Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2023, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Advice on buying a Used Force One

Hi family!

There's an itch to add a new vehicle in my garage.

I was just scrolling through options, and came across an interesting one; Force One. It was a full size SUV to compete against the likes of OG Safari and Scorpio.

The SUV was a sales dud. But what makes it intriguing is that it's got the Size, looks (personal perspective), and engineering inputs from Mercedes and Lotus.

Pricing is another key factor, 3-4 Lakh Rupees for a 2014 model, run for about 60k km.

So the question is:
Is it worth the risk considering:
- Force is still manufacturing vehicles in India.
- After sales experience of fellow BHPians.
- Possible maintenance at FNG rather than authorised service centre
- Reliability.

This is my post, so any diversion from Moderation rules is apologized for, in advance.

THANK YOU.
PB65 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 16:51   #2
BHPian

re: Advice on buying a Used Force One

It was a sales dud and believe none will recognise that car. If you are just looking for size and comfort Tata Hexa should be the one you should be looking for
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 16:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do you want something that not many wanted ? Just the size and a certain level (but unknown level) of input from global giants ? (I wont comment on your liking of the looks, because that is a personal perspective).

There are many other large SUV's around - Safari Storme, Scoripo ..
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 17:14   #4
BHPian

Hi,

Only 3500 nos were manufactured Force One. Addition to that engine 2.2 is now no more in service since last 3 years.

Hence availability of spares etc is going to be an issue. For that cost why take a headache. In my opinion stay away from this model.

You shall get a lot of models which can match your requirements.

cheers
007 Bond
007 Bond is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 17:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

When I opened this thread, I was half expecting a decade old thread bumped up due to a recent query. Surprised to see a new thread pop up for Force One in 2023!

If you are keen on it, find the nearest Force dealer and try to book a service/enquire about spares. This should give you an idea about the kind of support you will get in the future. You can also ask for the history of this vehicle to understand if it was maintained at the OEM service center or at some FNG.

Their response (whether positive/negative) will certainly help you make up your mind.

Lastly, do try to negotiate on the price further as there might not be too many takers for it apart from you.
Dry Ice is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 17:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
It was a sales dud and believe none will recognise that car. If you are just looking for size and comfort Tata Hexa should be the one you should be looking for
Hexas are costing around 8-10 lakhs, the ones in good condition.

The only thing that intrigues me is the price. Just inquired, its around 2.5 lakhs, I think I cam negotiate it 2 lakhs. Even if I spend around a 2 lakhs in repairs, if any, I'm still getting a very tempting deal.

To sum it all, in 4 lakhs I'll be getting a next to new condition SUV, and it's way cheaper than Safaris and Scorpios of that time.
PB65 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 21:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

There are a number of user reviews on Car dekho about this SUV. Seems ok at barebones level with weak braking as per reviews.
Better to evaluate the safety aspect well since its primary use is going to on highways (relatively higher speeds) and along with family.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 5th March 2023 at 21:47.
Old 5th March 2023, 23:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Engineering inputs from Mercedes and lotus doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be better, more likely that it will be difficult and expensive to repair.

Personally I would stay away since it’s a discontinued vehicle and parts will be very hard to find. If you really want a 5L suv, why not get a 1st gen Safari or scorpio.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 08:41   #9
BHPian

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread, but when I first read the title, I thought someone is asking about "Air Force 1" and my immediate reaction was why is this an option

Now back to Force 1, I think the spares will be an issue and 3 years later, it will have to be scrapped. If it satisfies your requirement for 3- 4 years and you are okay with no resale value, you should go for it!
Tapish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 09:59   #10
BHPian

One of my ex colleagues had Force One quite long back and buying a new car he was utterly frustrated with the Force service on resolving niggles in this car. He vented out his frustration on Facebook and that is how all of us came to know about it. As others have suggested, get in touch with Force for availability of spares and more importantly assess service satisfaction levels of Force because spares alone does not solve everything unless you have someone to assess and diagnose things for you on a timely basis.
haisaikat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:06   #11
BHPian

It appears you are looking for something like Scorpio or Safari. The equally pre-worshipped Scorpio or Safari (8~9 yrs old) will be expensive than Force one.
I suggest you wait for sometime, save more and buy Scorpio itself.

Force One was an attempt of Force Motors into a new segment which miserably failed. I don't think that you will find very delighted ownership reviews of this car.
Old 6th March 2023, 11:12   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shall I go for Force One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65 View Post
The only thing that intrigues me is the price. Just inquired, its around 2.5 lakhs, I think I cam negotiate it 2 lakhs. Even if I spend around a 2 lakhs in repairs, if any, I'm still getting a very tempting deal..
Looks like you think you are getting the best bang for the buck. A Full Size SUV for cheap price. But, trust me, that's not the case.

Most often than not, cheap cars are cheap for a reason, and no one wants it for a reason. In this case, the car is a poorly built one, with lots of niggles and difficult to source parts. I know atleast two cars just lying around rotting away for lack of spares.

If you still decide to go ahead with the buy, ~2lacs or less would be an ideal price.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:34   #13
BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a Used Force One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65 View Post
Hexas are costing around 8-10 lakhs, the ones in good condition...To sum it all, in 4 lakhs I'll be getting a next to new condition SUV, and it's way cheaper than Safaris and Scorpios of that time.
One of our neighbours had bought the Force One as soon at it was launched and since day 1 it started to have problems.

He described it as "the WORST" (not one of the worst, just 1 really pathetic car) car he ever bought! The engine just ran on hopes and prayers and after numerous visits to service centres he sold it off.

Summing it up, you would not be 'buying' a car for 2 lakhs but 'selling' your peace of mind for 2 lakhs.

Anyway, on a lighter note, one cannot "Force One" to not buy if he really has set up his mind and just wants an assurance because that's usually the case.

But please, stay away from this one.
RavSam is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:32   #14
BHPian

What three words - Stay far away.
If budget is a constraint then better go for TATA Safari I think even Aria will be a safer bet compared to Force One
Ton Ami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:16   #15
BHPian

Well that's an eye opener. I guess it's better not to get carried away by the price and any kind of "Gurkha legacy".

Thank you everyone for their suggestions. I guess my original idea of a used Petrol sedan is a better option. Will surely stick to it.
PB65 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks