Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2024, 20:54   #1

Is the Jimny a good choice to learn offroading?

I am looking for a car on which I can learn and take it off-road as well in future as I gain confidence.

I've looked at plenty of options but the Jimny slightly stands out for me due to following
  • Small and compact (probably easier to learn and drive on narrow roads, city traffic)
  • Maruti Suzuki service network
  • Decent comfort in city and highways despite being a 4x4
  • Extremely capable off-roader

I am not an absolute newbie. I have driven our family car - Nexon(automatic) occasionally for smaller distances and I've had my driving classes. I definitely need more practice.

Normally I'm advised to not take a new car if I plan on learning with it. But I am confident that I will take it off-road as I've done a fair bit of it on my motorcycle and I love it.

My usage will be primarily the city, quarterly high way runs of around 1000kms. Since we already have a Nexon, I am okay with not having another car that offers comfort and agility. I live alone and will probably be driving this alone for the most part.

I've got a quote of 15.27 lacs in Pune for Alpha MT. As this will be my first car that I'd purchase with my own money, I'd like to have your opinion on following:
  1. Is it worth it at 15.27 (insurance, extended warranty included) or I must wait some more expecting the prices to be dropped further as the sales are declining ?
  2. Would Jimny be a good choice in the long run for me ?
  3. Should I really choose to not go for a new car and try getting a second hand Thar at comparable/lesser cost?
nh1922 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 22:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Is the Jimny a good choice to learn offroading?

The problem with off-road driving is that it requires you to master on-road driving first. The understanding required about the car is much more than a road requirement.

That said, yes, the Jimny would be a great starter for you, for the exact reasons you've mentioned.

The only suggestion I would give is to first master on-road driving, then venture off-road for your own safety.

Quote:
Is it worth it at 15.27 (insurance, extended warranty included) or I must wait some more expecting the prices to be dropped further as the sales are declining ?
I think yes.
Quote:
Would Jimny be a good choice in the long run for me ?
Again, yes.
Quote:
Should I really choose to not go for a new car and try getting a second hand Thar at comparable/lesser cost?
Second hand thar will cost you similar and more on maintaining it. So, better get a new Jimny.

Last edited by dhanushs : 21st February 2024 at 22:02.
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 04:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

From your location and post you seem to be in Goa.

I like what Dhanush said- indeed you have to learn to drive properly on the roads, before venturing off the road.

Something like learning to walk before attempting to run.

If I were you, to save time, money and heartache, I would simply take time to attain a level of driving expertise and earn some valuable daily real life experience on the narrow roads of Goa, first using the family car itself.

After a few months of this, I would rent one of the many Jeepy things available locally there and go with a few experienced/ trusted friends for small trail drives and off road jaunts.

I would then assess whether I like this activity or not. Only then would I buy a vehicle which is aimed specifically at this activity.

Remember also, that off roading comes with its set of headaches like water and mud and sand ingress into the brakes and wheel wells and differential gearbox and all that, apart from entering all the crevices in the vehicle.

Remember therefore, the responsibilities that you owe to your car after off-roading - the thorough cleaning with a high pressure wash, stripping and cleaning of the brake drums and all of those components which are hidden in plain sight. Then, the draining and changing of oils and fluids. The thorough post activity inspections. Etc.

Its a serious sport and like any serious activity, it requires time to be invested in preparation and maintenance. There are no shortcuts.

Learning the nuances and skills of driving and post activity maintenance, is much better achieved through patient application and practice.

Coming to the Jimny, indeed it can be a neat little modern, well accomplished, well equipped, highly capable all rounder as your first car.

For many of us growing up in the 1980’s, the Jimny’s Grandpa, the Gypsy, along with the Mahindra MM540, was our first introduction to the world beyond our road defined boundaries. The Jimny can perform that role for you for sure. And it will do 100% of the required job, beautifully. It is a superb vehicle.

I would just suggest that you take a few prudent baby steps before jumping into it. It is just a matter of a few months of patience, practice and experience that you are investing in along with the 15.3 lacs to get the appropriate tools and equipment (in this case, the Jimny).

Wishing you all the best and do enjoy the journey.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd February 2024 at 04:27.
shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 06:59   #4
BHPian

Off roading is a very costly hobby. I have the same opinion to the overlanding.

Coming to India , we are very fortunate after we have the golden quadrilateral connecting the top 4 metro cities. Indians started experiencing the world class roads infrastructure for the first time. Prior to this era, it is almost off roading to go anywhere to anywhere in India. I am sorry to tell the raw truth even though my father was Chief Engineer of Roads in Government.

My native place is Visakhapatnam and I stay in Bangalore. I frequently travel between these cities ( 1K kms ) very often in various vehicles like Scorpio RWD, Crysta RWD and Jimny Allgrip. Some parts of the highway is still in construction like near Naidupeta to Tirupati. One can get off road experience of around 50 kms free. I believe it is same across India.

Abroad, the road infrastructure was ahead of India by many decades as they have invested huge money on roads to ride over the depression era in world war days so that people would get employment constructing roads. One needs to exclusively join an elite group to figure out the bad roads / no roads for off roading.

I personally enjoy Jimny the most and look forward to the bad roads / no roads. I look forward and take a detour to find them (In fact there is no road to the farm house we visit at 4 K feet above sea level very near to Visakhapatnam). We have plenty of such opportunities in rural roads of India.

Coming back to the agenda of this thread, Jimny is one nimble vehicle to try for beginners due to the compact dimensions but be aware that Jimny has more turning radius than a fortuner.

Last edited by Mystic : 22nd February 2024 at 07:13.
Mystic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 07:38   #5
BHPian

Re: Is Jimny a good choice for learning and then further getting into off-roading ?

Please do not waste your hard earned money, for learning to drive especially in Goa, narrow roads, winding hill road and sand trails, get yourself a Spresso, and after a year or so upgrade, if needed as your Nexon is good enough.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 10:10   #6
One
BHPian

Re: Is the Jimny a good choice to learn offroading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Remember also, that off roading comes with its set of headaches like water and mud and sand ingress into the brakes and wheel wells and differential gearbox and all that, apart from entering all the crevices in the vehicle.

Remember therefore, the responsibilities that you owe to your car after off-roading - the thorough cleaning with a high pressure wash, stripping and cleaning of the brake drums and all of those components which are hidden in plain sight. Then, the draining and changing of oils and fluids. The thorough post activity inspections. Etc.

Its a serious sport and like any serious activity, it requires time to be invested in preparation and maintenance. There are no shortcuts.
Very underrated comment and excellent advice. Simple things like deflating tyres during offroad can increase ingress areas for muck and what not.

Simple to do, but not easy and time consuming.
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 13:53   #7
BHPian

Once a wise man advised me not to utilize my primary vehicle as an off-road hobby vehicle. An off-road vehicle dances too much and begins squeaking earlier than planned, reducing the enjoyment of highway driving.

So, the question is how much off-roading do you want to undertake?

A - Once a year, for some events, or once a month, when looking for weekend sites.
B - Extreme off-roading, participating in practically every event.
C - My everyday journey includes slush, sand, ice, snow, and tight roadways.

If your answer is A, then go for training at Mahindra Adventure or https://www.learnoffroad.com/, they do provide their vehicle too. Once you've learnt, you may periodically rent a Thar and have fun with it. You're from Goa, therefore there's no shortage of rental Thars.

If your answer is B, then buy a used 1st gen Thar / Jeep or used Gypsy (5-6 lakhs), and modify it according to your taste and need.

If your answer is C, then buy Jimny, you will love it.

Play your cards correctly, you may obtain the Alpha AT for 15 lakhs (2023 model), but that's not the end of the tale; you'll need to pay another 50K to get it off-road ready.

Should you wish to see Jimny in action, MSIL is organizing finale in Goa from 21st March.
Attached Thumbnails
Is the Jimny a good choice to learn offroading?-jimnyroacknroad.png  

dicor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I just spent some time with a brand new Jimny rental in Goa - it's definitely a fun car but not comfortable, or easy to maneuver around. I loved the seating position, the car and driving characteristics felt special. The compact size was a boon driving in the narrower lanes, but the steering isn't chuckable and you need to move it a fair bit to get the car to respond and turning radius too was a spoil sport. The ride too isn't the best and though I was enjoying my drive - it definitely is not something I enjoyed driving bobbing around the highways or being tossed around on some bad stretches of road.

Once the initial joy wears off, you will appreciate and find other cars that much easier to live with in the same price bracket - the Kushaq 1.0TSi for example is that much more safer, quicker, comfortable, better to drive, practical, etc. so you may want to consider that if this will be your only car (if the Nexon is there with you in Goa then it is a no brainer to get the Jimny) & that Goa has quite a few off road events / AWD rentals like Jimny, Thar, Hilux, Fortuner, etc. available for when you want to have some fun (do check the terms and conditions though of the rental).

Last edited by lamborghini : 22nd February 2024 at 14:03.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Trust you have mastered on road driving. A better option is to go for an used Gypsy (these days they fetch higher than earlier resale values), an used Mahindra 540DP 4x4 or an used Thar. The 4x4 MUV needs to be in a very good hassle free condition so as to not cause worries.

You can save capital and also vouch that you have got a good MUV with the "Learners" badge.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I the Kushaq 1.0TSi for example is that much more safer,.
Can you please help us better understand this specific piece on the Kushaq vs Jimny?
Thanks!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:06   #11
BHPian

If you can extend your budget by some lacs then Grand Vitara AWD can be a very good option because
=> Its AWD so offroading can be done (considering you won't be doing it hardcore)
=>Good space and luxury (Big advantage over jimny)
=>If you get its Toyota twin then you can get more better service quality

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd February 2024 at 14:08. Reason: Minor spacing correction
TheManualGear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Can you please help us better understand this specific piece on the Kushaq vs Jimny?
Thanks!
The 5 star NCAP rating of the Kushaq with it's better stability on local Goa highways, better brakes, responsive steering, etc. v/s the bouncier Jimny backed by Maruti which may or may not be known for safety as it's strong point.

The steering too wasn't as chuckable, so a couple of times where I could have safely dodged a car abruptly stopping to turn into a Goan by lane (on Google maps recommendation probably - turn right ) saw me having to brake that much harder because the steering needed that much more input than just the normal slight turn to the left that we're used to and wouldn't be quick enough to safely do it - which would have been fine in the city but not on the 2 lane undivided portion of the highway with a car following me which also had to brake hard; or on a narrow lane where a car / bike comes speeding out of a blind corner requiring you to swerve that much more.

Maybe I got a bad example but a 4K run, 2 month old, rattle free, scratchless Jimny doesn't seem like an abused example - and I've rented cars many times in Goa : 20+ times since 2020 - from the i10 to the Carens and this is normal behaviour.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Anjan's suggestion of a used Gypsy isn't bad also - maybe get 2 cars for the same price: a capable daily run around, and a fun weekend machine. Goa also has a lot of enthusiastic owners so you may find a nicely maintained example.

Last edited by lamborghini : 22nd February 2024 at 14:17.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 15:07   #13

I was in your shoes 6 months back, and have been the 1st 100 customers of Jimny Alpha MT (price without discount)

Infact, I visited the Auto Expo, saw the Jimny, and immediately booked it here in Mumbai.

Got delivery in September 2023, had a trip to Himalayas in October end / November 1st 2 weeks.

Mumbai-Manali-Darcha-ShinkuLa-Padum-PensiLa-Padum
Padum-Zangla-Naerak-Khalsi-Leh
Leh-Upshi-Mahe-Nyoma-Loma-Hanle
Hanle-PhotiLa-UmlingLa-NurbuLa-Hanle
Hanle-Mahe-TsoKar-Debring-Pang-Keylong-Manali-Mumbai

Near Mumbai, I have been to Tungareshwar / Rajmachi.

With this experience, my observations are as below :-

-Sweet Small from outside 4WD, with good interior space for 4, practical with 4 doors and very good ride quality.
-Gearing is excellent, in 40kmph, you can easily be in 5th gear. The ascends from Manali to Atal Tunnel were done mostly in 3rg gear. I was surprised, the torque delivery was like a diesel mill, with torque lower down the rpm range.
-Reliability, and easy to maintain.
-Mileage. Mumbai-Chandigarh was 19.9kmpl, Mountains were 15-16 kmpl. Overall, for 5900kms, the mileage was 17.4 kmpl.
-Being November, I could see the Diesel vehicles kept on for 30-60 min, starting problems, not for me. Cold climate does not effect the petrol vehicles.
-Return journey, I stretched its legs and took it to 120 kmph over a good distance, and it was able to keep pace with a Kia Carens. No vibration or stress on engine felt at those speeds.
-Price I know was high, but then there are really few alternative to this.

I paid 17.05 Lacs on-road (Company registration, in Mumbai).
Am I happy - a big YES.

Should you go for that ? If you need an all to do Vehicle, with space for 4, road presense and features not upto the mark of its price, but if you use it sometimes for which its built for, it would compensate the premium/loss of features. And its upto you to decide that.
Uncia6276 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 15:35   #14
BHPian

Would recommend attending an off-road training program first. It will give you an idea of what you are getting into and also the basics of off-roading.
Regarding the Jimny, it is a great car but like many have said, it's not without its shortcomings. It is a lot of fun and bad roads will be your best friend. The rear does bounce a bit when you go over sharp stuff though. Whatever issues that are mentioned about the steering go out the window when you take it offroad(except maybe the turning radius). It will also be perfect for Goa's narrow roads.
arjunsatheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 15:37   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently drove the Jimny and just loved it. Given the kind of city and town traffic we have today, and this being your one do-it-all car, I would highly recommend you to consider the Automatic transmission variants. That would be the brilliant combination of automatic with 4x4 go anywhere capabilities

My personal view - don’t get carried away by the “enthusiasts only drive manual transmissions” tagline. I couldn’t have been happier than I am now after buying a Harrier in its Automatic avatar last year!

I would also recommend you test drive the Jimny and the Thar to see how they fare and help you compare/contrast what you like/dislike.

In my opinion, Thar has the raw
power, but when it comes to driving comfort and refinement (petrol engine helps), Jimny is way ahead. But, to each his own!

Last edited by NPV : 22nd February 2024 at 16:01.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks