Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2023, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Choosing a small, automatic SUV for 15-lakhs

Petrol Brezza, as I had earlier mentioned, is my first choice.
I recently had a seat in the Fronx and it felt like a Baleno itself, so pretty much standard stuff.
Seeing the overall offering and design refresh, after a few mixed feelings about the new variant, I would wholeheartedly recommend Nexon DCT with maximum extended warranty as TaMo have really upped the game on this. Hopefully, they will improve the service aspect soon.
Old 3rd September 2023, 13:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Exter.
Quite an excellent package.
Looks great.
Superb visibility.
Comfy.
Well priced.
Brand new.
Full of kit.
Worth it.
Just my opinion after test driving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Choosing a small, automatic SUV for 15-lakhs-img_3657.jpeg  

Choosing a small, automatic SUV for 15-lakhs-img_3691.jpeg  

Old 3rd September 2023, 14:02   #18
BHPian

I would recommend a Sonet Diesel HTX AT. No other engine / gearbox combo will give this driving pleasure.

Smooth, powerful, silent engine mated to a butter smooth quick shifting TC Auto. This car will make you keep giving excuses to take it out again and again. The car is equally good for City as well as long drives. Decent average and loaded to the gill with tech are the icing and cherry on the cake.

I have used this for three years befor upgrading to a Tucson and would recommend it any day.
Old 3rd September 2023, 15:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post

Please could someone suggest the best buy for these specs? Thanks
Would suggest either the Sonet HTX P DCT (13.8L OTR) or the GTX Plus DCT (15.7L OTR). That said, Sonet facelift is just around the corner, and if you can afford to wait, do wait for it.

Else the current Sonet (with facelift nearer), will have lesser wait time, and you will get a quicker delivery.
Old 3rd September 2023, 15:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Would suggest either the Sonet HTX P DCT (13.8L OTR) or the GTX Plus DCT (15.7L OTR). That said, Sonet facelift is just around the corner, and if you can afford to wait, do wait for it.

Else the current Sonet (with facelift nearer), will have lesser wait time, and you will get a quicker delivery.
Better to work out a discount since facelift is on the way.

Last edited by SixPistons : 3rd September 2023 at 15:49.
SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 17:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
Hello
Please could someone suggest the best buy for these specs? Thanks
The exact car to your wife's liking just got launched. Red Nexon facelift with DCT will be your best bet.

The top model and one below top both are feature loaded. You can book the car tomorrow. The price reveal will happen on 14th Sep
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 22:47   #22
BHPian

Was in your shoes about a year back. Almost exact.

Here’s my process of elimination.

Didn’t want a DCT, too many horror stories. The new diesels have their own scary tales but those are far and few.

Kiger looks like a kwid on steroids. Magnate felt appealing. But both have iffy quality.

Venue was out because of the DCT.

Brezza facelift was not yet launched. The older model was well past its sell by date.

So I settled in on the Sonet and even though usage is less I went with the diesel because I didn’t want a DCT.

Is it perfect, probably not. The ride is harsh. Venue is much better. Seats are decent at best but nonetheless on par with or better than the competition. But don’t expect The engine gearbox combo is absolutely brilliant. We already had the same combo in our Creta. No complaints. ATs are not perfect but the reliability wins me over each time. Third AT in the family. Fabulous power. Very very satisfying torque.
Also The peace of mind on account of general reliability is unquestionable. It’s our third hyundai group vehicle.
The fit finish and gadgetry is top class.
So if you are ok with diesel, go with the HTX D AT. It will probably be just above your budget on road. Take the extended warranty. Take the 5 year (I think) service pack. Cost me some 28k IIRC.

The wife is happy. It’s a fuss free vehicle. Does about 14 kmpl in city. Not that it matter since she really does very little kms. I take it out occasionally to flog it a bit (also because I’m worried of clogging the filter). When I do that I fill her to the brim and that’s nearly a month of no botheration.

What I would have changed:
A. White seats. Stupid.
B. Hyundai/Kia cannot get their ride right. One has prodigious body roll and the other is harsh as an ST bus.
C. I wish it has front sensors.

But other than the above it checked all the boxes.
Fully recommended.

Footnote: The wife didn’t want a Maruti. But I personally think the new Brezza is very interesting. Maruti’s AT is a little anemic but very much something that you can live with. Petrol ATs however are generally guzzlers irrespective of what reports say.
Old 3rd September 2023, 23:45   #23
BHPian

You really can't go wrong with any car in this segment.

Get Brezza if you need good mileage and good service backup for peace of mind.
Get new Nexon if you want safety and a feature loaded vehicle.
Get Sonet D AT if you want diesel automatic. This car is fun and frugal.
If you are on budget, get Magnite AT. On the contrary, if budget is open, you can even jump to Creta or Seltos IVT.

This is one of the most fulfilling segment with lots of options. My suggestion will be to analyze the use case and pick the one which matches your use case the best fit.

Personally, keeping in view your description of use case, I will lean towards Nexon, Sonet, Brezza in the listed sequence. Good luck and keep us updated with your decision!!!
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 00:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post
Was in your shoes about a year back. Almost exact.

Here’s my process of elimination.
Didn’t want a DCT, too many horror stories. The new diesels have their own scary tales but those are far and few.
Kiger looks like a kwid on steroids. Magnate felt appealing. But both have iffy quality.
Venue was out because of the DCT.
Brezza facelift was not yet launched. The older model was well past its sell by date.

So I settled in on the Sonet and even though usage is less I went with the diesel because I didn’t want a DCT.

Is it perfect, probably not. The ride is harsh. Venue is much better.

What I would have changed:
A. White seats. Stupid.
B. Hyundai/Kia cannot get their ride right. One has prodigious body roll and the other is harsh as an ST bus.
C. I wish it has front sensors.

For reasons above and more, my suggested Top 2:
1. Brezza AT
2. Nexon DCT.

Between the two, the just-revealed new Nexon will be more eye candy and better features package (especially with Creative+ or higher). Red looks especially good on this car. But the new Nexon comes with much tech that's new to the car. The nexon DCT is supposed to be a reliable design but is untested in the hand of real buyers. One thing we have learnt the hard way is not to trust Tata Motors with version 1 of any vehicle or major tech upgrade.

So, if you want to buy the car this year, Brezza it is - IF you can get a firm delivery date commitment or look for a cancellation. Brezza AT is a smooth performer.

If you don't mind a raised height crossover, you can also do a test drive of the Fronx AT. A problem with the Fronx is that the lower end Delta 1.2 comes with AMT. The Zeta and Alpha 1.0 turbo come with a proper torque converter, but then you are paying Brezza money (or more!) and it makes sense to get the Brezza instead, in my view. Personally, I prefer Brezza's 1.5L engine and seating position. Their interiors are similar anyway.

For anyone willing to wait 6-12 months, it will be useful to see real life experience with the new Nexon petrol DCT. Let the niggles be found and fixed first. The Nexon nameplate has a following now, and the much-awaited feature additions will ensure good sales anyway.
guptad42 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks