Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy the Jeep Wranger Rubicon in India?
Yes 65 24.81%
No (Which car would you buy instead?) 197 75.19%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2024, 17:06   #31

Re: Would you buy the Jeep Wrangler for 68-72 lakhs in India?

Voted no! It would have only made sense at this price if they were offering Rubicon 392. Otherwise I don't see much incentive in it once compared to the likes of Hilux and Jimny which are similar international icons and at much more rational price. I would rather have a multi car garage like a Jimny (already own), Hilux (already own) and a pocket rocket like a i20N or a project polo to satisfy all my needs and still having the excitement of owning legendary brands respected across the world. Give me the current Jeep at 40 lacs though and I would be the first one to grab one. PS. didn't got for Fortuner for the same reason as it doesn't make sense at that price and hence the Hilux with the discount is a sweet sweet deal.

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th June 2024 at 17:28.
RC@5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 19:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord09 View Post

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

• A 1-star Euro-NCAP safety rating is a dealbreaker for most buyers
Did I read this correctly ? 1 star safety rating for a 70L car? Many members here call 4L Marutis with a 1 star safety rating as "tin cans" and "death traps" but we are ok with a "foreign imported luxury vehicle" that costs 16x as much with the same level of safety?
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 19:27   #33
BHPian

Much as I like this car, based on my use case, I need reliability to be top notch. Anything with the Jeep name plate falls far short of it. And This is comparing it to my decade old, 1.5L KM run, pre Owned remapped Pajero Sport. Just cannot imagine being stress free on a Jeep
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 21:27   #34
BHPian

For 70 odd lakhs, buy two different SUVs, XUV 700/Safari/Harrier for highway drives and a Thar (modified)/Gurkha for off-roading. Might work out cheaper.

regards kaps454
Old 13th June 2024, 23:08   #35
BHPian

To be honest, for the price point of a Wrangler, I'd prefer getting the Thar P HT and a used Endeavor 2.2 AT. The Rubicon is great if you want to be the "cool dude" but strictly in terms of utility and price, its an overkill. Unless you're into really hardcore and technical off-roading, buying the car would not be a wise decision. Of course, that's my view. Other BHPians can differ.
mugen_pinaki27 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 00:43   #36
BHPian

Came close to getting the 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon as we were in the market for an 4x4/AWD. Though we don’t off road yet, would love to learn off roading. My father’s photography hobby made it even more interesting for us as most of the places he goes to doesn’t have roads so he has to park far away and go.

Though I know a modern SUV would have suited our needs better. It’s been a dream for us to own either a Defender, Land Cruiser, Wrangler or G Wagon. Will own one soon!

However, the car was vetoed by my mom and sister for obvious reasons.
Would you buy the Jeep Wrangler for 68-72 lakhs in India?-pxl_20210624_105256103.mp_original.jpeg
Philomath55 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 04:00   #37
BHPian

It's a fantastic car but at those prices for a 2.0? No thank you. If they offered it with the VM Motori 3.0 Turbo Diesel V6 maybe.

It's 80.5L for the base Unlimited model and a whopping 85.2L for the Rubicon (on road Mumbai).

For that 85L I'd rather spend 25-30L on buying and building a 80 series Diesel or 100 series V8 Land Cruiser and put the remaining 55-60L towards something like BMW 330i.
Old 14th June 2024, 04:06   #38
BHPian

Voted no.

1. Would I take my 70 lakh car on off road expeditions? Hell NO !!!
2. Do I offroad regularly ? Usually NEVER.

Above 2 answers apply to 99.99% aam junta. If answer to 2 is yes then one would rather purpose build a jeep. I don't see any scenarios when answer to 1 is YES.
For all other average Joes, any regular AWD would serve fine for village road/jungle trail/occasional muddy puddle conquering. So capabilities of Wrangler will never be put to test by 99.99% aam junta. That leaves us question whether highway manners of Wrangler are good enough to shell out 70 lakhs? Hell NO. Plenty of options available.
Only selling point remains is big burly SUV again for which there are better options for same or lesser price point.

So for 99.99% of buyers, Wrangler will never make sense.
Heart_Revs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 05:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Would prefer the 4-door Thar instead. Apart from the similar generic looks, one of the things the Rubicon has (at least as per the last time I looked) is the crawl ratio (84:1), which is twice that of the Thar 2-door. So as mentioned elsewhere here, for pure off-roading, the Rubicon is well ahead. I have the 2-door Thar (LX, petrol) and it is quite capable for it price. The only drawback is the missing luggage space.

So, yes, if its within striking range financially, I'd opt for the 4-door Thar after it is launched.
Old 14th June 2024, 07:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Voted no, for the obvious honest reason that it is way out of my reach budget wise! Even if I am able to afford it in future, I probably wouldn’t buy it, because my priorities are different. I would probably get the Jimny, just for the heck of it!
Old 14th June 2024, 07:36   #41
BHPian

It's a fantastic car. I would buy it if rear seats were more comfrotable. We do lots of very long drives, often with other people in the back seat. They should feel absolutely comfortable. The alternative would be the more expensive Grand Cherokee.
Old 14th June 2024, 08:22   #42
BHPian

No.
At that price,with that petrol engine,with that safety rating,and with all the trouble owning a Jeep would give me,a big resounding NO.
I would instead add a fast sedan like the Virtus to my garage along with an ev like the Nexon and have all things sorted.The Thar is already there.
I would still have 25 lakhs in hand.
Cheers
Old 14th June 2024, 09:51   #43
BHPian

Would you buy the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in India?
Voted Nope

Why?
  • It costs 90Lakhs OTR for me. I can get a sweet patch of real estate, gold, or other appreciating assets for that kinda cash. Anything beyond the 50 Lakh mark for a car in India is like wiping the rear with gold leaf sheets - worthless!
  • For a whopping 72% less, the Thar and Gurkha have matching presence and performance fit for Indian roads. And far far less ownership expenses over time too.
  • People confuse the Jeep Wrangler for the Thar. Heck, people even confuse the Wagon R for a mini-SUV. So much for show and image aspects. I will have to look myself in the mirror and keep affirming to myself, " Yes, people see me driving a 90L American Jeep and not a modified Thar. Yes, people see me driving ..."
  • I can buy 6 Jimnys, or 4 Thars, or 4 Gurkhas, approximately with mods, and drive them to their fullest potential (till nothing is left in them ), including off-road bashing fun, for the same price, and be a happier person with more stories to tell.

"So you flew through the air in this Jimny?"
    "No, that was the one before."
    "You mean the one you waded across the river in?"
    "No, that was the one before that."
    "You mean the one you rolled down the hill in, and then drove 100 Kms home?"
    "No, that was before that."
    "Gosh! How many do you have man?"
    "Hee hee. Come, let me tell you all about it..."

Does this mean, I don't like the Rubicon for the Jeep it is?
No way! I love that Jeep!

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th June 2024 at 10:56. Reason: 2 smileys allowed.
Miel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 11:00   #44
BHPian

Voted yes. I think the Wrangler is truly, the last word on off-roading. Nothing comes close to it in terms of pure mechanical off-road ability. This is a fantastic machine. The troubles stated by other members with this car are a side effect of the concept of the 'jeep' type of vehicle.

That being said, I would love to see a diesel under the bonnet. This kind of vehicle deserves a mighty diesel to lug it around the country. The petrol, while adequate feels a little tinkerbell-y and doesn't speak to the character of this car. Regarding MT tires, I think there's a cheaper Unlimited trim that comes with AT tires, so it shouldn't be that big a problem. The beefier off-road tires comes with the Rubicon variant. These can of course, be swapped.

Lastly, the price seems to be driving people to vote no. It is a bit steep for what it offers. But, this vehicle was meant to be a niche product with unidimensional capabilities (being the best on all terrains). Those who want to buy something this size to drive on road to the shops, or to do casual Sunday excursions are better off with something like the Meridian or Grand Cherokee.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 20:16   #45
BHPian

No thank you , is what I would say. The Wrangler may have a history and heritage of World War ii jeeeps attached with it, but that's about it. Majority of the people who will buy the Wrangler, atleast in India, will do offroading on the parking ramps of shopping malls. Also when we bash Maruti for selling unsafe cars , why is the hate not extended to the Wrangler , which scored only 2 stars, and failed miserably in the small overlap test of the IIHS ?
A few years ago, in a review of the Wrangler in a magazine, I remember a line which says "one can't expect much safety from a car whose doors, and even the roof can be removed". When the Mahindra Thar launched in India, it showed that one can achieve a 5 star NCAP rating, even with removable doors and roofs. If I ever am in the need of a off roader, with the practicality of a family SUV, I will buy the Thar Armada ,which offers same off roading capabilities, same water wading capabilities, at 25%of the price of a Wrangler . And I will be able to sleep peacefully in the night, knowing that my car won't cost my hand and foot in case of repairing damages which may occur during offroading. A Jeep Wrangler will be a Jeep Wrangler, but at that price there are several more options, which includes excellent cars from luxury car makers .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks