Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MG Hector would you buy?
1.5L Turbo-Petrol 30 31.25%
2.0L Diesel 66 68.75%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2023, 18:18   #1
Team-BHP Support

MG Hector | 1.5L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

We all know about the success of MG Hector and its journey since its launch. However, a lot has changed since then in terms of regulations and customer preferences. The Hector has both petrol and diesel engines on offer. But given that the market is sidelining diesel engines, MG is more focused on turbo-petrol engine sales. This was also one of the reasons why they didn’t introduce a diesel automatic variant with the facelift.

But, leaving the company preference aside, which is the engine you would pick if you were to buy a Hector in 2023 & why?

MG Hector | 1.5L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?-enginecomparison1.jpg

The 1.5-liter turbo-petrol engine is tuned more towards a comfortable driving style. There’s nothing much in store for the enthusiasts. Also, given the dynamics of the Hector, it’s best if you drive it sedately. You have the option of a 6-speed manual transmission or a CVT automatic. You can read about how the petrol CVT drives in detail here.

The 2.0-liter diesel engine that’s shared with Compass and Harrier is an effortless performer. It’s got the right amount of grunt in the mid-range which makes it very enjoyable to drive. You only have the option of a 6-speed manual and is preferred by those who love munching miles. Read about the Hector diesel in detail here.

Last edited by Omkar : 31st March 2023 at 18:25.
Omkar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 10:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: MG Hector | 1.5L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

The 1.5L Turbo-Petrol CVT for me. Reasons:

- I don't buy MTs anymore as I find them too cumbersome.

- The CVT is smooth.

- The Hector is the ultimate "comfort-mobile" to drive sedately, while enjoying the soft suspension's ride quality, interior space & superb audio system. The Petrol CVT is a perfect companion for this kind of commute.

- My running is too low for a diesel anyway. I can live with the petrol's lower FE & higher running costs.

No denying that the diesel is the superior engine, but for my low running and "purely AT" stance, it doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2023 at 10:28.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 10:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MG Hector | 1.5L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

The engine to buy the Hector with is the 2.0 MJD

Powerful, refined, efficient and reliable. It has the grunt to tirelessly munch miles all day at three digit speeds, and is also capable of delivering 18-20kmpl on lazy cruises. Hector is also the most refined application of this engine, with lowest cabin noise and vibrations. More importantly, this is the diesel engine that has had perhaps the least amount of trouble with the BS6 transition.

The only single box not checked is the availability of an automatic option. But the rest of the package is good enough to make you want to overlook it.

It is also a fact that the 1.5 turbo + CVT is a very average powertrain. Doesn’t offer much performance and guzzles a lot of petrol.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 11:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Horses for courses, personally for me it is the 1.5 CVT over diesel for following reasons

1. My running is hardly 600-700 kms a month, practically diesel is anyway ruled out.

2. Petrol refinement over diesel anyday.

3. CVT over MT anyday.

4. No headache of ad blue and DEF issues.

5. No headache of any new rule coming up by government to cut short my car life.

6. I hardly drive over 110-115 anymore, CVT happily potters around on those speeds with enough grunt for any quick overtakes as you are usually in turbo.

7. Diesel engines are on the way out anyway.

Diesel is more powerful without a doubt, but overall the only advantage I see for myself is a better fuel efficiency which anyway is negated for me with lower running.

Above are main reasons I am getting delivery of my Petrol CVT next week, though it would be good for MG to get the new powerful Petrol engine to India soon, low end performance should improve with that and car should become a bit more peppier to drive.

Last edited by AtheK : 1st April 2023 at 11:35.
AtheK is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 12:37   #5
BHPian

Diesels are a dying breed hence one must make most of good value when available. Hence MG Diesel for me also it's much more refined to drive vs petrol and CVT combo. Only reason to get petrol is 1. AT 2. 15 year rule. However 15 year thing should not matter as technology is changing so fast you might be tempted to upgrade much sooner.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:54   #6
BHPian

For long distance cruising, diesel is no-brainer. Key points which support it:-

1. Powerful and Torquey, shoots on straight line highways and takes full load with ease on Himalayan inclines.
2. No Diesel vibrations even while starting or stopping it. Even steering or pedals have no feel of vibration.
3. Smooth gear shifts in terms of power delivery, dual mass flywheel ensures car doesn’t looses momentum during gear shifts.
4. Excellent FE, on my recent trip to Varanasi it got 16 Km/L tank to tank method for entire 1500 KM stretch which is mix of expressway and normal highway with speeds between 80 to 120 KM/hr.
5. No DEF issues of any kind. To be frank as an owner it surprises me when I read about folks owning other brand write about regen and DEF soot build up as that’s not even topic for me till date after 30K kms. It has been just like BS4 ownership for me except DEF top up.
6. Cabin peace. Very good NVH levels specially for diesel which keeps fatigue level low.
7. Tank capacity of 60 liters fuel which can further hold approx 10 liters. It comes handy for doing 1000+ Kms in a day. With 16 Km/L it gives 1000 Km range which is quite stress free in areas with less petrol bunks.

Petrol:-

I will opt for petrol if primary usage is city as it has CVT. Even for highways it is strong contender now as it has ADAS level 2 and if driven sedately (between 80-100) it can achieve 10-12 Km/L mileage. For new age expressways like Samriddhi, 540 kms between Shirdi to Nagpur, negligible engagement of driver with ADAS level 2.
FiatDiesel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 11:59   #7
BHPian

Will be waiting eagerly for your delivery and first drive impressions @AtheK. Have been sitting on the fence for the longest time for a 'largish' SUV (no CSUVs please), preferably a petrol auto (NCR alas!), and the Hector CVT is currently top of the list. But am thoroughly confused, partly with the vastly divergent views about the Hector CVT's driveability, as well as with the other options in the market (for instance, the XUV 7OO and the Hycross). So yes, your initial experience will be looked up to with gratitude. Best wishes for a splendid delivery and congrats in advance. Cheers.
Lion hearted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 20:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 1.5L Turbo-Petrol CVT for me. Reasons:

- My running is too low for a diesel anyway. I can live with the petrol's lower FE & higher running costs.

No denying that the diesel is the superior engine, but for my low running and "purely AT" stance, it doesn't make any sense.
Is there any major negative to opt for Diesel engine if the running is low, apart from the price difference? The torque and the grunt of Diesel engines are un-matched and the price difference between Turbo Petrol & Diesel have also reduced.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 20:37   #9
Kln
BHPian

We have a petrol CVT last gen top spec Hector and let me tell you, it is the best bang for buck you can get for 20-25 lac range. The sheer comfort and ride quality setup is unmatched. The space, the panoramic sunroof, the suspension - all add up to a superb ride experience. It is a great car for anyone who doesn't mind spending a bit more in terms of fuel. The diesel lacks auto transmission, which is a shocking omission for a manufacturer of MG's stature and I was sure they would add it with this face-lift but alas. If only the add a TC diesel auto top spec - it will be the ultimate car in terms of sheer comfort. I often remember the 'punching above it's class' cars thread, and no car embodies it better than the hector.
Kln is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 08:09   #10
BHPian

Voted Petrol CVT.

I own latest gen Hector Savvy CVT. The car offers best in class features and comfort, which you are already aware of.

Engine choice - Petrol engine is aptly powered for city drives and highways. It may not push your head back but will have enough power to push forward at slight press of accelerator. I used to drive i20 Petrol Manual before this one. There is ample increase in power! AT is very convenient.

Hector's proposition with comfort and luxury features is such that it's supposed to be cruised rather than revved all around (maybe XUV or Kushaq for that). Similar to riding 500cc classic RE vs. Pulsar 200cc, target segment is different. That being said, Petrol engine is best suited, if you agree to above statement.

I got 13.5kmpl on highway during my Jim Corbett trip. In city have been getting 8.5-9.5kmpl on short trips of <10kms with avg. speed of 20-25kmph. On trips to Delhi (30+kms), avg. has been around 11-11.5kmpl. I am more than happy with this kind of mileage, as my regular run per month is ~500kms. Atleast, i need not worry about resale value due to 10 years limit on Diesel & get the comfort of AT.

Also, ADAS is a big positive for Petrol AT. By next year this will be a standard feature in all new cars. It is useful on highways and traffic assist is useful in crawling traffic.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 3rd April 2023 at 08:10.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 10:47   #11
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Crysta in the Innova Crysta vs the Innova Hycross thread. Quoting my own post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Crysta has that big diesel and all that torque which I really like. The Hycross on the other hand is more modern and has an automatic. Eventually, it comes down to diesel vs automatic for me. I wouldn't mind compromising on the automatic for a diesel. Voted for the Crysta.

My opinion shall stay the same irrespective of the variant.

My reasoning for voting for the 2.0 MJD is practically the same. I really like the diesel torque which is available in the 2.0 MJD. I have driven the pre-facelift 2.0 MJD Hector and did enjoy driving it on empty stretches at night. Many people say that diesels are on their way out and thus should be avoided. My thought process is the opposite. The upcoming few years might provide the last chance for many of us, if not all, to get a diesel and if you do really like a diesel, then you should get your hands on them as soon as you can.

I wouldn't mind compromising on the automatic for a diesel. Voted for the 2.0 diesel.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:46   #12
BHPian

Voted for Petrol CVT, not because I own one but, because how the car has grown on me over the last one year.

As already mentioned on this and other threads, the Hector is tuned for comfort and that's where the Petrol CVT shines. It is effortless to drive in the city and can keep munching miles after miles without breaking a sweat on long highways.

Yes, the the car feels sluggish at low revs and can frustrate you if you have a heavy right foot. But, if you drive with a light foot, you can build momentum easily and the car cruises happily post 1500RPM. Most of our expressways are now speed governed with max speed limited to 100-120KMPH and, the I have found the sweet spot between 90-110 KMPH where the Hector feels at home.

I took a test drive of the diesel and yes, it feels more energetic but does not make sense for me with annual running below 10000KMs and there is no AT box for the Diesel engine; to top it of I live in NCR with a 10 year cap on diesel vehicles.
TheVegabond is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:47   #13
BHPian

I bought the Hyundai Alcazar diesel Signature AT, as MG refused to bring in the diesel automatic. I would have booked the Hector plus Diesel AT, if it was available. Bad decision MG.
Old 3rd April 2023, 16:32   #14
BHPian

This is a comfort-oriented car with a lot of bells and whistles. IMO, such a vehicle is best enjoyed with the convenience of an AT. The diesel with the fasttt 2.0 MJD does not come with an AT and may also not support the soft sprung nature of the car thus not allowing you to drive it hard on the highway without a lot of body roll on curves.

Hence voted for the Petrol-CVT combo - I think the power this engine makes is sufficient for city usage over broken roads & is within the limits of what the suspension supports as well.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks