Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 20:50   #1

Is the Venue's Turbo motor a good choice over the NA engine?

Hi Guys,

I tried to search for my question on Team BHP threads but couldn’t find what I am looking for. If you find a related thread for my query, please feel free to merge the thread. Apologies for any inconvenience due to this!

I have recently booked Hyundai Venue S Optional Turbo MT. I did a lot of research, took test drive of various cars from different segments such as Seltos, Elevate, Brezza, I20, Altroz, Nexon, Sonet, Citroen C5 Aircross, Venue. This is my first car and I have recently learned driving, although have to brush up my driving skills once I have my own car. I want to go for MT only, not for automatic. After taking test drive of all the above cars, I found all the C SUVs a little big and didn’t feel confident to drive them. For hatchbacks, I felt confident but want to go for SUVish trend. In Sub Compact SUVs, I was left with Nexon, Sonet and Venue now. I did not go with Nexon because of poor reviews of Tata’s after sales service and all touch based panel of new Nexon Dashboard. Plus nexon is a bit wide and we have cramped parking space at our home, so had to skip. In Sonet, I felt cramped and all black interior was feeling suffocating to me and my mom. So the only choice we were left with was Venue. Brezza didn’t feel appealing to us because of its basic interiors.

First of all, I am not a driving enthusiast and most of my driving would be in city and sometimes on highways with family trips once in a while within distance of 300-400km max. I would prefer hiring a car if I am going to any mountain places with skilled driver.
Now in Venue, I was confused between engine whether to go for its NA engine which produces 81 BHP power or Turbo which produces 118 BHP. Initially I was fine with NA engine because that is enough for my requirement to go from point A to Point B as long as it is reliable. But with Turbo engine S Optional model, other features are also coming with a price difference of 60k only. And one important feature I am considering is Rear Wiper in Turbo along with Cruise Control. I think Rear Wiper is an important safety feature and since it’s given in Turbo variant, I went with Turbo engine.

I want to know what do you guys think about this decision? Should I go for turbo engine considering my needs and expectations from a car? How will absence of a rear wiper affect the overall safety while driving if I go ahead with NA? I don’t care much about Cruise Control. I felt vibrations also in Turbo while NA was very silent. The SO NA model comes with rear defogger though, not with rear wiper. I am not sure why I am so much fixated with rear wiper and how practically it is used in real world conditions. I intend to keep car for long term as long as it can be kept .

What will be the mileage difference between NA and turbo engine and maintenance cost plus life time of these 2 engines?

In a nutshell, my criteria to go for Turbo from NA was just Rear Wiper in turbo model at a price difference of 60k ex showroom. I am having second thoughts after booking the car about turbo engine now. Please suggest whether to change it to NA engine and compromise on rear wiper or keep the turbo model only. Thanks!
amit_hhh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 08:22   #2
BHPian

re: Is the Venue's Turbo motor a good choice over the NA engine?

If you consider the best combination of features, power, turbo petrol engine, reliability, and manual transmission along with a Compact SUV body style all under 12 lakhs OTR Gurugram, I have to agree that the Venue S(O) Turbo MT is the best option out there, None of the other cars offer such an interesting combination. Either they are not as powerful or lacking features or are expensive. So the Vennue S(O) Turbo MT seems to be the best pick for you. For around 60k to 70k more, you are getting a much more powerful and torquey engine, 6-speed transmission (over 5-speed), 16-inch tires, rear wiper, and cruise control which itself more than justifies the price differential.

When buying a car, I would always recommend going for the more powerful engine over the options available, in this case, it is almost a no-brainer considering the amount of feature additions you are getting. Moreover, getting a more powerful engine will help down the road when you become a more experienced driver as you don't have to plan your overtakes, the car will not feel out of breath on the highways or at triple-digit speeds, and so on.

The mileage difference isn't significant at hardly a 1 to 2 kmpl difference, that too only in the cities whereas on the highway, the Turbo is surprisingly more efficient (provided you adapt to the turbo petrol engine). Maintenance costs are similar and hardly worth worrying about.

So don't fret, you have made the right choice. Go ahead with it. If you need any further advice, feel free to ask.

Hope it Helps!
bijims is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 08:48   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Once you have your car, your driving skills will improve in a month Trust me.
And after that, you will love to take your car everywhere rather than a taxi plus you will find every opportunity to find the reasons to take your car for a spin. This is how we bhpians got into driving.

So keeping all this in mind, I will recommend you to Buy that hot 1.0 Turbo Petrol motor. It will be more engaging to drive. You can keep the car for a long time because you will not get bored of it easily but if you buy 1.2 NA it may happen that after 1 or 2 years, the itch of an upgrade may hit you hard.

So please go and buy 1.0 Turbo.
vattyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 09:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_hhh View Post
- I think Rear Wiper is an important safety feature
- I want to know what do you guys think about this decision?
- Should I go for turbo engine considering my needs and expectations from a car?
- How will absence of a rear wiper affect the overall safety while driving if I go ahead with NA?
- I felt vibrations also in Turbo while NA was very silent.
- What will be the mileage difference between NA and turbo engine and maintenance cost plus life time of these 2 engines?
- Agree

- Given your city based driving and even considering some highway drives(3-400kms twice a year) later on when you develop some confidence and feel like it, I would still suggest to stick with the NA engine.

- I would say no since turbo petrols are known to be very sensitive to driving styles and especially in city driving. Driving with a light foot will alleviate much of this but not all especially with a MT.
Second the power delivery of turbo petrols isn't linear. When the turbo kicks in, say at 2000rpm there will be a sudden surge in performance which can catch you off-guard initially and could become an annoyance later on, especially in city. Now I haven't driven Hyundai's turbo petrol and I have never driven a turbo petrol with MT so this is based on what I've read on the forum and my experience with turbo petrols with AT/DSG/AMT and turbo diesels with MT.

- Its important IMO but with the defogger the only time you would miss rear visibility is during rains. You can reduce it a bit using rain repellents like Rain-X etc. during rains but only to an extent. But to remove the rear overspray you'll have to get down and wipe off the dirt. Sedans don't have any wipers because they don't have to deal with the rear spray.
Can you do without it ? Depends, its very important for me since I am used to it but its not common to see people using theirs even if available.

- That's the difference between the 4 cylinder NA and 3 cylinder turbo petrol. Inherent vibrations in the 3 cylinder and the TGDi engines are known to vibrate more when cold.

- Depends a lot on your driving style(light/heavy foot) and traffic. Turbo petrols are known to give low FE numbers when driven with heavy foot as they dump fuel to cool down. NAs will give a predictable FE whether not varying a lot. In simple words you're driving a 1.0 NA until the turbo spools up and then you'll feel the surge in power which people buy the turbo for, which for you doesn't make a lot of sense ?
I am expecting some additional maintenance due to the turbo but since we haven't heard of any out of the blue issues or high costs so far, they should be doing ok. Owners can guide you better.
I don't think there should be any issue with the lifetime of any engine in 2023

Suggestions :
If I were you I would rather get the i20 top trim with the smooth 1.2 NA and MT/CVT.
But if the SUV design is you want to go for and you've decided on the Venue then I would suggest to stick with the NA.

In case you want to re-evaluate some wildcard suggestions and open to hatchbacks :
- Ignis : would seem a bit old now but with discounts should be optimal for your use case but might not be what you want.
- Glanza : Lovely interiors you might actually like them, much better than the Baleno

Last edited by shancz : 23rd December 2023 at 09:59. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 10:40   #5

Thank you @shancz, @bijims, @vattyboy for responding to my query and providing thé opinions.

The ex showroom cost of Venue SO Turbo MT is 10.4 lakhs and I am buying it from Gwalior where there is going to be 50% off on RTO in the month of January 2024. The normal RTO rate is 10% in MP for cars > 10 lakhs. The dealer has agreed to give the car on road at 11.4 lakhs including all discounts. This price includes insurance with RSA, engine protection, zero Dep, Return To Invoice, key protection etc, 2 years Extended warranty from Hyundai, SOT worth 5599 and accessories worth 10K. It also includes 10% TCS, so technically it would cost me 11.3 lakhs.

What do you guys think about this deal?

Rear Wiper is something I am not comfortable to get away with and don’t want to be at risk while driving in rain, so Turbo is something I am going to go with.

If there is a not much difference in mileage between NA and Turbo, then it’s fine for me. My main concern is reliability and maintenance of turbo engine. Now a days all the manufacturers are promoting turbo engines in higher segments. Nexon does not even have an NA engine, still it’s leader in its segment. So am I overthinking about reliability of turbo engines or there are genuine issues that might come up after the warranty period of 5 years is over?
What about taking warranty till 7 years as hyundai is providing it on petrol cars? I need to check what it covers though and its cost. If reliability and maintenance is not a problem in the long run, I am fine to go with turbo. And even if turbo engine faces problems, what kind of problems may occur and how much I may need to spend on engine after warranty is over. If that amount is reasonable, I am fine with that too.
How are other companies turbo engines doing in this segment? If the car owners are reading this thread, could you please share your experience with 1L turbo GDI petrol engine? Thanks!
amit_hhh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 11:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rear Wiper is something I am not comfortable to get away with and don’t want to be at risk while driving in rain, so Turbo is something I am going to go with.
Makes sense and congratulations in advance

No idea on the inter state taxation and pricing stuff but get the max warranty possible and that applies to all cars that are going to be serviced at the ASC.
Just make sure to not miss/delay any service as that can be used to deny any warranty claim however unrelated.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 12:37   #7
BHPian

Re: Is Venue S Optional Turbo MT good choice over NA engine?

Quote:
Thank you @shancz, @bijims, @vattyboy for responding to my query and providing thé opinions.

What about taking warranty till 7 years as hyundai is providing it on petrol cars? I need to check what it covers though and its cost. If reliability and maintenance is not a problem in the long run, I am fine to go with turbo. And even if turbo engine faces problems, what kind of problems may occur and how much I may need to spend on engine after warranty is over. If that amount is reasonable, I am fine with that too.
How are other companies turbo engines doing in this segment? If the car owners are reading this thread, could you please share your experience with 1L turbo GDI petrol engine? Thanks!
Don't worry, Turbos are the norm now rather than the exception, whatever the case, I would always recommend getting the maximum possible warranty, so getting the 7-year warranty would be a good choice. Service and maintenance expenses of the 1.2 Petrol and 1.0 Turbo Petrol are more or less similar, As far as I know, and my experience with Hyundai and Kia cars, especially in Kia, the My Convenience Package for both these engines for 5 years costs the same, so there isn't much reason for the costs to vary greatly in Hyundai either.

Moreover, my brother owns a Kia Sonet Turbo Petrol DCT, it's the same engine as in the Hyundai albeit in the DCT instead of MT (which you are going for) and his experience over the past 3 years has been fantastic. Although it may take a while to adjust to the turbo engine's behaviour, once you get the hang of it, you will surely fall in love with it, especially if you are one, who likes to take it on the highway and enjoy a few outstation trips.

So far, the engines have been reliable and not many issues have arisen, albeit some DCT issues have been heard of in the forum, he has not experienced any as of yet, moreover, because you are going for manual, that issue doesn't exist either. So go ahead with your purchase and take the 7-year extended warranty if you need additional assurance.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 14:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is the Venue's Turbo motor a good choice over the NA engine?

Strictly speaking Hyundai petrol mills are known to be not as efficient nor as rev happy as their Japanese counterparts so I'd urge you to check out the Fronx that said, if you are dead set on getting a Venue, then perhaps go with the NA if most of your driving will be in the city as you would likely get better mileage with it compared to the turbo.
IshaanIan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 18:03   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

The problem with the turbo is that it neither has a torquey low end for city driving, nor is it fuel efficient for highway mile munching.

I would suggest that you stick to the NA petrol, it is adequate for the kind of driving you plan to do and it is substantially more fuel efficient in real world driving conditions.

Also, the Hyundai 1.2 petrol might have less power and be a bit less fuel efficient than the Maruti 1.2, but it is creamy smooth.
teknophobia is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 23:32   #10
BHPian

I daily-drive a Nios i10 turbo (manual) in Gurugram traffic and can list down the pros and cons that you'll be facing compared to NA petrols.

CONS-
1. There is nothing low down the revs so you'll have to slip the clutch quite a lot. Also, taking off even from speed breakers will require you to shift to 1st gear.

2. It's very easy to stall it. Everyone stalls it the first time they move it and even after 10k kms, I manage to stall it once in a while.

2. Throttle response is not quick/sharp. When you press the accelerator there is always some delay before the car surges ahead. I'm not talking about the turbo lag, i.e even when cruising if you plan to vary throttle input there is some delay.

3. Turbo lag is present and is quite a annoyance in the slow moving/choc-a-bloc traffic.

4. There is no crescendo like the NAs. Top range feels flat after the strong mid.

5. Car shakes at startup and while idling. Constant thrum is present. Wiser fellows at my home don't like it.(I love it and it's not a con for me tho).

PROS-
1. Mid range is devastating. If you are in the right gear and the right revs, it will haul...

2. It's very easy to maintain high triple digit speeds and overtaking even fast moving traffic is easy. For ex - car does 120kmph @2800 RPM. Lend great cruising ability to the car.

3. I get very good fuel efficiency despite my primitive driving style.
I get 14-15 kmpl in the city and 18+ kmpl on long drives (MID indicated)

For your use case - I think you are better off with the NA. Please, do take a test drive.
Chandrahas is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 01:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrahas View Post
2. It's very easy to maintain high triple digit speeds and overtaking even fast moving traffic is easy. For ex - car does 120kmph @2800 RPM.
Correction - it's 120kmph @ 2500 RPM and 130 kmph @2900.

Also - About the rear wiper - It hardly rains 15-20 days in a year in Gurugram. Albeit an important safety feature, it's not that necessary for our semi arid area.
Cruise control - Useless on our chaotic roads.
Chandrahas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 09:16   #12
BHPian

From your driving needs i.e mostly city based, Turbo doesn't seem that essential.
Stick with NA petrol

Also good choice to go with MT. This will hone your driving skills. In future i.e after some years you can shift to an automatic
Old 25th December 2023, 09:20   #13
BHPian

I used to have a 1.2 manual. It is fairly linear, refined and gives a consistent 12 km/l. The 1.0 is extremely fun to drive but as other members mentioned, has low end lag, poor nvh (3 cylinder motor) and mileage goes for a toss as soon as you step on it (typical turbo petrol behaviour). For a first car, given your non enthusiast use case, perhaps the 1.2 would serve you well.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 11:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest whether to change it to NA engine and compromise on rear wiper or keep the turbo model only. Thanks!
Why not XUV300 ? If it’s because of boot space then wait for the upcoming facelift in early 2024, check it out and then take a decision. It’s an international product and a well engineered one. The turbo petrol engine is also better than the Venue. Also, Elevate, Kushaq, Verna base MT are in similar price range, and so far VAG group 1.0 turbo petrols are very enjoyable and quite reliable.

Coming to the Venue, some points :

- Once you get used to driving, you’ll definitely want the more powerful engine. So the primary reason to go for the turbo is better engine, features are an added bonus.

- Cruise control will help your legs relax on those highway trips. Also helps in extracting higher mileage.

- Since you’re from Gurgaon where rains are limited rear wiper is not of much use. It primarily gets used in rains to clean up the rear glass.

- Maintenance should be similar for both engines, but longevity is likely to be better in NA. Mileage can be extracted from turbo engine by adapting the driving style.

My suggestion: Whichever vehicle you shortlist, take the longest possible extended warranty and go for the turbo.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 12:04   #15
BHPian

I was in your shoes few years ago. I was also advised to buy a less powerful NA engine that supplies linear power. But once I got used to driving, I started wishing the engine had more power.
I would suggest you to buy a car keeping in mind your requirements one year from now. You can’t just upgrade to another car next year. Buy the most powerful engine you can afford, don’t worry about being new to driving. I would also suggest to buy an automatic if you can afford it.
cryptarchy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks