Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 21:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

I was reading that Outlander will be sold at 15.5-16 lacs ex-showroom. It would be worth considering over GV at this price as it has decent off roadability (no 'low range' as in GV but it has a lockable central differential) and better on road driving dynamics (more powerful, better ride and handling).
But if it is going to be sold at 21 lacs, wonder who will buy it over CRV!
Old 14th July 2008, 21:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nilanjanray, among your con list for GV, the power and low sales shouldn't really matter. The only problem I see is the space for the dog. But that would be a problem in any SUV, 5 or 7 seater. In my opinion, the only vehicle that is dog friendly is the 7 seater Innova.
You are right, power is not that important. However, given the low sales of GV (plus high price of fuel that can impact future demand for SUVs, I am concerned that Maruti might pull the plug on its SUV line in India - say in 1-2 years - and stick to its core offerings.

If the SUV has good boot space, then our dog can cope. After all, he is used to traveling in the rear seat of an Indica. That is why I gave Endeavour a minute chance - I can just take out the rear seats. My wife loves the look of that car, but I think it might not be comfortable to drive in the city and on long drives (for people in the middle seat, and for our dog).

Innova is a nice, staid choice - am looking for something with a little more colour and character :-)
Old 14th July 2008, 21:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why not Indian SUVs?
Yes please. You must take a look at the Mahindra Bolero, which is the largest selling SUV in the country according to a poll here.

Jokes apart, your safest bet is a CRV. Followed by the Captiva if you want diesel economy. Outlander/CRV/GV are all softroaders of the same capability.
Old 14th July 2008, 21:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Both Outlander and GV have selectable 4WD with low range. How do they become soft roaders? The CRV definitely is a soft roader.
Old 14th July 2008, 21:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Grand Vitara is the best option to go for.
It is backed by Maruti A.S & S. and it is also largely reliable.
The fuel effeciency is not that low, the lack of power wont matter too much, IMO.

BTW, What is Irish Setter ?
Old 14th July 2008, 21:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Both Outlander and GV have selectable 4WD with low range. How do they become soft roaders? The CRV definitely is a soft roader.
Outlander has a 4WD lock but no low range. GV is certainly not a soft roader.
Old 14th July 2008, 22:02   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I am concerned that Maruti might pull the plug on its SUV line in India - say in 1-2 years - and stick to its core offerings.
Well, I doubt that will happen since GV is a CBU and they don't have additional expense to sell it here, worldwide it sells pretty well.
Quote:
Innova is a nice, staid choice - am looking for something with a little more colour and character :-)
Well, I wasn't suggesting Innova, I wouldn't suggest MUV to a buyer looking at SUV. I was pointing at the 7 seater arrangement in Innova that is very dog-friendly. Only mini-vans have that kind of seating arrangement.

The Indica rear seat is very good, so it might not take kindly to narrow boot of GV or even third row of Endy or any 7 seat SUV. Although I agree that any 7 seater SUV will be better than GV for your Irish Setter.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

My vote would be to wait for Outlander. As it’s not a CBU its definitely going to cost at least 2 to 3 lakhs lower then CRV. ( As both sells at almost same price in US). The reviews of Outlander are too good everywhere. In UK it’s also available in diesel. Surly should wait for Mitsu to show their cards. In US where all models are available the fight is between CRV, RAV4 and Outlander. Then comes Santa Fe and others and the Two Suzuki SUVs including GV are rather Forgettable. (As per a review on You Tube)

IMO I personally will never buy a Big car or an SUV from SUZUKI. They are expert of small cars ( test drive of Baleno few years back made me make this decision). You get the same feel of the older Zen in Baleno and Swift in their premium car SX4.

Mitsu need to price it correctly this time and at the same time should offer the latest and powerful engine with loads of features, at least for first few months, to get back into the game. On launching a new model they need to keep in mind not only present competition but the competition that would arise in coming 5 to 7 years – New version of CRV (diesel as well), Santa Fe and TOYOTA. One fairly priced SUV from Toyota will change whole SUV equation in India. Any company make a world class SUV fully in India will hit the price band between 12 to 16 lakhs Ex showroom easily. But till then you can't just buy a Gypsy and wait for 2 to 4 years for things to change so dramatically.

Talking of future and Suzuki what if they launch an ultra tech latest new version of gypsy at a price range of 6 to 10 lakhs for a 4X4 SUV (like Shahrukh’s DC Gypsy in an old movie). Then Toyota will get RUSh for its counter part. (wow)

For now if you rule out CRV, Captiva, Tucson, Pajero and ENDY then I understand your feelings completely as I am in same situation as you (I have ruled out GV too) and wishing for things to change.

PS: Auto CEOs?
Old 15th July 2008, 18:20   #24
BHPian

if u want balance between off-roading, city driving, comfort & space, GV is the ony one right now. Its not great in all areas but certainly good in most. And it looks great too.

The new endeavour looks a lot better than the previous gen endy, but can be a pain to drive in city traffic. to top it off, it comes only in manual. i drove the 2wd version about 3 months ago. the engine is quite nice and much more powerful. the engine in the 4wd is supposed to be even more powerful - or so I've heard.

the crv is a total softroader. dont even think of taking it off-road. it is full time FWD and only 20% of power can be transferred to rear wheels in case the traction control senses wheel spin in the front wheels. This is great for slippery conditions in the city (sand on road or rain) though.

I am also looking to buy a 4x4for myself. had almost bought the GV automatic in may, but when I heard of the outlander being launched, i decided to wait. it looks really good, and is 4wd. supposed to be launched with automatic w/ paddle shift like civic, cvt transmission, 7 seater and 4wd (has only 4WD H mode, no 4WD L mode).

if u r not in a hurry, wait to check out the outlander before u buy. u never know, maybe, just maybe HM might get their act together. And toyota might also announce something after seeing the response to mitsu.

the dealer in chennai has also been changed. ACT is no longer the dealer for mitsu in Chennai. Maybe the list of complaints finally caught up with them.

today crv is doing well, but nobody can say about the future. with the way fuel prices are going up, and the govt talking of free pricing in cities and administered pricing in rural areas only, price differenc ebetween petrol and diesel maybe very less (like in other countries). what will then happen to sales of diesel vehicles? only time will tell.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Captiva is too expensive, and only 2WD.

And (to answer Sudev's point) if Outlander is launched with only a 2WD option, then it goes out of my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nilanjanray is looking for a 4x4 which can do some moderating off-roading, so your 2WD Captiva suggestion is totally out of place, even worse than GV somehow.
yes, sorry guys, i missed the 4x4 part of it!
Old 15th July 2008, 18:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Yes, it is a soft roader but it also has 4WD option.

Any way News is in the air that VW Tiguan would be out by end of the year.

It would be 2L diesel engine(common rail) 170bhp,350Nm, 6M/T, all-wheel-drive.
Estimated cost -18L
Old 15th July 2008, 18:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Grand Vitara which is better than other two you are comparing in this thread!

Regards,

Ravi.

PS Take a look at Safari Petrol since it would give same FE (10+ on highway) as other Petrol SUV. For Dog to fit in its perfect vehicle.
Old 15th July 2008, 21:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

The King - Tata Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I suggest Grand Vitara which is better than other two you are comparing in this thread!

Regards,

Ravi.

PS Take a look at Safari Petrol since it would give same FE (10+ on highway) as other Petrol SUV. For Dog to fit in its perfect vehicle.

I was wondering why no one has opened their mouth on the Safari and at last someone has said Safari.

If Safari then go with the Safari VX 4x4 2.2VTT Diesel engine, the engine is really good and i think it has got good off roading capability and lot of place for your Irish Setter to play around in the back.

If i am OT then i would suggest you to go with the GV compared to all other vehicles capability,A.S.S , Price etc etc...

For oof roading i think u can take our Samurai's help in putting the under chassis protection

Last edited by gowda79 : 15th July 2008 at 21:36.
Old 15th July 2008, 21:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Jokes apart, your safest bet is a CRV.
I dont know about the rest... But I dont recommend off roading in a 4X4 CR-V.

Apart from the technical reasons, I just feel that the vehicle hasnt been built for off roading. Its just too delicate for that..

I was reminded of the same while taking delivery from the dealer as well
Old 15th July 2008, 21:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2008 at 15:02.
gowda79 is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks