Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2023, 07:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post

My primary concern with the XUV700 and especially the Kodiaq is the fact that their engines are sensitive to fuel octane number and quality. That is normally not an issue in Delhi-NCR where you can get XP95 readily, but as you venture out to the rural areas of neighbouring states, you soon find yourself struggling to find anything other than regular petrol and diesel. In fact this is one factor that severely restricted the mobility of my C200 CGI. This is where the Innova and Fortuner shine. Not only are they E20 ready, but also run just fine on regular petrol. They are not at all sensitive to fuel quality. You will never hear somebody left stranded in these cars because the 'EPC' light started to glow after refuelling.
XUV700 engine needs 91 octane minimum, which is regular petrol. Doesn’t necessarily need 95. Also, it is E20 ready. mStallion petrol engine is perfectly suited to cross country trips, should not have issues with normal petrol unless it is adulterated, obviously. It is an India friendly engine.

The EPC light issue, which means fuel pump, was limited to Skoda-VW2.0 cars in India - Kushaq, Virtus etc, and that too in the initial batches.

Skoda-VW’s 2.0 TSi is more demanding on its fuel requirements. It’s not E20 rated and requires 95octane minimum. We’ve had a Kodiaq in the family for a couple of years now, and finding XP95 on highways in the north has never been an issue. E20 is a more pressing concern here, as any potential long term issue will be out of the customer’s pocket. Just that, the rest of the package is so damn good, it makes you want to risk it.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 4th November 2023 at 07:33.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 10:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which Petrol, Automatic UV for long journeys? EDIT: Bought the Innova Hycross

Quote:
With these requirements in mind, I have gone ahead and booked the Toyota Innova Hycross VX (O) 8 seater in Sparkling Black Crystal Shine. I have been quoted a waiting period of 12-15 moths. However, I am having second thoughts about my choice; The Ertiga was a decision that was made with the head only, and while the car does serve its purpose well, I do not particularly like it. It feels very insipid and bland. I am unfortunately getting similar vibes from the Innova Hycross, especially because of the cheap interiors and accentuated by the fact that I cannot get a ZX model due to the bookings being closed.
I was in the exact same dilemma as well, and I have come to terms with the HyCross. The negatives of the HyCross are minuscule compared to its positives !!

Since you’re planning to keep your C for a few more years, wait for the HyCross, although I know it’s going to be a long wait…

The space, efficiency, reliability and service costs make the HyCross a formidable contestant in this battle.

Since even I have booked one, I’m planning to upgrade the alloys to the Crysta’s 17 inchers and 235/55/R17 tyres to enhance the somewhat bland side-profile of the VX and VX(O) trims.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 11:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav07 View Post
My friends father booked it about 6 months ago and got it today actually. VX(O) variant is still loaded with features. Please wait for it, it will be worth it. Its a Toyota
Since I booked it in October, the bookings for ZX were closed by then. Wow, a ZX delivered within 6 months!? Did your friend's father speak to some higher ups at Toyota for expeditious delivery or did the car come this quick in normal course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
XUV700 engine needs 91 octane minimum, which is regular petrol. Doesn’t necessarily need 95. Also, it is E20 ready. mStallion petrol engine is perfectly suited to cross country trips, should not have issues with normal petrol unless it is adulterated, obviously. It is an India friendly engine.

The EPC light issue, which means fuel pump, was limited to Skoda-VW2.0 cars in India - Kushaq, Virtus etc, and that too in the initial batches.

Skoda-VW’s 2.0 TSi is more demanding on its fuel requirements. It’s not E20 rated and requires 95octane minimum. We’ve had a Kodiaq in the family for a couple of years now, and finding XP95 on highways in the north has never been an issue. E20 is a more pressing concern here, as any potential long term issue will be out of the customer’s pocket. Just that, the rest of the package is so damn good, it makes you want to risk it.
I stand corrected about the XUV. I do remember, that EPC issue on the India 2.0 cars was quite a nightmare for the brand. It damaged their reputation to quite an extent. I was surprised to learn that even their global models have EPC warning light issues, thought it never leads to breakdowns. Quoting a few posts from the Kodiaq thread that talk about EPC issues on the 2.0 TSI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
I took my new Kodiaq for a spin today. I had filled V power from Shell when I took delivery. On the highway near Bengaluru today, filled 10 liters of regular petrol at Shell as they did not have V power. 2 minutes into the drive I have the EPC warning.

What does this mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
There have been a few cases where poor quality of fuel has led to an EPC Error on the cluster. In some cases the fuel pump and fuel tank is completely drained and cleaned and the problem is resolved. Many are using regular petrol (91 RON) and many including me are using XP95 since day 1. These issues do seem to be occurring only in the ones filled with regular petrol, as far as I can remember. Let me tell you the poor quality fuel issue with errors and sluggish performance will come with any car nowadays. The engines are too sensitive to fuel quality and even slight deviations in parameters can trigger the errors in order to save the engine. For the EA888 Gen3B engine which is present in the Kodiaq TSI, recommended fuel is minimum 95 RON. The manual says, the higher in RON you go, the engine will be that much more smooth, and fuel efficient. XP 95 has been available for quite some time now and even on highways I have seen easy availability. But it might help to plan the route / stops as per the location of the fuel bunks with XP95.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvenkat View Post
I own a 2022 Kodiaq 2.0 Tsi . Yesterday I had refuelled at a IOC bunk with XP 95 . After driving for an hour , the car displays a EPC error .

I called the service team and they asked me to restart the car , the EPC error had vanished .

Could it be an issue due to the E12 fuel ? Is it a serious issue or common glitch with the car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I was in the exact same dilemma as well, and I have come to terms with the HyCross. The negatives of the HyCross are minuscule compared to its positives !!
Thank you for the reply!

Your inputs over PM on the Innova vs Fortuner were really helpful. Looks like the Innova is indeed the best option for what I need. As GTO said, there is no such thing as a perfect car. Any car one buys, there will always be that nagging doubt about the choice being made. If its the Kodiaq, and you go someplace where there is no premium fuel available, you would tell yourself, "Should have bought the Innova". If you get an Innova, each time you ease off the throttle on those twisty roads, you will tell yourself, "I wish I bought a Kodiaq." It really boils down to what one is willing to let go and what is a non-negotiable.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 11:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
3. Toyota:
Innova Hycross:
+Value for money pricing.
+Reasonably well equipped.
+Superb Fuel economy.
+Very Spacious and comfortable.
+Very quiet when on EV mode.

-Cheap plastics.
-You cannot get the ZX or ZX (o) even if you want to.
-Aspirational worth is lower than the others as it is an MPV and looks Van-like.
-Feels insipid and bland like my Ertiga.

Eagerly awaiting your responses.
Thanks,
Sanidhya
This really is your only choice, for decreasing the waiting period, you could either
1) Look at the nexa variant of this
2) lease it from orix or some such company. Would workout a better deal if you have your own business.
Good luck!
Sandy Damodaran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 11:42   #20
BHPian

If you can do away with the third row - consider the Hyundai Tucson as well. It’s an all rounder that does everything well. You have the typical Hyundai peace of mind, it drives well and looks futuristic.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 12:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Since you have an Ertiga, I doubt anything like Carens will make you happy( same MPV looks and questionable safety)

Do you really need 7 seats plus boot ? Only two cars can meet your need - Hycross, Carnival( new model due soon)

But if you need 5 seater and occasional 3rd row only for short journeys, then you can go with either XUV700 or Safari.

I am also finding it difficult to finalise for my next car as C segment cars feel like a downgrade and XUV/Safari have their share of niggles and hycross is not worth the premium Toyota is charging.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 16:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
If you can do away with the third row - consider the Hyundai Tucson as well. It’s an all rounder that does everything well. You have the typical Hyundai peace of mind, it drives well and looks futuristic.
Thank you for the reply!
I loved the Tucson. It meets all my requirements to the T. In fact, the Tucson was the first car I test drove. However, I really want this purchase to have 3 rows of seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Since you have an Ertiga, I doubt anything like Carens will make you happy( same MPV looks and questionable safety)

Do you really need 7 seats plus boot ? Only two cars can meet your need - Hycross, Carnival( new model due soon)

But if you need 5 seater and occasional 3rd row only for short journeys, then you can go with either XUV700 or Safari.

I am also finding it difficult to finalise for my next car as C segment cars feel like a downgrade and XUV/Safari have their share of niggles and hycross is not worth the premium Toyota is charging.

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, the Carens and Alcazar are only slightly better than the Ertiga/XL6. What I would like to buy is a bigger UV than those two. Safari is an enticing option with its VFM pricing and tech, but then it is a diesel only model, and is not really known for its reliability. The XUV700 also lacks the finesse of an Innova. What matters the most on a long haul car is that it does not leave you stranded thousands of kilometres from help, which is exactly where the XUV looses out.

In the end, one is left with no choice but to pay the 'Reliability tax' to Toyota.
Old 4th November 2023, 16:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the end, one is left with no choice but to pay the 'Reliability tax' to Toyota.
You won't regret the Toyota. I am sure that premium will fetch you better resale in future too.

Being a toyota owner, I too considered Toyota but I feel the premium for VX hybrid(7 lakh over GX) is not worth it. So your only option now is VX(O) hycross since it at least justifies the premium with more features. If price is not a concern - Kodiaq/Tiguan too can be considered but I feel hycross has better space overall and usable 3rd row for adults.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 4th November 2023 at 16:30.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 17:53   #24
BHPian

Hi Sanidhya,
Looking at your requirements, I'd say please go for the Hycross. It exactly meets your requirements and is spacious too (it's an Innova at the end of the day)

Next option would definitely be the XUV700, its a gem, especially the Petrol AT. We have one and it's been flawless till now. Although the third row is not suited for tall adults, it can occasionally seat kids and short people.

Another option in mind is the Scorpio-N, but the ride quality is stiff.

As far as I know, some dealers have unofficially started taking bookings of Hycross ZX and ZX(O), both in MH and KA. You can still try
SID7115 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 18:11   #25
BANNED

Given your need for a rugged vehicle suitable for regular use on rough terrain, the Mahindra twins stand out as the ideal choice. The MStallion model, in particular, has established itself as a dependable workhorse with a track record free from major reliability issues. With the Scorpio N being eliminated from consideration, the XUV remains your sole option, and it truly excels in terms of driving experience. Considering your plans to journey to rural areas with your family, it's advisable to avoid Skoda and Volkswagen vehicles.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 19:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Safari is an enticing option with its VFM pricing and tech, but then it is a diesel only model, and is not really known for its reliability.
A friend of mine, who heads the Purchasing function of a European Automotive MNC in India, bought a Tata Harrier AT ard 3 years back since he was well aware of the quality of engineering/parts that went into Harrier/Safari. He is fond of driving and has driven down to Delhi (from Bangalore) many times. Never faced any issue anywhere. So I do not think reliability is an issue anymore. You may want to wait for a Petrol engine that is due in next few months. It will have Power/Torque numbers compared to the existing diesel engine. I may get that too.
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 23:10   #27
BHPian

Go for the Kodiaq. It is good to drive as well as the safety is better than Kias and Marutis of the world. Get the extended warranty for added peace of mind. The Skoda service centers can be menace sometimes but aren’t all of them nowadays. If you dont mind not getting the newer global version then you should get go ahead with it. Else as GTO said you can wait for a bit and evaluate your options but that can stretch up to be more than a year.
M_Poweredd_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 11:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

I currently own a 2014 Mercedes C-Class W204 with 40k on the odo. Your valuable inputs would really be appreciated.

Eagerly awaiting your responses.
Thanks,
Sanidhya
My list for you.

=> Hycross
=> Carens
=> Safari (Diesel only, otherwise a fantastic option)
=> XUV 700
=> Jeep Meridian
=> Nexon DCA (if you can give up on 7 seater)

If you are sold on Hycross wholeheartedly, I suggest driving C- class till the time and waiting for Hycross; it's worth waiting.
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 12:42   #29
BHPian

Agree with you regarding the Hycross, the interiors do seem kind of bland. But then again, the legendary reliability and longevity factor of Toyota is definitely to be considered.

I am myself using an XUV 700 AX7 Petrol Automatic for 1.5 years now and can definitely recommend the car, going by the requirements listed by you.

The other 2 options I would suggest, though the budget would definitely have to be extended:

- Toyota Fortuner
- Skoda Kodiaq
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 18:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Since I booked it in October, the bookings for ZX were closed by then. Wow, a ZX delivered within 6 months!? Did your friend's father speak to some higher ups at Toyota for expeditious delivery or did the car come this quick in normal course?
Ok,now my friend didn't know the exact booking of the date and randomly said 6 months and I posted it here Very Sorry for the error.

On enquiring with his father, the actual booking date was in December 2022, so 11 months. Once again, apologies for the misunderstanding. The color is Navy Blue.

Hope this helps clear any doubts.

What's interesting is in the same apartment as him, there is another ZX(O) Hycross (Bronze color). Now ZX(O)'s are very rare, so to see 2 of them in the same block is quite nice!

Most Viewed