Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2009, 22:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?

dear bhpians,

how good is the nissan x-trail with respect to the indian context and the current suv market scenario?

the car is for my cousin who has used a first gen endeavour till now and wants a nimble and small suv for in-city and highway use and which has to be diesel. the car will be self driven 90% of the time.

also what would be the price for a well maintained year old (2008) nissan x-trail, as we have come across one which is really well maintained.

any issues with the x-trail? he has heard that there are some issues with respect to the turbo, any clue on this? also was there any maintance packages with the x-trail anytime?

he isnt much keen on the fortuner or the captiva, how does the x-trail fare when compared to them?

awaiting the replies, thanks in advance :-)

aadix.

ps: any info on when the new gen x-trail is going to be launched? what would be its price range and how would it compare with the current x-trail?

Last edited by aadix : 13th September 2009 at 22:42.
Old 14th September 2009, 11:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

the only issues i find with the xtrail is too few a service centers for it and spare back up!

anyway the new xtrail is on the way and hope the A.S.S. of nissan will spread far and wide along with the launch of Micra in india.

it cant be compared to Captiva, as its only 4x2 where as fortuner and Xtrail are 4x4!

of all the above three, i would rate them as Fortuner, Xtrail and Captiva.

your friend might have to get use to the center consol in the middle of the dashboard which i find it odd and out of place.

regarding the lack of turbo, yes there is sluggishness when it comes to that!

if you have managed to find a good used one with proper service record, and a decent price to match, go for it!

here are few photos of New Xtrail.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-nissanxtrail.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-n1.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-n2.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-n3.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-n4.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2009, 14:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have driven my dad's friend's xtrail recently. It is from the first batch of xtrails, done over 1.2L kms and it still packs a punch superbly built too, absolutely no rattles, did about 150 and it felt like there was a lot more to go. Only downside is it is pretty expensive to maintain.
Old 14th September 2009, 18:11   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The X-Trail is well built, has a superb engine and is very nippy to drive in the city. Road behaviour is car like (similar in some ways to the CRV). Don't even think of new, they depreciate like crazy. Bargain hard on the '08 pre-owned example you found.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have a person in my apartment complex who owns 2 X Trails---don't know him in person, but can gather info from his chauffeur if you want.
When I spoke to him a year ago, he was all praise for it's handling---stating that the wheels 'fold' during sharp turns like a Merc. I did not understand his statement and I did not want to ask further as he might think I was an ignorant ordinary mortal.

One thing I don't like is the centrally-mounted speedo, like in the Spark and Vista.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:44   #6
BHPian

New Xtrail model is launching tomorrow. It is expected to have some engine fine tuning and centre console likely to shift towards the drivers side. Prices and pictures are not available as of now. They are likely to launch new Teana also tomorrow. More info is available on cartradeindia.com. Current ones are available in the range of 21-24 lakhs. The higher spec one is having a better music system and panaromic sun roof-(wonder if its worth paying 3.5 odd lakhs for these two features).

Nissan engines have been used extensively in Indian Army and they were considered pretty reliable, robust and built to last. Nowadays, it may depend on the user how they would rate it. But yes Nissan is on the wishlist of someone I respect and that goes to say that it has its own fan following.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:10   #7
evo
BHPian

Check the recently put up X trail for sale in the Tbhp classifieds too.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

thank you guys,

my cousin has decided to go in for a new xtrail, since he plans on keeping it for atleast five years the resale value aspect isnt bugging him. and with two dealers in hyd for nissan at the moment, service shouldnt be a issue i guess.

thanks once again guys, pics and review will be up the moment the car gets delivered.
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, the first new xtrail was delivered to my cousin on dusherra day, overall he is quite happy with the car.

+ve points:
butch looks, its much bigger looking than in the pics.
good amount of storage place.
peppy engine.
big sunroof (a +ve point for me)
full 4X4 + hill descent control
overall an vfm buy.

-ve point:
interior plastics and sound system could have been slightly better.

here are the pics, sorry for the late reply as was held up. a proper review and better pics up soon.

pics by furioussphinx.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4201.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4199.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4212.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4171.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4179.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4180.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4181.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4190.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4189.jpg  

Nissan X-Trail: any reviews or issues?-miniimg_4197.jpg  

Last edited by aadix : 2nd October 2009 at 21:08.
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:10   #10
BHPian

New X trail - Cost pls

What is the cost of the new X trail?
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats to your cuz. The new interiors look good---nice to know that they've moved the speedo to the front of the steering, unlike the earlier model where it was centrally mounted on the dash.
Old 2nd October 2009, 23:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the cost of the new X trail?
the new xtrail costed us roughly 27l on road, this is the top spec manual variant, plus was taken on the company name which has a higher road tax percentage here in a.p.

Quote:
Congrats to your cuz. The new interiors look good---nice to know that they've moved the speedo to the front of the steering, unlike the earlier model where it was centrally mounted on the dash.

thank you sir, if poss will get it to the next meet. we had a choice between the old xtrail variant (which was being offered with a good discount) and this, overall this has an edge over the old one. hence leaving aside the resale value this made a good buy as it would be primarly self driven and for most of the highway runs.

mods would be a better sound system for now. any other suggestions guys?

Last edited by aadix : 2nd October 2009 at 23:14.
Old 3rd October 2009, 00:34   #13
BHPian

@aadiX

Congrats on your new ride! Its a beautiful, Efficient and proven SUV. Just curious to know what made you buy this over Fortuner?

My relative has booked the old version X trail for around 20 lac; when brand new Fortuner is available for 22 lacs, what makes ppl chose other SUVs. Is it the waiting period of Fortuner or in what terms is X trail better than Fortuner.

No offense, just that I am fan of fortuner and want to understand your thought process.
Old 3rd October 2009, 16:19   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats to your family on the XTrail, Aadix.

Quote:
the new xtrail costed us roughly 27l on road, this is the top spec manual variant, plus was taken on the company name which has a higher road tax percentage here in a.p.
CBU cars have the same taxation rate, whether the registered owner is an individual or company.

Quote:
Each and every part feels top quality, right from the leather used to the soft-closing lids. The dash has soft-touch plastics, the switches feel exceedingly tactile and the overall part quality is distinctly premium. The interiors have been screwed together brilliantly.
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offense, just that I am fan of fortuner and want to understand your thought process.
thanks bud and no offense taken, the main reason was the nimbleness and the ease to drive factor, as this was an uprgrade from an endeavour, my cousin didnt want another bulky suv plus the much imp factor that it should be a diesel, which was the main reason for the xtrail, the closest which came close after this was the volvo xc-90.

Quote:
CBU cars have the same taxation rate, whether the registered owner is an individual or company.
Each and every part feels top quality, right from the leather used to the soft-closing lids. The dash has soft-touch plastics, the switches feel exceedingly tactile and the overall part quality is distinctly premium. The interiors have been screwed together brilliantly.
hey gto, thanks

the tax i was talking about is the ap road/life tax. here cars above 30L have a flat 12% road/life tax rate and cars below 30L have a dual structure wherein if it's the first car of the individual then its 9% and 12% thereafter. and while for insitutions/compaines its once again a flat 12%.

did you mean the same tax? am guessing you must have meant the custom duties?

about the interiors i was comparing it to the mercs in the family, as the price was quite close to the prev gen c-class prices. the interiors are def top notch and well fitted, but if beige areas of the dashboard were just a bit more rich looking then it would have been perfect!! and infact i guess if any fault has to be searched in the car then this would be the only one.

Last edited by aadix : 3rd October 2009 at 21:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks