Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 17:22   #1
BHPian

Buy the Jeep Compass or wait for next-generation Hyundai Tucson?

Hi all,

I am searching out for my car and would love to have an SUV in my garage. The family owns three cars right now - A 2009 Corolla Altis, 2011 Chevrolet Beat and an Elite i20.

Background
I am planning to sell off the Beat as it is hardly being used, since my dad stopped driving and I am now the only driver in the house. I am looking forward to buying a new SUV, under 30 lacs, that offers:
1. A Premium cabin
2. Powerful Engine: Petrol or Diesel, preferably Manual but this is not a deciding factor so Automatics can also be considered
3. Has proper SUV dynamics & structure (suspension, ruggedness, etc.). 4X2 setup would work though
4. Good Road presence. Not necessarily 'Stance', but should be good to look at

Options
1. Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos: Ruled these out, purely because of personal outlook that these look like beefed up/lifted hatchbacks. No offense to Creta or Seltos owners
2.Tata Safari and Harrier: Although both these products are super capable, stunning to look at and are considerably improved product offering by Tata, in comparison to its earlier products, I am still skeptical on Tata's after sales service and dealer experiences. We had a Safari Dicor in the hours few years back and the ownership experience was horrible, because of Tata's poor after sales service
3. Toyota Fortuner: Pricey, Feels over-priced for what it offers, ingress/outgress challenges for parents. Stiff ride quality
4. Ford Endeavour: Pricey, 2.0 litre Diesel feels underpowered for such heavy vehicle, ingress/outgress challenges for parents

Narrowing all this, leaves me with two options to consider: The face-lifted Jeep Compass 2021 and the current generation Hyundai Tuscon

Jeep Compass 2021
- Pros: Premium all black interiors in top variants, Fiat's 2.0 Diesel motor, Good looks, proper SUV genes, really good features/tech list, compact size allows ease of driving in city
- Cons: Limited cabin and boot space makes this a strict 4-seater, Jeep's really slim after sales network in India (we travel a lot so this is a cause of concern), fully loaded top variants are priced on a higher side, no cruise control in MT variants, pathetic fuel efficiency and performance of petrol variants

Hyundai Tuscon
- Pros: Its a Hyundai so good after sales and spare parts availability, feels like a big SUV, punchy Diesel motor, smooth AT
- Cons: Interior feels two generations older, the current model feels outdated, no MT option. Lastly, I am still not convinced to spend anything above a 18-10 lacs on a Hyundai

My family is all in to buy the S model-MT-Diesel Jeep Compass; however, I have below points in my mind before I make any decision:

1. Jeep's India Roadmap and After Sales Service (including spare parts availability). I drive a lot and my family loves long road trips to the hills and destinations that are far. Thus, limited service network is an area of concern
2. Have heard a lot of issues with Compass on this forum - Battery draining, intermittent rattling, etc. Any comments from existing Compass owners here ?
3. Is the new model of Hyundai Tuscon expected in India anytime soon ? Does it make sense to wait for it ? The international model looks promising; and Hyundai's after sales is something I can vouch for. Although my wife does not like Hyundai's new design language, she feels the edgy designs do not look classy, unless it's a Skoda

Looking forward to your suggestions
RBleo21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Buy the Jeep Compass or wait for next-generation Hyundai Tucson?

If you have decided to buy a new car for whatever reason, buy what is available today and one that suits you the best. There is no news on when the all new Tuscon will be launched and you never know what to expect. Given you travel to mountains, pick up a 4x4 as that will enable you to explore more and gives you confidence. I would say pick up Compass 4x4 or go with Endeavour/Fortuner 4x4 after test driving same, if budget permits.

Last edited by PrideRed : 10th August 2021 at 18:54.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:16   #3
BHPian

I would buy the current gen Tucson, which is a facelift version and has most of the fundamentally required features and accessories. The Tucson has excellent 5 seater, has good recline even on the rear, best comfort amongst SUVs in the rear seat. The comfort of seating and the fit and finish makes me consider that as premium cabin. Good powerful diesel engine with good mileage. I too used to prefer manual transmission but coming to SUV of this size, the 8 speed automatic (torque convertor) is nice to operate and seems to tried and tested and more or less trouble free based on feedback from tbhp owners and web. The Tucson has capable ground clearance. It is 4x2 and handles like a good soft roader, meaning one shall not push the machine hard off the road, but nevertheless, IMHO, good enough for most of our Indian rough terrain usage that we might cross on our holidays.
Definitely the Tucson is premium compared to the likes of Creta and Seltos high end variants. The Tucson build quality in my perception is international standard and Creta and Seltos are certainly compromise models, IMHO.

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 10th August 2021 at 19:19.
cs_rajesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:35   #4
BHPian

Considering your requirements, one more car I would strongly suggest is the upcoming Mahindra XUV700. It is no less of an SUV than the Compass or the Tucson. It's going to get quite powerful engines and from what spy shots tell us, the interior will also have a premium feel.
Although the looks can be a hit or a miss and one can never be so sure about a newly launched Mahindra's reliability.

Since you mentioned Skoda, do wait for the Kodiaq or the VW Tiguan. Both these cars might suit your requirements too. Although reliability is going to be a sore point in the long run.

Another contender can be the Citroen C5 Aircross. It has a good diesel engine and bodes well with your requirements but the dealer network is even thinner than Jeep. IIRC they have only 15 dealers in the entire nation. Although, I would say it's worth a look.

Regarding the Hyundai Tucson, there has been no official communication about its launch anytime soon. IMO one can safely assume that it is at least 8-10 months away.

If you can wait, I would say you should. Make do with your current cars and take a call a year down the line. By then, we should have the new Hyundai Tucson ideally which is what you seem to like. Also, XUV700 would have sorted its niggles and Citroen might have expanded its dealer network so as to bring in their sub 4m car.

If you cannot wait, go ahead with either the Jeep Compass or the current Hyundai Tucson. My pick would be the Tucson. It's a no-nonsense car and suits your requirements too. Added advantages are the sales network and your spouse's agreement on the car's design.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 21:01   #5
BHPian

I am currently going through the same dilemma. Have been a long time fan of Jeep and was almost convinced until 2 months back that this is going to be the next one. And then I saw the 2021 Tuscon available internationally, and hopefully coming soon to India. The refreshing looks and the whole gamut of bells and whistles that most of the Korean cars bring with them have made me think twice about my decision.
So for now decided to wait for some more time (as I am in no hurry to upgrade) and take this plunge when we have both these machines available to compare and pick.
Old 11th August 2021, 10:31   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buy the Jeep Compass or wait for next-generation Hyundai Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBleo21 View Post
1. A Premium cabin
2. Powerful Engine: Petrol or Diesel, preferably Manual but this is not a deciding factor so Automatics can also be considered
3. Has proper SUV dynamics & structure (suspension, ruggedness, etc.). 4X2 setup would work though
4. Good Road presence. Not necessarily 'Stance', but should be good to look at
If you want driving pleasure, go for the Compass. If you are fine with an MT, go for the Compass. On the open road, it will offer you the most driving pleasure. The stability is like a tank's, the suspension is solid & mature, high speed behaviour is fantastic and that 2.0 diesel pulls like a train. I doubt the next-gen Tucson will be able to match the Compass in driving pleasure.

The Compass ATs suck though. But if you must have an AT, wait for the XUV700 & next-gen Tucson. Both of them will entail a 1+ year wait. XUV700 = 1 year wait for Mahindra to sort out niggles, while for the Tucson, it'll be for Hyundai to get the car here.

Out of the box suggestion = wait for the Kodiaq 2.0 TSI. The crossover is brilliant in diesel guise (just ask any owner) & the fast 2.0 TSI + DSG will make it a potent package. You seem to be okay with the budget & petrol, hence suggesting. Trust me, this is an SUV that punches well above its weight.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 11:43   #7
BHPian

This thread pretty much summarizes the dilemma I am also currently going through. Had settled on Compass diesel MT top variant, but the reports of niggles and issues with the new Compass is a bit unsettling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Out of the box suggestion = wait for the Kodiaq 2.0 TSI. The crossover is brilliant in diesel guise (just ask any owner) & the fast 2.0 TSI + DSG will make it a potent package. You seem to be okay with the budget & petrol, hence suggesting. Trust me, this is an SUV that punches well above its weight.
Do you think the new Kodiaq will be below 30 lakhs when launched? I mention this because that is the budget which OP mentioned. Besides this, fuel efficiency of the TSI engines is another concern that is making me not put too much hope on the new Kodiaq.
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 14:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But if you must have an AT, wait for the XUV700 & next-gen Tucson. Both of them will entail a 1+ year wait. XUV700 = 1 year wait for Mahindra to sort out niggles, while for the Tucson, it'll be for Hyundai to get the car here.
I am in the market anytime between 2022 / early 2023 for a second car. The more I read on possible options, in recent times I too have gravitated to XUV 7OO / next gen Tucson at the head of a loose shortlist. My preference would be diesel (or petrol hybrid on the remote chance the Hyundai brings that) although I'm not shut to the idea of petrol either.

Any initial (admittedly speculative) thoughts on the pros and cons between the above two, perhaps post 18th when you are Mahindra embargo free would be appreciated.

The XUV 7OO suspense would end soon with a raft of reviews on 18th. And the Tucson is no surprise since its already launched internationally so broadly one is aware of what the new one is all about (choice of India engine options / variants aside).

My gut feel initial sense is:

- Mahindra will go toe to toe with the Korean on features - but I would be more wary of electronics overkill in a Mahindra than a Hyundai.

- Both seem to be sporting top notch interiors although exterior design in each is likely to be overkill / overstyled to my personal tastes.

- The Hyundai will probably feel more sophisticated to drive while the Mahindra will likely be a little better rough road ready and abuse friendly.

- Ride quality: typically not a strength for either of these. I am expecting both to be mediocre on this front.

- Usage: I would be treating these as two row cars. If one of them is a 3 row vehicle, the third row would be permanently folded down.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 14:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I am in the market anytime between 2022 / early 2023 for a second car. The more I read on possible options, in recent times I too have gravitated to XUV 7OO / next gen Tucson at the head of a loose shortlist. My preference would be diesel (or petrol hybrid on the remote chance the Hyundai brings that) although I'm not shut to the idea of petrol either.
In todays age where shelf life of a model is 5 years, waiting/planning for a yet to be launched car is like hoping for COVID to end and plan a road trip. You never know what the new Tuscon will be like. Hyundai might even price it on par with Kodiaq and offer 7 seats. Alcazar now has 2.0L engine, gets 7 seats and is priced at about 28L OTR. This means Hyundai has uphill task and needs to work really hard to differentiate Tuscon and showcase VFM to a prospective customer. When on car hunt lookout for car that is already in Market or one that is planned to be launched soon( a month or two).
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 15:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

The refreshed Tucson is still a couple of years away.
The existing Tucson was anyways 'refreshed' just last year.

I would suggest you to steam ahead, and go for the Jeep.
The Jeep matches most of your requirements, like powerful engines, great cabin, etc.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 14:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
If you want driving pleasure, go for the Compass. If you are fine with an MT, go for the Compass. On the open road, it will offer you the most driving pleasure. The stability is like a tank's, the suspension is solid & mature, high speed behaviour is fantastic and that 2.0 diesel pulls like a train. I doubt the next-gen Tucson will be able to match the Compass in driving pleasure.
Thanks GTO, super helpful. This clears my doubt and I am planning to book a Galaxy Blue-Model S-Diesel-MT, this Saturday (wife wants to book it on my Birthday)

Just waiting for a good deal from Landmark Gurgaon. Apparently, they are charging an enormous Insurance and also some INR 24K in the name of "Handling & Delivery" charges.
RBleo21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:31   #12

I bought the Tucson 2022 2.5 GDI for my wife two months back and I must say I have been thoroughly impressed. Its completely loaded with tech and the engine is a gem. I have never felt it underpowered. The 8 speed transmission is buttry smooth too.

Buy the Jeep Compass or wait for next-generation Hyundai Tucson?-smartselect_20210709232830_instagram.jpg

Buy the Jeep Compass or wait for next-generation Hyundai Tucson?-smartselect_20210706204625_instagram.jpg

Buy the Jeep Compass or wait for next-generation Hyundai Tucson?-20210801_173948.jpg
svdxb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 11:06   #13
BHPian

I was in a similar quandry at the start of this year and ended up with Tucson GLS AWD.

I needed an auto and needed it to be powerful. Everything from Tucson, Harrier (not Safari, didn't need 7 seats), X1, Superb, Octavia, XUV500/700, Compass, XC40 was on list. Tata refused to send even a car for test drive. Skoda, well, is Skoda; I wanted peace of mind. Same thing related to cost in terms of money and time required for maintenance ruled out X1 and XC40 and finally XUV500/700 was some time away. That left Tucson and Compass and one test drive sealed the deal. The compass just felt lethargic and no amount of dazzle in interiors could paper over that. Tucson on the other hand with that 8 speed auto was just a level above in sophistication. Next gen Tucson is unlikely this year or even in H1 next year. Tucson is expensive, especially the AWD variant but at this point everything is overpriced.

Just finished a 2200km road trip from BLR to Delhi and Tucson aced everything the roads had to offer. Arrow straight highways, Cows in middle of the road, unexpected alloy wheel shattering potholes.

If you can look beyond the interiors design then I will highly recommend the Tucson. Interiors aren't bad. They are designed for function and have great space and comfort. Its just that design is old school. I somewhat like parts that are old school - analog dials for example.

You can't go wrong with 185bhp, 400Nm, 1700kgs and 8-speed AT
needmorebhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 15:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
I was in a similar quandry at the start of this year and ended up with Tucson GLS AWD.

I needed an auto and needed it to be powerful. Everything from Tucson,
You can't go wrong with 185bhp, 400Nm, 1700kgs and 8-speed AT
The 2022 AWD on road prices could cross upwards of 38 L as starting prices could be INR 25 L as per certain websites. Those could be for Petrol and when you get to AWD Diesel it could be a 8-10 L increase based on current version pricing. Unless you get a better engine and GB combo it is better to buy the current version. May be one can expect some deals now as I dont see too many of Tucson's on road. I feel that market is still not willing to raise the price acceptability bar for Hyundai cars more than 18-20 L. Also, the 25-40 L price point is a market which will take time to develop as when the Pyramid of our population gets better. Hopefully in the next 10 years.
Old 17th August 2021, 20:11   #15
BHPian

My wife and me have been in same quandary for a while now. The options we shortlisted were:

Harrier AT- I already have a Hexa and the family isn't too keen on having another Tata. I have had a decent experience with TASS over the last few years but there is sense of discomfort for the family when it comes to getting another Tata vehicle. I am trying to work around it since the Harrier is a total VFM product. Killer looks, good build and a decent powertrain. We don't care much for features anyways.
Tucson Diesel AT - The powertrain is the bomb on this one. Blows everything else out of the water. The interiors are decent and we like to looks. The only hitch is the price. I am trying to get a decent deal on it which currently stands at a discount of 1L.
Compass Diesel AT - All show and no go. It has probably the worse powertrain of all the cars we test drove. Just rubbish. Noisy and laggy!! 35L for that? No, thanks! I don't care how good the interior is when it runs as poorly as it does. My wife is still in awe over the interiors though.

We test drove the Tiguan AllSpace earlier this year and it didn't feel like a ~200HP engine. Wife ruled it out. We went back last week and test drove the T-Roc. As good as the powertrain is, 27L for that size is a criminal waste of money.

The XUV700 is a minimum 1 year leadtime at the moment and I can't see myself buying a Mahindra. The 2022 Tucsons and Tiguans of the world are going to cost a bomb in India if and when they do show up. Nothing short of 37-40L OTR. All said and done, the value the current Tucson and Harrier bring to the table is unmatched.

Last edited by yd_gli : 17th August 2021 at 20:12.

Most Viewed