Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2022, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Upgrade from Renault Duster AWD: Hyundai Tucson vs Skoda Kodiaq vs Volvo XC40 vs Others

I currently own a Duster AWD, 3.5 years old, almost 50k km on ODO. The vehicle served me really well, and have made some amazing trips through the toughest terrains in the Himalayas. No problems whatsoever. However, I have since moved several ladders up my career and also become a father.

I am looking to upgrade to a new vehicle, possibly Premium Luxury SUV. Budget limit is 75 lakhs.

My requirements.

1. Ride Comfort for Long Drives - I am spoiled by Duster's ride quality. The other day I sat in my friend's Hector and found it so bumpy, it was off-putting. Also, I absolutely need an automatic this time.
  2. Less Body Roll - for a comfortable ride in the mountains
  3. Superb NVH Levels - This is the biggest pain point with my current car. The poor NVH level spoils otherwise excellent ride quality. I have done the entire car's damping yet the noise is just too much. I am okay with Petrol if it gives better NVH levels.
  4. Safety - Given now I have a daughter, the safer the car the better.
  5. Reliability - I often do long drives to off-beat places in the mountains, including Ladakh and Spiti Valley. Even Duster AWD has its own reliability concerns with diesel injector failures, but my ownership has been fuss-free thus far.
  6. AWD - Not sure about this now. Duster AWD has been helpful with some crazy trips we have done in the last 3 years. But we will be a lot more careful being parents and might not venture to unknown roads too often. Also, I think most trips we have done can be done with an FWD vehicle if driven carefully.
  7. High Ground Clearance - My duster has 210 mm and it has served well everywhere. Lower ground clearance would be a pain on patchy terrains in remote areas.
  8. Little Badge Value, if possible - I have had a long-standing dream of owning a luxury SUV, and I think this might be the best time. In future, my responsibilities and commitments will only grow, and I might not get the chance to spend so much on a car.
  9. Long Ownership - I want to keep this car for the next 7 - 8 years unless I change upon a lottery and have enough money to throw at an even more premium car.

My considerations:

Hyundai Tucson
Pros
  • Ticks most boxes - AWD, reliability, good NVH levels (from reviews), powerful engine, and ride comfort.
  • Hyundai Service Network
Cons
  • Low ground clearance - 193mm
  • Diesel - DPF clogging, future of diesel cars
  • Headlights are not up to the mark, as suggested by owners on Team-BHP. Since I do a lot of night driving, this might just be a deal breaker
  • I feel even after spending 40+ lakh I wouldn't get that premium experience. Kodiaq is just 4-5 lakhs away which is a much more premium vehicle, Volvo XC40 is 10-12 lakh away.
  • Although Hyundai has a great service network, I am not sure many service centres would be familiar with a premium vehicle like Tucson. I might be looking at long waiting for repairs if the car goes into remote service centres such as Leh, Manipur, Sikkim, etc.
Skoda Kodiaq
Pros
  • Handsome looks, brand value
  • AWD
  • Premium experience
  • Petrol, superb NVH levels
Cons
  • Low ground clearance - 192mm
  • DSG reliability
  • High repair costs. I read one review where the replacement of DSG gearbox was billed at 6.5 lakhs (although covered in warranty)
  • Poor service network
Volvo XC40
Pros
  • High Ground Clearance - 211 mm
  • Premium SUV
  • Badge value without much attraction. I can be a proud owner of a premium car without attracting much attention wherever I go.
  • Very practical car for my needs - Google Maps in the instrument cluster, superb safety, ride quality
  • Long-term reliability - ownership reviews I have read have been mostly fuss-free. I have even seen some XC60s that have done 1,50,000 km in the second-hand market. I haven't found many German brands with such usage.
  • Lower cost of ownership than Germans
Cons
  • No AWD
  • Poor Service network

Other Considerations

BMW X3 - Petrol, Audi Q5
  • Reliability - given so many electronics, hydro-locking, expensive repair costs
Fortuner
  • Too big a vehicle, bumpy ride
Jeep Compass
  • Reliability, small car, Diesel doesn't age well and gives in bad NVH levels in the long run
Next-Gen BMW X1, Nissan X-trail, Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Can wait for these to evaluate but not sure about their timeline.
shashankjain16 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 05:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Upgrade from Renault Duster AWD: Hyundai Tucson vs Skoda Kodiaq vs Volvo XC40 vs Others

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 18th November 2022, 13:04   #3
BANNED

Re: Upgrade from Renault Duster AWD: Hyundai Tucson vs Skoda Kodiaq vs Volvo XC40 vs Others

Luxury doesn't come cheap, so high repair costs and maintenance are bound to follow. In my opinion, your best options are the BMW X3 and the Audi Q5.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 15:34   #4

Is there any reason why you have not considered C5 Aircross? It seems to tick many of your boxes if not all. Good ground clearance (235mm), Excellent Ride comfort and NVH, Stable (pretty good moose test result), Powerful Diesel Engine, Good Looks (Subjective), European (not German though), Big - but not bulky. On the downside, it is Expensive for what it offers, Diesel and lacks 4WD, unknown reliability and a limited service network.
alagusankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 19:27   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I say, whatever car you end up buying, retain the Duster. You'll always find use for a cheap, familiar & capable AWD with exceptional ride quality, keeping in mind the kind of touring that you do .

For value-luxury, you really can't beat the Kodiaq & Tucson. Both have been extensively reviewed on the forum, so read up, take a test-drive and come back here with your observations. For ~40 lakhs, can't beat these two.

If you want to splurge (~75 lakhs), you could consider the Audi Q5 (neighbour recently got a quote for 65 in the first round of negotiations itself) and X3 (top class reliability & driving pleasure). Not the XC40 - too small, but the XC60 isn't too far from your budget. It's quite a mega SUV, so do check it out. And yes, definitely test-drive the Grand Cherokee.

Take your time shopping & test-driving, 75 lakhs is a lot of money and there are a lot of options. Eventually go with the car that makes you the happiest...smile the widest. Any car over 30 lakhs is driven more by "want" than "need".

I don't know if you're into sedans at all, but if I were in your place, I'd keep the Duster AWD and get a M340i / C300d / 530d to accompany it. Now, that would really be something! A capable AWD with a really fast enthusiast's sedan.

Congrats on your success. Going from a Duster to a 75-lakh machine is a big jump for just 3 - 4 years, so well done!

Last edited by GTO : 18th November 2022 at 19:31.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 12:10   #6
BHPian

Given your preference mentioned, I would recommend Kodiaq.
It has almost all the ingredients you are looking for with great driving pleasure (2.0TSI), especially given you are not driven by badge value. DSG is decently reliable and trust me, if you are outside warranty, you can get it repaired outside at FNG which will not cost you a bomb. I have done it for my Q5.

Other suggestion I would have would be to go for a pre-owned Q5/X3/GLC for around 40-45L. You can enjoy that, they are reliable and in any case that 30L remaining in your bank would be more than enough for ANY repairs in next 10 years I bet.
OffRoadFun is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 12:55   #7
Mtv
BHPian

The Q5 is actually quite reliable and powertrain is a proven one. This same engine does duty in lesser VW’s as well, so parts and upkeep will be reasonable. Interestingly, it shares its engine with the base Porsche Macan too.

It rides very well, goes fast, ergonomics are spot on. Apart from the somewhat dull looking dashboard, it has little other shortcomings. The facelift one on sale looks handsome too. Do test it
Mtv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 12:59   #8
BHPian

I would suggest you to checkout the XC60, extremely Luxurious and also being from the Volvo tribe, its also very safe car. Just a problem with Volvo cars is its service network.
As we are nearing to end of 2022, you might really get great deals in Luxury car market if you negotiate a little hard. Cars from upper segment will also fit in your budget.
Wish you happy miles with your Car!
Also congratulations on a massive leap from Duster to a 75 Lakh premium car.
Starwar19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 13:41   #9
BHPian

Would recommend BMW 330i provided you are willing to keep Duster and are open to the fact that sedan would be really fun, with the remaining money you can look towards Jeep Compass or even Citroen Aircross, I know a bit unconventional but Citroen seriously has some of the best ride quality and BMW will keep your driving enthusiast in control.
Old 20th November 2022, 16:06   #10
BHPian

I would say either stick to Kodiaq or Tucson price bucket but if the itch is real bad and you want to splurge then get yourself a BMW X5. I know it’s a bit over the 75 lakh rupee mark but I have a believe that if you’re spending so much money why stick to 2 litre engines ?
Old 20th November 2022, 17:11   #11
BHPian

Just taking cues from your Duster “AWD” ;
I’lol suggest following 75L breakup
Loaded Toyota Hilux 45
Skoda Slavia 20
Off-road / Sports Tourer bike 10
ambarkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 19:13   #12
BHPian

As per your requirements I think the Q5 fits the bill. It ticks most boxes and fits in your budget. The X3 will be more fun, but also more expensive. You only live once, so just go for it. And congrats for moving up !! Move up in style !!
Old 20th November 2022, 19:44   #13
BHPian

I test-drove Tucson today and came back a bit underwhelmed. I have given my detailed observations here (2022 Hyundai Tucson Review). It was my first test drive and I have realised it will be quite a challenge to find a replacement for a car-like Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alagusankar View Post
Is there any reason why you have not considered C5 Aircross?
I hadn't even considered C5 Aircross mainly because of the poor service network. But, oh man, that car does tick many checkboxes for me. Except for AWD and unknown reliability, it seems to be the perfect car. Also going by some ownership reviews on YouTube, the car seems decently reliable. I will be taking its test drive soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I say, whatever car you end up buying, retain the Duster.
For value-luxury, you really can't beat the Kodiaq & Tucson.
If you want to splurge (~75 lakhs), you could consider the Audi Q5 and X3.
I don't know if you're into sedans at all.
Congrats on your success.
Thank you for the such wonderful advice. I also don't want to part from my Duster but its maintenance Insurance + Service would cost around 40k per year. Moreover, it's manual and my new car will be automatic. So, I am not sure if Duster would be much fun to drive once I get used to automatic.

Kodiaq and Tucson are on top of my list. I just tested Tucson as stated above.

Yeah, my heart wants to jump to BMW X3 or Audi Q5 but coming from a middle-class background it is too big a leap for me. The attention car will get, can I take it to my village safely, what if anything goes wrong and it costs a bomb - I am just reluctant to spend even though I can.

Also, I am not much into sedans right now. For most of the places, I want to go sedan would not be much useful.

Thanks, again. Although my budget stretch is more from a car lover perspective, and might not make financial sense for most people earning similar to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
The Q5 is actually quite reliable and powertrain is a proven one.
That's reassuring. Audi Q5 was already my preference above BMW X3 for a variety of reasons. I will definitely try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
DSG is decently reliable and trust me, if you are outside warranty, you can get it repaired outside at FNG which will not cost you a bomb. I have done it for my Q5.
Didn't know I could get it repaired from outside FNG. That gives a completely new perspective on maintenance costs. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwar19 View Post
I would suggest you to check out the XC60.
Will definitely do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
...then get yourself a BMW X5...
Frankly, if I were to stretch to BMW X5, I would go eyes closed and buy Land Rover Defender instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarkhan View Post
Just taking cues from your Duster “AWD” ;
I’lol suggest following 75L breakup
Loaded Toyota Hilux 45
Skoda Slavia 20
Off-road / Sports Tourer bike 10
Thanks for this suggestion but I don't think multiple cars will do it for me.
shashankjain16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 20:22   #14
BHPian

I am own Q5, smooth engine, spacious and with 5 year package not expensive to maintain. Not a lot of electronics in the Premium Plus Variant
samitjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 20:26   #15
BHPian

It’s gonna be a tough ask as the Duster AWD offers excellent ride quality which can compete with sun 40L too. Probably the Cherokee is what you are looking for.
100Kmphormore is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed