Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2023, 18:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
4. Should have 7 seats and loads of space for luggage when being used as a 5 seater.
Are you absolutely insistent on having a third row if it will be used only occasionally? If not, the Hyundai Tucson might be worth a look. The petrol powertrain and the badge are lacklustre, and it's relatively expensive, but otherwise it is roomy, comfortable, well-made and has all the equipment you could possibly ask for.

Your best bet remains the Innova Hycross, I think, and a personal note: I would recommend staying with the booking unless you absolutely change your mind - we almost cancelled ours recently and started exploring rivals but suddenly Toyota has started giving much more reasonable ETA estimates and now we're glad we didn't cancel.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 22:09   #32
BHPian

re: Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Are you absolutely insistent on having a third row if it will be used only occasionally? If not, the Hyundai Tucson might be worth a look. The petrol powertrain and the badge are lacklustre, and it's relatively expensive, but otherwise it is roomy, comfortable, well-made and has all the equipment you could possibly ask for.

Your best bet remains the Innova Hycross, I think, and a personal note: I would recommend staying with the booking unless you absolutely change your mind - we almost cancelled ours recently and started exploring rivals but suddenly Toyota has started giving much more reasonable ETA estimates and now we're glad we didn't cancel.
Thank you for the reply, Ron!

The Tucson was the first car I test drove. Every single thing about it impressed me: The cabin is roomy, the boot is capacious, the materials are premium, the looks are modern, the features are up to date and the engine is smooth. Since I am not into driving fast, I am okay with the slightly dull NA petrol engine. In fact, I prefer it over a complex turbo engine. The dealership experience was also the nicest of all. In fact, if one looks past the badge, this car absolutely blows the Mercedes GLA and BMW X1 away.

The thing is though, while I was in the middle of evaluating the Tucson and other 5 seaters such as the Audi Q5 (Crazy discounts), VW Tiguan, X1 and GLA, I realised that I really must get a 3 row car this time. Third row usage is occasional for us, but its absence pinches quite a bit when it does.

After thinking hard, I have decided to let go of the XUV and Hector from my shortlist. The Hector simply does not inspire confidence as far as the mechanicals are concerned; The vibe I get from it seems to suggest that all that bling is trying to make up for their lack of engineering prowess.
I am not going for the Mahindra because of the fact that they have not bothered to offer a 3 point seatbelt for the 3rd passenger in the middle row. When Australian cars made in the same factory can have it, why should the India spec model not have it? It may sound like a trivial thing, but for a car that will see so much highway action, this seems like a big safety hazard.

At the end of the day, its a battle between the Kodiaq, Fortuner and Innova. The Hybrid powertrain, spacious cabin, relatively more affordable price tag, E20 readiness and the Toyota assurance have tilted things in favour of the Innova at the moment.

What variant have you booked and what is your ETA? Most VX and VX (o) bookings in Delhi-NCR seem to materialise within 4-5 months. Till date, the maximum I have heard for this region is 8 months.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 23:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not going for the Mahindra because of the fact that they have not bothered to offer a 3 point seatbelt for the 3rd passenger in the middle row.
It's a surprisingly cheap touch in what is otherwise a very well-engineered car, as is the lack of a half-decent, adjustable neck restraint like the Australian version. The XUV700 doesn't offer the workaround of captain seats either. Hopefully the BNCAP criteria coerce Mahindra into reconsidering soon.

Quote:
At the end of the day, its a battle between the Kodiaq, Fortuner and Innova.
We ruled out the Fortuner because it didn't make sense to pay such a large premium over a more modern and comfortable product like the Innova in favour of 4x4 and higher GC, which can be taken care of by a small off-roader that asks approximately the price difference between the two.

Quote:
What variant have you booked and what is your ETA? Most VX and VX (o) bookings in Delhi-NCR seem to materialise within 4-5 months.
It is a ZX without the TSS option pack. I'm afraid I can't disclose anything quantitative about the booking and delivery on the public forum.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 18:42   #34
BHPian

I have a rather out of syallabus option. The XL6 Alpha AT.

On a recent jaunt to find a client a car of choice. We started with the Hycross and the Grand Vitara. Even looking up till the Kodiaq and the X5. Yes everything else was more powerful and what not. But considering I'm from Bangalore and bad roads are pretty much a pebbles throw away. This is one car that managed everything with poise. The problem is it's a four seater with the rear seats folded. But but. The seats are far better padded and more comfortable.

The other choice is the Rumion. From Toyota. Yes you have to live with that beige interior. But it does come with a bench second row. Might be worth considering.

I hope it helps. And I hope you give it an honest look. They're not the same category. But they're comfy mile munchers.
valhallen.282 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 04:30   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV7OO is the ideal choice. Fast, comfortable, rugged enough to suit Indian highway conditions and still reasonably priced.

I just wish M&M would do a quick mid-cycle update to the XUV - remove that hideous front headlight shape with those Walrus teeth arcing down. This is the single biggest visual reason I cannot fathom this car. With Prathap Bose on board with Mahindra for over a year, I thought his design sensibilities would be hurt bad enough by these Walrus lights, that it would be the first thing he would insist on getting rid of (or even dictate it as a pre-condition to Mahindra for joining them), but alas, this has not happened. M&M could also provide better seat colour options like a Mocha brown, improve interior plastics and switchgear a bit and provide sliding second row seats. It would then be the perfect vehicle in the AX7 petrol auto guise. This kind of update is also much needed to take on the Safari, which now looks more elegant and feels more premium than the XUV700 after its recent update.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th November 2023 at 04:36.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 12:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Safety
2. Reliability and abuse friendly nature
3. Ground clearance
Here are my recommendations, in order of preference:

a. XUV7OO - ticks all of the above boxes. Since you plan to travel to remote areas with family, good service network is a must, in addition to abuse-friendly build. If and when you decide to take the wheel yourself, you'll be thrilled by the blistering performance of that mStallion unit! Highly recommended.

b. Hycross - again, ticks all boxes but falls a little short in terms of looks and interiors, compared to the XUV7OO. However, it makes up for this via much better fuel efficiency and higher reliability, not to mention impeccable comfort levels. Certainly, not as 'exciting' as the XUV7OO, though.

c. Fortuner - if you can live with the relatively sedate engine and slightly bumpy ride, this machine will be with you till kingdom come! There are a few Fortuner petrol owners on this forum and they swear by the car. Do consider.

d. Kodiaq - lovely car but sadly, not the apt choice for your use case of rural use. You'll always be anxious about availablity of requisite fuel and road conditions. A luxurious but 'delicate' European, if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

Last edited by cool_dube : 13th November 2023 at 12:48.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 20:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Your valuable inputs would really be appreciated. Eagerly awaiting your responses.
Thanks,
Sanidhya
Petrol+7 seats + safety + comfort for long tours + chauffer driven - budget

1st position - Toyota Vellfire (most comfortable and expensive)
2nd position - Toyota Fortuner (Middle order if money or mileage is not a concern)
3rd position - Toyota Hycross (Most practical choice as it ticks all boxes and is the most economical.)
4th position - TATA Safari (ASS and reliability is a hit or miss.. mostly miss)

Kia Carens or Alcazar are not in the same league in terms of safety hence won't recommend.

Also, I don't think Ertiga and Hycross are in the same league by any length. In terms of engine and hybrid technology they are pretty much poles apart. Looks can be similar as Maruti designers have a tendency to copy and paste.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 21:08   #38
BHPian

I may be late to the thread, but here's my take.

With Tata and Mahindra - it's most likely not worth paying more than 15 lakhs for any car, primarily because even to this date, there are horror stories from Safari/Harrier/ScorpioN/XUV700 ownership threads which you don't want to go through as an owner of a car after paying 20L+.

Toyota Innova Hycross is the most rational decision you can take. It's proven reliable workhorse and you have the longevity factor also.

Do check out Sunderdeep's volklub channel on YouTube, he's THE go to guy for me for all things Skoda/VW.

IMO, if you can afford a Tiguan/Kodiaq, you should go for them. Agreed resale value would not be as much as Toyota, but if you intend to keep the car for 10 years at least, it should be a no brainer given how these two cars are like 80-85% Audi Q5 in terms of the features and spec.

Kia Carnival is a sound decision also but definitely lengthier and would be difficult in narrow roads and cramped cities.

I'd probably advise staying away from Jeep - as after-sales and service is questionable at best.

With Tata & Mahindra, the purchase is mostly a gamble. So, you have to take your chances.

I'd definitely suggest you avoid Alcazar or Carens or even Tucson - none of them are safe, and for the price you pay you better prioritise safety. Hyundai is yet to prove its higher end cars to be safe. Carnival is a 5-star rated car, and most likely its 2024 version would be too.

As for Tiguan & Kodiaq - they are definitely safe, several notches above every other car in their respective price segment and actual segment, the quality of the materials used, structural integrity of the car, the comfort level, the interiors, safety features, and the 5-star rated safety gncap rating, and overall superb performance both on and off-road (check the recent skoda/vw offroad events demonstrating their cars offroad capabilities, even those without 4x4 doing very well offroad) - it's a no brainer.

The quality of Tiguan/Kodiaq and T-Roc if they relaunch are another level as these are global cars and reflect Audi craftsmanship. Service costs would be mostly similar to if you had an MG Gloster. So, for the price you pay, I feel the Kodiaq/Tiguan twins or Carnival would be the best of both worlds.

Hycross is obviously the safest choice if you don't want any risk and okay with a boring but the most reliable car.
shrvenkataraman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 09:38   #39

You can try KIA Carens , it has multiple engine options which can work for you along with it there is an upcoming CNG also in the rounds. You can load what not in the boot when using it as a 5 seater. Also it has the most practical 3rd row I have seen. I do own a Carens and my ownership experience is excellent.
Even for ground clearance it does meet your requirements.
dreamkiller_18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 12:49   #40
BHPian

Hello all,

Thanks for your inputs and suggestions. I have finally taken delivery of a Toyota Innova Hycross ZX (o) in Sparkling Black Pearl Crystal Shine. Here, I will share an account of how I ended up making this choice.

Even though I had stated my requirements in the opening post, for the sake of convenience, I will state them again. I was looking for a big SUV/MUV to complement my W204 Mercedes C-class and Ertiga CNG. The idea was to buy a car that is suitable for long journeys. The Merc is not conducive for long journeys because I don’t like taking it to places with bad roads. The rear seat is cramped and the availability of premium fuel becomes a big question mark the moment you venture beyond the city. On the other hand, the Ertiga does not inspire confidence on the highways due to the poor build, lack of safety features and the general compromises in the overall package. What I wanted was a car that could address all these shortcomings effectively. Also, since I stay in Delhi-NCR, the car had to be Petrol or Hybrid. Was also not looking at EVs because charging infrastructure is an issue in rural India.

My current garage: the C-class that is now 10 years old and the Ertiga CNG on the day it was delivered:

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_6085.jpeg

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-cd1e11d4d4a24084b36ece2a2d3f8ea4.jpeg

Initially, the idea was to replace my C-class with a nice premium car.
My search began at a Mercedes Benz dealership which is a 5 minute walk from my residence. The new GLC had just been launched, although it would cost well over what I was looking to spend. The GLA looked good, but the 55 lakh price tag did not seem appropriate for a car with no rear armrest, a 1.3 litre Renault engine and a cramped rear seat.
They had a couple of attractively priced GLBs from 2022 stock as well, but I did not quite like the idea of buying a car that had been sitting at the dealership for 1-1.5 years.

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_8355.jpeg

Up next, I visited the Audi dealership at Gurgaon. Quite liked the Q3 and Q5, especially because the discounts were quite attractive and they were willing to offer a satisfactory price for my C-class. However, the rear seat of the Q3 was quite cramped and the Q5, while well priced, did not feel special enough to make me spend that kind of money.

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_5425.jpeg

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_5426.jpeg

Disappointing rear legroom on the Q3:
Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_5424.jpeg

Did not bother visiting the BMW dealership because the X3 was expensive and was now available only in diesel, while the X1 only had a 3 cylinder engine. Didn’t want my most expensive car yet to be the one with fewest cylinders in my garage.

As far as Lexus and Volvo were concerned, the SUV offerings were beyond what I was comfortable spending.

I then decided that rather than replacing the Merc with something from the luxury brands, it would make more sense to get an additional car. The Merc is immaculately maintained, less driven, and still quite dear to me. A proper upgrade would be very expensive and the attainable models from luxury marques would feel like a bit of a come down on many aspects.

The first cars to win my heart were the VW Tiguan and the Skoda Kodiaq. The dealership experience was good, the cars were built solidly, they were loaded with features and were priced quite well. I called the Kodiaq home for a text drive and was blown away by the performance. The attention to detail was just like a German luxury car. Very impressive. However, I was apprehensive about long term availability of parts and reliability. There are very few cars on Indian roads, the models are being replaced with new ones globally, the manufacturers aren’t exactly known for industry best service and the cars aren’t the most reliable. Posts on Team-BHP also suggested that these cars are very sensitive to fuel grade and quality, meaning that they aren’t the best options for rural travel.

The Test drive Kodiaq that came to my house:
Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_5439.jpeg

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_5436.jpeg

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_5437.jpeg

The next car to be test driven by me was the Hyundai Tucson. Loved the interior, sound system, fit and finish, design and technology. It felt like a proper Audi Q5 rival on all aspects barring the engine. Since I am not really a fast or enthusiastic driver, I was okay with the slightly slow performance. Shortlisted.

I checked out the MG Hector at the Gurgaon dealership and was not impressed with the weird design, the huge screen and the reviews about the sloppy handling. The negativity around MG and FDI from China also played a role.

Was disappointed with the Scorpio N in terms of the poor space management in the boot, the cramped third row, no AC vents in the back and a lack of 3 point seatbelts for all passengers. The XUV700 was also not considered for the missing 3 point seatlbelt for the middle rear passenger.

The Scorpio Z6 taxi that I hired while visiting my home town:
Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_5798.jpeg

The Fortuner 2.7 petrol was a pretty hard wearing and durable car with indestructible mechanicals. However, the lack of features, unsettling ride and the fact that it is now quite long in the tooth worked against it.

In the end, it was down to Hyundai Tucson and Innova Hycross. The Tucson felt more premium, had better interiors, was easily available off the shelf and the dealership experience was also better at Hyundai. However, in the end, the Hycross won because of the ottoman seats, rear sunshades, better road presence and most importantly, the hybrid power train. I also felt that in the long run, the Hycross will be easier to maintain because being a more popular model, parts are likely to be available easily for years to come. Further, resale value could be better for the popular Hycross. My car was chosen. Somehow managed to get a Hycross ZX (o) delivered within a few months of booking.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_6412.jpeg  

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_6401.jpeg  

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_6378.jpeg  

Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross-img_6392.jpeg  

Sanidhya mukund is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 16:04   #41
BANNED

Re: Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross

Quote:
Hello all,

I have finally taken delivery of a Toyota Innova Hycross ZX (o) in Sparkling Black Pearl Crystal Shine.
Congratulations for the new Ride. I am also in a big conundrum to choose my new ride.

Budget: 43Lakhs max OTR Pune
Options i had: Top ends of XUV7oo, Safari, Tucson, Hycross ZX(O).

I don't want to own the JEEP. Skoda Kodiaq is out of reach. I briefly considered pre-owned German (C class, 3 Series etc.- but risk factor outweigh the aspirations).

What were your main criterion for choosing Hycross? Hope it will help me in finetuning my searches. How is the overall ownership cruising till now?
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 16:39   #42
BANNED

Re: Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross

Hi,

Congratulations on your new Toyota Innova Hycross.
Wishes to clock many more miles without any issues.

From my point of view, It was a very wise decision to keep your well maintained Mercedes instead of selling it and buying a new Luxury vehicle.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 02:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Even though I had stated my requirements in the opening post, for the sake of convenience, I will state them again. I was looking for a big SUV/MUV to complement my W204 Mercedes C-class and Ertiga CNG. The idea was to buy a car that is suitable for long journeys. The Merc is not conducive for long journeys because I don’t like taking it to places with bad roads. The rear seat is cramped and the availability of premium fuel becomes a big question mark the moment you venture beyond the city. On the other hand, the Ertiga does not inspire confidence on the highways due to the poor build, lack of safety features and the general compromises in the overall package. What I wanted was a car that could address all these shortcomings effectively. Also, since I stay in Delhi-NCR, the car had to be Petrol or Hybrid. Was also not looking at EVs because charging infrastructure is an issue in rural India.

In the end, it was down to Hyundai Tucson and Innova Hycross. The Tucson felt more premium, had better interiors, was easily available off the shelf and the dealership experience was also better at Hyundai. However, in the end, the Hycross won because of the ottoman seats, rear sunshades, better road presence and most importantly, the hybrid power train. I also felt that in the long run, the Hycross will be easier to maintain because being a more popular model, parts are likely to be available easily for years to come. Further, resale value could be better for the popular Hycross. My car was chosen. Somehow managed to get a Hycross ZX (o) delivered within a few months of booking.
I had a similar journey to finalising the Hycross as you. Started looking for entry level german luxury cars. All of them have had their prices go up rapidly by some 5-20L over the past few years but without any reasonable changes. No major increases in power or anything substantial.

Meanwhile, the lower segments were undergoing massive improvements. Didn't make any sense to pay 2x for the badge and less features and more headaches.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Congratulations for the new Ride. I am also in a big conundrum to choose my new ride.

Budget: 43Lakhs max OTR Pune
Options i had: Top ends of XUV7oo, Safari, Tucson, Hycross ZX(O).

I don't want to own the JEEP. Skoda Kodiaq is out of reach. I briefly considered pre-owned German (C class, 3 Series etc.- but risk factor outweigh the aspirations).

What were your main criterion for choosing Hycross? Hope it will help me in finetuning my searches. How is the overall ownership cruising till now?
Thank you for the wishes! My main criteria behind choosing this car was that I wanted an abuse friendly, reliable and solid car that I can take wherever I want, whenever I want. The trouble with my existing garage was that one car was so delicate that it ended up becoming a “garage queen” that could not be taken to places where roads were bad or fuel quality was questionable. On the other hand, the other car I had was too basic, lacked features and did not inspire confidence on the highways.

The ownership has been going smoothly till now. Have driven about 100 Km and the car seems to be a good performer. Since it is an MPV, it may not be ideal to expect it to be sporty, but it is still reasonably fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
Hi,

Congratulations on your new Toyota Innova Hycross.
Wishes to clock many more miles without any issues.

From my point of view, It was a very wise decision to keep your well maintained Mercedes instead of selling it and buying a new Luxury vehicle.
Thank you for the wishes! Yes, I could not fathom the fact that the car would fetch peanuts in the used car market while it is still very well maintained and still drives like new. Made more sense to get an additional car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I had a similar journey to finalising the Hycross as you. Started looking for entry level german luxury cars. All of them have had their prices go up rapidly by some 5-20L over the past few years but without any reasonable changes. No major increases in power or anything substantial.

Meanwhile, the lower segments were undergoing massive improvements. Didn't make any sense to pay 2x for the badge and less features and more headaches.
Thank you for the reply!

As has been said before on the forum multiple times, a 30-40 lakh car is all you will ever need. Anything higher is driven purely by desire or lure for the badge. The India spec models of the entry level German cars feel so pared down, underpowered and overpriced that they just don’t seem to bring anything to the table besides the badge. Your posts and updates on the Hycross thread certainly helped me make a choice!
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks