at a discounted price.

I have seen this vehicle overall looks good but has run 370 Kms.

Now can you advice me whether this or any such vehicle is a good buy at 0.75 - 1.00 Lac less. As you know Insuarance + Extended Warantee is free on all Tata vehicles. Hence the effective discount will be around 0.25 - 0.50Lacs additional.

Thanks
Old 29th November 2009, 19:29   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
There is a Safari GX 4x2 available at a dealer...per him this is an AUG 09 Model and was at the factory. It was billed to them only in October...can you advice me whether this or any such vehicle is a good buy at 0.75 - 1.00 Lac less.
Check following things first
  1. VIN number to verify manufacturing date. You can post on the appropriate thread to verify by experts.
  2. Check the sales receipt between TML and dealer to verify Oct-09 is indeed the date of sale to the dealer.
  3. Seek to speak to regional sales officer of TML. Generally they are willing to speak to (prospective) customers and find out the reason why it was kept in warehouse and the reason for 378 km on odo. If they drove from factory at Pimpri to Mumbai, it could be 150kms one way + add about 50kms of testing etc that covers upto 200kms. What about the rest?
  4. Do a thorough PDI, preferably take someone along who knows/owns a Safari for some time.
If all above points concur, I guess, you have a good deal if you manage to get (extra) >75k discount for the piece being sold is "old".

Safari bug is hard to ignore. I am sure you will have sleepless nights for next several days till you get one home

All the best.

Cheers,
-BJ
Old 29th November 2009, 19:53   #146
BHPian

Hi Devdath ..

Thanks .. I got quite an idea of the price the vehicle worth for.
Test drive makes me feel good about the vehicle .. though I have to test drive the vehicle in 4wd engaged .

Is there anything in special that to be checked ?I mean as its a on the fly 4wd vehicle ?
I know that as all these highly equiped vehicle, its pretty tough to know if there are ny issues with them ..Any good place where i can give the vehicle for a check up ? I stay near Old airport road area
Old 29th November 2009, 22:26   #147
BHPian

Thanks BJ.

Will do the necessary checks as suggested by you.

Kiren
Old 30th November 2009, 09:39   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there anything in special that to be checked ?I mean as its a on the fly 4wd vehicle ?
I know that as all these highly equiped vehicle, its pretty tough to know if there are ny issues with them ..Any good place where i can give the vehicle for a check up ? I stay near Old airport road area
Regarding 4WD, unless you take it off road you cannot do an extensive test as the Safari has a part time 4x4 system that can be used only on slippery surfaces. If you need to test in on tarred roads, find a straight stretch where the vehicle can be driven in a straight line. Engage 4High and then 4 Low and then drive the vehicle ONLY IN A STRAIGHT LINE or you may damage the drive line. As long as the 4WD Hi/Low are engaging you should be fine. The lights on the dash should show that the 4x4 is engaged.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:49   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Naah, not that tough and near the old Airport, you will find lots of slushy/muddy areas near/behind Bagmane Tech Park where you could try the 4 wheel drive options.
Try engaging, disengaging, turning lock to lock both sides, reversing in 4 wheel high and low, go up a slope, come down a slope, try to raise a wheel off the ground and then rev it a bit, quite a few small checks. PM me in case you need any more assistance and we could probably meet up.
Old 1st December 2009, 10:05   #150
BHPian

hey thats a great response from all u folks ( 4*4 addict and devdath ) .. I am so happy

My friend did go to the dealer with his bro ,and tried some offroading and drove the vehicle in 4*4 engaged on tarmac. The 4*4 feel to be intact . One complaint he raised was about its body roll . I mean its more than a normal safari .
Any idea about this ?
Quote:
then rev it a bit, quite a few small checks. PM me in case you need any more assistance and we could probably meet up.
definitely Devdath , its really nice of you to have such a reply . Thanks a ton :-) . My friend he told me that he is having some financial issues so definitely shall keep you posted once he let me know something .
and you know what , i was trying to imagine one tyre on air and doing some spinning . :-)

Cheers again .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks