Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2023, 16:17   #16
BHPian

re: Which SUV to replace a Volvo XC60? | EDIT: Volvo C40 EV booked

Looking at the kind of usage you have and your requirements, I'd suggest the following:

1.MG Hector: I really like how spacious this car is and how supremely comfortable it is. It has more than adequate power for the City. Plus the CVT helps with the mileage bit.

2. Innova Hycross: Absolutely love the pure luxury feeling this car emotes. Again the Hybrid+Petrol option will help with NCR regulations and the bulletproof reliability of Toyota comes in handy!

3.BMW X7/Vellfire: I am not sure if you'd be willing to extend your budget but these would fulfill your requirements and more!

Love coming across such threads! Hope you're able to find something that suits your requirements
Sreesh1009 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 16:29   #17
BHPian

Replace your XC60 with an XC60.

In my honest opinion, if you go with another brand that might probably not have some features from your existing car, you will miss those features. I think you see where I'm heading at.

So if you get the XC60 itself, you will get the features you already had, plus a couple extra bits and bobs!

If not Volvo, IMHO, you can check out the VW Tiguan. It's stunning and has a lot of features and delivers a good amount of power!

Also, if you can splurge, then Toyota Vellfire!

Cheers!!
nova.19_exe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 17:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
[*]Rear seat ride comfort, cushy ride, NVH, leg space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova.19_exe View Post

If not Volvo, IMHO, you can check out the VW Tiguan. It's stunning and has a lot of features and delivers a good amount of power!
If cushy ride is important, Tiguan is ruled out.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 18:33   #19
BHPian

Audi Q5 - Should be in your budget and a comfortable ride.

All the best for your search and full credits to you and Volvo for keeping it in such top shape!!
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 23:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Most of the cars being recommended are way over budget. (1.2 Crore+ really?)

Upgrading from an old Volvo is hard because none of the Germans give you a “fully loaded” car in the same segment. I won’t recommend the new Volvos because they are right on the verge of being phased out and there are bad reviews about the reliability of their current gen petrol engines internationally.

I would say go for the Hyundai Tucson at the lower end or stretch for a Lexus Nx350h. You could also wait for the new Tiguan to be launched.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 03:20   #21
BHPian

Since you are looking for petrol and not interested in performance, do consider Hyundai Tucson petrol. Reasons being:

1. Hyundai ASS

2. Oodles of space in the back since it's LWB

3. Reclining rear seats

4. Really good NVH

5. It's a CKD, so no need to worry about safety.

6. Huge boot space

7. Even though exterior looks flashy, interior layout is rather simple

The only thing I can't vouch for is the availability of parts since it's a CKD.
Sandeep M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 07:17   #22
BHPian

Comfort, reliability and for someone who has had a fuss free 10 year ownership of his current car - I would stay clear of typical performance-oriented Germans with stiffer suspension and test drive the Camry and if SUV is a must then add in the Lexus NX to the list. Both have 500L+ boot space and meet the requirements listed under your primary needs to the T.

Personally I would be inclined more towards Camry - Toyota have given a lot of importance to backseat comfort in this car and have only heard good things about it.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th October 2023 at 17:28. Reason: Minor edits
Sandegov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 12:27   #23
BHPian

Dear Narayan, Showed your requirements to my dad (SuperGirl_GranDad). Hes a sexagenarian closer towards septuagenarian stage of life and often puts his heart decisions ahead of his head.
Hes very much aware of your impeccable model aircraft collection. The only car he suggested was the Mini in Racing green with a white top. This can be your own Spitfire for Mr and Mrs. VN

Which SUV to replace a Volvo XC60? | EDIT: Volvo C40 EV booked-mini1.jpg

Link

This may not even satisfy some of your needs, but may satisfy the boy in you.
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 19:31   #24
BHPian

Hello Sir, Given you are quite well connected with Lexus (based on what I have read in your XC60 thread) - I assume you are already aware of the launch of Lexus LM500 Minivan. Would that be in your list of considerations?

There's a separate thread running on it:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-revealed.html
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 09:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

My sincere thanks to all members who wrote in with their suggestions. Thank you for your time and effort.

I’ll check out the (i) Skoda Kodiaq, (ii) GLC/GLE, (iii) BMW X3 & X5, (iv) MG Hector, (v) Kia Seltos (vi) Tucson and of course (vii) Volvo XC60 and (viii) Lexus NX350h. While in terms of interiors and snob value it may be a bit of a step down I’m thinking of checking out the Honda Elevate too. Any thoughts?

The Toyota Hellfire is way to large for daily running and narrow roads other than the fact its looks are frightening (!!) and I no longer feel mentally comfortable, now that I am not earning, to spend more than Rs 70L on a car, any car.

There is a frugal/sathvik side in me that is saying that in looks, interiors, features, finish the gap between luxury and executive cars has narrowed to a point of irrelevance. The quality of a Rs 30 lakh car is at best half a notch below that of a Rs 50 lakh car. Gone are the days of wide differences. I was surprised at how well put together the Seltos was. I suspect the same will happen with the Kodiaq. Of course The Volvo XC60 and Lexus NX are safe bets for me being improved variants of what I am already used to including superlative service and I am the strict universal ‘uncle ji’ with the teams at both dealerships. Age has its advantages which I exploit thoroughly.

I did do a stroll in at the following dealerships - Toyota, Kia, Honda, Maruti Nexa. Nexa and Kia had super responsive staff who made a sincere effort to show and tell. Toyota smelt I was not there to buy just right away and half lost interest despite my having had Lexus call them to say I'll be coming. Honda was downright useless in its interface with the customer (me) - no interest, no enthusiasm; very sad. I test drove the Hycross. Fine car, average interiors {I don't like all black}, and very average ingress/egress at the rear.

I'll share my findings as I go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
Couple of years back I was in the same situation when I will looking for a vehicle to replace my XC60.
After a long search I found that the only replacement to a Volvo is a Lexus product. The level of comfort & peace of mind in after sales service will only come in a Lexus after getting used to Volvo.
Very interesting observation. Thank you Rahul Lal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Upgrading from an old Volvo is hard because none of the Germans give you a “fully loaded” car in the same segment. I won’t recommend the new Volvos because they are right on the verge of being phased out and there are bad reviews about the reliability of their current gen petrol engines internationally.
Dear @Cresterk, Could you elaborate on the bold part please. This could be a very important point. Thanks in advance.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 10:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While in terms of interiors and snob value it may be a bit of a step down I’m thinking of checking out the Honda Elevate too. Any thoughts?

There is a frugal/sathvik side in me that is saying that in looks, interiors, features, finish the gap between luxury and executive cars has narrowed to a point of irrelevance. The quality of a Rs 30 lakh car is at best half a notch below that of a Rs 50 lakh car. Gone are the days of wide differences..
From what I have been reading about the Elevate, the second part of the quoted section wont be applicable to the Elevate. And a big step-down in terms of power. Else it's looking like a good daily car - sis booked it last week.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 13:58   #27

I'd recommended the Toyota Hycross earlier. (post didn't get publish for some reason). Since, it seems you didn't really like it, I'd say do try the XUV 700 once. As I see it, it meets all your primary and secondary requirements.
Kurrant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 11:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

One important point being missed is the seats. The seats in the Volvo are superb in terms of comfort and support. The leather used is great quality and supple. I think this is one factor which will come into play when you test drive other cars. Please leave out the lower budget cars, while they may seem VFM they miss out on the finesse which a Volvo and the other Germans will provide. Considering you keep your cars for a long period, I would suggest you try and extend the budget a bit and check out the GLE (no real leather, only leatherette) and also the Q7 (which is a competent product and with big discounts). There is a good chance though only another Volvo may do the job.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th September 2023 at 11:52.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 13:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I’ll check out the (i) Skoda Kodiaq,
Will be too small and I won't suggest you try Skoda at this age.

Quote:
(ii) GLC/GLE, (iii) BMW X3 & X5,
GLS or X7 is what I will recommend instead. X5 is okish but since you sit in the rear, X7 is what you should target.

Quote:
(viii) Lexus NX350h.
Very nice car and you will feel at home. Better interiors than BMW or MB. If you drive self mostly or are Ok with sitting in the front, this is something that will be my recommendation. But if you prefer to sit in the rear, X7 is what you should consider.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 12:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

After I had gone and checked all the cars we had a family panchayat including the kids {all adults now} via video. The family voice was the rest don't feel the need for a second luxury car given we already have a well-maintained Lexus ES300h. My wife voiced this most firmly and they are quite happy going with a car in the Rs 20L- Rs 25L range. I was leaning towards the Lexus NX but majority wins. My mumbling that affordability is not in question was drowned out. My wife reminded me that as an educated unemployed my vote counts for less. Period. In all fairness the quality, finish, features and interiors of a Rs 20-25L car today would put even a C class of 15 years ago to shame.

So, the battle is now down to Toyota Hyryder and Honda Elevate. Given my need for excellent A.S.S. and reliability I've dropped MG & Tata from the list.
V.Narayan is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks