Kia Carens 9 1.38%
Toyota Innova Crysta 111 17.08%
Mahindra XUV700 254 39.08%
Others (please specify in your post) 6 0.92%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2022, 22:15   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin_Nair View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a Diesel Automatic next year and am confused between XUV 700 and Scorpio N. My usage will be mostly highway trips with family with rare city usage and occasional inter city trips. I test drove both and loved both of them.

My non-exhaustive initial observations after driving both SUV's are below

XUV 700:
Pros:
- Noisy Suspension: This was the Achilles Heel of my drive especially after test driving Scorpio N (more on this later).
Scorpio N:
Pros:
- Ride Quality & Suspension Set up: The set up is really well tuned and it soaked up all of the poor broken roads without filtering any jitters in the cabin...
Hi Sachin,
Short answer: If one doesn't have use for a 4x4 or a BoF's rugged nature, XUV700 is likely to be a more suitable vehicle for regular city and highway use.

Somewhat longer answer: I thought there was more to the ScorpioN 's ride and though it took bigger undulations well, on the whole, it really wasn't as comfortable as the XUV700 or the other unibody competition. There is a long drive-report (with much on the suspension feel) and other discussions on page 16 of Choosing an SUV thread (link (Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N))

Page 1 has reports on many other SUVs including the XUV700. Some discussions around the suitability of the Scorpio-N in the recent posts (pages 19-20). The suspension issue you mention has also been talked about. I found it only when the undulations were moderate and in a certain speed range. More details in the above thread.

A proper long answer: Please go through the aforementioned thread which talks about stability, feedback, transition from control to lack of control of the vehicle, and many other aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Sand gets inbetween the coil spring isolator and creates that noise, they fix it by cleaning it. I'm not sure if any permanent fix is available from the factory for new vehicles, maybe they need to add a sleeve for the McPherson strut to prevent sand from getting there, ....
The kind of sound I heard doesn't correlate well to sand being in the struts, but difficult to be sure on such matters, mate. It was quite loud and sounded partly like the suspension bottoming out (not suggesting it actually did).

The issue has been reported since the early days. Mahindra, I guess, would have known of it even before launch. Hope it is set right soon; more so if it is an easy fix like a sleeve. Mahindra does manage to get its word out when they do good things (such as the reduction of about 6k for removal of sequential indicators being reported), so hope to hear of the improvement soon.
Old 10th October 2022, 10:33   #92
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

What is see in this tread is counter to what the initial con’s suggested by the reviewer. –

The winners broadly are XUV, Scorpio, Crysta & Safari.

Lets me talk about Crysta first, its no bells and whistle car. Yet everyone is willing to spend 24lac + on it. Thanks to its no nonsense attitude, excellent service, composed ride, and trust in Toyota. Period. There is no competition to this car.

Now lets talk of the other 3 Indian Make cars, the common message for any M&M or a Tata review is –
1. Tata's or M&M’s after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
2. Concerns over niggles & bugs in a freshly baked, complex Mahindra & Tata Cars
3. Willingness to invest 20Lac + on a M&M or a Tata Car..

I will strongly recommend all the reviewers here, you have been proved wrong. Just 4 cars (Harrier, Safari, XUV 7OO and Scorpio together gather more then 15K cars month for almost a year now). Hence lets move away from his preconceived notion of these bands being accepted or their niggles or service a issue. Lets give credit where it is due.

Now returning back this post, I voted for a Safari, Yes its not the most powerful, nor has the biggest boot, But it’s the most comfortable, and rides beautifully. I have driven and also sat in the 2nd row in an XUV 7OO, Safari & a Crysta over the last few weeks on my trips back and forth between Bangalore and Mysore.

And I can strongly say
Comfort:- all 3 are very comfortable with Safari a few points extra for the plus feel when switching from express way to deviations and back on the express way.
Ride:- Crysta Takes extra points for better ride on all seats.
Power:- XUV 7OO – pushes you back in the seat
Presence on road:- Safari / XUV 7OO – both have awesome presence but heart says Safari feels more real then XUV.
OverAll:- I will go for Safari as its more relaxed to drive, while the comfort is more plush on both 1st and 2nd row & Auto Gear box makes for a very stress / fuss free drive.
rajchetan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 20:09   #93
BHPian

To Buy or Not - XUV 700 Vs Scorpio N Vs New Safari

Hey All,

Trust you are doing well!

I recently moved job with a favourable 'Car Lease Plan' the scheme seems tempting, helping save around ~20% on car costs (tax saving + maintenance + Driver claims)

Currently, I drive a pre-owned SAIL UVA - 36k on the odometer in decent condition - no body noise, smooth engine and gear, doesn't look aged from outside too..highly reliable - never failed ever)

Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others-img20221229154551.jpg

Thinking ahead of curve: the car has a life till 2029 and our car need is for two of us, but being a GM car finding spares may become scarier with time, and the car value may also go doing currently the value is hardly 20% less than what I paid for 2 years back

Now, the lease plan temptation made me take a serious test drive ( other than the causal one I keep doing )

1. Scorpio N - Just love it for A. the commanding driving position and 5 Star rating
2. Safari - The current one gives the true experience of a full-version SUV - the look, feel and road presence
3. XUV 700 - smoothest among all - an experience like driving a sedan from the inside.. cool car

*All diesel AT, Mid variant

Seeking to advise from the enlightened one here (from the car world, personal finance and giving outside-in views)

Questions:

1. Should I continue to drive the current car, because it's just two of us - going to any 5 seaters won't change much for us!
2. If I buy should I wait for the NEW safari before making a call between Scorpio, XUV 700 & current Safari
3. increasing car prices also makes me lean towards buying one now - any thoughts on future car prices?
4. The age and explore - on top of everything the thoughts come - this is the time to buy a car and explore the world ( love taking long drives )

Eager to hear thoughts from experts here!
Arayan5614 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 23:44   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: To Buy or Not - XUV 700 Vs Scorpio N Vs New Safari

Use your existing car a bit more , do a few road trips and you will get a perspective of what you want from a new car, what you want to do with it etc.

What next?

Get a nice car that would suit your requirements.

Yes cars are going to get more expensive over time but that's okay, there is no need to hurry and get them now.

But if you need any more temptation , just take a test drive of an XUV AT again , drive it for a bit longer and then go through this decision making process all over.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 00:19   #95
BHPian

If your existing car is fine, do not ever sell it . It will always hold its own value for your use case in future.

The options your listed will be fine tuned as the days go by. Reconsider this decision maybe after 2 years to see if you need a car then.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 01:01   #96
BHPian

Well most of us would generally push to upgrade to a better ride but considering your usage I would say wait a little.
XUV after more than a year of its launch still has little niggles that would take away your new car experience.
Same with Scorpio (I guess?)
Harrier and Safari are in for an update. Their touchscreens look ancient and they have little disturbing ergonomic issues.

So if possible I would suggest you wait a little.
Maybe at auto expo TATA may give us a surprise.

One thing I learned from Indian automotive Scene is Patience, after experiencing it a hard way.
When we had to replace our 2012 XUV500 we hastily made a decision and got home Hector in November 2020 (within a week of booking). I didn’t check for any news regarding facelift or anything. Then came January 2021 and news of face lifted Hector gave us a FOMO .
This was further enhanced by launch of XUV700 in September 2021. (Though the niggles reported later gave us some consolation)

So for each for his own, maybe you should drive your car more and see what actually you need in your new car. And maybe in meantime you further enhance your budget for a even better car.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 03:39   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arayan5614 View Post

Currently, I drive a pre-owned SAIL UVA - 36k on the odometer in decent condition - no body noise, smooth engine and gear, doesn't look aged from outside too..

Now, the lease plan temptation made me take a serious test drive ( other than the causal one I keep doing )
I totally understand your feeling and thought process, as I too have been personally in same situation. Like you, I resisted the temptation and seeked advice.
What I found via my discussions is that it's a simple decision:

IF, your existing car is no longer fit for purpose and you really need to upgrade, just go for it.

However, if your current car is serving you well, just because you have a lease plan option, do not go for it yet. Wait till you really see that one car that will make a difference in your life and then put your hard earned money out in the market.

The mathematical calculations I did few years back showed that any tax savings obtained via lease plan more or less get negated by the loss you will suffer on value of new car(s). Do remember that while you save 30% tax, you also pay interest on the leased amount. So, your net saving is closer to 20% (or whatever number based on your actual Lease T&Cs).

If you need Maths to be favourable to you, your new car should be more or less similar to the price range of your original car (which we Indians normally don't do).
Otherwise, you are swapping a well working car (depreciation normally becomes slower with number of years passed) for a more expensive car (more expensive and higher depreciating).

So, my 2 cents, will be to assess the practical need (irrespective of Lease Plan). Treat LeasePlan as a tool to achieve a need, rather than a must do.
HarshVShrotriya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 08:23   #98
BHPian

As long as your current car is working well, keep it. Once it starts giving you problems, you would be better off with a new car. But considering the fact that your car is over 8 years old, now would be a good time to consider an upgrade, considering its age and mantenance issues which are likely to crop up and with Chevrolet having shut shop in India, spare parts availability will only dwindle with time. So all things considered, if you feel that the car wont give you much problems for the next couple of years, keep it, else you would be better off selling it.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 16:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Like others have already stated, if your existing car is fine, do not sell it.
There is an impending doubts on the recession hitting India.

In such situations I would suggest to hold onto the finances for now, especially since your car is still in pretty good condition and hardly 4 years old. Hold onto it atleast for 2-3 years more and then look for an upgrade.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 17:03   #100
BHPian

Firstly ask the question to yourself - Do you need a new car and why?
The answer - because I have a car lease option from my employer is not a good answer.

However, it won't do any harm to plant this seed in your mind of buying a new car and begin your research. Since your current car is ~8 years old (as I understand), and isn't falling apart, it means you have the luxury of time and are in no hurry to close the deal. Wait for new models & updates coming in 2023. Simultaneously, analyze your needs.

With this research complete, plan to make the purchase late 2023/early 2024. By then, the clouds of recession would have gone by (hopefully without raining), refreshed models of the Harrier/Safari would be released, niggles of Mahindra ScorpioN & XUV700 sorted (at least partially) AND most importantly, your current car would be approaching the 10 year mark which feels like a good time to upgrade, given that technology matures and moves on, and maintenance costs also begin increasing.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 17:35   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arayan5614 View Post
Hey All,

Trust you are doing well!

Currently, I drive a pre-owned SAIL UVA - 36k on the odometer in decent condition - no body noise, smooth engine and gear, doesn't look aged from outside too..highly reliable - never failed ever)

Thinking ahead of curve: the car has a life till 2029 and our car need is for two of us, but being a GM car finding spares may become scarier with time, and the car value may also go doing currently the value is hardly 20% less than what I paid for 2 years back
Hello Arayan. Good Day. I am a regular user of Sail LS Sedan (ABS) and this is the car I have learnt to drive on. I must have done some 10-15k on the ODO of the car. The car is a solid all rounder and is currently on 98.2K KMS of the ODO reading.

I advice that you do not sell the car for the following reason:
  • 1. Your car has done only 36k and that means your running isn't much and that's why you got the pre-owned car in first place. The MSRP is always going to go down since it's a depreciating asset. So, it's now or never kind of question.
  • 2. Cars will only get expensive here after and there is no going back on that. Buy the new car if you have a solid need for it and you see yourself clocking a lot of figures on the ODO, then do it. If not, wait for a few years down the line. Take the Sail on a long trip, get some perspective and see if it changes your mind.
  • 3. Sail is a solid built car and I can say satisfactorily that, even though GM didn't sell many of those around it does a lot of things better than the competitors and while part are scarce, you can find a lot of them on Boodmo if that is what you are worried out.
  • 4. Ultimately, it's always head v/s heart, so like someone said here "[Iupgrade ]your existing car, when it is no longer fit for purpose and you really need to upgrade, just go for it."[/i]

I hope this helps.
Bismaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 20:35   #102
BHPian

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions and input! super super helpful!

reading all the insights helped getting some different perspectives;

1. Just because of the car lease policy - considering an upgrade mayn't be the thing to go for

2. I do agree with the quality and reliability of Chevy cars - I don't have reasons to let go this car other than the desire to upgrade!

3. I Took a long drive this weekend - about 600km from Bangalore to Chickamagluru round trip: A couple of observations from the trip especially after I already had test driven XUV700, Scorpio N, Safari;
a. the car AC needs some attention - took more than 15 minutes (felt like infinity) to cool down the car temperature
b. the car didn't feel very comfortable - guess the test drive of all those new cars has left some mark on the sense of comfort
c. feel of the upgrade seems becoming stronger - Fingers crossed!

4. Really appreciate the reminder about 'the auto expo' - Looking forward to it and hope to get some rational reasons to wait for some more time!

for now, I'm holding the car - and only booking one probably after the auto expo!

can't appreciate enough all the inputs here!! thanks a ton again!!
Arayan5614 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 06:46   #103
BANNED

New car under 25 lakhs for a 4th Gen Honda City Owner

Hello BHPians!

Our family has been in a dilemma lately, my father used to drive Hondas all his life, beginning with a 1988 Honda Civic which was a 4-speed automatic in Muscat, right until the 2014 4th Gen Honda City Diesel which he bought back home here in Kerala. Now he feels the itch to upgrade and is planning on getting an SUV or a sedan, he still hasn't made up his mind yet. He prefers an automatic now, with the City being a manual, he feels it's time to move on to an automatic car. In his mind, the next car he buys should be an all-rounder, with enough boot space, good engine and performance, and not too fuel-thirsty either, with ours being a small family of 4, space inside the cabin was never an issue. He is not a fan of fancy features or a sunroof and doesn't mind a base-spec model either as long as it is automatic.

He would have ideally loved to have a Honda, but with Honda just having the City and Amaze in its portfolio, we had to look elsewhere.

With these considerations in mind, we put up a shortlist of possible candidates for our next car restricted to a budget of 25 lakhs on-road in Kerala.
  1. Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel AT 7 Seater
  2. Tata Harrier XZA Diesel AT
  3. Mahindra Scorpio-N Z8 Diesel AT 2WD 7 Seater
  4. Toyota Innova Hycross GX
  5. VW Virtus GT Plus 1.5 TSI EVO DSG
  6. Skoda Slavia Style 1.5 TSI DSG

These were some of the cars that we felt were meeting our requirements, although we don't necessarily need a 7 seater, nor do we need an SUV, we didn't find too many sedans in the market which piqued our interest.

Feel free to offer all your recommendations and any other cars which we could consider. All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 07:08   #104
BHPian

Re: New car under 25 lakhs for a 4th Gen Honda City Owner

That's quite a dilemma you got there! with SUVs being the craze in the market right now, the number of sedans under 25 lakhs has been dwindling with hardly a handful of sedans available, The ones which are available are:

1. Marui Suzuki Ciaz
A Maruti car that last got a facelift in 2018, that's almost 5 years and with an ancient 4-speed TC AT onboard with an aging cabin, it isn't the best option available.

2. Hyundai Verna
The Verna is due a facelift this year and the facelift could be worth considering, now that Hyundai has dropped the Elantra from its lineup.

3. Honda City 5th Generation
Considering the fact that you've had a 4th generation City diesel manual, why not go for the 5th generation City CVT, the i-VTEC is a gem of an engine and much more refined than the diesel too.

4. VW Virtus and Skoda Slavia
The VAG twins are new cars, recently launched, with adequate power and performance, space and practicality as well, Definitely options worth considering.

As far as SUVs are concerned, I think the Mahindra XUV700 is the best choice out there within your budget, going for a Ladder on frame SUV like the Scorpio-N doesn't seem to be the best option when moving from a sedan. The recently launched Innova Hycross also seems to be a good option as well, provided you are able to go for the Hybrid powertrain which should offer excellent mileage too.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 09:22   #105

Buying Dilemma - Scorpio N 4WD Vs Tata Safari

Dear BHPians,

For the last 2 months, am stuck at making a decision between Scorpio N 4WD and Tata Safari.

Background:

I wanted to upgrade from my Renault Duster AWD 110PS to a bigger SUV (Will never sell my Duster and use it as my second buddy) for my day-to-day usage.
I drive extensively on work and otherwise (Avg 2000 - 2500 Kms a month).
Usage - 80% on city / Highway tarmac and 20% on unpaved roads. Very rarely or almost no adventurous off roading
Car will be driven both by me and my wife and need to accommodate 4 adults and 2 kids with our luggage and camera gears.

Choices considered:

Preloved Fortuner, Ford Endeavour, Scorpio N, Isuzu V Cross, Toyota Hilux & Tata Safar
Also waited for Thar 5 Door & Jimny 5 Door
Fortuner and Hilux was rejected as the budget was not approved by the Finance minister.
After much deliberation on usage and practicality factors narrowed it to Scorpio N 4WD and Tata Safari Top end.

Both these options costs about 25-30L on road in Bangalore

NOW this is where am stuck for quite a long time and decided to turn to the experts for an opinion!

Advantage Scorpio N:
  1. Like the modern look of the Scorpio N over the classic
  2. Higher seating position and feel like in a truck than a Pseudo SUV
  3. 4WD with differentials
  4. Better Torque (400 Vs 350 on Safari)

Advantage Safari:
  1. Tata's build quality and safari looks nice
  2. Higher ground clearance (205 Vs 187 on N)
  3. Split 3rd row to open up space for luggage with 6 people onboard
  4. Creature comforts inside for the occupants
  5. Much shorted waiting period (I may end up getting the 2024 Scorpio N )

After reading about Ownership reviews on both, am pretty convinced on after sales service, service network and reliability on both brands.

Would like to hear from the community to make my purchase. Thanks in advance and wishing all a very happy 2023
nandakumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks