Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2023, 14:43   #16
BANNED

Re: Lateral upgrade dilemma - 2017 Creta to 2021 Hector

The 1.6 diesel you currently drive is one of the best engines I have experienced on our roads. It's refined, fast, and frugal. The Petrol CVT Hector is the exact opposite. It's fairly refined but very lazy and inefficient. A friend of mine sold their 20k run Hector due to abysmal fuel efficiency (10 kmpl or less even on highways). I'd suggest you stick with your Creat for 1-2 years, save some money, and then go for a proper 6/7 seater like XUV700 Petrol. It delivers similar FE but is substantially more powerful and fun to drive. You will have even more options in the EV/Hybrid segment by then.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 15:45   #17
BHPian

My two cents - check if the warranty is transferable. Else the primary reason behind buying the Hector will be lost. Do bear in mind that it is not a vehicle that can be serviced by roadside mechanics.
Joli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 15:54   #18
BHPian

IMHO please don't get swayed away by a good deal. Its always an exciting feeling to get a new car, but getting a car which you may have never really considered before might not play out as well in the long term. For all you know you could end up scouting for a new car earlier than you may have planned.

I feel wait it out and get a new car when you really need to or when you really find something you like.
Nikhilvm4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
My two cents - check if the warranty is transferable. Else the primary reason behind buying the Hector will be lost. Do bear in mind that it is not a vehicle that can be serviced by roadside mechanics.
Warranty as well as Service Package is transferable. It is clearly mentioned in the Owners manual as well.
I myself got a Pre-owned hector and got it serviced 2 weeks back under service package bought by previos owner. ans also got a light changed under warranty.

Lateral upgrade dilemma - 2017 Creta to 2021 Hector-screenshot_2023092116312413_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg

Last edited by car-dent : 21st September 2023 at 16:33.
car-dent is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
- Are the financial numbers making sense? Valuation of both cars and am I paying the right price?
- Am I getting into an unnecessary upgrade just because there is a potentially good deal available?
Financially the used car route definitely makes a lot of sense. I, for myself upgraded from my single owner Baleno to a Safari Storme (used) recently.
And from my bitter sweet experience all I can say is - if you have seen the car all its life and know how it has been managed, go for it. If the car looks very well maintained, yet you are not sure of its background, skip it without blinking an eye. When I bought the Safari, it was really well maintained and I got it checked with the dealer as well as a local mechanic and both of them gave a thumbs up. But soon I was bogged down my niggles and other issues including a major one recently (its on TBhp). However, this was primarily because I had never seen the vehicle since it rolled out of the showroom, because my few friends with their singly owned Stormes are having memories of a lifetime.
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:38   #21
BHPian

Diesel Creta to Petrol Hector

Whats Good:

1. The math you have put together is too good to resist. Hector is a good upgrade from a Creta in every aspect. With the current rate of increase in car prices, the new Creta will surely be around 30lacs on road in 3-4 years of time.

2. With Hector, you get a wonderful cabin with unmatched space. The interior look and feel is premium.

3. The Infinity sound system is from couple of segments above.

4. The Hector is an effortless cruiser. Long journeys are fun.

5. The Hector has proved itself to be a reliable car and the after sales service is also good. So if the car in question is kept well, then you can expect a fuss free ownership experience.

What may not be so Good:

1. Coming from a Diesel Creta, you might find the driving experience a little underwhelming. Its not the power that you will miss, but the low end torque of the diesel will surely be missed.

2. If you have a heavy right foot, expect the fuel economy to go down drastically. Hector is not a car you drive hard. It builds momentum gradually and is tuned for comfort.

3. Parking in a tight spot or making U-turns will take some effort to get used to.

As you have already planned, take a few test drives in new Hector CVT (MG dealers are quite happy to provide longish test drives) and also take a test drive of the Hector you are interested in. If you are happy with how it drives, you'll surely be happy with everything else in the Hector.

PS: I am HAPPY Hector 2021 CVT owner
TheVegabond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 18:47   #22
BHPian

Expecting 8-10 L for your diesel Creta is a bit too optimistic. I also have 2017 Creta petrol manual and max I am getting for it is 6.8 - 7 L. A known person had recently sold off their 2017 Creta SX petrol AT for around 7 L and their car was in pristine condition with around 50k clicks on the odo. Do check your car’s value first and then decide.
speedfreak01 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 23:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
It was then, when i came across a Hector Diesel 2021 Sharp with just about 19-20k kms on odo through a friend. The owner was leaving the country and thw car was impeccably maintained with 5 yrs warranty and 5years maintenance package. It was the just the car i wanted and at quite a sweet price point. ..

I especially love the infinity Music system and Ventilated seats.
The thing with Good Preowned deals is that you need to make a decision when the opoortunity is there, because you may not get one when you actually want one actively.
Also, do consider to negotiate better , i see a lot of Hectors online for sale today esp CVTs so the demand is not as high as supply. Ask the owner what the aggregators are paying him and offer to pay slighlty more than that to make it beneficial to both. Thats what i did. Although i dont exactly know how much he was offered, As far as i know i paid him substantially more than spinny were paying but still got a very sweet deal. I haven't seen any 2021 Hector listed even close to that price yet anywhere online.
For a moment I was worried you bought the same car I was looking at, or maybe its a common scam the one I'm eyeing is in the same colour and specification except its Petrol CVT and not diesel. But while we are on that, did the 2021 Hector Plus come with ventilated seats? Or is it that only diesel variant had ventilated seats?

Congrats on your purchase and wish you many miles
Thanks for the negotiation tips, I had the same thing in my mind. If I undercut the aggregators, the seller will just block me so I need to be just above them to make it worthwhile for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Financially the used car route definitely makes a lot of sense. I, for myself upgraded from my single owner Baleno to a Safari Storme (used) recently.
And from my bitter sweet experience all I can say is - if you have seen the car all its life and know how it has been managed, go for it.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I haven't seen the car all its life but can vouch through a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
If you are happy with how it drives, you'll surely be happy with everything else in the Hector.

PS: I am HAPPY Hector 2021 CVT owner
Thank you so much, the tips are helpful. We have a petrol CVT i20 and a petrol Creta DCT in family garage that I've had a chance to drive at several occasions. I can feel the low end torque difference as I write this but to be honest I don't see diesel cars having a future in personal car segment so that switch has to be made someday if not today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Expecting 8-10 L for your diesel Creta is a bit too optimistic. I also have 2017 Creta petrol manual and max I am getting for it is 6.8 - 7 L. A known person had recently sold off their 2017 Creta SX petrol AT for around 7 L and their car was in pristine condition with around 50k clicks on the odo. Do check your car’s value first and then decide.
Thanks for your insight. I think petrol/ diesel Creta did have an approx 200,000 difference at the time of buying as well. I'm not saying it applies during resale as well but it might have some leverage. I'm hoping 8L on the lower side but I do see similar vehicles listed above 9.25L on local websites. Discounting it down I think 8L is reasonable while selling to aggregators and 9-9.5L if I sell directly.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 07:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Discounting it down I think 8L is reasonable while selling to aggregators and 9-9.5L if I sell directly.
Off topic, but you should post your creta on the bhpian's cars for sale thread.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
did the 2021 Hector Plus come with ventilated seats? Or is it that only diesel variant had ventilated seats?

Congrats on your purchase and wish you many miles
Thanks for the negotiation tips, I had the same thing in my mind. If I undercut the aggregators, the seller will just block me so I need to be just above them to make it worthwhile for everyone.
Ventilated seats are present in all top spec varinats since 2021 irrespective of Fuel/Seats. There were a few features that were updated in 2021 like ventilated seats, wireless charger, Auto Dimming IRVM, larger 18inch wheels, and a black biege interior theme (In case of 5 seater. Plus variants have another colour scheme i believe)
car-dent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians, I'm currently driving a 2017 Creta SX AT Diesel with the ODO reading 56,000kms. I'm currently based in National Capital Region which caps the life of diesel cars at 10 years, which means my car is due for a replacement in 2027, or about 3.5 years from now.
The original plan was to replace this one with a similar car towards end of 2026.
I suggest you overcome this temptation and stick to your original plan, perhaps you`d get a better vehicle given your affordability may also increase. Right now your judgement on this matter maybe clouded by the availability of this supposedly lucrative deal. Your existing vehicle is very less used as is, it would be wasteful to give it away.

Besides, you are trading the best crossover of its time for another vehicle that isn't as well accomplished, CVT that too, please skip.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 00:24   #27
BHPian

Quick update - I spoke with the seller today to fix a meeting tomorrow. He told me he has a deal from a car dealer who might close tomorrow. We spoke a bit, he didn't seem very happy with the price being offered. I'm going to meet him in person tomorrow to look at the car and make up my mind. All options are open at the moment.
Old 23rd September 2023, 17:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm going to meet him in person tomorrow.
Point to be highlighted while negotiating.

MG Hector & Hector Plus prices reduced by up to Rs 1.37 lakh

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/mg-hec...ed-rs-137-lakh
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 10:53   #29
BHPian

Update 02: Met the seller yesterday, saw and drove the car. Everything checks out so far, the car is very well maintained, drives like it should. Compared to diesel Creta, the low end torque is a miss but I didn't find Hector's drive unpleasant. I'm not into explosive pick ups or ramming through open roads so I drove the Hector like I'd normally drive any other car and didn't find any issues with the drive.

The positives after meet and drive:
- The seller seems genuine and sincere. Appears that the car is maintained with love and care. Car is good as new, no directly visible scratches, dents, use marks on interiors. Some panels still have the original plastic cover.
- Ingress is significantly easier. Although the car has a foot board but it seemed that ingress is easier without the foot board too despite the GC being very similar to Creta
- The cabin look and feel is an upgrade for the driver, co-driver and rear seat passengers. The leather seats and leather fittings across the dashboard is very comfortable. The windows are lower making the cabin bright, sunroof adds to it.
- Overall creature comforts. The keyless entry button is on both front doors, which is such a miss in my Creta. Its a small thing but adds a lot of value to my day to day usage. Other features like electric tail gate, electric parking, auto hold, ventilated seats, 360 camera when used in person seemed to be value adds on day to day basis.

The not so positives:
- Bigger car, more liability while maneuvering. The 360 camera is a big hazy. I could be wrong but the guidance is only for the rear so one needs to be manually aware if the front bumper corners aren't nearing an obstacle.
- Power to weight ratio. I personally didn't feel an issue during my short drive but it seems to be a common complaint. I subconsciously was looking for signs of this.
- The mileage seems to be common complaint. Its not a complaint right now but if the running increases after a few years due to a job change? I understand this is very subjective and not giving it a lot of thought.

On the price, the seller opened his cards. He showed me his best proposal yet and asked to top it up if I want to close the deal. The amount is very close to my budget mentioned in the initial/ opening post. Yet I requested time to discuss with family.

The status right now is that the seller has put other buyers on hold and is following up with me to close or cancel the deal; to that extent he is requesting me to make a token deposit. The deposit is contingent to service records and FNG check being clean. As for me, I'm visiting MG dealership today to compare my experience with a brand new Hector to see what am I gaining and/ or missing by paying 7-8 lakhs less

Strongly preferring to conclude it unless something comes up in the dealership visit!

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 24th September 2023 at 10:56.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 09:52   #30
BHPian

Update 03: closed the deal at 16.40 lakhs contingent to dealer and FNG checks getting through without major past or required repairs. The checks are scheduled today and some paperwork tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Lateral upgrade dilemma - 2017 Creta to 2021 Hector-whatsapp-image-20230924-11.03.49-pm.jpeg

Lateral upgrade dilemma - 2017 Creta to 2021 Hector-whatsapp-image-20230924-11.03.50-pm.jpeg
Nonstop-driver is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks