Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2024, 03:02   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaushik View Post
Will I have a richer experience on the SN? Or it's not worth moving a segment up? Or the more luxurious Creta will age well n be more fulfilling? Also my wife insists on ride comfort more than features.

Note: I drive a ecosport now. It's me n my wife only. I m a sedate driver and enjoy the driving experience.
Coming from an EcoSport, do keep in mind the body roll and suspension behaviour on uneven highways. SN and Creta, both can be different from your EcoSport in these areas. I suggest you take a long test drive on the highway to get a feel.

Either would age well and should keep you happy for 10 yrs if it meets your requirements. SN can be a tad big for just 2 just people when going around the city.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2024, 16:10   #557
BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Coming from an EcoSport, do keep in mind the body roll and suspension behaviour on uneven highways. SN and Creta, both can be different from your EcoSport in these areas. I suggest you take a long test drive on the highway to get a feel.
Test drove the ScorpioN and the Alcazar (wife is against the Creta because it's so common).

Alcazar petrol DCT signature: Very lavish interiors, typical Hyundai build quality and a good place to spend while driving. Lumber support of the seats could have been better. Great cameras and touch screen. Lots of gizmos to fiddle around but I m not particularly interested in that front.
The drive is very car like, the DCT is a bit slow to start off but picks up speed well. Not exactly peppy as it's a heavy car with the same Creta engine. But not boring either.
Suspension is comfort oriented but not too soft. Holds its line well. Potholes big and small are dealt with nicely at city speeds with minimum noise from the suspension and the ride is very comfortable. Fuel efficiency showed on the screen:9.7kpl.
Verdict: Nothing great, nothing bad at all, hence nothing to write home about. Does the job well.
What do I love about the Creta/Alcazar? Nothing at all, but there is not a single point which I hate. And that I love.

ScorpioN Petrol AT Z8L: Functional good looking interiors and feels that it's built to last. Rear view camera feels like a 2mega pixel one, just gets the job done. But it's laggy, takes around 1.5secs to load. Will be frustrating if you are in a hurry.
Steering is very soft and smooth and didn't feel like I m driving a big SUV. Cabin is cocooned well from outside noise, similar to the Alcazar and it feels like you are sitting on the first floor. I can now see how it gives a sense of power, other cars make way for you.
I was concerned about the ride and my thoughts were true. I drove over a long flyover with minimal traffic and also under a under-construction flyover with bad segments of broken tarmac and potholes (different route than what I took with the alcazar). On the flyover, it picks up speed in an instance, the torque is addictive, the engine just let's out a slight growl and off it goes and suddenly it 90kph. But yes it sways, very less but coming from a monocoque, the vertical movement is felt, more so because I was so high off the ground. But the handling is spot on and not unnerving at all even at speed (~80-90kph).
But sudden lane changes makes you sway sideways. It didn't feel much when I was driving because I was in the thick of action but on the return drive, I sat on the backseat where I felt the movement. On the slow broken road, the wobble was more apparent.
The SA told me to drive fast in these broken patches to smoothen the ride, but how can I drive fast if there are other cars in front of me which have slowed down because of the potholes. I suspect that will often be the case. I can't always blast through broken roads if there is traffic. I will have to slow down.
I had reset the fuel efficiency display before the test drive. In the end it showed 8.3kpl where I was driving 70% of the time. (I trust Hyundai's electronics more than Mahindra's btw).
What do I love about the ScorpioN? Those who know what it's capable of and have the usecase for it, the negatives (slow speed ride, niggles, service experience etc) won't matter at all. If you love it for what it is, nothing else will do. Btw did I mention the added "bhaukaal" it oozes.

For me the search is not over yet, although it 70% in favour of Hyundai.

Last edited by jkaushik : 29th September 2024 at 16:17.
jkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks