MG Hector Plus 21 5.97%
Mahindra XUV500 14 3.98%
Toyota Innova Crysta 167 47.44%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 2.27%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 12:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar vs Tata Safari vs MG Hector Plus vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others

I voted 'others' because SUV is not the important factor for me, when compared to a third row of seat which mostly be where kids have to be seated.

In this case, Maruti Ertiga is the only value for money and practical car.
Old 8th July 2021, 12:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar vs Tata Safari vs MG Hector Plus vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others

I will be in the market later this year to upgrade my 2006 Innova. It has been a fantastic ownership experience, and the car is still in top shape after 203k+ Km.

Having said that, i'd vote for Others in this case. My preference will be for a used Endeavour or Fortuner because I need an 8-seater AT, and the Crysta GX is the only eligible Innova variant. However, it is not well equipped.

All the other cars in the poll won't even be considered due to the seriously compromised space (Alcazar, Hector Plus), reliability concerns (Safari), or age (XUV500).
mpthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 12:30   #33
BHPian

I am looking for a 6/7 seater as my next. Voted for the Safari. I have checked it out in person on a short visit to the showroom (didn't drive it though). It's a decent package with passable interiors, excellent exterior looks and the Safari brand is icing on the cake!

The Innova is no doubt brilliant, but I don't like how it looks and it is not cheap. I have sat on the third row of an Innova (not the Crysta) for a couple of Mumbai - Pune runs and I felt really nauseous. So not very happy with the ride quality there.

Looking at the results so far it seems Safari is a strong contender in the segment. IMHO one of the major issues with Safari is the constant fear of niggles, or worse still getting an outright lemon. If Tata can roll out some updates, especially to the infotainment and ensure overall reliability, it will be a strong number 2 in the segment.

That said, the way things currently stand, the playing field is open for Mahindra to disrupt with XUV 7OO. The million dollar question is whether they will get it right the first time around. I wouldn't bet my money on it.

To conclude, it's wait and watch for now. Hopefully, one of Tata or Mahindra will step up their game. But I won't be holding my breath.
Old 8th July 2021, 12:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Safari from this lot.

Why? First, I must admit I have not test driven the Safari or the Alcazar - have test driven the Hector and the Innova Crysta.

The Hector was criminally under powered - I don’t know where the 140 bhp and 250 NM disappeared. The Hector Plus is even larger - and would probably be worse to drive.

The Crysta is better than the old Innova but like all BOF vehicles, is horrid to drive. It is fine if you drive it gently but push it even a bit and everyone in the back is ready to puke. A fantastic car for the purpose it serves, but not one for me.

The Alcazar is marginally larger than the Creta, gives away the middle seat in the second row, and seems to have a third row which is worse than that in my Tiguan Allspace. Also the 2 litre NA petrol is arguably inferior to the 1.4 Turbo in the Creta. I would pick the Creta or Seltos any day over the Alcazar. A bench seat in the top end Petrol automatic may have changed that equation

The Safari is genuinely drool worthy. Once again, they have goofed up with the absence of a bench seat in the top end automatic - but a somewhat usable third row compensates for that. And while it is a diesel (which is a negative), I still think it is a best of an imperfect bunch.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

The Safari is genuinely drool worthy. Once again, they have goofed up with the absence of a bench seat in the top end automatic - but a somewhat usable third row compensates for that. And while it is a diesel (which is a negative), I still think it is a best of an imperfect bunch.
As far as I recall, Tata does offer a combination of AT+ 7 seater (bench seat) in the Adventure Persona edition or the standard XZA/XZA+ of the Safari.
@og_adi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 14:01   #36
BHPian

Go over show any day. So the Crysta it is for me, if I ever go for 5+ seats in that price bracket.

Would have loved to vote for the Safari, but I still don't have enough confidence on its reliability. Going by the recent Harrier and Safari ownership reports, I am afraid the quality issues with them are far from being resolved.
Old 8th July 2021, 14:28   #37
BHPian

Voted for the Innova Crysta. I plan to buy a new SUV/UV in the next few months. Given the current scenario, the Innova Crysta makes the perfect choice. It's a sorted product and is super reliable.

The other options are either not reliable for compromised in terms of space and specs.
Old 8th July 2021, 15:37   #38
BHPian

I see somewhat of a disconnect between the poll results and the actual situation on the ground. In my opinion, individual UV buyers seem to prefer the Hector/Creta/Alcazar, and few that don't mind the cabbie image drive the Innova.

In my group (average 35 years old), the self-driven people have at least one luxury car, daily-drive around in Cretas and Hectors but would NEVER be seen driving their diesel Innova though almost every family owns one (for airport trips, basic transport, staff use, farm runs, etc.). We barely see any Safaris or Harriers on the roads anywhere. But this poll says otherwise. Food for thought?
Old 8th July 2021, 16:20   #39
BHPian

Voted for the Innova Crysta although I liked the Safari but don't want to deal with the Tata service centers and don't have much confidence to deal with the TASS and didn't like the Alcazar's seating though I liked its looks.

The reason for voting Innova Crysta is:

1. Reliability (we own a 2011 Innova at home and still running strong despite being a 10-year-old car)
2. Seat comfort and space in 2nd row and 3rd row
3. Service costs are cheap
4. Toyota A.S.S is much better (have good experiences whenever I give our Innova for service)
5. Abuse friendly and can-go anywhere vehicle
6. Has good resale value (herein Hyd, a 3-4-year-old Crysta, run more than 50k, goes for around 20L)

Since we are looking to replace our Innova, the Crysta is the main contender for us along with 5 seater crossovers like Creta/Seltos!
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 16:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
In my group (average 35 years old), the self-driven people have at least one luxury car, daily-drive around in Cretas and Hectors but would NEVER be seen driving their diesel Innova though almost every family owns one (for airport trips, basic transport, staff use, farm runs, etc.). We barely see any Safaris or Harriers on the roads anywhere. But this poll says otherwise. Food for thought?
The reality is Innova is cumbersome to drive around in City, mainly because of its size, especially in Metro. Come highway and tier2/3 cities, you will see many self driven Innova. There are plenty of folks who prefer Innova for outstation rides over anything else in their garage. Its robust, reliable, comfortable and has good space inside. Its one of the most versatile vehicle in India, cabbies, politicians, film stars, celebrities dont mind hopping around in Innova. If you are used to driving Body on Frame, you will appreciate Innova's drive. Like for example, some of my family members are so used to body on frame , they will puke if they sit in low slung sedan or even a cross over.

At current price, cabbies have stopped buying Crysta's and is the primary reason why you see Ertiga selling in large numbers and sales of Innova have dropped.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 17:18   #41
BHPian

I cant ever imagine Innova as a primary selfdriven car, and I dont think I will ever need a second chaueffered car.

My heart has been set on buying a Tata Safari in 2023 when my Verna turns 10 for a long time now, but the new XUV7OO could be a decent competitor.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 20:08   #42
BHPian

Voted for Innova Crysta.

Yes, it's not quite affordable as it used to be at least a few years ago but the peace of mind, reliability and the comfort makes up for it. What's better with the current gen Innova is that the service intervals have been increased to 10k kms/1 year, compared to the earlier 5k kms/6 months and better features right from the base variant. The 5k/6 month interval is one of the factors for innova's bullet proof reliability and lower service costs.

My second option would be an XUV500 or the Erstwhile Tata Hexa both of which are equally competent but have some rough edges and the XUV hasn't changed a bit on the inside apart from sunroof, slightly redesigned center console and blue lighting. It has gone through heavy feature reductions since the first launch at 2011. Plus mahindra was adamant in not provided a sliding 2nd row even after a decade!

I'd give the Tata a miss due to the attitude at the service center and not being mod friendly plus teething niggles.

The rest of them will age sooner and have more of gadgetry than the key mechanical components. Plus there's a compromise with the main criteria, seating 6-7 comfortably
Good mechanical parts or components from the OEM will ensure a lower maintenance cost over the long run.

Last edited by jithin23 : 8th July 2021 at 20:11. Reason: Added content
Old 8th July 2021, 21:13   #43
BHPian

As a newbie not eligible to cast my vote yet.

But this thread is so very relevant in the present delimma being faced by us regarding our next 7 seater I had to submit my post to maybe get a few advices which can help me in taking the decision.

Problem Statement - Existing Garage has 2015 Honda City VX MT 1.5D and 2014 Scorpio VLX. We are looking to replace the Scorpio for a comfortable 7 seater within 28L OTR. The last row will be used by kids and teenagers mostly and middle row comfort is paramount. There will be minimal off roading. A few broken roads and mostly highway driving and mostly with a Chauffer on the wheels for my father.

Options Evaluated :

1. Innova Crysta - Has to be on the list. Price premium has gradually inched higher which makes me feel if the premium is justified. Another issue which sometime comes to the mind is that too many innovas are being driven as cabs and hence the image is somewhat diluted if it's your primary vehicle in your garage.

2. Tata Safari - The niggles make me uncomfortable and I fear the unpredictable lemon which is sometimes shipped by Tata Motors. Otherwise the car almost ticks all the boxes and the AT was also nice to drive on the ocassional long drive out of town. Are the niggles really a deal breaker for the safari. I had actually booked Safari XT before wave 2 but decided to wait reading about the niggles on Team BHP. So booking cancelled and refund taken.

3. Hyundai Alcazar - is the middle row comfortable and is the ride quality comparable to safari/Innova.

4. XUV 700 - Again the niggling issues in a new Mahindra / Tata and waiting for the launch details.

We can wait till December probably. By that time the vaccination percentage would be relatively higher to allow free movement of people. The parameters important for us are:

A. Middle row comfort and ride quality in general considering the fact that my father is a Senior Citizen now.
B. Weightage of heart is 60% and mind is 40% so can live with a few minor cons if the vehicle is great to drive and live with.

Confusion is persisting and will only go away once the cheque is handed over to the dealer . Till then will keep actively looking at inputs on Team BHP
Old 9th July 2021, 11:42   #44
BHPian

I'd have voted for Safari except for that all of the niggles that are getting constantly reported here has given me concerns. I am still really rooting for Tata to turn the corner on quality, but it seems like a long wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
I see somewhat of a disconnect between the poll results and the actual situation on the ground. In my opinion, individual UV buyers seem to prefer the Hector/Creta/Alcazar, and few that don't mind the cabbie image drive the Innova.

We barely see any Safaris or Harriers on the roads anywhere. But this poll says otherwise. Food for thought?
I'd second that, I get it that Innova is the epitome of reliability but considering price increases, they seem very overpriced for what they offer. And a big turn off is the cabbie/govt babu image, I don't want to be seen owning one.

XUV 500 feels too old and am eagerly waiting for newer versions. So it is between Alcazar and Hector Plus. I feel right now Hector Plus since it has comparable features to Alcazar, better 2nd and 3rd row seats, better performance and a much better warranty. And I like the uniqueness compared to the Creta/Alcazar that will be filling up the roadways soon.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
A big turn off is the cabbie/govt babu image, I don't want to be seen owning one.
Absolutely! Also, my friend owns a Hector facelift petrol automatic and I should say it's definitely a superior package compared to my Creta petrol auto for almost similar money - it's much bigger, feels more solid, has soft leather ventilated seats, and the rear recline angle is better.

The safari/harrier were letdowns at launch, in my opinion. The new XUV sounds promising at least on paper. I'm tired of watching spyshot news and teasers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks