Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2024, 09:11   #1
BHPian

BYD Atto 3 vs Mahindra XUV700 | After recent price reductions on both cars

Its interesting how quickly market dynamics change. Few days back BYD was nowhere in my budget and consideration. and I was confused between Hector CVT and XUV. After the reduction of XUV 700 prices, I was almost sold towards XUV 700 AXL D. But again with introduction of Dynamic model of BYD Atto 3 along with 0% road tax in U.P. I am getting confused about the car I should buy.

BYD will cost around 26.5 on road and XUV 700 around 28. I have an Exter which my wife uses for office and a Jazz which parents use for kids and chores. My driving has 10k annual run with may be 1 to 2 long drives a year with max 300 km one side. Only in these trips the entire family of 2 kids (aged 3 and 9) and 4 adults go. Rest normally we don’t get to travel too many times together.

I was thinking of 7 seater keeping in mind with size of family when traveling. Although daily a drive alone and on weekends only with kids and spouse. Electric will save money as my daily running to office is around 30km (to and fro). I have heard and seen great reviews about the Atto 3 but switching to EV is not which is easy.

I am from a small city Prayagraj and Atto showroom is in Lucknow which is 200km from here. So there is hassle of going for servicing. Although BYD is offering 200 km free road side assistance and 6 year warranty on car. So I might only have to travel for annual servicing.
BHPians please suggest what might be best option with all your experiences and expertise.

Thank you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th July 2024 at 12:45. Reason: Typos. Caps wherever needed.
utkarshgoel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 17:17   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
re: BYD Atto 3 vs Mahindra XUV700 | After recent price reductions on both cars

The Atto 3 is an international model from the best manufacturers of EV batteries out there, It is built on a dedicated EV platform and is a well-rounded vehicle however it is a brand with a limited sales and service network, Moreover the Dynamic variant isn't as feature-loaded as the higher trims or even the XUV700 AX7L, Whereas the XUV700 gets you a well-rounded car which has been consistent in sales, a better sales and service network and the flexibility of 7 seats should you need it.

So all things considered, the XUV700 would be my choice among the two.
bijims is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 17:36   #3
BHPian

My pick would definitely be the XUV7OO AX7L D - AT!

Quote:
My driving has 10k annual run with may be 1 to 2 long drives a year with max 300 km one side.
EVs right now, won't be able to munch miles as easily as Diesels. Period. No matter how much the Range counter shows, Range Anxiety is REAL!

Quote:
I was thinking of 7 seater keeping in mind with size of family when traveling.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the BYD is a 5-seater, no, and you did mention that you would prefer a 7-seater. So, the XUV7OO again.

Quote:
am from a small city Prayagraj and Atto showroom is in Lucknow which is 200km from here. So there is hassle of going for servicing. Although BYD is offering 200 km free road side assistance and 6 year warranty on car. So I might only have to travel for annual servicing.
BYD doesn't have service centers in cities like yours. So, getting a car which is tried and tested, in terms of ASS would make sense.

BYD is still new to India, not that they're bad cars, no no. They have really good cars. It's just that the lack of ASS when compared to M&M, M&M is superior. Just get the XUV7OO and be happy. No range anxiety, no charging station worries. Just fill it up twice a month and you are good to go!

Cheers and Happy Hunting!!

PS : I would love to see an ownership review!
nova.19_exe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 20:31   #4
BHPian

Wow Xuv 700 is really a great car and was really looking at it but today I did a test drive of Ax7 L auto diesel. I was disappointed as the ride was not very smooth as in cities like mine the average speed is around 40 and I found that Xuv 700 holds second great till 40 which made a somewhat loud sound of engine and was not great. It became buttery smooth when I increased speed at few stretches. Instead I also test drove CVT hector and the ride was linear and smoother, its screen and all are something that needs another discussion. Still confused

Last edited by utkarshgoel : 13th July 2024 at 20:32.
utkarshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 06:04   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshgoel View Post
Wow Xuv 700 is really a great car and was really looking at it but today I did a test drive of Ax7 L auto diesel. I was disappointed as the ride was not very smooth as in cities like mine the average speed is around 40 and I found that Xuv 700 holds second great till 40 which made a somewhat loud sound of engine and was not great. It became buttery smooth when I increased speed at few stretches. Instead I also test drove CVT hector and the ride was linear and smoother, its screen and all are something that needs another discussion. Still confused
If it's a feature-laden cabin with plush interiors and a refined drivetrain is that you are after and don't mind the floaty ride quality, body roll and not-exciting drive nature and single-digit mileage in the city, the MG Hector CVT and MG Hector CVT or the MG Hector Plus CVT at under 26 lakhs or 27 lakhs OTR for the top-end variants should be the car for you, else if you prefer a Hybrid, you can get the Invicto or Hycross too (Invicto starting from 26 lakhs OTR going to 30 lakhs OTR and Hycross starting from 28 lakhs OTR), that way you get a spacious car with Hybrid tech offering an effortless drive, excellent mileage with solid road presence and its great for the family too.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 10:15   #6
BHPian

Hello,

If it's your primary vehicle I wouldn't recommend ev, if it's your 2nd or 3rd then maybe yes, as even the service center is 200km away.

Secondly why don't you consider hycross hybrid, I believe even that has a road tax waiver in UP. It's a solid and dependable car with good FE, if you intend to keep the car for a long time and want a dependable car, definitely Hycross Hybrid. You never know when the state may revoke their road tax waiver decision, so don't go for gimmicky cars and opt for a solid built vehicle.

Cheers.
SakJel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 10:20   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

I am from a small city Prayagraj and Atto showroom is in Lucknow which is 200km from here. So there is hassle of going for servicing. Although BYD is offering 200 km free road side assistance and 6 year warranty on car. So I might only have to travel for annual servicing.
BHPians please suggest what might be best option with all your experiences and expertise.

Thank you.
Going by everything you said about your requirement for a vehicle, the XUV700 seems to fit the bill perfectly.

The Atto seems to be in contention because of it's novelty and the lower running costs, and you're trying to make your peace with its downsides like the lower seating capacity, possible range anxiety, unavailability of local ASS, etc.

Please also consider the lifecycle costs of each of these cars.

Considering the fast pace of evolution of EVs, it's very likely that a contemporary EV in 2024 would be quite outdated in five years, while a decent ICE vehicle would still be quite relevant in five years, and this will reflect in the residual value you can get for it when you decide to sell it one day.

Question is, whether your running is high enough to offset the steep depreciation you're almost guaranteed to encounter with the BYD?
vijaysrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 10:25   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Heyy! Car buying journeys are so much fun with all the test driving etc. I do not know if I can help you much because I have not test driven any of the mentioned cars. But, I urge you to give us more information so that the other experts on the forum can help you with more pinpointed advice. Example of info that can help is -

1. You have mentioned a 5 seater and a 7 seater car and you have mentioned you will travel with entire family. So which is it? Which car are you actually looking to buy - 7 seater or 5 seater?

2. Have you test driven any other 7 seater or sat in any 7 seater that you have liked in the past? Any other such anecdotes that help people know you and your requirements better.

3. Have you test driven the Atto 3 and, if you have visited the BYD showroom, what did you think of the E6 (bigger car)?

4. Are you brand conscious? The most practical 7 seater is the XL6 but people want more than "just a Maruti". So do you have any such preferences? Another example, many people stay away from Tatas. Are you also one of them. Such info will help.

5. Budget - should we assume ~30 lacs as you budget or would you be ok with a 16 lac car too? (status symbol and all). Or would you be ok with a 35 lac rupee recommendation from someone.

I am not saying that you answer these exact questions but if you elaborate more on your requirements then the experts will advise better.

From my side, all I will say is that with the Hybrid RTO cost cuts, the Innova hybrid will make for a great 7 seater. It will probably get delivered in 2026 - haha. On the other hand, Tata Safari is a complete car with all creature comforts. Additionally, if you can wait, the new Kia Carnival is a beautiful family car. If you are looking to save money and still get a great family car - XL6.

These are cars I have direct experience with/have sat in and hence I can recommend.
sjain2054 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 12:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Its interesting how quickly market dynamics change. Few days back BYD was nowhere in my budget and consideration. and I was confused between Hector CVT and XUV. After the reduction of XUV 700 prices, I was almost sold towards XUV 700 AXL D. But again with introduction of Dynamic model of BYD Atto 3 along with 0% road tax in U.P. I am getting confused about the car I should buy.

BYD will cost around 26.5 on road and XUV 700 around 28. I have an Exter which my wife uses for office and a Jazz which parents use for kids and chores. My driving has 10k annual run with may be 1 to 2 long drives a year with max 300 km one side. Only in these trips the entire family of 2 kids (aged 3 and 9) and 4 adults go. Rest normally we don’t get to travel too many times together.

I was thinking of 7 seater keeping in mind with size of family when traveling. Although daily a drive alone and on weekends only with kids and spouse. Electric will save money as my daily running to office is around 30km (to and fro). I have heard and seen great reviews about the Atto 3 but switching to EV is not which is easy.

Thank you.
Hi Utkarshgoel - As suggested you in DM, please check out Toyota Hycross VX(O). It is a practical 7 seater & boot is large enough even when all the seats are occupied. It is powerful & very fuel efficient. Two of my senior colleagues using it and my boss is also using Invicto (Maruti version of Hycross) and all are getting 20+ km fuel efficiency in Delhi-NCR usage on daily basis. Hycross VX(O) don't have ADAS, but hopefully one can live without ADAS.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 12:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Its interesting how quickly market dynamics change. Few days back BYD was nowhere in my budget and consideration. and I was confused between Hector CVT and XUV. After the reduction of XUV 700 prices, I was almost sold towards XUV 700 AXL D.
- I would recommend against buying a Hector CVT for obvious reasons of lack of mileage and reliability
- XUV700 is a great product for a proper 7 seater BUT you need to first make sure whether you want a 5 seater or a proper 7 seater for the family as per your requirement in the future
- BYD Atto 3 is a fantastic product and even more tempting with their 25L variant launch recently

[quote=BYD will cost around 26.5 on road and XUV 700 around 28. I have an Exter which my wife uses for office and a Jazz which parents use for kids and chores. My driving has 10k annual run with may be 1 to 2 long drives a year with max 300 km one side. Only in these trips the entire family of 2 kids (aged 3 and 9) and 4 adults go. Rest normally we don’t get to travel too many times together[/QUOTE]

- As your wife and parents already have small cars for city use and your annual driving is very less, I would suggest you go with BYD Atto 3 because your outstation trips are not more than 300 km one way AND BYD can easily give you more than a minimum of 350 km range at one go
- 4 adults and one child can sit comfortably enough in Atto 3 and the second child has to be accomodated with a compromise BUT you have already told that only once or twice such trips with less than 300 km are undertaken, so it should not be a worry for a family of 4 usually

Quote:
I was thinking of 7 seater keeping in mind with size of family when traveling. Although daily a drive alone and on weekends only with kids and spouse. Electric will save money as my daily running to office is around 30km (to and fro).
- Electric will save you at least Rs.7 per km compared to a XUV700 D AT with a rupee more for Petrol counterpart along with maintenance
- For your annual run of minimum 10k km you will be saving a least of Rs. 70,000 per year
- Atto 3 will give you a city range of close to a minimum of 425 km and if you have a solar at home/office, you will have almost 0 running cost
- Even with state electricity company, running costs will be less than Rs. 1.25 in any tariff conditions
- On the highways too, the running costs will be less than Rs. 3.25 per km with DC Fast Charge options

Quote:
I am from a small city Prayagraj and Atto showroom is in Lucknow which is 200km from here. So there is hassle of going for servicing.
- A service is once in a year affair and BYD is reliable in that sense, so a Saturday once a year will get your car serviced as well as a family outing to the neighbouring city
- The most important reason EVs are suggested whether you use it for 10k km annually or 50k km annually, is for the drive feel and fatigue less travels
- In India, people do not get proper advice about EVs and that is why there is common fear about mass adoption of EVs
- Just test drive an EV immediately after an ICE vehicle AND you will feel the difference

" Switch To An EV ASAP"

Last edited by Sheel : 17th July 2024 at 22:18. Reason: Whatever you have to share, please do so on the forum. Thanks.
Humane India is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 14:01   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I recommend you test drive both cars - a couple of time- then and only then take a call. Especially check out the rear seat experience since you expect to have family with you quite often.

Any EV will have a silly smooth driving experience that can't be matched by a diesel. Also if you are travels are to/ from a principal city in India, range anxiety is easily addressed with some planning. Availability of fast chargers is also getting better by the day.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 15:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Assuming that your budget is somewhere close to 30L, I would suggest the Hycross VX(O), and I also read that there is tax waiver for Hybrids in UP, so big plus

If not, I'd still say the XUV7OO over the Hector CVT, reasons being

1. Terrible FE on the Hector
2. Reliability issues
3. How is the ASS in your city for MG?

Do check out the Hycross as well, take a TD and let us know your observations..
nova.19_exe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 20:42   #13
BHPian

Given the number of ICE vehicles in your garage, going for an EV is a no brainer to be honest. Assuming you have option to charge at home.

The driving experience and refinement is no match to an EV. Don't have to worry about day to day fuel prices, no worrying about service center screw ups etc.

Outside of the cost, the peace of mind associated is something to be experienced. Something as simple as running air-conditioning for 30 mins to keep the car cool while on an errand and knowing that it will hardly cost Rs 5 is unmatched.

The Atto 3 with it's LFP blade batteries is the cutting edge of EVs today. Only thing missing is 800V architecture which isn't very useful in the Indian context. From an EV tech point of view, I don't see anything revolutionary coming out anytime soon.

Only thing to keep in mind is that if you are someone who keeps switching cars every 4-5 years you may face the short end of the stick with respect to depreciation. So if you plan to hold the car for 8+ years, you don't have to worry about all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova.19_exe View Post

EVs right now, won't be able to munch miles as easily as Diesels. Period. No matter how much the Range counter shows, Range Anxiety is REAL!

Not true in all contexts. 90% of my driving is on highways and my usage has jumped 2x to 3x of the ICE vehicles I have owned. This is the case with most EV owners where due to the convenience and extremely low running costs, usage climbs significantly.

This is more so in the case of fixed highway routes where learning about charging infra is a one time exercise. In OP's case, the highway distance is trivial.

Last edited by shyampsunder : 14th July 2024 at 20:48. Reason: Typo
shyampsunder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 21:38   #14
BHPian

I may seem a bit biased. May be mentally I'm not ready for an EV yet. I'll try to be logical at best.
If you choose BYD:
-You are 200kms from the nearest service center
-Availablity of charging infrastructure. Will you use the car for short local trips only? You will need meticulous planning for every long trip.
- I read the suspensions are a bit stiff. Take a test drive.
- Are you looking for a 7 seater? If yes, this is not for you.
- After spending 27L on 4 wheels for a 10k annual run, you want to really count on fuel cost savingt? The math don't add up. There are better 5 seaters for a few lakhs less, that will cover the cost of fuel.
-Resale value after 6 years may be negligible.

Is you choose XUV700:
- You need for a 7 seater. And this i feel is best value for money.
- You have a service center next door.
- Loaded with features.
- Good resale value

If you are looking for a 5 seater, there are lots of choices in. your budget, just walk into every brand showroom and take a test drive. Strong Hybrid may be.

Hope i could narrow down the choice
Buying a car is not easy

Last edited by HillMan : 14th July 2024 at 21:50.
HillMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 22:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
My driving has 10k annual run with may be 1 to 2 long drives a year with max 300 km one side. Only in these trips the entire family of 2 kids (aged 3 and 9) and 4 adults go. Rest normally we don’t get to travel too many times together.

I was thinking of 7 seater keeping in mind with size of family when traveling.

Thank you.
Practical points to ponder,
  • ~ 90% of the use case is daily drive and only 10% of the times you plan to travel for long drives with family.
  • ATTO 3 will be significantly cheaper to drive in above scenario, assuming home charging. You can use the saved money to buy an upper segment car, may be while replacing Jazz.
  • XUV700 is a very comfortable car for front row and middle row but not so comfortable in last seat, even for kids. Consider Hycross if you have to buy a 7 seater.
Strictly between these 2, since you have several reliable cars @ home, my recommendation will be Atto 3, you can experience cutting edge battery technology, also its an internationally successful model and very strongly built car. Test drive it for at least 25 kms and see for yourself if you like those interiors and experience. Only negative points about BYD is lack of sufficient service support @ nearby location and the Chinese origin.

PS: We own a XUV700.

Last edited by sapien : 14th July 2024 at 22:29.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks