Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Kia Carens would you buy?
1.5L Petrol 24 9.34%
1.4L Turbo-Petrol 78 30.35%
1.5L Diesel 155 60.31%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2022, 17:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Carens | 1.5L Petrol vs 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

Diesel + 6AT
The ultimate combination for fuel economy, reliability and peace of mind.

The turbo petrol may be powerful but it is too sensitive to throttle inputs to be consistently efficient. Also, I am not convinced about the long term reliability of these direct injection engines. Especially considering milawat (adulteration), or ethanol blending, will now be mandatory. I won’t spend my money on these engines till the company explicitly says they are E20 compatible. Then there is the dry clutch DCT, which is a can of worms of its own.

The turbo petrol DCT engine option is fine for light users, of those who keep the car for 4-5 years. But heavy users and those who retain their cars for 7-10 years will be better off with the diesel + torque converter automatic. You can always remap if you feel the need of some extra oomph.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 20:06   #17
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens | 1.5L Petrol vs 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

Great timing for this thread!!! For me, 1.5L diesel auto is the pick. Reliable, frugal and adequate power. I will be picking the same combo shortly.
Old 11th March 2022, 21:46   #18
BHPian

What a timing for this thread. Booked Carens Luxury Plus 6S MT in Glacier White Pearl today morning. We wanted a 6 seater and hence the choice was limited to the Luxury Plus top model.

We have owned an ertiga earlier (2013 ZDI) and hence appreciate the practicality which these MUVs offer. The ertiga was underpowered no doubt with the FIAT 1.3 MJD engine but using the manual gearbox we could somehow manage on the highway with turbo kicking in at 2000 RPM.

Since the vehicle will be 95% chauffer driven + our driving is mostly on highway and tier 2 locations for this car. Hence we chose the manual and 6 seater was chosen for additional comfort as we already have a safari for 7 seat duties.

The MT Diesel clutch is light and as pointed by GTO in his review the torque kicks in quite low in the rev range and we also observed during the test drive that the vehicle could easily pull from 4th / 5th gear from 1000+ rpm without requiring a downshift. Additionally driving the carens it feels like the car is not so big (whereas my safari TC feels much bigger in comparison).

Additional advantage of Manual will be lower maintenace and approx. 3 Kmpl additional mileage.
Old 12th March 2022, 00:26   #19
BHPian

Its a difficult position to be in i.e turbo petrol in NCR is preffered engine however DCT technology is quite unreliable so what to choose becomes tough.

Outside NCR just buy diesel as it is good engine and gearbox combo.
Old 12th March 2022, 02:25   #20
BHPian

I had made up my mind to buy an automatic. Carens had very limited choice with only Petrol DCT & Diesel AT. While buying a car with 20L+ on stakes, I will not like to risk even with 1% chance of failure. So DCT was out of question.

- DCT has history of not so good reputation in terms of reliability
- Carens is a bigger & heavier car. Some day with full load and sudden/abrupt accelerations or too much work on gearing, there is a slight chance of misbehaviour of DCT
- Also not sure how much will extended warranty cover DCT issues. Service Centers have a unique pattern to escape by blaming on driving styles.
- In terms of resale, if by chance there are few cases reported, it will become a nightmare to sell.

So better to go for a reliable option of Diesel AT or look for another car.
Quite evident that Delhi people have a tough choice with 10 year life of Diesel cars. Another challenge being Diesel AT is only available in top model.

I strongly believe next iteration of Carens will have more choices in terms of automatic. Might introduce iVT or clutch free options as well as Diesel AT in lower trims.
dextor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 06:06   #21
BHPian

My choice was top end diesel AT. Booked it the day bookings started.

And then they announced the pricing.

The 1.5 petrol Prestige variant is suvh a VFM, I just couldn't justify spending 8 lakh more on the top end.

The 1.5 NA engine is straightaway 2.5 lakh cheaper than the other two on offer. That's big! Carens top end at 20 lakh is in XUV700 territory, whose engines are head and shoulders above anything in Carens.
Old 12th March 2022, 06:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
you have mentioned that Kia Carens diesel AT which is available in the top variant only, has better alternatives in the market.
My personal opinion!

I strongly think Carens is based on the Sonet. You can read my reasons here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5261573 (Kia Carens Review)

Hence, I am not comfortable with paying above 15 lakhs ex-showroom for something based on the B segment. Over here, the road tax slab too changes at 15 lakhs. A MPV is brought with one's head, so it's simply cold calculation!

Besides, Prestige Plus has everything I need. Unlike Sonet or Seltos, this Kia gets 6 airbags, rear wiper, 4 disc brakes, adjustable headrests... Carens Prestige Plus D AT will be a no brainer in that showroom and maybe Kia also knows this too well.

But closer to 20 lakhs OTR, I will prefer a car from the next segment. I am also willing to let go off the 3rd row for a better car 95% of the time, if necessary!

Last edited by deetjohn : 12th March 2022 at 06:42. Reason: adding a note.
Old 12th March 2022, 08:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
My personal opinion!

I strongly think Carens is based on the Sonet. You can read my reasons here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5261573 (Kia Carens Review)

Hence, I am not comfortable with paying above 15 lakhs ex-showroom for something based on the B segment. Over here, the road tax slab too changes at 15 lakhs. A MPV is brought with one's head, so it's simply cold calculation!

Besides, Prestige Plus has everything I need. Unlike Sonet or Seltos, this Kia gets 6 airbags, rear wiper, 4 disc brakes, adjustable headrests... Carens Prestige Plus D AT will be a no brainer in that showroom and maybe Kia also knows this too well.

But closer to 20 lakhs OTR, I will prefer a car from the next segment. I am also willing to let go off the 3rd row for a better car 95% of the time, if necessary!
If prestige plus for Diesel AT were to exist for Carens, majority bookings would have been for the same variant. Kia knows that providing diesel AT only in the top end would still keep their positioning intact.

I wanted to buy Ertiga/XL6 with 6 airbags and a 'contemporary' TC gearbox OR Innova Crysta AT with 6 airbags within 20L OR Safari with lighter low speed steering and 6 airbags within 20L again BUT none of them exist and Kia knew this and so the positioning of Kia Carens variant.

As of today, No alternative actually exist for Carens' variants lineup that match the VFM ratio that Carens has introduced in a space that was completely vacant till now.

As far as platform sharing is concerned, it's the end product that matters and Carens is strictly for families who love to travel together. For a need of 5 seater, there is already a red ocean (multiple options as part of rigorous competition) available in the market.

Yes I also feel robbed having to spend 20L on Carens diesel AT (only available in top variant) but considering no alternative as a new car and used car market already exorbitant, any variant choice in Carens as of today seems justified
achintatri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 10:22   #24
BHPian

I would pick the 1.5 Diesel over the 1.4 Turbo Petrol, not because its my engine of choice, but purely because I'd prefer the reliability of the TQ over the fun to drive DCT. I like to keep my cars for long (my Punto has been with me for 12 years now) and wouldnt want to keep worrying about DCT breakdown and getting stranded because of that.

Peace of mind is high on my priority list right now. I think i am getting old!
Old 12th March 2022, 11:18   #25
BHPian

I would pick the 1.5 Diesel mill with Torque converter any day. It is frugal , no DCT issues and has creature comforts like ventilated seats!
And I find it really ergonomic in the way the seats are just at the hip levels and Eases ingress/egress for people, especially older people.
Carens is one of the very few budget cars that has a decent boot space AND a usable 3rd row and scores over current
Ertiga - no diesel option/ safety features
Innova - better 3rd row and obviously cheaper to buy and own
Carnival - obvious
To boot, there is no AdBlue/DEF!

Last edited by careind : 12th March 2022 at 11:34. Reason: Additional ramblings
Old 12th March 2022, 11:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wouldn't go for the 1.5L NA as it's the least impressive engine of the bunch. Doesn't make sense unless you are restricted by budget.

Between the turbo-diesel and turbo-petrol, the answer is simple. High running & quest for reliability = the diesel. Lower running & faster performance = the petrol.

I would personally go for the diesel as I have a heavy right foot, and turbo-petrol ATs guzzle like crazy at high rpm. I'm also not convinced about the long-term reliability of the DCT. Lastly, I feel a Diesel AT just suits a 7-seater more than a petrol.

In traffic, I prefer the low speed smoothness of a torque-converter to the inconsistent behaviour of a DCT. So, there you go.
I'd wholeheartedly agree. This was my logic in booking the top of the line Diesel AT. It got delivered couple of days ago. Though haven't driven it much but can say my purpose of having a no nonsense diesel AT for family duties in and around the city seems to be have been sufficiently fulfilled.
Old 14th March 2022, 22:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
I'd wholeheartedly agree. This was my logic in booking the top of the line Diesel AT. It got delivered couple of days ago. Though haven't driven it much but can say my purpose of having a no nonsense diesel AT for family duties in and around the city seems to be have been sufficiently fulfilled.
@abs182, congratulations on your new Kia Carens. If you don't mind, could you please let us know on which date had you booked the vehicle.
Old 15th March 2022, 07:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
Yes I also feel robbed having to spend 20L on Carens diesel AT (only available in top variant) but considering no alternative as a new car and used car market already exorbitant, any variant choice in Carens as of today seems justified
Carens 1.4 Turbo DCT Prestige Plus is 17.65 lakhs on road.
Carens 1.5 Diesel AT Luxury Plus is 21 lakhs on road.

Is it really worth that whopping difference of 3.35 lakhs??

Prestige Plus gets all the safety kit as standard unlike Sonet or Seltos too! Hope Kia makes it the standard soon.

So, does it make sense to go for that Diesel AT if the running is not substantial and one doesn't have frequent highway runs to unclog that DPF??

Hyundai/ Kia DCT is conservatively tuned, so I guess it should hold up and relatively stress free during that extended warranty period. And unlike Sonet which gets the 1 liter 3 pot, this is a properly fast 4 cylinder turbo petrol.

That's why I mentioned the choice as is made out on this poll is not that clear cut.
Old 15th March 2022, 08:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Carens 1.4 Turbo DCT Prestige Plus is 17.65 lakhs on road.
Carens 1.5 Diesel AT Luxury Plus is 21 lakhs on road.

Is it really worth that whopping difference of 3.35 lakhs??

Prestige Plus gets all the safety kit as standard unlike Sonet or Seltos too! Hope Kia makes it the standard soon.

So, does it make sense to go for that Diesel AT if the running is not substantial and one doesn't have frequent highway runs to unclog that DPF??

Hyundai/ Kia DCT is conservatively tuned, so I guess it should hold up and relatively stress free during that extended warranty period. And unlike Sonet which gets the 1 liter 3 pot, this is a properly fast 4 cylinder turbo petrol.

That's why I mentioned the choice as is made out on this poll is not that clear cut.
The answer to to your question is: No it is not worth spending more than 3L rupees for an automatic however unfortunately diesel AT is available only in the top spec.

Reason for choosing diesel automatic is straightforward: TC is much more reliable than DCT + There would be a substantial difference in fuel saving especially when you will drive with full load and on inclines.

How often would you want to drive 'enthusiastically' with your parents and kids on-board if you are driving petrol DCT?

I agree with you on DPF regeneration thing but high probability with low impact (manual dpf regeneration) is still better than low probability and higher impact (DCT failure).

I would have loved to pick a prestige plus diesel AT if it were to exist but unfortunately and for this vehicle type especially, there seems to be oligopoly now and thus not many options to negotiate on price.
Old 15th March 2022, 15:11   #30
BHPian

I have gone for 1.5NA Prestige variant as it seems to fulfill my requirements 90% of the time. Vehicle is to be used by my parents with low annual running and I cant see the vehicle being fully loaded more than 3 or 4 times in a year. No DCT issues and no DPF issues, translates to fuss free ownership or my parents.

Yet to test drive, but given the engine is slightly more powerful than the ones on XL6/Ertiga, it should do the job I feel.

Also, cant justify shelling out additional 3 lacs for the DCT!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks