MG Hector 5 1.96%
Hyundai Creta 16 6.27%
Kia Seltos 11 4.31%
Mahindra Scorpio-N 49 19.22%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 2.35%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2024, 15:45   #16

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx RWD vs Mahindra Scorpio Classic vs Tata Harrier vs Mahindra XUV700 vs others

Can’t vote yet. But my choice will still be one of the Koreans.
Thar, Roxx and other BOF vehicles are a strict no for the family. Not a fan of diesels and not in need of a seven seater.
Turbo petrol of Seltos is fun to drive, cabin has a premium feel and its size is perfect for a family of four.
Old 18th October 2024, 19:21   #17

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx RWD vs Mahindra Scorpio Classic vs Tata Harrier vs Mahindra XUV700 vs others

Cant Vote yet.
My vote would go to Tata Harrier Dark edition. It has everything that one looks for in a car - Stunning looks, Great design, Solid build quality, Powerful engine, great driving dynamics, Plush interiors.
For me XUV700 falls behind because of dated interiors and boring looks. But yes it will score better on engine options.
Cant comment on Thar Roxx as I have not yet driven it. Scores on looks but it doesnt seem like a family car.
Baby Driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2024, 19:36   #18
BHPian

Not a fan of BOF vehicles so no Scoprio/Thar for me. If one is fine with the tacky looks & the plasticky interiors the XUV700 would be the best pick from a mechanical POV (Ignoring the DPF issues) , it has a stonker motor.

If you are going for look & feel then Harrier is on top , be it exterior or interior looks the Harrier/Safari cousins feel like a segment abpve the competition. If you want something fun to drive that handles great then the Harrier is a good pick.

The Seltos too has amazing looking interiors & is a good looking car overall , albeit is smaller than the other vehicles mentioned here.
Old 18th October 2024, 20:55   #19
BHPian

My choice is Jeep Compass if only RWD Thar Roxx is under consideration as monocoques are always ahead in terms of ride, handling, comfort than a ladder chassis platform. Out of all the monocoques here, Compass is way ahead of others and the only issue with it is the poor service network and occasional blip in the quality department. On the other hand its safety quotient and solidity trumps the competitors. So my pick is Jeep Compass.
Old 18th October 2024, 21:05   #20
BHPian

I voted for Thar ROXX simply because I think it has a distinct character. It's not the best option on paper but it's that product which will always keep you thinking if you never get it and also if you get it (for different reasons of-course). It's like the Bullet of the motorcycle world. XUV700 is probably better in every aspect, but you can't get the feel of the THAR from it ever.
Old 18th October 2024, 21:44   #21
BHPian

Voted for SELTOS. Both Creta and Seltos are a size below so comparing with Scorpio and Thar ROXX types is unfair. Nevertheless, both Creta and Seltos are perfect for urban and highway drives for a normal family. Voted Seltos over Creta due to better design and layout. Kia's ASS and Seltos drive dynamics are a pleasure. Might have voted for XUV700 as it is a sorted vehicle but too big for congested city traffic and parking.
Old 18th October 2024, 23:12   #22
BHPian

Harrier hands down for me. 9 months and 22000 kms, I would buy another one in the family any day. The ride on the highways is to die for.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2024, 23:41   #23
BHPian

After having owned the pre-facelift Safari from 2022-23 with the pathetic steering and having now put 44k kms on the XUV700 in a year, I can safely say it is the best and the most definitive car out there. Last year we bought two cars - the XUV700 after replacing my Safari and the Seltos facelift X-line D AT after replacing my dad's 5th Gen Honda City. Quite frankly after getting used to the XUV700, Seltos feels kind of a meh car. Maybe the turbo petrol one is better but this diesel engine is quite underwhelming to drive on the highway.

Considering a one-car garage, XUV700 will anyday be better and it is a sentiment echoed by my friend circle too. I bought the XUV700 and helped another BHPian friend buy it too. Now my childhood best friend bought one in July this year and my college best friend is getting his delivery of the XUV700 in a week's time. Niggles may come and go (thankfully haven't faced any) but a better driving experience will always appeal to an enthusiast. Since I already own a XUV700, have booked a Thar Roxx with Mocha Brown interiors since owning two XUVs will be an overkill and will be letting go the Seltos. Since practicality is already taken care of, the Roxx will be quite awesome as a secondary car. However, considering a one car garage and budgetary constraints - one can never go wrong with either Creta or Seltos. But if its the drive experience one craves for - XUV700 anyday.
Old 19th October 2024, 09:53   #24
BHPian

The Safari should have been on this list. It's strange that it isn't. Also the Alcazar and the Hycross. The Scorpio Classic has no business being here as it's target customer is quite different, with Scorpio N now available.

My vote goes to the XUV7OO for it's well rounded package. Though the Safari and Harrier and far more "desirable" products, the reliability and bugs work against them. The XUV7OO's engines, ride and handling package, features, safety, space (except the last row) add up to an unbeatable package.
Old 19th October 2024, 11:57   #25
BHPian

Voted XUV7OO without doubt as a all-rounder!

I'll soon be on lookout to replace my 10yr old XUV 5OO and as that ownership is everything to go by, so the next gen i.e the 7OO makes all sense as it is way ahead on practicality, safety, features and now it has even settled in after launch.
I look at MG as a gimmicky Chinese feature wagon, the Korean offerings though good are not great value for money. And while the Harrier/ Safari is a best looker amongst all, after owning two Tata's, I feel Mahindra service experience and costs have been better.

Last edited by Freespirit27 : 19th October 2024 at 11:58. Reason: Safari should've been there!
Old 19th October 2024, 14:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio Classic - As an erstwhile 1st gen Safari fanboi, have to admit that the Scorpio is awesome to drive. Something about it, for Indian conditions. But just to drive. As a family car, as a passenger, suspension wise. Nah, no 'image' is worth to trade in comfort and practicality.

Tata Harrier - Have driven only the 2019 Harrier. As as highway car and as a 5 seater it is good, too good maybe. But for city driving? Nah. Have factored in the facelift's EPS and automatic transmission too. But those touch only interiors and the monostable gear selector is too tacky. Not worth the niggles and horrid service centre experiences.

Mahindra XUV700 - Hmm... Is there a facelift where normal door handles are given instead of the flush one? Or the top variant's electric motor door handles are offered in all variants? No. No thanks.

MG Hector - .....(yawn)

Hyundai Creta - No-nonsense vehicle. Especially with the latest facelfit design, there isn't much to fault it. Engine and transmission options for everyone. Well designed interiors. Only problem is that for such an expensive and well selling model, Hyundai hasn't addressed the poor crash test rating of the 2022 model and is silent about it. Arrogant much. The latest facelifted one is said to be safer, but nothing more assuring than sending it to for a crash test rating.

Kia Seltos - Fancy Creta.

Mahindra Thar Roxx RWD - Love the MX1 and MX3 diesel options. But don't want to end up being a poser by driving a 2WD jeep. Maybe, I am the buyer for a next gen Bolero. Like the tough nature, but don't want the jeep image.

Mahindra Scorpio-N - My vote goes for the ScorpioN. If some one made a vehicle looking at my wishlist for an 'Indian SUV', the ScorpioN would be the result. Not that it is perfect. Have driven only the diesel-auto. My brother who drove the diesel manual said that something was off with the gearlever placement and it didn't feel as 'natural' as the old Scorpio placement. Then there is the serious front suspension issues reported. Could have designed the boot area/ 3rd row far better and made the rear space much more useful. Nitpicking would be the stupidly shallow centre armrest storage area and the lazy placement of the ventilated seat controls inside the touchscreen. Also the lazy placement of the 4Xplor dial sacrificing a cupholder. Could have used the mechanical lever of the Thar for the 4X4 system instead.

Last edited by DicKy : 19th October 2024 at 15:02.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2024, 16:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

1. XUV7OO
2. Harrier
3. Scorpio N

It's high time we forget the Scorpio Classic imho. It can't even be compared to the modern SUVs.
Old 19th October 2024, 17:27   #28
BHPian

Voted for XUV 700 without blinking. In last 30 months of ownership, my gajraj has taken me around 42k kms. I can't even think that any other option in the group comes close to the all in one package offered by XUV 700. It is safe, stylish, comfortable, powerful and feature rich.

But there's one more thing this voting has pointed out. Did anyone notice that at present atleast 74% of voting is for Mahindra cars. This means that Mahindra is not about to stop anytime soon. Its good to see a desi brand giving other players such good competition, especially when their average car price is more than the competitors

It's good to see buyers having a tough time to choose a car. Problem of plenty is a good thing.

Happy driving
Old 19th October 2024, 18:14   #29
BHPian

Voted Scorpio-N. The high seating position, the butch presence, plush interiors, mechanical buttons and go-anywhere capability is unmatched. Looks are a personal choice - but it is the car where I would not do a single mod. I love it absolutely as Mahindra offers it! And given that Mahindra is able to offer this package for 13.49L (Z8S Diesel automatic - the balance goes to the govt in the form of GST and RTO) - is absolutely commendable.

Harrier comes a close second - purely because of its extremely sorted suspension setup and it has the fun-to-drive factor, same as the Scorpio-N. However, the recent price increase after the facelift don’t justify buying the Harrier. And while there maybe a 1.x Lakh discount - the 40% that go to the government in the OTR price doesn’t get discounted. TBH, Tata’s have priced themselves out. And that is where I appreciate the Mahindra Sales team and decision-makers so much more - as soon as they saw a whiff of a slowdown, they released a new-discounted variant - Z8 Select on the SN.

Creta is extremely capable - I know it’s in a different segment altogether, even if it's classified as an ‘SUV’. However, Creta has a feel-good factor and a sorted-everything. The only reason for not putting it at the top - the pricing doesn’t justify the package!

Hector - Apart from what everyone has mentioned about the low power and boat-like ride quality, for me the deal-breaker is: They have tinny window glasses. Every honk from bikes, autos and other cars - seeps in (just take a back-to-back TD with the SN and you’ll know). Not cool for a 25L car.

XUV700 - Despite the highest votes, somehow never worked for me. Not as planted as the Scorpio-N and to me personally, neither as premium (even with all the XL touchscreens). Plus, the sections I test drove - SN beat the 700 in terms of ride quality. To our entire family, it felt like a neither here, nor there kind of product.

Roxx - The boxy Thar/ Roxx looks is getting dated. Plus, despite all the xtra efforts taken, doesn’t seem as plush as the SN or the 700. Have started seeing a few Roxx’s on-road now - as you overtake them, you can’t help but wonder if it doesn’t look like the old Maxx pick-up!! Honestly!

Seltos - Kia has just gotten lazy in terms of mid-life upgrades. Creta’s new iteration looks so much cooler and futuristic.

Last edited by manishk83 : 19th October 2024 at 18:41.
Old 19th October 2024, 20:32   #30
BHPian

This is exactly my problem right now!

First of, a bit conflicted between petrol & diesel - given the random NGT restrictions that may come into play.

The Roxx's appeal is undeniable, but the potential niggles is a tough pill to swallow. The Scorpio N is credible, but the petrol mileage reviews have been a bit too rave for my liking. The XUV is too stylish for my liking, & the Harrier/Safari have been ruined due to the recent spike in horrible service stories. The Creta is a good backup choice - but of course, it does seem a step below all of these big boys.

Most likely I'll go with the N, or just maybe the Roxx (if availability isn't a constraint).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks