Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2024, 17:36   #1

Unhappy with my MG Astor's performance, fuel efficiency & bugs | Should I sell it & buy a Seltos?

Dear BHP-ians!

Happy new year to all of you and hope you are well!

I am planning to replace my 1.2 years old MG Astor (1.3L Turbo AT) with a car in similar segment that has peppier engine and have zeroed down to 2 choices -
1. VW Taigun GT Plus Edge Matte Edition 1.5L TSI DSG
2. Kia Seltos X-Line 1.5L T-GDI DCT

I already own a VW Tiguan (Dec 2022) 4-motion and it has never ever given me any problem till date The shifts with DQ 250 DSG gearbox in Tiguan are smoothest and most seamless I have ever experienced and the ride/drive stability is out of this world. I love VW and hence, am guessing the Taigun would be similar. I use my Tiguan mostly for weekend drives and when there are management visits at my workplace.

The Astor is used primarily for city and around. My reason for replacement -
1. Engine is a Turbo, but the initial lag is too prominent when you hit the pedal. Takes time compared to other turbos to pick up speed. This causes issues in overtaking and doesn't give me confidence
2. The mileage I am getting is 5-6 kmpl, worse than my Tiguan which gives me 9-10 kmpl in city. I use Shell V power petrol in all cars I use, hence, expect them to be in perfect condition internally
3. Too many gimmicky features that don't work at times - the most notorious being the robot on the dash, very irritating. Sometimes, doesn't follow voice commands properly (Such as 'Hello Astor, increase fan speed' and sometimes it follows, other times it keeps saying 'Sorry'... very flawed implementation by MG). The Infotainment screen is slow 99% of the time and last week when I started booting my car from stop, it wouldn't start even when electronic components started and I could hear the initial cranking of engine.

All in all, it feels like a car that won't last and I wish to get rid of it for a better, more reliable one in the same segment.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Regards

Last edited by Sheel : 14th January 2024 at 11:11. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post. Thanks.
kmrjt1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 12:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unhappy with my MG Astor's performance, fuel efficiency & bugs | Should I sell it & buy a Seltos

What you need is an EV. Take a test drive of the Nexon EV LR. It is punchier than even your Tiguan in urban conditions, and costs next to nothing to run. It’s cabin is plusher than the Taigun, feature set is more extensive and ride and handling are also as good in city driving. Also, Tata’s new infotainment screen and cameras are by far the best in the 20L rupee price range.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 08:53   #3
BHPian

Re: Unhappy with my MG Astor's performance, fuel efficiency & bugs | Should I sell it & buy a Seltos

Hey man, I was in the same boat for a couple of days, check my thread here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...r-yay-nay.html (Replace my MG Astor: Yay or Nay?)

BHPians suggested me not to replace my car as I would face a heavy depreciation hit. Also, I am having fun in a 1.5L NA CVT, so why not you in your 1.3L Turbo AT? I'd recommend you some changes:

1) Start flooring the car. It will give you immense fun and will increase your confidence.

2) Clean your car more often. When you have an intimate connection with your car, you will never feel like selling it. Worked for me!

3) Test drive a Seltos. Understand the car. Then drive the Astor aggressively. You will find both the cars almost the same, with Astor lagging just a few secs away.

Don't sell the Astor man, it's such a great car! You should try changing your driving style to be a bit more aggressive, and get much more out of your steed!

Good Luck
mgastor2022grey is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 09:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The car is just 1.2 years old, and should be under warranty. Have you tried to get it checked and repaired at MG ?

You mentioned turbo lag.
1. Compare with another Astor
2. Ask for replacement of the turbocharger.

Give it a shot.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 10:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

For point 1, you can check if this engine has a remap from one of the tuners. You can get it tuned as per your requirements, if the tuner has that option.
Point 2, the fuel efficiency may increase a bit with a remap, but it also depends on your driving habit.

The reason to go for a remap is because you feel the engine is not powerful enough more so because you are comparing it with a more powerful car and with a remap you can get the Astor somewhere close to it, with no hardware changes.

Last edited by tharian : 14th January 2024 at 10:59.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 14:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
What you need is an EV. Take a test drive of the Nexon EV LR. It is punchier than even your Tiguan in urban conditions, and costs next to nothing to run. It’s cabin is plusher than the Taigun, feature set is more extensive and ride and handling are also as good in city driving. Also, Tata’s new infotainment screen and cameras are by far the best in the 20L rupee price range.
Thank you I am contemplating the new Harrier Fearless Plus AT; sold by its looks, build, size and performance. However, not sure if I should buy a diesel car in 2024 :( But the Harrier is simply wow! for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
For point 1, you can check if this engine has a remap from one of the tuners. You can get it tuned as per your requirements, if the tuner has that option.
Point 2, the fuel efficiency may increase a bit with a remap, but it also depends on your driving habit.

The reason to go for a remap is because you feel the engine is not powerful enough more so because you are comparing it with a more powerful car and with a remap you can get the Astor somewhere close to it, with no hardware changes.
Didn't know remap is possible! Will check with MG ASC. I maintain my car well, feed with premium fuel, clean it with Turtle Wax products. It breaks my heart to see Astor's performance :( Car is good, interior is awesome and blah blah... but the power and performance is a bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The car is just 1.2 years old, and should be under warranty. Have you tried to get it checked and repaired at MG ?

You mentioned turbo lag.
1. Compare with another Astor
2. Ask for replacement of the turbocharger.

Give it a shot.
Yes, it has 3 years + 2 years additional warranty which I purchased unfortunately. It does accelerate when floored, but not as good as some of its turbocharged peers. I have compared it with other Astors too, and this is an issue apparently that the lag lasts 2-3 seconds. I am told Turbo kicks in only after 40 kmph speed!!
Makes my heart sink, given I use only Shell V Power petrol for my cars.
My wife's VW Taigun 1.5L TSI GT+ DSG feels like a bullet fired out of a gun in comparison when floored.

I am thinking of the Tata Harrier Fearless Plus AT as I test drove it and it gave me such a powerful vibe But the only bummer for me is a diesel car.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st February 2024 at 07:12. Reason: Extra smileys removed
kmrjt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 16:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrjt1 View Post
Thank you I am contemplating the new Harrier Fearless Plus AT; sold by its looks, build, size and performance. However, not sure if I should buy a diesel car in 2024 :( But the Harrier is simply wow! for me
All that glitters is not gold! Just read through the gremlins of the electronics Tata has put in the Harrier.

IMO, Astor is a fine car and definitely not worth selling so early. I recently got GT Line DCT Seltos. If you need the car for only city use, the DCT Turbo petrol combo is an overkill. Get the IVT version if you would be going only for city use, and this way the depreciation hit would be much lower.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 16:58   #8
BHPian

Sorry for your ordeal. But, my two cents:

I feel apart from the financial loss, there's nothing wrong with selling your 1.2 year old car. If it floats your boat, go for it. If you're not happy with the car now, there's only little chance that you will after investing more into it.

But coming to your upgrade options,

Have you test driven the seltos turbo petrol? I own a 1.4 Prefacelift and honestly the turbo lag is still very intrusive for my liking. Moreover, try accelerating it up a slope and you'll see just how far in you have to accelerate to get it moving. It's not very convincing of quality and gearbox calibration. I'm not sure you'll get to feel an upgrade from the Astor (after reading what you're experiencing). I took a Slavia 1.0 over the same slope and it was x100 times better.

My honest recommendation would be the Kushaq 1.5. I spoke to a few Skoda dealers and they still do have a few 2023 cars which are only selling with the yearly price increase and are dodging the overall 2024 price hike. It's almost flawless to drive. There is no scope for lacking eagerness and the car prowls forward. Personally to me it looks better than the Taigun and just for the sake of variety in your garage (with the Tiguan), I think this fits your bill perfectly.
Arnav612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 18:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

If no turbo lag and fuel efficiency are important, try an Elevate.
Old 16th January 2024, 19:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't know remap is possible! Will check with MG ASC. I maintain my car well, feed with premium fuel, clean it with Turtle Wax products. It breaks my heart to see Astor's performance :( Car is good, interior is awesome and blah blah... but the power and performance is a bummer
Remap is not possible with an ASC. You need to find a tuner who has worked on this car since it's not that common.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 11:40   #11

Mod note: Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Remap is not possible with an ASC. You need to find a tuner who has worked on this car since it's not that common.
In which case I'll stay away from remapping; I never do anything outside of ASC But thanks for the advice, it was a learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
All that glitters is not gold! Just read through the gremlins of the electronics Tata has put in the Harrier. This can be a starter for reference

IMO, Astor is a fine car and definitely not worth selling so early. I recently got GT Line DCT Seltos. If you need the car for only city use, the DCT Turbo petrol combo is an overkill. Get the IVT version if you would be going only for city use, and this way the depreciation hit would be much lower.
Astor is a good car, but just that I need more pickup. The Turbo 1.3L AT is peppy for day-to-day use, but not enough to my palate I feel. Else, the car isn't bad by any means. I don't prefer CVT/IVT, just cannot live with the rubberband effect. Reason why I sold off my 5th gen Honda City in 2021. No acceleration, no punch.
New Seltos X line 1.5L DCT seems peppy, took a test drive yesterday. Did feel punchy when you try to floor the pedal. My only issue is whether they have improved on the overall structure of the car. The doors still don't feel as solid as MG Astor's.

I am not sure if this ICN video on the harrier is particularly intended to bring out flaws of the car, which could be an issue in 1 out of 100 cars. I know people in my circle who have purchased the new Safari and don't seem to face any issue or glitch with the car as of yet. Given Tata's solid frame/structure, features, powerful engine, this seems like what I could be looking for. But then the bummer is it's diesel, and not sure about the future of diesel cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If no turbo lag and fuel efficiency are important, try an Elevate.
Thanks for the advice. But cannot do CVTs unfortunately. Although theere is instant torque, there is certainly a lack of punch even in the Elevate.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st February 2024 at 07:13. Reason: Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 17th January 2024, 12:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I am not sure if this ICN video on the harrier is particularly intended to bring out flaws of the car, which could be an issue in 1 out of 100 cars. I know people in my circle who have purchased the new Safari and don't seem to face any issue or glitch with the car as of yet. Given Tata's solid frame/structure, features, powerful engine, this seems like what I could be looking for. But then the bummer is it's diesel, and not sure about the future of diesel cars.
ICN is not one off incidence. We have multiple examples on the new Nexon's and Harrier/Safari's facing many electrical issues. Do go through the threads on team bhp for more info.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 14:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
Sorry for your ordeal. But, my two cents:

I feel apart from the financial loss, there's nothing wrong with selling your 1.2 year old car. If it floats your boat, go for it. If you're not happy with the car now, there's only little chance that you will after investing more into it.

But coming to your upgrade options,

Have you test driven the seltos turbo petrol? I own a 1.4 Prefacelift and honestly the turbo lag is still very intrusive for my liking. Moreover, try accelerating it up a slope and you'll see just how far in you have to accelerate to get it moving. It's not very convincing of quality and gearbox calibration. I'm not sure you'll get to feel an upgrade from the Astor (after reading what you're experiencing). I took a Slavia 1.0 over the same slope and it was x100 times better.
Slavia is a good car, no doubt, but I personally don't prefer sedans anymore (although my first car was a Linea and I love it a lot ). The New Seltos 1.5L T-GDI DCT is a beast, floor the pedal and you are hitting highway speed limits in seconds - I had the privilege of testing it in an open road. Honestly, Kia/Hyundai siblings have one of the best performances in the segmenta dn there's no two-way about it.

Quote:
My honest recommendation would be the Kushaq 1.5. I spoke to a few Skoda dealers and they still do have a few 2023 cars which are only selling with the yearly price increase and are dodging the overall 2024 price hike. It's almost flawless to drive. There is no scope for lacking eagerness and the car prowls forward. Personally to me it looks better than the Taigun and just for the sake of variety in your garage (with the Tiguan), I think this fits your bill perfectly.
Kushaq is also a very good car. Just that I don't like the dealer in my city. It certainly looks a level better than Taigun, especially interiors. I have added it to my shortlist too. Thanks!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th January 2024 at 19:58. Reason: quote tags.
Old 17th January 2024, 16:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Kushaq is also a very good car. Just that I don't like the dealer in my city. It certainly looks a level better than Taigun, especially interiors. I have added it to my shortlist too. Thanks!
I have a Kushaq 1.5 and it's brilliant to drive, but you will not get more than 8-9kmpl in Pune city, given our traffic. You also have the DQ200 to worry about, so do keep both of these things in mind. When I have to use a car in heavy traffic, I use my Verna which is a TC AT.

I'm very surprised that you are even considering the Harrier. It's probably the worst choice of the lot for city use and your Tiguan will run rings around it on most departments. Do look beyond just the butch looks and consider a car that will complement your existing automobile.

I agree with Shreyans_Jain. An EV perfectly meets your need.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 17th January 2024 at 16:05.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 16:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to replace my 1.2 years old MG Astor (1.3L Turbo AT) with a car in similar segment that has peppier engine and have zeroed down to 2 choices -
1. VW Taigun GT Plus Edge Matte Edition 1.5L TSI DSG
2. Kia Seltos X-Line 1.5L T-GDI DCT
I echo your sentiments.

When I was looking for my new Car, MG Aster was in my shortlist. I took a test drive and found its fit n finish to. be fabulous. The reasons I dropped buying it was (1) not found it agile enough with NA MT - probably Turbo could have improved agility but that kind of engine was not my choice (2) low on mileage (3) that funny but nonsensical Robot on the dash as a companion on road trip -quite irritating.

My recommendation would be to pen down clearly on a piece of paper what exactly you are looking from your New car in two buckets (1) Must to have - non negotiables (2) Good to have - but you can compromise.
Ex..for me good ergonomics, all round visibility, alloy wheels, rear wiper, decent mileage, good service, 6 Airbags were must to have. So invest some time in preparing your RFQ and then start evaluating the products. If you opt for a high CC Turbo engine mates with any type of Automatic (CVT/DCT/AT), you will never get a mileage in two digits in traffic conditions if that is your prime requirement.

You have not mentioned your budget. But you can see some EV options. However you need to be contained with Servicing since only few select outlets are authorised to service electrics by most of the manufacturers.

i would suggest you take a look at Grand Vitara Or Toyota Hyryder full hybrid variants. You will get a fantastic mileage within City since wheels in these are powered by Electric motor most of the in the City except when the Battery SoC falls. On the Highway Battery-Motor will Torque assist the engine delivering performance with efficiency. New Creta was a let down on these advancements. Otherwise it could have been another good option.

I guess both the above models have a bit longer waiting period.. But you may not mind since you already own a car (don't sell it in haste till you have the confirmed delivery of the one one).

Best wishes !!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th January 2024 at 17:37. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
007maverick is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks