Force Gurkha 26 6.70%
Another 4x4 / AWD (please mention in your post) 20 5.15%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2023, 16:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others

Ask yourself do you want your 4x4 Coffee in Small Medium or Large size

For the majority, Medium is the safe bet.
vellatechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 16:46   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

1. The 1.5l D15 diesel engine from Mahindra in the Jimny 5D. All other things remain the same. Also 6 speed manual and automatic transmission.

2. The Jimny in the size of the Gurkha with the powertrains/drivetrains of Thar.

The above two choices, if wishes were horses.

But back to reality, the choice would have been unequivocally Jimny. But with the current overpriced by 2 lakhs pricing, find it hard to choose Jimny. Not because of the Thar or Gurkha, but because of a dark horse. The ScorpioN Z4 4WD.

So choice is Another 4x4/AWD- the ScorpioN 4WD. With the Grand Vitara looming in the horizon. That said, if I was a serious really off-roading junkie, then nothing like the Gurkha.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 02:09   #33
BHPian

Well this is a tough one.

None of the 3 in their present iterations/new.

If I have to buy new, it'd be upcoming Thar Petrol AT 4x2 in 5 seater config, but it doesn't pass the value quotient question. I have a soft corner for the Gurkha plus it doesn't have the AdBlue issues so I could get a pre-owned one after half a decade.

If Mahindra could do a hybrid or all electric Thar (blasphemy you must be thinking! But if they can do a 4x2 Thar, why not do an EV for those like me who will only get it for the street cred) I'd definitely get that over the petrol and buy it new.
Old 13th June 2023, 07:19   #34
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Well this is a tough one.

None of the 3 in their present iterations/new.

If I have to buy new, it'd be upcoming Thar Petrol AT 4x2 in 5 seater config
Yes. Waiting for the 5 door Thar rather 'impatiently' now that the launch looks more than a year away.

I just hope the 5 door is noticeably more comfortable. I have seen the 2 door Thars that seem to move their whole body forward while breaking suddenly, almost as if it would leap leaving the wheels behind. That I dont like...

Last edited by vij : 13th June 2023 at 07:21.
Old 13th June 2023, 09:22   #35

A comfortable (you can also read: creature comfort/features), go anywhere vehicle and all in a reasonable price point. The SCORPIO_N starts to make a very strong case for itself and the best part: you can be far more comfortable here, with your close ones: on the road at triple digit speed and with them where there's no road!

I am still unsure about it looks but that is my only gripe with it. Otherwise the compact nature and ease is pushing me towards the Jimny.
Old 5th November 2023, 16:37   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Thar emerges the winner in the Thar versus Jimny race during the June-October 2023 period. Mahindra Thar outsold the Jimny by above 80%, so the pre-launch phobia about Jimny toppling Thar is passe at least for now. Even later, nothing would possibly change as these sales figures also include those, due to the Jimny's new launch euphoria . The Jimny's overall dimensions and looks are not imposing as is expected of an MUV or mini SUV. Even the Creta class of mini SUV's owing to their road presence, score over the Jimny. The Jimny is still in search of its identity it appears, in the marketplace. MSIL has delayed its launch, procrastinating since more than a decade. Now the Jimny finds that every other popular mini SUV is more imposing in the looks department and also outselling it. And sadly, they don't and cannot (MSIL policy decision) have a diesel powerplant to offer. More than a decade ago, when the diesel powerplant was a darling of the buyers, the Jimny could have come and conquered the market. It was not an early bird to get the worm.

It's also a fact that despite the niggles some Thar owners have faced and the recent features' haircut that Mahindra forced upon the Thar, buyers have extra faith in the age old Mahindra DNA that the Thar boasts of, and are buying it.

India Today has revealed the sales figures in this news:-

Quote:
There was once a lot of talk about the rivalry between the Maruti Suzuki Jimny and the Mahindra Thar. However, looking at the volumes of the two sport utility vehicles (SUVs) now, that rivalry seems to be waning!

In October, Jimny clocked domestic wholesale despatches of 1,852 units. In comparison, the Thar was miles ahead at 5,593 units.

Maruti Suzuki India sold 14,456 units of the Jimny during the period from June to October. The vehicle was launched in June. Mahindra & Mahindra sold 26,125 units of Thar in the June-October period.
The link:-

https://www.indiatoday.in/auto/cars/...826-2023-11-03
Old 28th November 2023, 21:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Let me start off by saying I am VERY HAPPY to see 3 amazing choices of offroaders under 20-lakhs.
======
- I love the Gurkha's styling, mighty presence, offroad capability, Mercedes-esque face etc. But it doesn't have an AT nor a turbo-petrol, is much slower than the Thar, its service network is too tiny, no convertible soft-top, no crash test rating. As handsome as the exterior styling is, the interior looks like it's lifted from a 1997 Tempo.
Jimny in manual form does 0-100 kph in under 11.5 seconds. It is as quick as a petrol thar.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th November 2023 at 13:42. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for a short reply. Affects readability, especially on mobiles.
Old 29th November 2023, 10:40   #38
BHPian

Another 4x4 / AWD : Scorpio-N. Reason is most of the off roads can be done with this SUV easily and it offers comfort in 1st and 2nd rows, comes with 3rd row as well, which can become reasonably big boot when folded. Penta-link suspension with FSDs does make it superior to other off-roaders

peace
Old 29th November 2023, 10:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

I own a Thar and a Gypsy right now and I still voted for Jimny based on my back to back drives, a month ago or so. The Thar is wonderful in many ways as I have written multiple times and the Gypsy is the eternal icon. The Jimny I think, will be a real long term ‘keeper’ for one such as I, with vehicular requirements such as mine. It is just the perfect size and has all the desired capabilities for cities, hills, countryside and everything in between.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-img_3475.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-img_1247.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th November 2023 at 10:51.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 11:07   #40
BHPian

The Thar anytime!! I test drove the Jimny, not impressed at all.
Old 28th May 2024, 09:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Jimny because it had many advantages over Thar for me (points already covered in the opening post by OP). I wanted to upgrade from my Honda Brio MT. My main needs were a petrol engine, AT, small size, comfort for a family of four with two teenage kids, and a unique look. I test drove both Thar and Jimny. I liked the Jimny right away. I didn’t want another powerful, flashy car since I already have an X3. We travel to remote places with family. My experience is, flashy objects (X3, Fatboy) attract too much attention, so I wanted a low-profile vehicle. To the uninitiated, Jimny looks like a small Bolero from the front and fits in well with the surroundings .

After six months and six thousand kilometers, I am incredibly happy with my choice.

Cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 28th May 2024 at 09:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks