Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2023, 18:06   #1

Should I buy a 2023 Kia Seltos GTX 1.4L Turbo DCT? It's a BS6 Phase 1 discontinued engine

I am currently on the hunt to upgrade from my 10 years old Hyundai i10 and focusing only on Petrol Automatic variants.

I recently visited a KIA showroom near me and was also offered the Seltos GTX 1.4 Turbo DCT. Although KIA is not offerring this variant officially, when I enquired, the SA said, they have one manufactured in 2023 and are ready to offer it.

Would it be prudent to go ahead with this variant? If I do go ahead, should I anticipate any hurdles in registration since the vehicle is manufactured before the BS6 Ph-2 kicked in, but registered later?

Under other circumstances, I would not have considered this variant, but I could get a short TD of both the 1.4T DCT and 1.5 NA IVT variants. And compared to the 1.5 NA engine, the 1.4 was amazing!
deshmumn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 21:15   #2
BANNED

re: Should I buy a 2023 Kia Seltos GTX 1.4L Turbo DCT? It's a BS6 Phase 1 discontinued engine

The Kia Seltos GTX 1.4 is a discontinued engine.
Additonally it is neither E20 or RDE compliant. You
may even get a discount as it’s discontinued. However, as its not E20 compliant, the new E20 diet will do harm to the engine internals.

My suggestion would be to give it a pass and wait for the 1.5 turbo that should be launched shortly.
wheelnpaddock is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 21:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Should I buy a 2023 Kia Seltos GTX 1.4L Turbo DCT? It's a BS6 Phase 1 discontinued engine

From what I understand, the Apr-23 timeline is for new cars off the assembly line effective 1st April, not a deadline for selling existing stock. So registration wise, you would be fine.
fhdowntheline is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 22:33   #4
BHPian

I am waiting for the 1.5 turbo from the Verna to be incorporated into Seltos or Creta
Old 1st May 2023, 23:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I am waiting for the 1.5 turbo from the Verna to be incorporated into Seltos or Creta
Any idea when is that going to happen? When I enquired, both Hyundai and Kia SAs had no clue. I don’t think it’s going to happen any soon. And for sure they’ll bump their prices!!
Old 1st May 2023, 23:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshmumn View Post
I am currently on the hunt to upgrade from my 10 years old Hyundai i10 and focusing only on Petrol Automatic variants.

I recently visited a KIA showroom near me and was also offered the Seltos GTX 1.4 Turbo DCT. Although KIA is not offerring this variant officially, when I enquired, the SA said, they have one manufactured in 2023 and are ready to offer it.
Registration is not an issue for BS6 phase 2. But note that the Seltos facelift is undergoing road tests extensively and should be launched any time soon. If I were in your position, I would take the current gen IF I needed the car ASAP or I am getting a good discount. Else I would pre-book and wait for the facelift at the risk of a price hike.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 01:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea when is that going to happen? When I enquired, both Hyundai and Kia SAs had no clue. I don’t think it’s going to happen any soon. And for sure they’ll bump their prices!!
and, not to forget, the 1.5 turbo is E20 compliant...
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 02:56   #8
BHPian

You will get a good discount if you negotiate hard. Or you can wait for the envitable Seltos facelift with the new engine.
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:56   #9
BHPian

Suggest that you wait for the facelift, which is just around the corner unless the discounts are mouth watering. The facelift will have a new engine and along with several cosmetic changes. Really hoping that Kia has also worked on the safety aspect as well, but looks doubtful.
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 13:33   #10
BHPian

I would say, if you like it, you can go ahead with the 1.4L turbo. DCT is altogether a different problem, but the focus here seems to be on the engine front.

This is not RDE compliant/E20 compliant. But so are millions of cars in the country. Not like these cars are going to be scrapped. E20 fuel will be available as an option, like the higher octane/cetane fuels.

Do remember that 1.4L turbo is an international engine as opposed to the newer locally made 1.5L turbo. Meaning, it has been tested so much across models, across countries. The newer 1.5L, being new, doesn't have testimonies on the reliability front. Also, if at all, a 1.5L turbo is available internationally, this locally made one may not be an exact replica. So, i recommend you to go with the proven 1.4L.
Benoit is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:15   #11
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a 2023 Kia Seltos GTX 1.4L Turbo DCT? It's a BS6 Phase 1 discontinued engine

Take the deal - try to get as much of a discount as possible. With BS2 to BS4 vehicles still on road and being re-registered without issues as the time comes, we can imagine BS6 ph-1 will be safe at least till the end of its 15-year initial registration.
Pennant1970 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 10:32   #12
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a 2023 Kia Seltos GTX 1.4L Turbo DCT? It's a BS6 Phase 1 discontinued engine

Officially this vehicle cannot be registered as a new. Possibilities are high that this car is already registered on the Dealers name. So when you buy it, it will considered as a Second Hand Purchase on Papers.
Old 4th May 2023, 10:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
Officially this vehicle cannot be registered as a new. Possibilities are high that this car is already registered on the Dealers name. So when you buy it, it will considered as a Second Hand Purchase on Papers.
I do not think registration is an issue. I spoke with a few car dealers who were offering discounts on BS6 cars. The March 31st deadline on BS6.2 was only for manufacturers to stop making cars which do not meet the norm by March 31st. Bs6 cars manufactured before April 2023 can be registered even after the deadline. There are many cars on offer with BS6, which are manufactured before the deadline and can be registered now.
the.dogfather is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 11:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
From what I understand, the Apr-23 timeline is for new cars off the assembly line effective 1st April, not a deadline for selling existing stock. So registration wise, you would be fine.
Hi, I agree on this fhdowntheline. In India almost all the cars are non E20 or RDE 2 compliant and hence there will be no problem in 1.4L Seltos to run smoothly. If discount offered is handsome i.e. 1.25 lacs or more than it make sense to buy. Good part is it is 2023 manufactured.
Old 4th May 2023, 17:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnpaddock View Post
The Kia Seltos GTX 1.4 is a discontinued engine.
Additonally it is neither E20 or RDE compliant. You
may even get a discount as it’s discontinued. However, as its not E20 compliant, the new E20 diet will do harm to the engine internals.
By that logic shouldn't lakhs of other vehicles already plying on road also be at a risk of harm due to the new E20 fuel?

Quote:
If I do go ahead, should I anticipate any hurdles in registration since the vehicle is manufactured before the BS6 Ph-2 kicked in, but registered later?
If you are sure that the vehicle was manufactured before the BS6 ph-2 kicked in, then go for it. Ban is on manufacturing the BS 6 phase 1 stock post the norms, not on selling. Hope you are getting a pretty good discount, as updated seltos is just around the corner, and seems much better than current one.

Last edited by 07CR : 4th May 2023 at 17:24.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks