Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Choice?
Maruti Grand Vitara 123 40.59%
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder 180 59.41%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 17:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Grand Vitara vs Toyota Hyryder | Which sibling would you choose & why?

Name:  grandvitarahyryderpoll.jpg
Views: 2893
Size:  108.4 KB

Maruti Grand Vitara

Maruti Grand Vitara vs Toyota Hyryder | Which sibling would you choose & why?-marutigrandvitara.jpg

Link to Review

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Maruti Grand Vitara vs Toyota Hyryder | Which sibling would you choose & why?-toyotahyryder.jpg

Link to Review

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 6th October 2022 at 17:19.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 18:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara vs Toyota Hyryder | Which sibling would you choose & why?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

A most interesting poll of two almost identical siblings with small differences in pricing, but big differences in the badge on the hood & after-sales network.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 21:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara vs Toyota Hyryder | Which sibling would you choose & why?

Haven't seen either, sat in either or drove either. So have to reserve comments.

While I appreciate the Hyryder's Harrier (original one) imitating front end and the handsome rear end, somehow the Grand Vitara's design language looks more proportionate. And hate the fact that Toyota is lazy enough not to change even the steering wheel. Look at the VW-Skoda twins. That is how one should share stuff, not slapping on emblems. But then, they didn't even bother changing the dashboard in the mighty Supra, so... But the Hyryder does score on the alloy wheel design and a black colour option, though I don't like how Toyota turned that tasteful chrome applique in the D pillar to a glossy one.

That said and done. Choice is simple.

Grand Vitara if one is going to buy the K15C or AWD versions.

Hyryder if one is buying the hybrid version.
DicKy is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 21:50   #4
BANNED

'Jiski Lathi, Uski Bhains'

Simply, its more of a Maruti than a Toyota and so everything such as ASS, Technical Knowledge will always be greater at Maruti.

I plan to pick up the AWD MT soon!
bhphog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 22:16   #5
BHPian

Since internals are pretty comparable, the only thing that diffentiates the two is the external appearance. A.S.S should be similar for my location.

The HyRyder looks a bit more modern and I like the fluid lines and the shapes of lights of the HyRyder, over the GV which looks a bit more traditional, and the lines are not to my liking.

So I would choose the HyRyder over GV as an academic exercise, and see these guys in the rear view, as for me, its time to go electric.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 6th October 2022 at 22:30.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 22:25   #6
BHPian

Had a discussion on this topic month back with my uncle.
I voted for Vitara, I love the way it looks. Front and rear both feels bolder compared to HyRyder. I personally own a MS and like it, so there might be some bias.

However, my uncle was inclined for the HyRyder, he said that he likes the looks of Vitara but then he mentioned about the Toyota’s name, and how it can make a difference in the quality, even if they are coming out of the same assembly. He never liked MS, I guess he is also biased ��

I feel the discussion would end based on the bias. Also, I haven’t seen any HyRyder so far but spotted a Vitaras already. It seem Vitara would win the game.
Old 6th October 2022, 23:05   #7
BHPian

I always felt that Fully Hybrid and Smart (mild hybrid) are totally different car built on a single design idea. Ideally they should have been two different models for the heart and mind are totally different.

I would pick Hyryder for the Strong Hybrid and Grand Vitara for Allgrip MT for giving us something different from own stable.

NOTA for mild Hybrid of both brands
( Wished at least some features and equipments be significantly different like other twins/cousins in the market ).

Last edited by d-g-p : 6th October 2022 at 23:15.
Old 6th October 2022, 23:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

I will go with respective home advantage, so

Full Hybrid = Toyota
Mild Hybrid = Maruti
Eddy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 08:21   #9

Toyota for the badge value. ASS of Toyota is the best in industry. Maruti is not far behind but maruti sells much more car than Toyota in India and their service centres are also very busy. Even the nexa ones
Old 9th October 2022, 09:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Voted Grand Vitara.
Prefer the looks and the the ASC coverage is just a bonus.

But if buying the strong hybrid with Toyota's powertrain would it be better to go with Toyota over Maruti is another question to deal with.

Last edited by shancz : 9th October 2022 at 09:23. Reason: added strong hybrid option
Old 9th October 2022, 09:38   #11
BANNED

Voted Toyota

2 reasons:
1) Hyryder front end looks better to me
2) Toyota service experience has been exceptionally good for me till date

So it's like having my cake and eat it too, advantage of Toyota service and Maruti spares availability - both in one package.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 09:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted Maruti Suzuki grand vitara.

Context: I've been a customer of Maruti Suzuki till 2011 and then been using Toyota Etios ( 2011 - 2017 ) and then Toyota Innova crysta ( 2017 - till date )

While Toyota customer service used to be very professional, I'm also seeing a steady decline in their professionalism over these years. ( Both from the dealership - Nandi Toyota, Kudlu gate and Toyota's own customer service )

With Maruti, atleast I've a choice to change my service center even within a city. Here I'm stuck with 2 or 3 dealers. Add the unmatched Maruti road side assistance and I'm leaning towards Maruti now.

PS: I'll be penning down a thread soon with why i feel the professionalism of Toyota is coming down consistently in India.
amalji is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 10:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't see much value in mild hybrid and when it comes to strong hybrid, Hyryder is cheaper. I don't see a reason to spend more on Grand Vitara. That said I like to looks of Vitara, though there is not much difference.

Have a Suzuki and Toyota, when it comes to after sales both are similar. As long as you maintain good relationship with dealers, experience has been good with both. Both will try to fleece you in the name of value added service. Suzuki though has centers in smaller towns hence better reach.

Last edited by PrideRed : 9th October 2022 at 10:36.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 10:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
While Toyota customer service used to be very professional, I'm also seeing a steady decline in their professionalism over these years. ( Both from the dealership - Nandi Toyota, Kudlu gate and Toyota's own customer service )...PS: I'll be penning down a thread soon with why i feel the professionalism of Toyota is coming down consistently in India.
Waiting for the thread.

For a person who was borderline fanatically speaking for the Toyota after sales experience during the Etios years, I was taken aback when you kept quiet for your Innova ownership. Guessed it had either to do with a busy work-life or the fact that you were less than impressed by the Innova unlike your Etios D.

A good number of Innova and Fortuner owners in the forum are less than satisfied, more so non-BS6 related issues. Last time we got our Etios D serviced at Nippon Toyota, (I was not present), they had managed to sneak in ~1,500 rupees worth of useless add-ons. So uncharacteristic of them.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 11:25   #15

Coming from a place where we hardly have one Toyota showroom cum services centre and ample lot of MS ones, GV is the default choice unless you want to be distinguished from others.
Marx1997 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks