Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2023, 15:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

My 2 car garage - Upgrade confusion & Jimny craving! EDIT: Booked the Jimny Alpha AT!

My garage today consists of 2 cars:

My car : Ford Ecosport S TDCI (Wolf Stage 1+ remapped)
2018, 65k km run

Wife's car : Suzuki Alto K10 AMT
2018, 26k km run

Both cars are 5 years old, in perfect condition and I foresee no major problems coming up.

The Alto is wife's car and the city runabout and never sees the highway (apart from the highways running through the city) and hence the low running. Being a Maruti, there is no risk in keeping 'Lord Alto'.

The Ecosport is the primary car and Ford service has also been top notch (in fact I think it's gotten a little better here in Pune after they stopped retail !) and I don't see it as a problem for the next 4-5 years.

Then why this thread you might ask ?! - Well, it's the Jimny
There is something about the Jimny that tugs at the heart, and the inner child in me is getting excited at the prospect of owning a 4x4, venturing into some casual off-roading on the weekends, the Leh / Spiti trail, etc. I've been on quite a few OTR's with friends with a Gypsy and more recently a Jeep Compass which was quite good fun.

The other reasons I am giving myself is since the Jimny will replace the Alto, it's a proper upgrade for wife and also safer, especially since we are expecting our little one later this year.

So what is stopping me with going ahead with this plan ?
Well, the other scenario is that we keep the Alto for city duties and upgrade the Ecosport to something under 25 Lakh so we have a proper 'premium' vehicle in the garage. For the record, the Ecosport has been flawless over the past 5 years with just regular service requirements. I love the drive experience (even better with the remap now) and the negatives of space and the stiff suspension are not deal breakers for me.
The points in favour of this scenario are;
  • The Jimny craving is just a passing fad !
  • We will need the space of a bigger car once the baby arrives ?
  • A nicer ride than the stiff Ecosport
  • Of course the Ford situation with the service / spares situation bound to deteriorate with time
The biggest problem here is that no vehicle under 25Lakh really appeals to the heart which I see as a proper 'drivers car' upgrade to the Ecosport. The one that appealed to the heart - The Compass is now out of reach.
  • The VW-Skoda twins are not a real upgrade, especially for the price. My biggest gain will be power with the 1.5TSI but I'm content with my Wolf remap (running ~130hp, 295Nm) and the amazing diesel FE
  • The Koreans, especially the Seltos is a brilliant package but I'm not a Hyundai - Kia guy (yes I have a bias !)
  • The Maruti-Toyota sisters are just too underpowered & bland to replace an Ecosport diesel
  • That leaves me with the Harrier / XUV700 which honestly is just too big for us and my heart isn't really pulling me toward them if you know what I mean !

So this brings me to my predicament - Replace the Alto with the Jimny and have 2 sub 4m cars in my garage. The Jimny will stay as the permanent 2nd car for a lonnnnng time OR keep the Alto for a lonnng time and replace the Ecosport with a ~25Lakh replacement that will give the same smiles per drive

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 17th August 2023 at 15:03.
fiat_tarun is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 15:17   #2
BHPian

re: My 2 car garage - Upgrade confusion & Jimny craving! EDIT: Booked the Jimny Alpha AT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Both cars are 5 years old, in perfect condition and I foresee no major problems coming up.
I am aware of this itch But honestly, this one sentence of yours pretty much sums up the situation you are in - You have a want and not a need, at least for now.

This coupled with all the changing technology / infrastructure ( Hybrids, BS 6 Diesels, EVs ) will not be a wise decision to give in to that itch.

Both the cars you have are known for their reliability and fill it, shut it forget it. So, I believe you need to retain these unless you have a "need".

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd August 2023 at 09:42. Reason: Minor inadvertent typo —> Flipped ‘need’ and ‘want’ in first para as per the intended meaning.
Sk8r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 15:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: My 2 car garage - Upgrade confusion & Jimny craving!

Quote:
The biggest problem here is that no vehicle under 25Lakh really appeals to the heart which I see as a proper 'drivers car' upgrade to the Ecosport.

Thats because you have kept two doors closed
1. Used car route
2. Sedan options

A lot of good cars will become a possibility with these two segments!!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 19:22   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: My 2 car garage - Upgrade confusion & Jimny craving! EDIT: Booked the Jimny Alpha AT!

Go for it, Tarun . Pull the trigger & get the Jimny home. I would anyday have a 2-car garage with an EcoSport + Jimny (both excellent cars), rather than a 25-lakh car + Alto. The Alto is too bare & basic, and has an AMT which I personally hate.

The Jimny is the kind of car that will make you smile. This breed punches way above its weight in terms of the "feel-good" factor. For more of this preaching, check the ownership review of my own 4x4 out. A BHPian who owns an S-Class & a Porsche 911 seems to be having a blast in his Jimny. The Jimny will make you laugh, giggle & provide you sheer joy. All backed by Maruti's dependable reliability & service. It also has a smooth AT, 4 doors & isn't bumpy, unlike other offroaders. A rare enthusiast car that appeals to the head as well as heart.

Get a Jimny and start modifying it. Don't worry about Ford etc. The EcoSport is a fantastic car and has sold in such high volumes that there will be ample spare parts support for it in the market (even without Ford).

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2023 at 19:24.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 19:52   #5
BHPian

Hi, if you are planning to keep Jimny as the mainstay I would recommend that you take a longish test drive along with your wife especially in the route that you regularly take, only after that you should come to a conclusion. But if it is going to be a secondary drive only for fun then simply follow your heart and take the plunge.
Kkumar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 20:26   #6

The Jimny AT is ideal then as a second car at home to OTR over the weekends and for your wife too as an easy-to-drive urban compact SUV. It may lack the torque that you are used to with the diesels you own and have owned. But there's nothing like the Jimny today (compact 5-door 4x4) and probably no rival too for the next couple of years or decades ! The fact that it's always sold out across the world is enough proof. Besides, we get theore practical version in India.

However, the Ford will eventually have to be replaced in a few years and you have time to decide on the right vehicle that way. So, if I was you, I'd get the Jimny now and then wait and replace it with a premium SUV in a few years, by then there may be a machine that matches Paprika's heart appealing character!
halley is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 21:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

I’m going to go against the tide here a bit and purely because you have a baby coming on the way. I’d say go for the XUV 7OO as your 25L upgrade car - sacrifice the Alto for it and let the Ecosport fill the Alto’s current role.

This way you’ll have a powerful, super comfortable and safe car for your family - one that can take some adventurous trips too and even the Alto in which you might do city runabouts - sometimes with a baby - will be substituted by the relatively safer Ecosport.

Small babies also increase your luggage requirements when doing road trips so the extra internal footprint of the XUV will check that box too.

The Jimny can always follow suit in a few years when its time to replace the Ecosport, perhaps even a sparingly used one from someone who may want to sell early. These super niche cars often hit the used car market within a couple of years when some buyers realise it wasn’t really fit for them once they live with it.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th August 2023 at 21:45.
Axe77 is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 23:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for all responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
- You have a need and not a want, at least for now.

This coupled with all the changing technology / infrastructure ( Hybrids, BS 6 Diesels, EVs ) will not be a wise decision to give in to that itch.
Oh yes, this is definitely a want and not a need, but then a lot to life is about satisfying the wants no ?

The changing landscape is a factor and the Jimny being a petrol is an advantage with potential 'diesel bans' in other cities as well in the future. I personally don't see EV'S becoming mainstream till beyond 2030, so not thinking down that route at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Thats because you have kept two doors closed
1. Used car route
2. Sedan options

A lot of good cars will become a possibility with these two segments!!
I agree about the sedan part and the Virtus is something that really stands out. The used car scene is however not for me, as we have had a bad experience in the past in the family and unless it's a known car personally I'm not comfortable going down that route. Prices today are also quite ridiculous, even for used cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Go for it, Tarun . Pull the trigger & get the Jimny home. I would anyday have a 2-car garage with an EcoSport + Jimny (both excellent cars), rather than a 25-lakh car + Alto. The Alto is too bare & basic, and has an AMT which I personally hate.

You have really typed out what the heart is saying. I have seen your Thar thread and must say it looks amazing with the mods, especially those wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkumar View Post
Hi, if you are planning to keep Jimny as the mainstay I would recommend that you take a longish test drive along with your wife especially in the route that you regularly take, only after that you should come to a conclusion. But if it is going to be a secondary drive only for fun then simply follow your heart and take the plunge.
Yes, if it's the Jimny it'll be the second car with the Ecosport still being the highway choice unless it's towards 4x4 territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halley View Post
The Jimny AT is ideal then as a second car at home to OTR over the weekends and for your wife too as an easy-to-drive urban compact SUV....
Halley my friend, good to see you on the forum and look forward to you getting your Jimny soon as well to join your Ford ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I’m going to go against the tide here a bit and purely because you have a baby coming on the way. I’d say go for the XUV 7OO as your 25L upgrade car - sacrifice the Alto for it and let the Ecosport fill the Alto’s current role.

The catch here is that wife doesn't drive a manual so she won't drive the Ecosport and the more important part is to be able to afford the XUV 700 I'll need to sell the Ecosport.

So to take this forward, wife has now agreed to come along for a test drive of the Jimny. Let's see how this goes !
fiat_tarun is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 07:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I will also add to what our other friends are saying.
Buy a Jimny.
You will have given free rein to your own ‘inner child’ as you said. And that will make you happy. There is no substitute for happiness.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 07:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

You never need a Jimny, you want it. And you most certainly do.

Get the Jimny. It’s a huge step up for the wife, and will keep you happy as well. Far superior ride quality than Alto, and it is spacious enough for the 3 of you + all the paraphernalia a baby needs. Just make sure she is comfortable with the non height adjustable driver’s seat.

Upgrading the Ecosport will be far trickier. They don’t make cars like that anymore, unfortunately. The closest like for like replacement is the Jeep Compass. Everything else is either nowhere as nice to drive or two sizes too big. And costs big money, either way. So, let’s leave that for another day.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 08:26   #11
BHPian

Jimny will be a great buy. My wife took the test drive on AT and really liked it.
++ Jimny offers isofix for the baby car seat. Though others cars do so too.
asingh1977 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 08:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Sell alto, buy jimny now.

Sell ecosport in 3-5 years and maybe look at used luxo-barge then.

Congrats on the Jimny. What color ;-)
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 09:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep a good highway car - that's safe, comfortable and fun to drive. Ecosport is a very good car. Don't get carried away by the bling or horsepower and waste your money on cars that don't drive as well as Ecosport. Manufactures are getting really clever at packaging and window dressing cars without a soul. It would be better to hold on to your Ecosport till you find the right car as an upgrade/replacement instead of rushing the decision.

Jimny is a niche expensive car and in my very honest opinion, makes sense only to:
1. city dwellers who are romantic/passionate about a car of this category willing to put up with it as a daily driver.
2. folks in rural/hilly areas that need a 4x4
3. folks looking to add a hobby/weekend car to an already well stocked garage

At the moment, there is too much hype going on about Jimny and it's better to avoid any impulsive purchase. If you are not one of #2 or #3 above, sleep on it for few months and see if you still feel so strongly about buying it.
androdev is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 09:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

From someone who's just had a baby in the last quarter, hold on to this decision and visit it 3-6 months after the baby is here. Reason being - you won't get time to enjoy your new car; irrespective if it's a 25L car or the 'fun' Jimmy. The good part about this delay - you'll be able to give sufficient time to reconfirm if the Jimmy is a 'fad' want or it really is required.

On a side note, I'm sure you are reconfirming your finances (if it's a constraint) as your expenses will also go up once the new family member is here.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th August 2023 at 09:20.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 09:51   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wife's car : Suzuki Alto K10 AMT
.... it's a proper upgrade for wife and also safer.....
The fact that your Alto is AMT and that you are looking to buy the Jimny for your wife for short city use is enough justification Tarun!

This is exactly the conundrum I'm in. I so much want to buy my wife the Jimny AT and she loves it too.. It's the perfect wife car. Small, Good Visibility, Safe, AT, Maruti, Fiber flares... the list goes on.

The best part is you can take it away for a weekend for some good 4x4 Fun. Even she can have the 4x4 fun!
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks