View Poll Results: Used Kodiaq or New Meridian
Used Skoda Kodiaq TDI Style 2018 57 48.72%
All New Jeep Meridian 4x4 60 51.28%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2022, 08:38   #1
BHPian

Used Skoda Kodiaq or New Jeep Meridian?

I am confused between Skoda Kodiaq 2018 TDI Style with 28k run or the new Jeep Meridian 4x4 AT. Kodiaq's quote is for 32.5 Lakhs (not much negotiable) and Meridian's on-the-road price is 44.5 Lakhs (with around 2 L discounts). I think my requirements are clear from the above choices but then it always helps to clarify: I am looking for an Urban SUV which will also be used for highway runs. AWD or 4WD is needed as I plan to undertake some trips over the next few years where it would help to have mild off-roading capabilities and to be insured against any tricky road conditions, if at all. The Jeep Meridian price is at the far end of what I could stretch to and for anything above 30 Lakhs, I would like to have the additional flexibility of the additional third-row emergency seats

What I find superior in Kodiaq is the additional creature comforts it offers and also the BSIV Diesel engine without the DEF / Exhaust hassles but what goes against is my worry about the longevity and legality of the vehicle for the 4-year Kodiaq Diesel (I am fine with Skoda service though - I am an extremely satisfied customer of Rapid TDI AT for the last 6 years). I would ideally like to keep the vehicle for 10 more years. I found very little to choose between these vehicles in terms of performance, handling, and ride comfort. Although there is a clear winner in each of these, overall they are very competitive and similar when pitted against each other.

Looking for valuable inputs and advice from the community.

Last edited by VinsWagen : 31st October 2022 at 08:41. Reason: Grammar correction
VinsWagen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 15:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Skoda Kodiaq or New Jeep Meridian?

Personally I think that version of the Kodiaq with its non DEF dependent Diesel engine is an excellent buy and pound for pound, likely a better product than the Meridian.

Having said that, for a car of that vintage, I find the Škoda’s asking price a tad too rich. I’d actively consider the higher budget Meridian or even the Tucson if I had to shell out that kind of money for a 4 year old Kodiaq. Particularly since the Meridian is anyway running some decent discounts on its OTR price.
Axe77 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 15:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That’s a hefty asking price for a 4 year old Kodiaq. Do consider that this engine has been discontinued for some time now, and support will start becoming an issue with time. Also, the car will have the older DSG, not the new DQ381.

Personally, I’d rather that you go for a brand new Kodiaq Sportline petrol instead. New car + latest engine + latest transmission is worth the difference. I am not really impressed by the Meridian. The automatic gearbox really kills the experience, with middle of the road performance and poor FE. Not what you want when you are spending 30-40L.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 15:55   #4
BHPian

Yes. 32 lakh for a 4 year old Kodiaq looks to be on the higher side. Jeep Meridian also is now a good choice at that price point. If I'm right it has the same engine and transmission as the Compass and hence would feel underpowered.
StopUnderrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 08:15   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Although I love the Kodiaq, buying a 4-year old Skoda is not my cup of tea. And especially not when it's so stiffly priced.

I'm going with the "none" option and would instead recommend you to get the Hyundai Tucson. The latest gen is a fabulous crossover . Your Rapid is anyway just 6 years old, so use it a little more to tide over the Tucson's waiting period. While you wait for your Tucson, invest the 40 lakhs & make it 45 lakhs in a year .
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven Jeep Meridian, but going by the reports, it seems to have great ride and handling with decent off-roading abilities. Check this review:

I have not driven Kodiaq either but I own a Tiguan Allspace (cousin of Kodiaq) and feel it is too delicate to take it offroad. Only time I took it on a rough-road has resulted in some underbody damage.

If the budget not an issue, it should be new Meridian IMHO.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Kodiaq, but only if the price is brought down to 30 lakhs atleast. 28k kms is nothing for this engine and 4 years means it’s ready for a remap in a year or 2. Then it’s a much powerful car. I believe the asking price is too much, even if it is in Bangalore.
No to Meridian, as personally don’t like it’s look and felt underpowered. Infact Kodiaq TDI in stock might still be faster than Meridian even with lesser power figures.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
Although there is a clear winner in each of these, overall they are very competitive and similar when pitted against each other.

Looking for valuable inputs and advice from the community.
The Kodiaq is a very good car. I believe I also checked out a similar one in Bangalore, but the pricing is on the higher end in Bangalore, so decided to wait and watch.

If you can buy a new Meredian, I would suggest you go for that version. You get a brand new car and lesser worries when compared to a Skoda. But DEF issues are beginning to show in the BS-VI cars and it is a scary proposition once you put so much money into it
diwakarmuthu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 14:49   #9
BHPian

There is no guarantee that the NGT ban on diesels over 10 years would not get extended to other major metros in the coming times. Do keep this at the back of your mind while buying a 4 year old diesel and that too a Skoda. Also, it seems overpriced for a 4 years old BS IV diesel Skoda.

I would suggest you check out the Compass too along with the Meridian. The last row on the Meridian is pretty much unusable for adults of any size and the difference in prices is massive. Do check out the new Tucson too. I am sure that looks alone can tilt the decision in its favour.

Happy Shopping!
Herschey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 15:46   #10
BHPian

Voted for the Meridian. Looks stylish and classy. Consider this as a 5 seater Compass with a huge boot. 7 seats are very cramped let alone luggage.

But I would also suggest you take a look at the New Tucson or if you want the best bang for your buck, check the Alturas G4(read Superb value for money).
deepjaju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Meridian. The Skoda is already 4 years old and reliability issues will start to crop up sooner rather than later. Without a factory warranty, you are exposing yourself to an unknown level of repair and maintenance expenditure.

Also the global launch of the Kodiaq was back in 2017. So it is already a 5.5 year old model. In a year or two, you will probably see an entirely new generation come out. The Meridian, though not all new, benefits from the comprehensive redesign of the Compass that happened just last year.

Last but not least, there is nothing to beat the pleasure of a new car ownership journey. The anticipation, the delivery experience, the first few months of exploring the vehicle and its capabilities while still enjoying the new car smell and peeling out all the stickers and covers, it is surely worth something!
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 19:46   #12
BHPian

Thank you for all the comments. The polling results so far (34 vs 33) validate my dilemma

At the moment, I'm tilting towards the new Meridian and will make a decision by end of this month. Just to comment on the other options I contemplated: I did a test drive of the new Tucson Diesel and it was indeed very impressive - as expected. However, I am not able to get it around my head that I need to shell out 4 million for a Hyundai 5-seater - Jeep could be much inferior in terms of reliability but there is that snob value, the third row, and the off-roading capabilities all of which more than make it up for that. But yes, Tucson is really good and it's very very hard to choose the Meridian over it. I was also impressed by the Tiguan and would have gone for it if its comfort features and interior feel at least matched that of Tucson's lowest trim.

Regarding Alturas G4 - I was told by the dealers that there are no more stocks available for the 4x4 variant and they have stopped taking new bookings until further notice. Else, it would have been a very strong contender too.

One of the main reasons why I prefer 3-row options for 40 Lakhs as against a much matured Tiguan, Tucson, Compass, or C5 Aircross is not because I would need the 3rd row seats as much - But I would love to have them for backup or emergency use or most importantly, say when we have to go out with friends or extended family for a quick movie or dinner. In such cases, no one really bothers about the comfort, and it's more about the convenience and camaraderie feel of being together in the same vehicle for those quick trips.

Last edited by VinsWagen : 3rd November 2022 at 20:13.
VinsWagen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would not pick either of them. Irrespective of how much money I spend, reliability of the car is going to be my number 1 criteria and unfortunately both your options dont bode well for that. 4yr old SKoda at such a high asking price is a bit of hit or miss in the long run and Jeep has had enough scary stories published on brand new cars.

Do keep in mind that cost of maintenance of your rapid cannot be compared to what you will end up spending on a 40lac + car.

Honda CRV might be a better option but chances of finding one on sale are very low.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 23:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
T But I would love to have them for backup or emergency use or most importantly, say when we have to go out with friends or extended family for a quick movie or dinner. In such cases, no one really bothers about the comfort, and it's more about the convenience and camaraderie feel of being together in the same vehicle for those quick trips.
I haven't checked the third row of Kodiaq but I believe it is identical to the Tiguan Allspace. If that is the case, you can only fit kids under age 10 for short trips in the third row. Asking any adult to sit there is a sheer punishment (if they do manage to sit somehow).
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 13:09   #15

I own a 2 year 8 month old Kodiaq 2.0TDI L&K driven 30k kms. It's been an absolute joy of a machine for me, my family and friends. I have not come across a single person in my circle who travelled in Kodiaq and didn't appreciate its comfort, cabin quality & NVH. I've taken it to extremely punishing roads and driven it for few hundred kms in those circumstances; not even a whimper from the cabin.

The fact is that it's our preferred choice of wheels over some twice the cost SUVs, speaks volumes about the comfort and sense of safety it provides.

28k kms is nothing for this engine. I've seen 100k Km Plus run Kodiaqs being serviced with nothing, except the usual work being performed over them. It's a trouble free machine with a caring owner, you can absolutely go for it. It definitely provides a 2x priced car experience.

I've noticed the resale value of Kodiaq being high for a well maintained specimen.
Crosscountryman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks