Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 15:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If that's the only reason, discard it and head to the nearest Toyota showroom.
Well am back to square one. I told in advance that am confused between both cars now. Mom wants me to buy a Innova and dad wants another Scorpio, its me who will decide which car comes.

The comfort and road manners are way too good in the Innova which have experienced on a trip to Shirdi even after sitting in the last row.
Will have to TD both Innova and Scorpio back to back to see what wins on my preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
As for the question asked in the thread, Innova anyday over both Scorpio and Safari.
One more. Well now if i get good experience from driving a Innova i may shift to that as -
1. Its a change over 3 years driven Scorpio.
2. Has a Toyota tag attached to it which itself is a pros.

If i find these things in the Mhwak then Mhwak it is :
1. Ride quality improved for rear benchers. They bounce like crazy.
2. NVH levels have improved and interior quality is a tad better.

Till now Scorpio has a edge because the place where dad goes to (Sahibabad, Lajpat nagar and South ex- Delhi) are all crowded places and Scorp has a edge here over Innova here.
My friend has bought a Innova (Lajpat nagar) and he is advising me against it for the sole reason that he cant see his car scratched and banged and Innova being of low height is easy for motorcyclists and rickshaws to bang into. His 20 day old V model has gathered scratches and dents already.

Was never interested in a Innova but when i meet him next time, am gonna take his car for a ride.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
1. Ride quality improved for rear benchers. They bounce like crazy.
2. NVH levels have improved and interior quality is a tad better.

My friend has bought a Innova (Lajpat nagar) and he is advising me against it for the sole reason that he cant see his car scratched and banged and Innova being of low height is easy for motorcyclists and rickshaws to bang into. His 20 day old V model has gathered scratches and dents already.
My two cents: I have owned a Qualis since it was launched (mine was the second Qualis to drive on Delhi roads). I owned a top model Innova till a few days ago. I sold the Innova because of precisely the reasons you quote: (a) too soft for Delhi roads--the scooterists and bikers loved to huddle around and scratch it, parking attendants loved to lean on its low bonnet (b) too long that it was uncomfortable to drive it without tension (Qualis was much better) (c) too low that even small ground modulations would make the floor touch the ground (d) rear view was constricted and (e) I found the ride uninspiring. The pulling power was good but in high revs and I had some frightening experiences on rugged mountain stretches in Sangla where my Qualis could climb like a goat.

I bought a Scorpio LX and found that it was much better in all these compartments. Especially the dynamics, the in-cabin NVH and the engine power in my preferred rev band and awesome. It is even giving me better mileage than Innova or Qualis (maybe due to 2.2 engine).

I will not advise anything except that you take a TD and make a decision yourself.
Old 14th September 2009, 18:54   #18
BHPian

The best thing about the Scorp and any other Mahindra vehicle is that in any sort of road bully contest (which is what we otherwise call as driving in India) ; the Mahindra always comes out tops. Even if someone puts this to the test, the Mahindra build comes out tops. Lol , and finally even if you do get some scratches , this car only makes it seem like its got character.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
The best thing about the Scorp and any other Mahindra vehicle is that in any sort of road bully contest (which is what we otherwise call as driving in India) ; the Mahindra always comes out tops. Even if someone puts this to the test, the Mahindra build comes out tops. Lol , and finally even if you do get some scratches , this car only makes it seem like its got character.

i liked this post, especially the part marked in bold!

but road bullying is not the ideal thing to do, in any vehicle! we share the road with many others & should give & take respect. (i hope this dint sound boring! )

anyways, scorpio owners/drivers have already been put in the bad light by being termed as the worst/rash drivers on road!

we have an entire thread on that!
Old 14th September 2009, 20:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
I owned a top model Innova till a few days ago. I sold the Innova because of precisely the reasons you quote: (a) too soft for Delhi roads--the scooterists and bikers loved to huddle around and scratch it, parking attendants loved to lean on its low bonnet (b) too long that it was uncomfortable to drive it without tension (Qualis was much better) (c) too low that even small ground modulations.The pulling power was good but in high revs and I had some frightening experiences on rugged mountain stretches in Sangla where my Qualis could climb like a goat.
Thanks a lot, i am getting regular reviews from guys who own both Innova and Scorpio which is helping me a lot. The last few reasons you said were the ones which everyone can agree with. I am a lot worried about (a) and (b).
With Scorpio am fearless wherever i go, it was right from the moment we took car out of the showroom not that am fearless because we banged the poor car
Scorpio has no difficulties in climbing hills, have taken it multiple times to Himachal where almost all cars require 1st and 2nd gear wherein Scorp takes eveything in 3rd or even 4th. Just the rear seat guys going left n right curse me.

Qualis was in itself a great car, i have seen people running their cars upto 2L kms without any problem.

Quote:
I bought a Scorpio LX and found that it was much better in all these compartments. Especially the dynamics, the in-cabin NVH and the engine
Congrats on the buy. LX looks most VFM. I may choose that over SLE as i save over a lakh and the new SUV will be driven in city only so no hanky panky things or gadgets.
1 more member says NVH better than innova, mahindra have really worked wonders.
I am stopping myself for a TD as if i do and select my car, i wont wait till even 2010, book now wait 1 month or more for white and lo 2010 comes.

[quote=Takumi-san;1482433]The best thing about the Scorp and any other Mahindra vehicle is that in any sort of road bully contest (which is what we otherwise call as driving in India)/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, ask me and i know it. The roads to our village are all broken, in Linea i go dead slow in 3rd gear saving car from potholes and the Scorpios rush past me like its a highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

anyways, scorpio owners/drivers have already been put in the bad light by being termed as the worst/rash drivers on road!
we have an entire thread on that!

Have seen that thread. Why not? Everyone bullies whoever he can. When am in Linea everyone from Scooter to a Santro terrifies me and i save my car. They cut in my lane and i have no option but to brake. With Scorpio noones dares to take 1 step forward neither i care for those cutting in my lanes. Just honk and they stop.

For cities like Delhi, i think Scorpio is a best bet whereas for highway drives Innova may be a better bet with better handling.

The reason a new car will be bought because there are some places where sedans like Linea cant go. If it had been the case, i would have had bought MJD but then the bumpers will go bald where parking lot guys park bumper to bumper touch.
Innova will become a similar story, i can put bull bars in front and rear but what about sides?? My friend also is advising me against it because of this reason. He bought top end model and is frutsrated with guys falling or hitting on his car and then speeding bike and runnin away.
Old 18th September 2009, 21:26   #21
BHPian

Hi there,

I have been driving the scorpio for the past 3 odd months and a family innova for the past 2 odd years. Here's my view:

I like scorpio in the looks department, I personally thought it is nippier to drive than the innova and the steering is also lighter (esp. in city traffic).

But, the innova is way ahead in terms of refinement, cabin noise and somehow the scorp does not feel planted on the road and this gives it that iffy feeling.

My limited experience with the M&M ASCs too is nothing to write home about. We have not spent any money on the innova in terms of maintenance except the regular servicing bits.

It's a tough choice, but I'd go for the innova.

A strong positive for the scorpio is that you get to become a member of the yahoo scorpio group. Super folks!
Old 18th September 2009, 21:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
A strong positive for the scorpio is that you get to become a member of the yahoo scorpio group. Super folks!
Surely that has no relevance whatsoever!!
There is no contest here; the Innova is the better vehicle!
The quandary only begins when 4WD comes on the agenda! Seems like Toyota doesn't have a clue!
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:51   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Hi there,

But, the innova is way ahead in terms of refinement, cabin noise and somehow the scorp does not feel planted on the road and this gives it that iffy feeling.

My friends have two innovas (3 years and 2 years old) and mine, and vlx 2009.
I would not agree with you on cabin noise. Scorpio is way ahead of Innova, at least in this newer version, well insulated inside. You will feel like its raining inside Innova.
The difference I feel is the vibrations during start/stop and also on the gear stick.
I liked Innova before I test drove a Scorpio, after 2 months of continuous drive, I happen to drive Innova recently, and I felt like I was driving a toy horse.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thing is that in 9L i have choice of only two SUV's Safari or Scorpio and i said i prefer Scorpio more. The accident happened not entirely because of the car and there was some human error too though handling of Scorp is not to talk about.
New car will be used only in City, for highways we have bought a Linea already.
some other day while talking with my friends and relatives,i told i am planning to buy Scorpio for city usage especially for my wife to drive.
But people were panicked and asked me are you mad to buy scorpio for city use that's a SUV.
But I am very much inclined towards Scorpio my wife too.I Td'ed 'n' times in city and highway and it's very easy to roaming around and visibility is very fine for short people too.
Most importantly,by seeing this mammoth stance,Everybody will give way to it and we can surely move without honking in the dense traffic.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:23   #25
Team-BHP Support

Atleast take TD of the innova before ignoring it completely.
However if you do not like the taxi image, then you can safely go for the 2.2 MHawk.
I have taken just one TD of the same, and it is indeed more refined and car like than the safari. The overall build of the dashboard and the feel of clutch and gears is also better.
However my knees touch the dash, and the space inside reminds me of M800.
Since you already own a scorpio, all this won't bother you, and you can safely go for the same.

As far as handling is concerned, both safari and scorpio are not sedan like. Innova will handle better than both, and is more reliable than both too. The GC is tad lower in the innova, but unless you are talking real deep ruts, it should not be much of an issue.
Old 26th July 2011, 13:30   #26
BHPian

Re: Scorpio 2.2 Mhawk in exchange for Scorpio 2.6?

Bumping this old thread as I am in a similar situation right now. Want to sell the old 2.6 scorpio and buy a new SUV. The problem there is still no other SUV in the price range of a scorpio or a safari(I am not keen on buying this). I do not want to go for the Innova as we already own the Fortuner. Bhp'ians please advice. Also coolboy what did you finally do? There aren't any new models coming up in this range so I think waiting also would not make sense. Eagerly awaiting comments!
Old 26th July 2011, 16:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Dont worry many of us are in the same boat.
Im quite tired (user fatigue I think) with my 3.4 year old 2.6 Scorp.
Im yearning daily for something which is;
more comfy,
more or less equal in space and capacity,
much safer
handles better
is Diesel driven,
brakes better
less body roll than the Scorp.
At the same time I dont want to spend silly money on what is essentially an utility vehicle as per the general use I put it to.
There is nothing in the market as of now which fits the bill.

However, it looks like there could be some light at the end of the year long tunnel - next July/August they say that renault Duster is expected. This might just fit my bill and hence I am possessing my soul in patience until then.
Would also love to see where the Korando C will land up getting positioned.

Anything priced higher than the Top End Scorp/ Safari is, to me, not so attractive as all that because what we need is a fair priced, utilitarian, tough, reliable, safe, modern SUV with great quality of ergonomics, features, diesel power, good torque, 4WD, comfort, fit and finish etc.
There is NONE at the moment in India that answers to the above description.

Meantime Im investigating used Tucsons and X Trails which fit the budget more or less, but am always going to be a bit apprehensive about the way theyve been treated by their previous owner (s).

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Bumping this old thread as I am in a similar situation right now. Want to sell the old 2.6 scorpio and buy a new SUV. The problem there is still no other SUV in the price range of a scorpio or a safari(I am not keen on buying this). I do not want to go for the Innova as we already own the Fortuner. Bhp'ians please advice. Also coolboy what did you finally do? There aren't any new models coming up in this range so I think waiting also would not make sense. Eagerly awaiting comments!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th July 2011 at 16:26.
Old 1st August 2011, 20:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
so coolboy what did you finally do? There aren't any new models coming up in this range so I think waiting also would not make sense. Eagerly awaiting comments!
Well i have been still sitting with my 2.6 and now 5 years old Scorpio. I TD the Innova but really didnt feel homely with it, 5 years sittin high on a SUV really changes things

Mine has now clocked 80k kms and finally requiring its first tyre change which has been done. Am not able to decide buddy, between Innova, Scorpio and Safari i really dont like anything too much to be spending 10 lakhs on it.

Increasing our budget to take the plunge and get a Fortuner but that should take a couple of months.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well i have been still sitting with my 2.6 and now 5 years old Scorpio. I TD the Innova but really didnt feel homely with it, 5 years sittin high on a SUV really changes things

Mine has now clocked 80k kms and finally requiring its first tyre change which has been done. Am not able to decide buddy, between Innova, Scorpio and Safari i really dont like anything too much to be spending 10 lakhs on it.

Increasing our budget to take the plunge and get a Fortuner but that should take a couple of months.
Been on the "Horns" for some time, used a 2.6 CRDe for 4 years and sold it off and got a Mhwak 4x4 MT, great experience so far. More refined engine, huge noise reduction, electronic gizmos etc., + better interiors. Added some ICE and I'm done for another 4 years.

Weighed all options including T-Fort (way too expensive) and Innova (way too big and too soft susp for city use) and nothing else came up as VFM in my view.

--Ramky
======
Old 14th September 2011, 18:46   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Weighed all options including T-Fort (way too expensive) and Innova (way too big and too soft susp for city use) and nothing else came up as VFM in my view.
Precisely my view at the moment. No other SUV comes close to Scorp when it comes to the features offered, the reliability and fit and finish stakes and most of all, the capability factor that it offers at this price point.

I too was dilly dallying between upgrading to a Fortuner/Yeti/Pajero etc but when it comes to pure practical sense, a 4wd Scorp is so much more VFM and sensible to buy.

@Ramky: Where is your initial ownership review and pics?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks