Other (please specify in your post) 6 1.40%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2023, 16:46   #61
BHPian

Re: Automatic SUV under 20 lakhs for a Honda City Diesel owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I don't know if considering the current gen Creta is worth it considering the fact that the facelift has already launched in foreign markets and the Creta hasn't still been updated with the new 1.5 L DCT.

Overall, I am spoilt for choice here and need to trim down my options.
Even I am so confused with the Creta! Though I don't like the current new face lift of Creta. It makes it look like a larger venue. Hyundai already said that they won't release that variant in India and are working on a new facelift for Creta, specifically for India.

Waiting for the new Creta (almost mid of next year) isn't an option for me. The new seltos is on it's way but am sure it will be 1-1.5lakhs expensive for whatever model I choose.

As for the current Creta, it's a really good car with almost all features one would need. Getting quotes at a good rate too. But the fact it's a 3-4 year old generation model, which will instantly get outdated with the new facelift, is gnawing at the back of my head
sumeetchawla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 18:09   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeetchawla View Post
Even I am so confused with the Creta! Though I don't like the current new face lift of Creta. It makes it look like a larger venue. Hyundai already said that they won't release that variant in India and are working on a new facelift for Creta, specifically for India.

Waiting for the new Creta (almost mid of next year) isn't an option for me. The new seltos is on it's way but am sure it will be 1-1.5lakhs expensive for whatever model I choose.

As for the current Creta, it's a really good car with almost all features one would need. Getting quotes at a good rate too. But the fact it's a 3-4 year old generation model, which will instantly get outdated with the new facelift, is gnawing at the back of my head
You took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree more, Moreover whichever options I check out, they are lacking in one or the other features I am looking for while the Creta and Seltos have almost if not everything I am looking for in my budget.

They are now available with the best offers too, but owning an older generation model does not feel appealing to me and I have kept my purchase on hold till the new Seltos launches hopefully in the next 2 months or so.

Meanwhile, I am looking at taking test drives of whichever options are suggested to me on the forum.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 18:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree more, Moreover whichever options I check out, they are lacking in one or the other features I am looking for while the Creta and Seltos have almost if not everything I am looking for in my budget.
Yup, the current Seltos is also a great car but I completely avoided it cause panoramic roof was something my mom loved. Today itself the Kia SA called me up saying they are giving discounts on old Seltos haha.

The new Seltos will supposedly have it too. So on paper, it does look really good. Latest version of the car, great features, panoramic sun roof etc.

But everywhere I researched, almost everyone said that compared to Creta, Selto's suspension is a bit on the stiffer side and hence the potholes in city are very easily felt. Hoping they fix that in the newer version.

I am almost finalised on the Creta, just waiting for Seltos to come. If it does not have a sun roof, I might just go ahead with the current Creta. At least it's face lift is still 1-1.5 years away hehe

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th May 2023 at 18:58. Reason: Quote content trimmed
sumeetchawla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:06   #64
BHPian

Returning NRI- What Car for around 26 Lakhs

Hello Everyone,

Hope all of you are doing great! I have been a UK resident past 2.5 years & planning my return to India in the next 1-2 months. Now that I am planning my return to India in the next 1-2 months; "What Car" has cropped up again & I have started my research. Starting this thread since I couldn't find a similar thread with my requirements. Mods please merge this thread with an existing one (if there is a similar one).

Historical Context: I drove a Honda City (VX-CVT; 4th Gen- bought in 2015 for approx 14 lakhs OTR) in India. I absolutely enjoyed the fuss-free Honda ownership for 6 years, before moving out of the country in 2021. The itch to replace the car had started creeping by the time I moved so there was not a better time for me to sell it off.

What I loved in my Honda City:
  1. Fuss-free & absolute niggle free ownership for over 75 thousand kilometers it ran over 6 years.
  2. Though I am not sure if 4th Gen was tested by GNCAP or similar; it did well in terms of safety for it's time with 2 airbags, ABS with ABD etc.
  3. Handling & Comfort: The car drove like a charm. I had driven it for 20-22 hours at a stretch (with pee breaks of course) and never felt tired. It was a cocoon in itself.
  4. CVT: I know the enthusiasts might bash me for it with their love for DSGs but I absolutely loved the CVT this Honda had to offer. Rubber band effect was minimal in Drive mode & almost non-existent once Sports mode with paddle shifters kicked in. Loved the transmission.
  5. Space: The car had oodles of space. The Japs know how to extract the maximum space.

What I missed in the Honda:
  1. Infotainment: I like to keep my cars stock, as such the infotainment in the Honda indeed felt old; especially with the modern cars having full-blown TV on the dashboard ; though it was always a "good to have" and not "must have" feature for me.
  2. Ground Clearance was indeed an issue on internal roads in Gurgaon & over those unscientific speed breakers in our country. I love driving to hills & while the City never disappointed me in terms of power, there were indeed certain limitations to where the car could go. Mind you, I am not an off-roader, however, I always felt that if it was an SUV, I would have perhaps made that trip to Spiti Valley (just an example) or some other remote location where I didn't know how the roads would be.
  3. Rattling Interiors & Underpowered Tyres: Rattling was always fixed by Honda Service centers but returned within a few days. I upgraded the shoes on my own after a while.

Here is what I want from the new car:

Must Haves:
  1. Fuss Free Ownership: Honestly; I like my cars to spend more time with me than at the service center. I don't want the thought of inevitable DSG failure keeping me up at night or the engine light popping up for no reason whatsoever within 2 months (or 2 years) of buying the car.
  2. Ground Clearance: I'd prefer a car with a high ground clearance- just because of the abysmally pathetic condition of city roads in India & also because I want the freedom to explore unknown India in the remote hills of Uttarakhand or Spiti or the North East.
  3. Safety & Transmission: I want to car to be as safe as it can be. And I want an automatic.
  4. Budget: I don't like to take loans for my cars; as such; 25 Lakhs OTR is what I have in mind, can be stretched to 30 Lakhs OTR (will probably take a loan for a few lakhs in this case) if the decision is made by heart & not mind.
  5. Space: Confused between a 5-seater & a 7-seater; primarily because 1 seat will be dedicated to a child seat & I'd want the space to comfortably seat 2 more passengers at the back along with a child seat.
  6. Minimal Wait Times: Unfortunately; don't have the luxury of waiting for 6-8 months for the car. Need it as quickly as possible once I am back in India.

Good To Haves:
  1. ADAS: With the abundance of expressways in the country now; it's great to have a car with Adaptive Cruise Control; Lane Departure warning etc.
  2. AWD: Experts might jump in here- I am not an off-roader and neither do I intend to take up off-roading in the near future however I do want to explore the mountains & hills & beaches and whatever else our country has to offer. As such, I expect to cross slushes or muddy country roads etc. I would prefer to be in a situation where I don't need the AWD and have it rather than not having AWD and need it. Open to discussion though since I have little idea of the need of AWD in snow or mud etc. Existing owners of AWD vehicles might chip in here- how many times have you had to actually use AWD in your trips?
  3. Comfort: As my handle says; I am a Lazy Driver- I don't drive to attain the minimum possible 0-100 time frame for a car. I drive sedately and want the car to be comfortable for me & my family on those long 18-20 hours of road trips.

Cars being considered: I am surprised to see the current state of the Indian car market & none of the cars I could find tick all the boxes, costing south of 30 lakhs. Honda has discontinued the CRV which was a dream car since childhood; Nissan doesn't seem to offer anything in the 20-25 lakh segment. Duster with AWD has disappeared from the market. And the options worth considering (Hyundai Tucson for example) are costing over 40 lakhs OTR which could buy you an entry-level Audi just 2-3 years ago. I am just not sure what is happening with the market.

Still; some of the cars I have on my consideration list are below:
  • MG Hector Petrol CVT: It ticks most of the boxes I have, however in most reviews; the petrol motor has been termed inadequate. Is it really true? Will the size of this car be a problem while climbing up the hills? Is the after-sales robust?
  • Mahindra XUV700 AWD Automatic: Love how Mahindra has packaged the car however the niggles & year-long waiting times just don't cut for me. Plus the AWD (which is the pull-in factor for me for this vehicle only comes with Diesel which I am not too keen to buy. Add to that; Mahindra ownership is definitely not fuss-free. What is the forum's opinion on it?
  • Toyota Hyryder (Automatic): I would have bought it with eyes closed if the AWD was offered with Autobox, but unfortunately it doesn't. The interior doesn't look or feel premium. The reviews say that space is an issue & it's not a comfortable car. More importantly, the wait times are too long.
  • Honda Elevate (CVT): I know I am ahead of myself here since the car is not even launched yet but it is indeed a strong contender. Simply because it's a Honda & my previous experience with them has been damn good.

Are there any other cars that I am missing out on? Are there any Sedans perhaps which offer AWD (like they do in Western countries)? Or any other SUVs from Nissan that I might have not seen. I am open to pre-worshipped route as well.

Thank you
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:19   #65
KPR
BANNED

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

With Diesel mill in 2023, 6 airbags as standard, all 4 wheels disc brakes and at about ~14.3L on road price, Creta base trim is total VFM. When Ford exited India, ES Sports diesel trim was 14L price.
Old 3rd June 2023, 19:03   #66
BANNED

Re: Returning NRI- What Car for around 26 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Driver View Post
Are there any other cars that I am missing out on? Are there any Sedans perhaps which offer AWD (like they do in Western countries)? Or any other SUVs from Nissan that I might have not seen. I am open to pre-worshipped route as well.

Thank you
Considering your requirements, the best options would be either the XUV700 or the MG Hector with reasons stated below:

1. MG Hector CVT
The MG Hector comes with almost all the features you will need including ADAS, A bold and commanding presence and spacious interiors. The CVT engine performs adequately, but due to the sheer size and power limited to just 141 bhp and torque at just 250 nm, the driving experience lacks excitement and can be challenging in corners or tight situations. Else for long distance cruising, this is an ideal car due to its smooth and comfortable ride and refined engine.

2. Mahindra XUV700
The Mahindra XUV700 also offers excellent road presence, an airy cabin and a good balance of ride and handling as well. It offers unique feel-good features which other rivals fail to provide in the price range, moreover it comes with powerful engines in both petrol and diesel. However, long waiting times are an issue.

Now coming to your must haves:
1. Fuss Free Ownership: MG cars have been more fuss free than Mahindra owing to their global presence and tried and tested formula working out on their products, Mahindra although had initial niggles with the XUV700, over the years, most of them have been sorted out and there shouldn't be any major issues worth worrying about.

2. Ground Clearance: The XUV700 has 200 mm of clearance while the MG Hector has 192 mm of clearance, both are more than sufficient for tackling bad roads.

3. Safety and Transmission: The Hector comes in a CVT while the XUV700 comes with a Torque Converter AT, The Hector hasn't been tested by GNCAP but considering its siblings have achieved 5-star safety ratings in other NCAPs, it is safe to assume it will too, the Mahindra XUv700 is rated 5-stars by GNCAP.

4. Budget: The Hector will be lighter on the pocket than the XUV700 even if you go for the 7-seater Hector Plus but the XUV700 does offer a better engine and performance to justify the price difference.

5. Space: Space is aplenty in both these cars, and it won't be an issue.

6. Minimal Wait Times: The XUV700 has huge wait times while the MG Hector is available quite readily.

Now to the Good to Haves:
1. ADAS: Both offer ADAS and are worthy considerations.

2. AWD: Considering your requirements, AWD isn't a necessity but in case you require the same just to be able to handle harder terrains, then the Scorpio-N would be a better choice, followed by the XUV700 AWD. But honesty, I don't think you need an AWD.

3. Comfort: Both the XUV700 and the Hector will pamper you, and are comfortable cars for sedate drivers, the XUV700 takes it a step further and offers brilliant performance too.

Now, moving to the other cars you considered, the Hyryder/Grand Vitara don't offer AWD in their automatic variants and the Naturally aspirated 1.5 L Petrol engine isn't the best considering it lacks midrange punch, moreover fit and finish and quality levels leave much to be desired. However, if you are looking for the best fuel economy, then the Hybrid may be considered.

I will reserve my judgement on the Honda Elevate till the time it is launched, which is just a couple of days away.

Hope this helps!
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 23:10   #67
BHPian

SUV recommendations upto 35L

Hello,
My dad owns a 2014 Skoda Rapid TDI, which has clocked 3.12 Lakh KMS on the odo. It had a 3 major services so far and the last engine rebuild cost us 3 Lakhs.
It's definitely time for an upgrade and he wants a SUV.

Requirements are quite simple:
1. Safety is the first priority, absolutely no compromise in this regard (Hence I'm ruling out Hyundai Creta and Kia seltos ).
2. Reliable and Good service: Our usage is definitely edge cases as we drive the car a lot, so the usual maintenance costs don't apply.
3. Good economy: No preference on diesel or petrol as long as it's automatic and returns atleast 13 kmpl in city.
4. Budget is around 30L but can extend it to 35L with a bit of persuasion.

Though there seems to be lot of SUV/ Crossover options from multiple brands, once you start filtering out, there are less options.
As I stated above, I'm not even considering Hyundai/Kia (not changing my mind).
Kushaq and Taigun are out as well, the after sales service is pathetic and if you drive these as much as we do, the service costs go through the roof.
I actually quite like the MG hector, but everyone one I know is recommending against it as the service is bad and quite a few mechanical issues that occur with them. Honestly I don't have much experience with MG cars so long term MG owners please do enlighten me.

Now the cars that made my shortlist.
1. Tata Harrier: It's a no brainer when it comes to safety, also the best looking SUV in this price bracket. but what concerns me is the service, all the Tata owners are saying they aren't happy with the service, also the sales person said the service interval is 5-7k kms or 3 months and each service will costs close to 15k, this has me thinking, as we would have spend at least 60 to 70k a year just in service costs, not considering spares and tires replacement. Need more info this!
2. Toyota Hyryder/Suzuki Grand Vitara (Strong Hybrid): I was initially against the car but after taking a test drive I changed my mind, the car feels good to drive if you disregard the lack of power compared to Rapid. But the selling point is FE in traffic conditions and coming back to our usage, this will save us a lot of money on fuel expenses, but My dad is not completely sold due to cramped space for a SUV and the lack of boot space. My dad is a Civil engineer and would you believe me if you told you he hauls cement bags, bricks, machinery etc. in the boot of our rapid? So the tiny boot space has put him off.
3. Honda elevate: Car looks good on the exterior but I'm not sold on the interior. Waiting for the prices and will decide after test drive.
4. Mahindra XUV700: The waiting period is too long to even consider this car.
5. (Wild card) Toyota Innova Hycross/Suzuki Invicto: Though a MPV, the strong hybrid ticks a lot of boxes for us except the huge dimensions which might make it hard for everyday driving in Bangalore traffic and also finding parking spaces.

Please share your opinions
Thank You.
k491 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 23:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re: SUV recommendations upto 35L

Allow me to throw the Jeep Compass into the ring. Please go through ownership reviews by senior BHPians

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...laxy-blue.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...00-kms-up.html
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 15:29   #69
BHPian

Re: Returning NRI- What Car for around 26 Lakhs

Quote:
Considering your requirements, the best options would be either the XUV700 or the MG Hector with reasons stated below:

Hope this helps!
Hello,

I am looking for a new SUV to replace my Honda Civic.

Can I request you, and others, for suitable guidance?

My budget is 25L.

I am looking for a vehicle with an SUV with ventilated seats, ADAS, 360 camera, 5 seater, AT, any fuel, max 4.4 m length, 2WD, refined engine and interiors, and nimble manners.

My running is puny—barely 500 km a month.

A used Tucson or CRV would suit me just fine but they have no ventilated seats, ADAS or 360-camera.

Can you pl provide your input?
Old 5th September 2023, 10:41   #70
BHPian

Re: SUV recommendations upto 35L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Allow me to throw the Jeep Compass into the ring. Please go through ownership reviews by senior BHPians
Unfortunately Jeep compass (automatic) costs 38L and 41L on road Bangalore.
Old 18th September 2023, 14:38   #71
BHPian

Best car for under 15L : Taigun 1.0 Highline vs Hyryder Neodrive S

Hello everyone,
I was looking to get a new car and was looking at the CSUV market and had narrowed down the shortlist until ending up at the Tata Nexon.
The things that made me change my mind are:
1. The reported quality control issues with the new facelift have put me off getting a Tata car for now.
2. I am expecting the facelift to cost significantly more and hence, push the price up even closer to the next segment.
3. Due to some basics not being available in lower trims, I am having to choose quite a high variant of the car which comes with a lot of electronics and gimmicky features that I don't think I will use a lot

Hence, I checked out the market a bit and came up with two alternatives, but it is hard to decide between the two.

Taigun 1.0 Highline
Advantages: Better fit and finish
Better drive quality
Better interiors
All basic features covered that are missing in Hyryder like rear washer and alloy wheels and interior ambient lighting

Hyryder Neodrive S
Advantages: Toyota reliability and ease of maintenance
Looks better and bigger from the exterior.

The main deciding factor seems to be Volkswagen's apparent possible niggles and reliability issues and costs and smaller size vs Hyryder's relatively bad interior quality, missing features and lots of Maruti parts in the interior.

Need your valuable opinion on the same to help decide.
Other cars in the segment have been ruled out for service, safety or brand reasons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks