Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2024, 10:16   #1
BHPian

At age 60, I want a car with ADAS for 50-lakh rupees

I will soon be in the market to buy a new car. Before visiting dealerships, I plan to shortlist a few models and do some research to make my experience more meaningful and less confusing.

As I am over 60, my reflexes may not be as sharp, so I want a vehicle with ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) features. These features can help me manage the erratic and irresponsible behavior of urban commuters and dense traffic, and keep me safe on highways if my attention wavers.

My commute will likely be 60% urban and 40% highway travel.

I am considering the Tucson, as it seems to meet most of my needs. Please help me shortlist other options. I have ruled out the Meridian as I do not want two cars from the same family.

I have a tentative budget of 50 lakh (on-road Delhi). I am happy to spend less but would hesitate to exceed this amount unless there is a compelling reason. Lastly, I am not interested in paying more than 20% for a brand name. I believe in value for money.

Help me choose the right car

Last edited by pd1108 : 16th July 2024 at 10:19.
pd1108 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 10:56   #2
BHPian

re: At age 60, I want a car with ADAS for 50-lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post

As I am over 60, my reflexes may not be as sharp, so I want a vehicle with ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) features. These features can help me manage the erratic and irresponsible behavior of urban commuters and dense traffic, and keep me safe on highways if my attention wavers.

Check out the Harrier Automatic. It has comfortable large seats. Good road presence. It does not have adaptive cruise control or lane keep assist. But Level 2 ADAS features, the best part is the cross traffic alerts and blind spot detection.
At age 60, I want a car with ADAS for 50-lakh rupees-adasbrochureharrier2.jpg
At age 60, I want a car with ADAS for 50-lakh rupees-adasbrochureharrier3.jpg
At age 60, I want a car with ADAS for 50-lakh rupees-adasbrochureharrier4.jpg

Source: adas-brochure-harrier.pdf

Last edited by HillMan : 16th July 2024 at 11:16. Reason: added source of images
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 10:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
I will soon be in the market to buy a new car. Before visiting dealerships, I plan to shortlist a few models and do some research to make my experience more meaningful and less confusing.

I am considering the Tucson, as it seems to meet most of my needs. Please help me shortlist other options. I have ruled out the Meridian as I do not want two cars from the same family.

I have a tentative budget of 50 lakh (on-road Delhi). I am happy to spend less but would hesitate to exceed this amount unless there is a compelling reason. Lastly, I am not interested in paying more than 20% for a brand name. I believe in value for money.

From a value perspective, The Hyundai Tucson ticks most boxes, it's a high-riding vehicle with a modern cabin and excellent quality, and it's a feature-loaded model with refined motors and costs between Rs.33.75 lakhs for the Platinum AT 2.0 Petrol going to Rs.41.65 lakhs for the Signature 4WD Diesel AT (all prices on-road Gurgaon), Moreover Hyundai is offering a minimum 50k cash discount on all variants of the Tucson this month as well.

Another car from the Hyundai stable worth consideration is the IONIQ 5. It offers an excellent ride quality, a unique design,loads of features and is an EV with good range, making it an overall fun car. riced at around 53 lakhs, it is definitely a greatt car worth considering if you are OK with an EV.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 11:02   #4
BHPian

Hello,

Considering your location of Delhi NCR, and your requirements of a car with ADAS, I would suggest that a car not bigger in size than an X - line Seltos or a Honda Elevate CVT should fit the bill. Both the cars come feature loaded but the points to be noted are that-

- The Seltos comes with all kinds of ADAS "warnings" but maybe lacks Auto emergency braking. It does come with a faster engine and DCT combo.

-Whereas the Elevate gets Emergency braking along with other ADAS facilities but lacks ventilated seats and some other features of the Seltos.
Vkap257 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 11:15   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I think you should get the Elevate CVT. Its smooth and reliable engine will keep you calm and give unmatched peace of mind.
Plus the safety suite also matches your requirements, and since the car's all-around visibility is also super fine, you won't have a problem while navigating through city streets.
theAutomaniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 11:44   #6
BHPian

If you are ok with electric...
MG ZS EV...
Byd Atto 3

If ICE, then Tucson or Tiguan
smartindboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 12:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I am happy to spend less ......
By no means do I mean to lowball your budget but what you are looking for would best fit a Hyundai Creta Techline or higher.

With its naturally aspirated motor and torque converter combination, it is reliable, a comfortable cruiser on the motorways and easy to drive within a city.
Newtown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 13:55   #8
BHPian

Would recommend the Kodiaq. It's got a great car-like feel for driving, quite pliable suspension and behavior and has classy interiors not to mention the built-to-last feel. The petrol is thirsty but with the right driving style, one can extract good mileage.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 15:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If you are ok compromising on ADAS, the Tiguan/Q3 could be right up your alley as far as vehicle goes (service and reliability is another question but they seem to be doing fairly well in terms of reliability if you're good about the fuel quality + know good independent mechanics as it's a popular engine).
Main reason being: easy ingress, comfortable seating (rear seats of tucson felt a little lower), brilliant view with almost nil blind spots (again the curvy tucson doesn't feel as comfortable to drive in traffic and tight spots), with solid build and great driving mannerisms that would keep you happy.
The ride on the tiguan is on the stiff side but if you do a lot of highway runs - the stiff set up and solid build would reassure you everytime you hit the road.

However, if ADAS isn't negotiable and you want a better ride - the Tucson is definitely a brilliant all rounder and a generation newer than the Tiguan and Q3. I wouldn't consider the Harrier / Safari due to niggles and even the XUV700 isn't as niggle free as I would like : the Tiguan / Q3 are at least somewhat known devils and should be fairly reliable as long as you have access to good quality fuel.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 16:23   #10
BHPian

Based on your requirement, I would say the Tucson is the best option. Its well built and has really good fit and finish. Easy to drive and decent performance. Plus Hyundai is the least painful to deal with in terms of service and upkeep.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 19:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: At age 60, I want a car with ADAS for 50-lakh rupees

ADAS is a good idea but I would also suggest a car which has 'traffic jam assist' as well (Which is part of ADAS2?).
When ever I am stuck in traffic jams for hours, where you end up trailing a vehicle ahead of you in by inch, I feel this would be useful feature to have. On automatics, right leg is working overtime, shuffling between A and B pedals.
I was researching and found that only MG ZS EV (and Astor/Hector) has this feature (around 30 lakhs). Tucson and Ioniq 5 may have it as well.
If you don't need lot of space, I would suggest to avoid big vehicles like Kodiaq.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 23:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: At age 60, I want a car with ADAS for 50-lakh rupees

I hate to say this. But if your reflexes are down to the point where you prefer to rely on ADAS it is really time to stop driving!

ADAS and all the other fancy safety features are not meant to replace diminishing human abilities to drive a car.

Seriously, it takes a lot to admit you are not as sharp as you used to be. But don’t rely on these features to be safe! That is not what they were designed or intended for.

There comes a time for all of us, when we are simply not capable of driving a car anymore. For some this might happen at 45, some other at 83. Some countries have mandatory health checks for drivers above a certain age. Unfortunately, age is quite the arbitrary factor in this. In practice it is very personal.

Most people overestimate their driving ability. This starts as soon as they get their driving license! Men, a considerable lot more than women.

I am not sure what kind of medical test you can do in India to verify you are in a fit mental and physical state to drive a car. But you might want to ask a close friend, somebody you trust and feel comfortable with, he/she will give honest feedback, to drive along with you for an hour and a half in different driving conditions.

We have a number of threads and posts on the forum where members discuss if and to what extend safety feature in a car cause the driver to take bigger risks. Well, from now on, whenever this question pops up, members will be referring to you, I hate to say.

You can’t drive faster because you are wearing a safety belt. People do however!
You can’t drive faster on wet roads because your car has ABS. People do however!
You can’t rely on ADAs when your reflexes are slowing down. People do however!
Etc. Etc.

Good luck, rethink your ADAS reliance please!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 16th July 2024 at 23:50. Reason: y
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks