BMW X1 20D X-line 74 26.91%
Mercedes GLA 220 D 123 44.73%
Others, please specify 39 14.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2022, 22:07   #31
BHPian

Re: My sister wants to buy a 50-lakh SUV

A doctor with an image to keep almost spells EV these days, thus I would recommend XC40 recharge or Kia EV6. They will guarantee exclusivity, image, green cred and will be a hoot to drive in Kerala.
chaotic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 22:18   #32
BHPian

My personal opinion on vehicle choice for family members:

Unless and until the concerned family member is a Car Enthusiast, I will always buy them a Safe, Comfortable and Reliable car instead of going for Luxury, Power/performance and Badge Value.

So, after reading your requirements I will suggest you to consider new Scorpio N AT which is very easy to drive due to boxy shape and light steering/ controls. It has decent features and should be reliable as well.

If you have to buy among the shortlisted options, I will suggest you to go for Jeep Compass S which is feature packed, easy to drive due to compact dimensions and will save you lot of money compared to the German brands.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 22:23   #33
BHPian

Voted others.

I recommend the Hyundai Tucson. Hyundai is generally reliable. Tucson is fairly feature rich and would give a premium feel. It's a undeniably great package.

Going for the luxury brand would cost a bomb for buying and maintaining. Staying away from them would help save a lot of money and time(waiting for spares).
Benoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 22:49   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
4. Car should suit her profession. She’s a doctor. Whatever that means
Today, the automobile choices of Cochin's doctors is nothing like what it used to be even 5 years ago. I was
astonished when I saw the parking lot for doctors, in a famous hospital that caters to predominantly the
middle class and lower middle class. Its too late for me to switch professions now!

With that out of the way, I feel a wide range of cars will suit your sister.

I would suggest the Citroen C3 and any Mini Cooper that catches her fancy. The rest of the choices recommended by fellow TBHPians are passé in the medical fraternity and / or Cochin's social circles.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd September 2022 at 11:52. Reason: Leaving general mod note instead.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 10:15   #35
BHPian

Jeep Compass without doubt. It's got a great road presence, yet not big and bulky. Great drive, especially with that rocking diesel engine. Looks like a million bucks in all colours. Rugged, yet comfortable. The Jeep brand in India is premium. It's got all the bells and whistles from the modern age. Maintenance costs don't break the bank unlike the Germans. It's the perfect SUV for a woman driver, especially south of 40 lakhs.
fast&curious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 10:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Today, the automobile choices of Cochin's doctors is nothing like what it used to be even 5 years ago. I was
astonished when I saw the parking lot for doctors, in a famous hospital that caters to predominantly the
middle class and lower middle class. Its too late for me to switch professions now!
+1
Not just Kochi, even in Tier II city like mine has hospital Doctors parking lots full of luxury cars from
different makers/ranges. Earlier it used to be full of Citys (3rd gen) and Vernas. I visit 4-5 hospitals few
times a month and it is same everywhere.

OP - Go for Mercedes GLA from the options you listed.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd September 2022 at 11:53. Reason: Leaving general mod note instead
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 12:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

We should cut some slack for doctors :-) Very few doctors reach those income levels and that too after many years of sacrifices involving studies, residency programs and working under senior doctors, etc. It's not like a fresh IIT/IIM grad with startup cash to blow. I am not a fan of modern corporate hospitals and their business model but I feel doctors, among all other professions, deserve a good life. Sorry for going OT.
androdev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 14:06   #38

Quote:
Can you please assist
GLA is no doubt a great choice. The new one recently launched definitely has a SUV stand (still not a full SUV though).

If the badge is not a concern, I would highly recommend New Tucson as well. The safety features, looks, premium finish are of top quality. Since you mentioned you might drive occasionally, 4x4 option will be fun for driving modes.

Definitely would not recommend Compass, as one the SA is known to me and he himself shared lots of insights around the issues in the car. Since you talked about reliability (which I also agree as getting stuck on a roadside is not someone want), Jeep is absolutely out of the picture.

Do let us know the decision

Happy driving
The Blue Panda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 18:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
We should cut some slack for doctors :-) Very few doctors reach those income levels and that too after many years of sacrifices involving studies, residency programs and working under senior doctors, etc. It's not like a fresh IIT/IIM grad with startup cash to blow. I am not a fan of modern corporate hospitals and their business model but I feel doctors, among all other professions, deserve a good life. Sorry for going OT.
Doctors work hard but getting into a top IIT is no trivial matter either. Also once you become doctor you don't have to worry about job security. And your income keeps just increasing as you get more experienced. Compare to this to the IT joe who has to keep re-inventing him/herself to survive in the rat race only to become redundant after a few years.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd September 2022 at 11:56. Reason: Edited partially (last para). Since its going a bit OT anyway.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 20:00   #40
BHPian

We are talking about 50 big ones here, please have your sister to TD all the cars you are considering and few more. Let your her feel the car, experience the ambience and driving dynamics and decide by herself. You may help her with her service part of the brand she decides.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 00:14   #41
BHPian

Thanks all

It was very interesting to see the results of the poll with almost 44% votes swinging towards the Mercedes. My sister test drove the GLA again and guess what, it takes the trophy. We will not need the 4Matic and hence booked the 220D without AWD.

I was almost sure that the votes will go in favour of X1. We had also booked an X1 last Saturday for a ready stock which will go ahead and cancel. Post inside a GLA, BMW interiors looked too bland and non appealing. Since GLA has a 4-5 months waiting, hope BMW announce the price of the new generation X1, so we can re-evaluate at that time.

One downside of GLA is the pricing which one doesn’t get the protection at the time of booking. Upside on the other hand is 8years warranty of the engine and the transmission.

Some of the questions from various posts answered below:

EVs - Sister live in a rented apartment and moves from one to another, do not want the hassle of setting up a charging station every time. Additionally, the car will be used for many interstate travel and cannot live with the range anxiety. I have a high regards for EV and my Vento - a beater car, will soon be replaced by an EV. But that EV has to be under 15lac and should not look like a toy with overdone Blue and Copper Color.

Tucson - as much I was impressed with the car, I was surprised with the safety rating. Even if I overlook that assuming India variant is different, brand recall at this price point is not in favour of Hyundai

Mini Countryman - I personally love the styling but my sister doesn’t. Says too funky to her liking.

Jeep Compass - she loves the car, but she is willing to put a little more for the German brand.

Conclusion for now - She is ready to spend 50, and the car will be kept for 10 years, make sense to stretch for a German brand. Even if GLA is not a pure luxury, brand value to a non enthusiast will appeal.
Jangra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 00:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
This post is on behalf of my sister who wants to buy a luxury SUV with budget of 50lacs.
I'm in the same boat and looking for an entry level compact luxury car in the 50-60L range. My spouse wanted an Audi Q3, but now looking at the price and specs I'm going to wait for the new 2023 BMW X1 when it gets launched in Jan/Feb of next year. I only hope it gets launched without too much delay and priced same as GLA/Q3.

I agree with GTO, Tucson is the sensible one to buy, but won't command brand snob value.

Your point #3 rules out Jeep. I would stay away from Compass, its just an unreliable product and its no luxury brand either.

GLA just seems a bit smaller to me and lack of features is a bummer.

Volvo XC40 recharge is also a great option and priced very fair.

If you can get a good discount for the current BMW X1 Diesel, this is still a very competent, practical and comfortable car, and not a bad option IMHO.

Good luck in your car search for your sister.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:55   #43

You can consider the new Toyota Camry. I'd definitely recommend taking it for a test run at least.
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:57   #44
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note:

Let’s please focus the posts on car suggestions and not take this off topic on Doctors in general.

Thank you for your understanding.
Old 22nd September 2022, 17:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Since GLA has a 4-5 months waiting
In all likelihood, the car will be alloted in the next 30-60 days. I was told that I d be waiting for 3 months but I got it in a month.

Good luck
clementj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks