Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Citroen Basalt variant would you buy?
You 1.2 NA Petrol MT 4 2.44%
Plus 1.2 NA Petrol MT 1 0.61%
Plus 1.2 Turbo Petrol MT 13 7.93%
Plus 1.2 Turbo Petrol AT 32 19.51%
Max 1.2 Turbo Petrol MT 24 14.63%
Max 1.2 Turbo Petrol AT 90 54.88%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2024, 09:58   #1
BHPian

Citroen Basalt | Which variant would you buy and why?

Citroen Basalt | Which variant would you buy and why?-2024_citroen_basalt_exterior_01.jpg

Citroen Basalt is technically the first ICE-powered mass-market coupe SUV launched in India. It is offered with two engine options along with manual and automatic transmission options to choose from.

While the Basalt doesn't come with an exhaustive feature list as compared to its segment rivals, it still features a generous package of amenities. Its standout feature, however, is its exceptional ride quality, which sets it apart and compensates for feature omissions.

(Review Link).

Citroen Basalt | Which variant would you buy and why?-citroen-basalt-trims.png

There are a total of 3 variants on offer. Here's a deep dive into all the variants to help you identify the most valuable trim for your preferences.

You

Top Features

- 15-inch Steel Wheels
- Halogen Headlamps
- Fabric Upholstery
- Manual Air-conditioner
- Front Power Windows
- Integrated Headrests
- 4 Airbags
- Reverse Parking Sensors
- ESP
- Hill-hold Assist
- ABS with EBD
- ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts

Plus

Top Features Over You

- 16-inch Steel Wheels with Wheel Cover
- Steering-mounted Controls
- Driver Seat Height Adjust
- Steering Tilt Adjust
- Adjustable Headrests
- 10.2-inch Infotainment
- Wireless Android Auto & Apple CarPlay
- 4-speaker Audio
- All 4 Power Windows
- Electrically-adjustable ORVMs
- Remote Keyless Entry
- TPMS
- Automatic Climate Control (turbo-petrol only)
- LED Projector Headlamps (turbo-petrol only)
- Front Fog Lamps (turbo-petrol only)
- Rear AC Vents (turbo-petrol only)
- Rear Defogger (turbo-petrol only)
- Engine Start/Stop Button (turbo-petrol only)

Max

Top Features Over Plus

- 16-inch Diamond-cut Alloy Wheels
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- 6-speaker Audio
- Rear Seats Adjustable Under-thigh Support (AT)
- Rear-view Camera
- Connected car tech (AT)

Conclusion

The base variant of the Citroen Basalt severely lacks features. Considering the top-spec doesn't offer all that more compared to the mid-spec, the Plus trim offers the best value for money.

Buyers can choose between all combinations of engine and transmission options offered on the Basalt’s mid-spec variant.

Do you think that Plus is the most value-for-money variant, also if you had to buy, which variant would you pick?

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2024 at 16:47.
Ripcord09 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 10:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Citroen Basalt | Which variant would you buy and why?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 10:33   #3
BHPian

For me it would be Max Turbo AT as it gets Connected car tech and Rear seat thigh support over Max Turbo MT. Citroen should've offered this features even in the MT also.

Agree with @Ripcord09, Plus trim is the most VFM especially with the Turbo engine. But since top variant has some good to have features, so I've voted for the top variant .

Last edited by sharmanova : 30th August 2024 at 10:36.
sharmanova is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 10:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Poll options are not correct, there's no turbo base variant. The 9.99 lakh price tag is for non-turbo mid variant instead. Turbo engine is offered from mid variant onwards.

That aside, I think the price increments for Basalt are too steep. Mid variant is decently kitted for an average joe, but 2 lakh is a lot of incremental money for those features given that most of the useful ones are still reserved for turbo variants.

Last edited by self_driven : 30th August 2024 at 10:44.
self_driven is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 10:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Basalt Turbo Petrol Max 1.2 MT for me, since I see this as more of a chauffer driven car.

The rear seat adjustable underthigh support, better music system are some of the reasons for picking this variant.

Since its Chauffer driven, MT is ok.

Pity though that cruise control is not provided even in the top trim.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 14:38   #6
BHPian

I would choose the Max Turbo AT variant, because a rear view camera is essential. Should have been offered in the Plus variant too.
JunkyardHunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 14:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The reality is out:

- Citroen Basalt Max accounts for 60 percent of bookings

- 50 percent Max buyers opting for automatic gearbox

- Polar White and Garnet Red are popular colour choices

- A 70:30 split is being observed for engine choices, with the naturally aspirated unit accounting for 30 percent.

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 17:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord09 View Post
Do you think that Plus is the most value-for-money variant, also if you had to buy, which variant would you pick?
I do agree that the Plus variant offers the best value for money.

Most of the features available in the Max variant falls into the "nice to have" category, and you can easily live without them. However, I am puzzled as to why Citron has kept the rearview camera exclusive to the top variant. Is it considered a premium feature these days?
Perhaps I would add the camera as an accessory along with the leather wrapped steering wheel to the Plus variant. This should suffice for most buyers.
It's Magic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 10:08   #9
BHPian

Voted: Plus 1.2 Turbo Petrol MT

All the features you need. The rear thigh support is missed, but I am not entirely sold on it with regards to how usable is it and if it would be as comfortable as it is projected to be. Everything else is a nice to have, but won't be missed during ownership. MT for the mileage, considering it a turbo engine. The AT being Aisin is definitely worth considering, but the increase in price is STEEP. The jump from the base variant to the voted option itself is quite steep and a tough pill to swallow.

Who is this base variant for? Taxis? It would be unsightly to see this beautifully designed car being used like that. No aspirational sentiment would come from that.
Old 31st August 2024, 10:40   #10
BHPian

From the above options, I suggest my friends to go for Plus 1.2 Turbo Petrol MT variant and voted the same. Prefer aftermarket, rather spending an additional one lakh on alloy wheels, two extra speakers and a rear-view camera. "I am a pure diesel MT fan, stick to them until the ban on diesel cars."
Old 31st August 2024, 11:03   #11
BHPian

I voted for the base NA MT version.

The turbo engine in Citroen is a hoot to drive as anyone who's driven a Citroen C3 Turbo is aware of.

I prefer the NA engine due to its relative simplicity and easy maintainence over turbo engine. Citroen is a new entrant with very few service outlets and I would rather play safe here with the base variant to test the waters. I am being conservative and defensive here in this matter.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 21:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I voted for the base NA MT version.

I prefer the NA engine due to its relative simplicity and easy maintainence over turbo engine. Citroen is a new entrant with very few service outlets and I would rather play safe here with the base variant to test the waters.
Completely understand your sentiment but would like to see if I can change that

Turbos are mainly used for two purposes -

1. Extreme amounts power from small displacement with high boost pressures and large turbos.

2. Improve fuel economy of NA motor, low end torque, emissions and as a bi-product you get little more power and healthy torque.

Main stream turbos are all of category 2. Citroen has made tons of turbo-diesels abroad and turbo-petrol isn't new for them. If you are getting a NA engine in 2024 and plan on keeping it for a decade, you are missing out on a lot of fun. I assure you once you go turbo, there is no coming back.

My parents have a humble Ignis with 1.2, great engine and respectable power-to-weight ratio but even a Nissan Magnite with it's 1.0T blows it out of the water.

For anyone considering NA Citroen: if budget isn't the problem, get the Turbo with that extended warranty .
FiestaST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2024, 01:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestaST View Post
Completely understand your sentiment but would like to see if I can change that:

Turbos are mainly used for two purposes -

1. Extreme amounts power from small displacement with high boost pressures and large turbos.

2. Improve fuel economy of NA motor, low end torque, emissions and as a bi-product you get little more power and healthy torque.
Thanks for your post. I believe your reasoning is perfect.
I have already booked a Mahindra XUV 3XO TCMPFi variant and awaiting delivery in coming days. The 3XO come only with Turbo Petrol and Diesel engines with no NA engine.

Today I drove a friends brand new Mahindra XUV 3XO MX3 Automatic (TCMPFi) variant for about 130 Kms and it was a pleasure to drive.

The Citroen Turbo engines are a hoot to drive as my friends C3 Turbo variant has proved time and again. I believe they could be the best Turbo engine cars in their segment, better than the more popular brands.

Turbo engined require a better quality fuel (95 Ron or above) and I don't know how the regular petrol (91 Ron) will fare in long run..The Ethanol blending also has reached close to 13% and the Govt wants 20% blending by next year. I am not sure how Turbo engines will fare with such blending.. These are untested territories. We will know better when we reach there.

My neighbour has a Mahindra XUV 300 since over 4 years and wasn't aware that his car owner's manual specially mentioned that 95RON fuel should be used till I pointed out it him. These are the grey areas I am trying to understand and traverse.

As I mentioned earlier, I have booked Mahindra XUV 3XO and it's a Turbo engine car. I am taking a leap of faith and exercise due diligence in maintaining the car to the best of my ability and see how it goes.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2024, 21:41   #14
BHPian

It's unlikely that I will buy this car but if I were to, I will be opting for top end AT as it is closest to my requirements. The rate of change in cars is happening at a rapid pace and if one has to hold the car for a reasonable long time frame, it helps to pick the top end.
Old 4th September 2024, 22:24   #15
BHPian

Voted for Max Turbo AT. Been using the top variant always and have developed a habit kind of it, I know that I won't be happy with a mid level variant, leave alone the base one. Anytime, I think of owning a car, I always weigh my options with price of the top of the line model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks