Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 09:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Confused between Tata Safari and Mahindra Scorpio-N

I'm in a similar spot today trying to decide between the Scorpio N and Safari.

I had never driven either of these vehicles until recently over a test drive each.

Following are my observations
1. Superior Engine refinement / Superior NVH containment in the cabin of Scorpio N. ( I'm not worried about power figures of which one is the cars is more powerful).
Whereas, I found mild vibrations in the steering and pedals for harrier when in D, stopped at signal.

2. Overall cabin feel and experience is better in Harrier/Safari than the Scorpio. Huge sunroof and abundance of charging points and air vents for all 3 rows help Safari here.

3. Scorpio had an amazing driving seat position. Top of the world view. Felt like driving a huge SUV.
Harrier is almost there. Not behind much.

4. Electric steering is very very light on the Scorpio. The Harrier wasn't bad at all. Fact that it being mentioned several times on this forum to be hard / tight low speeds, I went with a benchmark to the TD only to find my perception from the forum to be exaggerated. This is probably because I've driven even harder hydraulic steering vehicles in my past. To conclude from my end, the steering on Tata twins is not a problem at all to me.

5. Up until 2 months ago, I wondered how one was ready to spend 25 lakhs on such small infotainment systems in either of the vehicles ( harrier infotainment very laggy and even more horrible reverse cam quality on scorpio N ). With the recent changes on Harrier Safari twins, the new infotainment systems are damn good with amazing camera quality. Scorpio N is due very much for a changeover.

6. Design wise, the safari is well designed with proportionate front and rear ends. Looks SUVish end to end and not like a people mover van. On the other hand, Scorpio N, from the front looks butch SUV, hands down. But the by the time we reach rear end, it appears to be abruptly finished, same with inside cabin as well. With so much increased height, shape from rear looks like the vehicle is a huge moving "box".

My confusion again: Heart says go for scorpio just for the sheer refinement on offer with engine gearbox and commanding driving seat and butch looks from front

End of the day, i have a family who i prefer to be seated in a much premium cabin with my mind telling me to pick the safari instead. As a driver I will have to adjust with the mild vibrations.

Another factor affecting my decision, Z8L is out of budget and my Z6 booking is now 8 months old with no hope in near future. Z4 has too fewer features than what I was looking for( SA is assuring a delivery of Z4 in next 3 months though which I'm not interested).

I'm looking at diesel automatics only and I'm upgrading from a sub 4m compact sedan right now. For various reasons I'm not looking at anything outside these 2 vehicles.

Valuable inputs from the forum would be appreciated

Last edited by r24x7 : 21st March 2023 at 09:22.
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 00:14   #32
BHPian

Re: Confused between Tata Safari and Mahindra Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
I'm in a similar spot today trying to decide between the Scorpio N and Safari.
I did multiple test drives post the initial post I did here. Honestly, apart from the power train, there was nothing else that interested me in the Scorpio N.

I went with the Safari eventually. I have zero regrets for not choosing the Scorpio.

The Safari that I'm already driving now, is far better interiors wise, there is very less harshness I can feel. The vehicle I was delivered has way lesser vibrations than the test drive vehicle I drove earlier. Very happy with my decision.
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks