Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2023, 22:05   #1

Performance turbo-petrols | Skoda Kushaq 1.5L vs Kia Seltos 1.5L

Hi Guys,

I have been looking to buy a new mid-size SUV for quite some time now, and have made a booking (2 weeks back) for Skoda Kushaq 1.5 ltr MT Monte Carlo given the safety, engine performance and ride handling being best in the segment. However, with the launch of the new Hyundai/Kia 1.5ltr T-GDi engine, looks like Hyundai/Kia has closed that gap with Kushaq 1.5 at least on the engine performance front. The reviews of the new 1.5 T-GDi engine on Verna are also good. A few YouTubers also tested the new Verna 1.5 and Slavia 1.5 (same engine as Kushaq) with Verna winning quite comfortably in drag races. There are also rumours that the soon-to-be-launched Seltos facelift 2023 will have a better safety rating than the current model.

My priorities are in the following order:
  1. Safety(at least 4 star)
  2. Engine performance
  3. Ride handling

Given this, shall I wait for the Kia Seltos facelift launch or go ahead with the Kushaq?

Thank you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th May 2023 at 11:01. Reason: Minor spacing edits and fixing some caps.
dcoolnik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 07:41   #2
BHPian

re: Performance turbo-petrols | Skoda Kushaq 1.5L vs Kia Seltos 1.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolnik View Post
  2. Engine performance
  3. Ride handling
given this, Shall I wait for the Kia Seltos facelift launch or go ahead with the Kushaq?

Given your priorities, I am not so sure whether the new Seltos facelift would get higher than the 3 stars it scored previously in the GNCAP crash tests, however, engine performance would be much better in the 1.5 T-GDI and is worth looking out for.

Moreover, the Seltos and Creta are the most well-rounded cars in their budget as regards almost everything except the mediocre 3-star safety rating, so the facelift should ideally improve on the features front as well.

In my opinion, considering the launch is just a couple of months away, and with Skoda not in much demand, I think waiting for the Seltos would be a good option.
bijims is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 08:18   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Performance turbo-petrols | Skoda Kushaq 1.5L vs Kia Seltos 1.5L

If looking at performance, I'd agree with bijims. Best to wait as the Seltos 1.5L launch isn't too far away. Both the crossovers you are looking at are a load of fun-to-drive. As much fun as the Kushaq is, even the Seltos is dynamically sorted and a blast on the open road.

In the area of safety though, I'd trust Skoda over Kia. The Kushaq has scored 5-stars in the GNCAP & we have seen several customer attestments to the safety of VAG cars ever since the Polo's launch in India. On the other hand, even if Kia improves the safety rating of the Seltos, I doubt they'll get it retested by the GNCAP. It will lead to a lot of remorse from current Seltos owners. From the PR point of view, Kia would upset lakhs of existing Seltos owners.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 09:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The Verna 1.5 DCT is a genuinely quick car, no doubt. Seltos 1.5 will be just as quick as Kushaq. Kia’s cabin has always been far nicer and better equipped. But two things still remain to be seen.

1. Suspension tune. Kushaq suspension is best in class, while present Seltos is just too stiff. Kia might soften it a touch, make it similar to Creta. Still, Kushaq is better than Creta. Rides better, handles better, remains FLAT at speed.

2. Safety. Kushaq is best in class, again. Full 5 stars, backed by 6 years anti corrosion warranty and from a company which has a good record on safety. Do not expect any major changes in Seltos in this regard, for they are only launching a facelift. Structural changes are not expected.

If safety is an important agenda and you do a lot of highway running, I suggest you pick the Kushaq 1.5 DSG. From the priorities you listed, safety and suspension go to Skoda, while performance is more or less a draw.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th May 2023 at 09:11.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 09:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

1. Suspension tune. Kushaq suspension is best in class, while present Seltos is just too stiff. Kia might soften it a touch, make it similar to Creta. Still, Kushaq is better than Creta. Rides better, handles better, remains FLAT at speed.
IIRC, Kia had softened it's suspension a bit in the later iterations, guess from 2022 MY onwards. Though I owned one from 2019 to 2022, I've not driven the cars with retuned suspension.

Related thread :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5289416 (2022 Kia Seltos to get many updates, including new suspension tune)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 17th May 2023 at 09:12.
Old 17th May 2023, 09:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
IIRC, Kia had softened it's suspension a bit in the later iterations, guess from 2022 MY onwards. Though I owned one from 2019 to 2022, I've not driven the cars with retuned suspension.

Related thread :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5289416 (2022 Kia Seltos to get many updates, including new suspension tune)
Only a back to back drive of MY19 Seltos and MY22 car can reveal the exact change, and the condition of the suspension of the older car will also have to be factored in. Still Kushaq and Taigun remain the cars with the best suspensions in this class, as of now. I hope Kia closes this gap with the refreshed model.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 17:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolnik View Post
Hi Guys,

2. Engine performance
  3. Ride handling

Given this, shall I wait for the Kia Seltos facelift launch or go ahead with the Kushaq?

Thank you.
I can't comment much if the Seltos will better it's GNCAP score (neither do I trust GNCAP completely), but I guess they will be adding ADAS tech to the Seltos, which can be counted as a life saver as well. On performance front the 1.5 motor from Hyundia-Kia is indeed better, with better NVH as well.

Ride remains the VW-Skoda forte, but Seltos isn't far behind. On the handling front I liked the steering setup of the current Seltos more than Kushaq, it weighs up much better than Kushaq's. Hope they don't spoil this in facelift.

It's better to wait a few months and then decide. Anyways Kushaq isn't a hot seller, so you should get one quicker, if you finalize the Skoda.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 21:13   #8
BHPian

There are quite a number of factors to consider when choosing between these two - Kushaq 1.5 DSG vs Seltos 1.5 DCT and performance is not one among them. Both the engines are sorted for power and you won’t be left wanting during quick overtakes. There are no noticeable differences in power until you drive them side by side.

1) Don’t buy Kushaq DSG or Seltos DCT as a primary driver for your everyday chores. Dual clutch automatics have known reliability issues and I would against driving them in bumper to bumper traffic. But they are a joy on open highways.
2) Kushaq has driving dynamics sorted. It’s a very important factor as driving and handling relate to how enjoyable a car is, not just outright acceleration. Kushaq > Seltos
3) Suspension tune is a very subjective matter. Kushaq has a softer suspension and Seltos is a bit stiffer. Personally imma sucker for stiffer setups. So this a draw. Kushaq == Seltos
4) Safety. Now, this is easy: Kushaq > Seltos
5) Features wise the Seltos is loaded to the brim whereas Kushaq has all the essentials for the price point. Again, very subjective but giving it to the Seltos. Seltos > Kushaq
6) AC: Normally this wouldn’t warrant a separate pointer but the AC in all VAG 2.0 cars is so bad this deserves a special mention. My Virtus GT doesn’t cool fast enough and have to keep the temperature setting 2 degrees less that what I usually keep in my 10 year old i20. Hyundai has the AC mechanism sorted. Seltos > Kushaq
7) DSG vs DCT: Test drove the Hyundai Verna DCT last week and I must say I was seriously impressed and surprised at the same time. In moderate traffic the DCT felt smooth whereas a DSG usually jerks a bit. The above pointer might not sound big but it adds to the driving pleasure. But out on the highways the DSG wins because it upshifts and downshifts noticeably quicker. Again a draw I must say Kushaq == Seltos
8) Interiors and seat comfort are again personal choices.

Do an extensive TD of both cars. Forget the specs on paper and:
1) Take them around corners.
2) Floor the accelerator.
3) Do some overtakes.
4) Check low speed drivability.
5) Look for rattles and other strange noises.

Have fun racking your brain choosing which one to buy! ��

Cheers!
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 21:22   #9

Both Skoda Kushaq 1.5 and the upcoming Kia Seltos GT are hot picks, by looking at the performance of the 2023 Hyundai Verna’s new 1.5 Turbo Petrol engine we can assume that the upcoming 2023 Seltos GT might be quicker than the Kushaq 1.5. But I strongly believe it to be quicker only in a straight line (Drag race).

But the suspension setup, the steering response and driving dynamics of the Kushaq will still be unmatched and will be at par when compared with the upcoming Seltos GT.

Moreover the upcoming Kia Seltos May or May not score more than 3 stars as it’s still not tested so we can only assume it to score better. But the Skoda Kushaq has scored full 5 stars rating in GNCAP for both adult and child occupants.

So according to your priorities you should choose Skoda Kushaq 1.5 over the upcoming Kia Seltos for reasons as mentioned below:

1. Better safety rating (5 Stars).

2. Overall better driving dynamics.

3. Tank-like built quality.

Reasons for choosing the upcoming 2023 Seltos GT over the Skoda Kushaq 1.5 are:

1. Punchier 1.5 Turbo Petrol engine. (As per Verna’s
review).

2. Better Reliability and A.s.s than Skoda.

3. More Bling due to flashy yet classy looks inside
out. (Though subjective)

As per my understanding the Skoda Kushaq 1.5 fully meets your requirements and you should go ahead with it.

Regards.
Old 19th May 2024, 01:16   #10

I own a Kushaq 1.5 which I bought on August 2023. So far I have made good amount of trips and can definitely say the car is a beast. The power and confidence you get when revving the engine is completely different. I liked the dynamics and performance a lot. Overall the vehicle will not put you down especially for car enthusiasts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks