Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 07:52   #16
BHPian

re: Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Unfortunately, the 40 -50 L SUV / Crossover space is not very crowded.
Options you have are Fortuner, Gloster, MUX, Hilux, Kodiaq and the new Hyundai Tucson. And since you are looking only at BoF RWD, Kodiaq and Tucson won’t fit the bill.

On resale, I understand it may not be a primary criteria while buying. But, the losses are significantly high for non-mainstream brands.

For example, I got 4 to 5 Lacs lesser while selling my Hexa, compared to Innova of same age and mileage.
I don't intend to sell or update my next vehicle for at least 10 years, if not more. So I'm not considering resale value at all. Other than the Fortuner in this list, I don't think any of them will have good resale value. I lean towards the Mu-X for its Japanese origin and ride quality. I'm only left out with the Gloster, as my wife and children were not impressed with the Fortuner.
JoaTMoN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 08:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post

Help me decide, I am really confused! Do I get it because I "might" NEED it someday, or do I get it because I just WANT it?
I had Storme 4x4 for 5.5 years. I had bought 4x4 as an insurance that if I get stuck somewhere, it will help me come out on its own. So it gave me confidence to take it anywhere. It did not see any hard-core offroading, but I took roads and trails which I would not have taken in a 2WD car. I never needed to use 4x4 as 2W RWD was sufficient for all my use cases. For me choice was easy as 4x4 was only 1-1.5L pricier.

Would I buy my next SUV with 4x4 or AWD? Yes, I would as it would give a piece of mind, and confidence of taking the car anywhere. Alas, today there are very limited choices for 4x4 in my affordable price bracket.

Edit:
Did you consider Alturas 4x4 AT? It sits midway between XUV and MuX.

Last edited by speed79 : 20th November 2022 at 08:38.
speed79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 09:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I don't intend to sell or update my next vehicle for at least 10 years, if not more. So I'm not considering resale value at all. Other than the Fortuner in this list, I don't think any of them will have good resale value. I lean towards the Mu-X for its Japanese origin and ride quality. I'm only left out with the Gloster, as my wife and children were not impressed with the Fortuner.
Then it is only MUX. And I would rate it above Gloster, though it may not have as many electronics around.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 18:00   #19
BANNED

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

This was the philosophy I went in with when deciding between the Tata Hexa XTA and the Hexa XT 4x4. No regrets till date! If your finances allow, go for the 4x4 Variant.
nathanjdias is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 18:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go with your heart, brother. Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and all that Jazz.

Go and buy that 4x4 MU-X. Forget that MG Gloster. Im truly lamenting what these Chinese have done to that once beautiful brand.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 07:49   #21
BHPian

Get the 4wd mate. Gives you much better peace of mind wherever you do. Not have to worry much about climate, roads, etc

Whole point of driving suv form factor to me are ground clearance and capability to off road. Plus 3.5L in a 10 yr investment looks peaceful in any Excel (barring investment angles)
noufal.ps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 08:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mu-x's felt perfect, like an all-rounder. Mu-x was also more spacious (especially the 3rd row seats) than the rest,[*]Since it's the year-end, there's only one colour and only 2 vehicles left in the 4x4 Mu-x model.

Help me decide, I am really confused! Do I get it because I "might" NEED it someday, or do I get it because I just WANT it?
Forgot about the 4x2 or the 4x4; I won't recommend anyone to buy an Isuzu currently. It's not the same Isuzu as it used to be, at least with what they have done with local assembly. My guess is a lot of folks from Tata, and Mahindra must have joined them

If you can afford, buy something new, even if it means picking a Mahindra as they will at least have easy availability of spares and the prices will be affordable. We paid over Rs 70,000 to change what appeared to be jammed brakes/ rotor on a commercial truck that cost 6 Lac.

Resales for this will be terrible; you can say you don't intend to sell but think like an asset; today, you can sell any fast-mover cars with a limited hit. But with such models? That the company itself cannot sell will be a big gamble.

There is nothing extraordinary in MUX that you should pick over other models. Discounts may tempt you, but the MRP itself on it is bloated. Having bought multiple Isuzu's and now getting rid of them gradually, I can safely say the ones they got in the initial Years were good and still work flawlessly but the newer ones- not so. Have you heard clutch failing on a 12K Isuzu ever? It did, and apparently, there was a silent recall, so they changed without charge.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st November 2022 at 09:20. Reason: small correction.
Turbanator is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 09:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Most 4WD vehicles never really go off road. Most Landrover and Range Rover owners cars for example never see anything rougher than a mall parking lot and are never engaged in any bigger adventure than a school drop.
Hilariously accurate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A 1,900 cc engine sounds puny to say the least, for such a heavy machine
I agree with this point. I test drove the 2021 VCross and the MUX early this year, and while the 1900cc felt okay for the VCross (which is ~150kgs lighter in kerb weight) it definitely felt underpowered for the MUX.

Quote:
I don't intend to sell or update my next vehicle for at least 10 years, if not more. So I'm not considering resale value at all.
Just sharing my two cents from experience. It's hard to be so sure about such long term plans in today's world IMHO. You never know when the situation might change and you find yourself looking to replace / sell off the vehicle. I am in a situation where I just did a lot of soul searching to buy the dream vehicle that I wanted, confident that I would use it for the next 15 years, but I am already finding myself in a possible situation where I might have to sell it off. Apart from that I would say if you have done all the research and have zeroed in on the shortlist, then just go ahead and close the deal no regrets.
corneliu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 10:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Forgot about the 4x2 or the 4x4; I won't recommend anyone to buy an Isuzu currently. It's not the same Isuzu as it used to be, at least with what they have done with local assembly. My guess is a lot of folks from Tata, and Mahindra must have joined them

There is nothing extraordinary in MUX that you should pick over other models. Discounts may tempt you, but the MRP itself on it is bloated. Having bought multiple Isuzu's and now getting rid of them gradually, I can safely say the ones they got in the initial Years were good and still work flawlessly but the newer ones- not so. Have you heard clutch failing on a 12K Isuzu ever? It did, and apparently, there was a silent recall, so they changed without charge.
This is the first I'm hearing a negative remark about Isuzu's reliability. Reasons for why I picked up Isuzu were Japanese reliability, ride quality and interior space. As for bloated up MRP, even the Fortuner 's price is unjustifiably atrocious. Could the problems you've mentioned be rare occurrences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneliu View Post
I agree with this point. I test drove the 2021 VCross and the MUX early this year, and while the 1900cc felt okay for the VCross (which is ~150kgs lighter in kerb weight) it definitely felt underpowered for the MUX.

Just sharing my two cents from experience. It's hard to be so sure about such long term plans in today's world IMHO. You never know when the situation might change and you find yourself looking to replace / sell off the vehicle. I am in a situation where I just did a lot of soul searching to buy the dream vehicle that I wanted, confident that I would use it for the next 15 years, but I am already finding myself in a possible situation where I might have to sell it off. Apart from that I would say if you have done all the research and have zeroed in on the shortlist, then just go ahead and close the deal no regrets.
Personally, I definitely agree that it's underpowered, but it wasn't significantly bothersome when I test drove the vehicle. I believe in "bigger the vehicle, bigger the responsibility". I wouldn't mind rolling a tank around town.
JoaTMoN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 10:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I don't view depreciating assets wearing investment glasses. I have never bought any of my vehicles with resale value in mind.
Brother, that's a fantastic quote I wholeheartedly agree with. Again, think of the things where you can use 4x4, and if you feel the are worth it, go for it. Most people do not go off-roading for the sake of it. It is just if some trips where a 4x4 may be needed is worth it.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 11:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the first I'm hearing a negative remark about Isuzu's reliability. Reasons for why I picked up Isuzu were Japanese reliability, ride quality and interior space. As for bloated up MRP, even the Fortuner 's price is unjustifiably atrocious. Could the problems you've mentioned be rare occurrences?
Isuzu is japanese but its not in the same league now as Honda or Toyota or even Suzuki. They make good diesel engines, and build their reputation on their diesel engines mainly. The mux sold here (prev gen) is a collaboration between chevrolet and isuzu, but the chevy variant has their own engine not isuzu. The current mux is a joint effort between isuzu and mazda and everywhere else apart from india the mux has transitioned to new model couple of years ago.

All components including suspension and brakes are different between chevy mux and mazda mux. Front brake service would be a lot easier on the mazda mux compared to the old chevy mux sold here because finally they transitioned from captive rotor of chevy mux to regular rotors which isn't part of the hub.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 11:23   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the first I'm hearing a negative remark about Isuzu's reliability. Reasons for why I picked up Isuzu were Japanese reliability
Unfortunately, what we get here is nothing of that sort. We have around six cars with us (now4), and apart from the earlier CKD- Two, the rest had different problems, and as I mentioned, spares are expensive. Small things, like the Ignition switch going bad in three years of ownership- Not acceptable. It must be something locally. Privately, even dealership staff agrees about the deteriorating quality. Speak to the parts department of your known dealership, and they will tell you if they are truthful.

Quote:
As for bloated up MRP, even the Fortuner 's price is unjustifiably atrocious.
Fortuner price is high but not bloated as you will never get any Discounts irrespective of when and from where you buy. Toyota has priced per what customers can pay and a couple of thousands every month pay what Toyota demands. Not like Isuzu selling a couple of units in single or double digits. A lot of buyers get enticed by the lack of anything at that price point and so pick up such cars.

Quote:
However, I am never planning a cross-country drive, as of now, or in the near-future. I have a little bit of confidence in service support
I don't view depreciating assets wearing investment glasses. I have never bought any of my vehicles with resale value in mind.
It's not about the current situation. Things can change. I am personally not comfortable with brands having limited service. But if you don't travel too far, it should be ok.

All cars are depreciating, and no one is suggesting you make a call based on the least depreciating. If you like drivability and otherwise the Isuzu, go and pick one. But, it would be best if you considered why everyone is avoiding it. Not so many people can be wrong?

I will be looking at the upcoming new Toyota Innova, or whatever they call it, for good driving and rear seat comfort if I was shopping in that segment.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st November 2022 at 11:25.
Old 21st November 2022, 11:34   #28
BHPian

Alternative choice: buy a 2WD (RWD) truck of your choice from used market. Get a mechanical locker differential (MLD) fitted and that will cover atleast 80% of your offroad usecases.
Old 21st November 2022, 11:57   #29
BHPian

Just when I thought that the 4X2 vs 4X4 dilemma was finally settled, now the choice of the Brand has become questionable!
Old 21st November 2022, 13:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just when I thought that the 4X2 vs 4X4 dilemma was finally settled, now the choice of the Brand has become questionable!
47L OTR Bangalore, I do not have the stomach to pay so much for an Isuzu. I am not sure when they are going to exit but I hope they survive the new BS6 norms next year. As a brand they are competing with Force motors in the commercial segment and virtually no presence in passenger segment anymore.

Skip, please.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks