Kia Sonet 54 13.99%
Tata Nexon 123 31.87%
Maruti Ignis 18 4.66%
Other (please specify in your post) 14 3.63%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2022, 00:03   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch vs Renault Kiger vs Nissan Magnite vs Maruti Vitara Brezza vs others

I'd say you get the Ignis eyes closed. I've had the Zeta petrol manual for over 4 years now and the ownership experience has been Hassle free!! Back in 2018 when I was looking for a car to replace my aging Santro Xing I had almost finalized the tigor petrol but thought of getting a second opinion before taking the plunge. Reached out to an acquaintance who was at a senior position in Tata motors power train department hence he knew the products in and out.

He told me, "if you need a petrol powered small car for city use, avoid Tata. Those engines don't age well. Had you asked for a diesel option, I would've suggested the Zest as I also own one and haven't faced any trouble with it. Go for any Maruti car. The K12 engine is a tried & tested motor and will serve you well."

That's how I ended up with the Ignis and it has turned out be a good decision. The refinement level of the 1.2 4 cyl engine is just amazing ��. However if you are still inclined towards the Punch I would recommend you test drive the Punch and Ignis back to back if possible and then decide.
yatesh.92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 00:52   #92
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch vs Renault Kiger vs Nissan Magnite vs Maruti Vitara Brezza vs others

My mother had a very similar driving pattern and we had a brief test drive of Ignis a few years back. Her first reaction was that despite the slightly bigger dimensions it feels almost similar to driving an Alto (which was her regular drive) and she instantly liked everything else about the car. I think your wife feels the same as well since her daily drive is a Maruti 800.

In my opinion her decision is a pretty good one and since her vehicle will be used primarily in the city, the safety kit that comes with Ignis is pretty decent. You are anyways buying a car which will be more safer than Maruti 800 in every way possible.
Silent Buddha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 10:54   #93
BHPian

Go for the Ignis without any hesitation. Tata petrol engines are at least a generation behind if not more in refinement, fuel efficiency, drivability and what not than a Nexa. Reliability is also an uncharted territory. Tata ASCs are hit or miss. Internet is full of examples of harassment of Tata customers post purchase which may happen to any new customer. Crash tests are conducted at 64 kmph, so the so called build quality may not be that practical in the event of higher speed collision, though welcomed. Tata should improve the aforementioned parameters where it is underperforming as much as it is concentrating on the body shell/safety thus masking its inability to improve those core parameters somewhat. Also Nexa hospitality brings positive vibes to the potential customers than the lackluster Tata showrooms.
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 09:56   #94
BHPian

I’m in the same boat as you. We are on the lookout for a second city car. And our options were Kwid, espresso, and C3. Ruled out all three as c3 is quite big for a city car. Espresso because of its love it or hate it looks. And Kwid because of its very high, price to finish and what is offered ratio(climber is 7 lakhs on road in BLR after discounts). Ignis and punch were late entrants. We loved both the cars and were in a dilemma. But we have finally decided to go with Ignis.
1. Incredibly easy to drive in the city.
2. Fun and peppy 1.2L four pot.
3. Adequately sized interior
4. Much cheaper than punch
5. Nexa promises delivery in 14 days, in reality it might be 4 weeks

The punch is a very well built car, but that’s it. It’s not fun to drive, because of the rudimentary engine and also not easy to manoeuvre in the city. Also coupled by the fact of bad word of mouth stories of Tata after-sales support. Also coupled by the fact that the waiting period is 3-4 months in BLR.

I’m waiting for the dual jet version of Ignis(rumoured). And will book once it’s released.

Trust me for city usage, Ignis is currently the most practical hatch.
firingpistonz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 21:29   #95
BHPian

Thank you everyone you responded to my query. I got busy with work and couldn't respond sooner. In the meantime, we test drove both Ignis and Punch over the last few days. As expected Nexa (Andheri East) was very prompt and were willing to send a car the same day I called. It took me 4 -5 days to get a MT Punch for a test drive after calling 5 dealers in the city. Finally, Tata dealer from Andheri West sent a manual car today.

We have more or less finalized the Ignis ... so my wife wins! This is not such a bad thing, as so many BHPians have pointed out We found the Ignis more nimble and responsive compared to the Punch. I still feel Punch is the better car, to which my wife agreed. The cabin comfort is simply superb in Punch. My 7 year old daughter fell asleep on the rear seat during the Punch test drive! In contrast, the rear seat in the Ignis was very narrow with very little under thigh support. However, given the current need for a VFM second car, the Ignis fits the bill nicely. I will update as we go ahead with the rest of the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I would say the Ignis is a better city car, your wife is spot on with her logic.
Congrats on your Ignis
Thank you! Your prediction is nearly true now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
If you're buying Ignis, test drive to make sure whether the steering wheel returns to the center on its own after taking a turn. If its not, then, the driver will be responsible for manually turning the steering wheel straight to its original position. I do not know whether this issue has been taken care of.
Thank you for this input. I did test this during the test drive. The wheel self-centred after taking a turn so it seems Maruti has fixed this in the facelifted version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI07 View Post
I'd say get the base variant! (Under 6lacs on-road Delhi)
Why?
Maruti added fog lamps, body colored handles&mirrors as well as a touch screen unit, it is way too VFM and with my experience with Maruti Cars and also in the family, they never break if you get them serviced!
And that 1.2L is smooth for baleno but punchy for Ignis.
Absolutely, they have included rear power windows too in the facelifted base version. With few add-on accessories, it is turning out to be VFM. OTR in Mumbai will be slightly more than 6.5 L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I would suggest Ignis over Punch. Reasons:

4. I firmly believe that the ladies should be given a car that runs trouble free. Maruti is definitely more reliable than the otherwise reliable Tata cars in general. I hope my comment is not misjudged as being based on gender bias.
Thank you, I got very valuable marital advice over the last couple of weeks here at TBHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl View Post
I would suggest you to buy the Ignis for the following reasons:
1. It’s the choice of the person who’s going to drive it mostly.
2. Easy to manoeuvre in the city as compared to the punch
3. Fuss and niggles free ownership as compared to the TATA ASS
4. The 3 cylinder engine will develop vibrations eventually
5. Better mileage as compared to the Punch
Thank you! You observations were spot-on. I felt the same during the test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
I have just sold my old Office Alto 800 lxi 2009 model to Maruti Nexa dealer and got home an Ignis Delta, last Friday.
Very satisfied with the car especially with the extremely small footprint. Its spacious enough and ac is chilling.
We have been considering the base variant, but may upgrade to the Delta. My wife liked the roof rails and the rear spoiler. I think they are not there on the Sigma variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesh.92 View Post
I'd say you get the Ignis eyes closed. I've had the Zeta petrol manual for over 4 years now and the ownership experience has been Hassle free!!

That's how I ended up with the Ignis and it has turned out be a good decision. The refinement level of the 1.2 4 cyl engine is just amazing ��. However if you are still inclined towards the Punch I would recommend you test drive the Punch and Ignis back to back if possible and then decide.
Your recommendation based on a hassle-free ownership means a lot, thank you!
However, I felt that Punch is a very good car. I found it to be a total package (except maybe the engine). If it were up to me, I would go for the Punch but the Ignis is meeting our current requirements. My wife also felt that if were looking for a family car, we would go for the Punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Buddha View Post
In my opinion her decision is a pretty good one and since her vehicle will be used primarily in the city, the safety kit that comes with Ignis is pretty decent. You are anyways buying a car which will be more safer than Maruti 800 in every way possible.
My wife has been smiling ear-to-ear after getting so many endorsements for her choice! We have more or less decided in favour of Ignis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriver View Post
Go for the Ignis without any hesitation ...Tata ASCs are hit or miss. Internet is full of examples of harassment of Tata customers post purchase which may happen to any new customer. Crash tests are conducted at 64 kmph, so the so called build quality may not be that practical in the event of higher speed collision, though welcomed.
I agree with you. Nexa has been extremely professional. They are not breathing down my neck for a sale, but have been very patient and helpful.
It took me 5 days and calls to 4-5 dealerships to get a Punch MT for a test drive. Strangely, they said only AMTs were available for TDs since most sales in Mumbai are for AMTs.
However, I would differ with you on the crash test scores. These are based on standard GNCAP tests, so the parameters are the same for all cars. I think Tata deserves all the praise for the 5 star rating for Punch. Indeed, when compared with Ignis, Punch comes across as the better built and more premium offering. The engine is an entirely different story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firingpistonz View Post
I’m in the same boat as you. We are on the lookout for a second city car. And our options were Kwid, espresso, and C3. Ruled out all three as c3 is quite big for a city car. Espresso because of its love it or hate it looks. And Kwid because of its very high, price to finish and what is offered ratio(climber is 7 lakhs on road in BLR after discounts). Ignis and punch were late entrants. We loved both the cars and were in a dilemma. But we have finally decided to go with Ignis.
1. Incredibly easy to drive in the city.
2. Fun and peppy 1.2L four pot.
3. Adequately sized interior
4. Much cheaper than punch
5. Nexa promises delivery in 14 days, in reality it might be 4 weeks

The punch is a very well built car, but that’s it. It’s not fun to drive, because of the rudimentary engine and also not easy to manoeuvre in the city. Also coupled by the fact of bad word of mouth stories of Tata after-sales support. Also coupled by the fact that the waiting period is 3-4 months in BLR.

I’m waiting for the dual jet version of Ignis(rumoured). And will book once it’s released.

Trust me for city usage, Ignis is currently the most practical hatch.
Thank you so much! You have exactly mirrored my thoughts and analysis! We made the same observations and have almost finalized Ignis.

I am currently trying to negotiate with Nexa, hoping for better discounts and a delivery during the festive season. SA is currently offering 20-30K on Ignis Sigma. Any thoughts on how much discounts one can expect during this time would be welcome.
Ajay_Sensei is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 16:38   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_Sensei View Post
I agree with you. Nexa has been extremely professional. They are not breathing down my neck for a sale, but have been very patient and helpful.
It took me 5 days and calls to 4-5 dealerships to get a Punch MT for a test drive. Strangely, they said only AMTs were available for TDs since most sales in Mumbai are for AMTs.
However, I would differ with you on the crash test scores. These are based on standard GNCAP tests, so the parameters are the same for all cars. I think Tata deserves all the praise for the 5 star rating for Punch. Indeed, when compared with Ignis, Punch comes across as the better built and more premium offering. The engine is an entirely different story!
What I meant is that as crash tests are conducted at 64 kmph a 5 star rated car may not be able to keep the passengers safe in the event of an accident occuring at more than 64 kmph. Also Tata should concentrate on improving refinement of its engines. How long will they keep on playing the safety record again and again along with substandard engine? Engine refinement is also important like safety standards.

Last edited by Fastdriver : 22nd September 2022 at 16:41.
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 20:43   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI07 View Post
....Folding IRVM...
OT: Sorry for nit-picking, but, as the pedant I am, here goes.
You would've meant ORVM, O standing for Outer and I standing for Inner.
We get folding ORVMs and not IRVM.
Once again, apologies for going off-topic.
Old 19th October 2022, 13:53   #98
BHPian

Dear BHPians

A quick update on the Punch vs Ignis conundrum. We booked the Ignis on 22nd September, almost immediately after the wonderful feedback and valuable advice from the members here on TBHP!

Since, we were going to be out of town for a family event, asked for delivery after 10th October. I completed all paperwork last week. We are expecting delivery in the next 4 - 5days.

Initially, we wanted to go for the base variant but decided to upgrade to the Delta variant.

I will update once the car we get the delivery of the vehicle.
Old 21st February 2023, 18:55   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_Sensei View Post
I will update once the car we get the delivery of the vehicle.
What's the update? Did you get your Ignis? It's been several months now.
Old 25th April 2023, 02:40   #100
BHPian

With all the recent price hikes and the costs, do you think ignis alpha amt at 9.8 lacs otr is a VFM car? i liked everything about the car but the suspension is a downer. it feels like a toy car because of that. i am torn on what to chose now!
Old 30th April 2023, 19:46   #101

Looking for car under 10 Lakh onroad

I currently drive an Ecosport petrol bought in July 2019. I want to replace it for 2 reasons.

1. I am apprehensive of the service availability and spare parts availability/costs in the long run as Ford has stopped manufacturing in India
2. High maintenance costs and low fuel efficiency. I get 8.5 in city driving with less traffic. It goes down to 7 if I drive in high traffic.

Since I am planning to retire, I want to go for a medium size hatch that will be lighter on the pocket. My budget is 10L onroad and I live in Bangalore

My usage ~ 6000 kms a year with one or two highway trips totaling to max of 1500 kms

Please advise me which car should I be looking for

Thanks
Venkat
Old 1st May 2023, 06:31   #102
BHPian

Re: Looking for car under 10 Lakh onroad

Considering the fact that you have quite a low running and live in a crowded city like Bangalore, a small hatch/sub 4 metre SUV would be the best buy, an automatic would be an added bonus too. Keeping these in mind, My recommendations (with prices OTR Bangalore) are:

Tata Punch
The Tata Puch AMT starts at around 9.13 lakhs for the Adventure AMT and around 10.09 lakhs for the Accomplished AMT. It is one of the best cars you can get for under 10 lakhs with SUV styling, an AMT gearbox, and a 5-star safety rating. The mileage is good too. If a manual is what you are after then the Accomplished MT variant would be a good buy at 9.37 lakhs

Hyundai i20
The best variant under your budget would be the i20 Sports 1.2 MT at around 9.84 lakhs, it is decently specced with loads of space in the interior and a calm and quiet 1.2-litre N.A. 4-Cylinder petrol engine.

Tata Altroz
The Tata Altroz is another 5-star GNCAP-rated car from Tata with adequate space and features. The XMA Plus Petrol DCA at 10.39 lakhs, although a bit over budget would be a great buy considering it's not an AMT. If you are going for manual, then the XT Petrolat 9.67 lakhs and the XZ Petrol at 10.27 lakhs are the best options worth considering.

Maruti Baleno/ Toyota Glanza
The Baleno Delta AGS at 9.63 lakhs or the Glanza S AMT at 9.84 lakhs are good options if you are looking for an automatic, otherwise, the Baleno Zeta MT at 10.11 lakhs would be your best bet.

Maruti Swift
The Swift is a good option too considering the fully-loaded ZXI Plus MT sells for 10.06 lakhs and the ZXI AMT at 9.88 lakhs.

Do a test drive of each of these and pick the best one with the perfect match of features and price according to your needs.

Hope it helps!
bijims is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 06:40   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Your top pick should be the Tata Punch, with its easy ingress and egress. It is a very sorted car mechanically and comes with a 5 star crash test rating. The engine is not the greatest, but it is more than enough for occasional and light use.

I will suggest this over the Marutis and Hyundais which are far lighter cars with significantly worse build as well as ride and handling. And over the Altroz, simply because it is easier to get in to and out of.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 07:09   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.krishnan View Post

Since I am planning to retire, I want to go for a medium size hatch that will be lighter on the pocket. My budget is 10L onroad and I live in Bangalore

My usage ~ 6000 kms a year with one or two highway trips totaling to max of 1500 kms
Your usage is low, and the current car is fairly new. Added to this you want to save your cash as you're retiring. Even if the running costs are a bit high and mileage is low in your current car, the initial upfront cost of 10 lakhs minus resale value of Ecosport, for a new car to pay you back will take a long time. For these reasons, I recommend that you keep your current Ecosport for atleast another 6 years. Do find a good FNG or Ford service station and I guess you should be fine. Ecosport's resale value will have already factored the fact that Ford has left India, so further erosion will not be that high IMO.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 21:22   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Your top pick should be the Tata Punch, with its easy ingress and egress. It is a very sorted car mechanically and comes with a 5 star crash test rating. The engine is not the greatest, but it is more than enough for occasional and light use.

I will suggest this over the Marutis and Hyundais which are far lighter cars with significantly worse build as well as ride and handling. And over the Altroz, simply because it is easier to get in to and out of.
Sir, I have heard Maruti's do not place importance to safety. I want to understand how unsafe they are. I think the Swift has 1 star in GNCAP. Is it that in case of a head on collision in a 5 star car, the driver will be safe and in a 1 star car he will sustain serious injuries

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks