VW Tiguan Allspace 64 16.98%
Body-on-frame SUVs like the Fortuner / Endeavour 110 29.18%
Other (please specify in your post) 13 3.45%
Voters: 377. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 06:35   #1
Team-BHP Support

Citroen C5 Aircross vs Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson vs others

Citroen C5 Aircross vs Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson vs others-citroen-c5-aircross-comparo.png

Citroen C5 Aircross

Citroen C5 Aircross Pros:

• A superbly engineered & properly premium crossover
• Very stylish exteriors & interiors! We love the design. It's matched to solid build quality
• Good quality cabin with comfortable seats, lots of storage & fantastic insulation
• 2.0L diesel engine is quick, efficient & extremely refined
• Smooth 8-speed AT gearbox impresses
• Excellent ride comfort and mature road manners. High speed behaviour is sorted too
• Large, well-shaped 580 liter boot gobbles up holiday / airport luggage
• Loaded to the gills with features such as a panoramic sunroof, handsfree tailgate opening, customisable instrument cluster, double laminated front windows, terrain modes...
• 4-star rating in the Euro NCAP crash test. 3-point seatbelts for all five occupants, 6 airbags, blind spot monitoring system, ESP, hill hold, hill descent control and more

Citroen C5 Aircross Cons:

• Rear legroom is strictly adequate. Two 5’10" adults can sit behind each other, but not two 6-footers
• No turbo-petrol engine (big miss), no AWD for tourers & no manual gearbox for MT fans
• Not really sporty to drive. Cars like the Compass are more fun
• Missing some features we expect today (connected car tech, wireless charging, ventilated seats, 360-degree camera, subwoofer…)
• The bolstering of the 3 individual rear seats is suitable for slim passengers, not heavier ones
• Audio sound quality is alright, but nothing special as you’d expect in a premium car
• Many competing crossovers & SUVs offer a 3rd-row of seats, which the C5 Aircross doesn't have
• The LHD orientation of many controls (gear shifter, e-brake, bonnet release, engine start button)
• Long-term reliability & after-sales service quality are big unknowns

Link to Review (Citroen C5 Aircross Review)

Jeep Compass

Jeep Compass Pros:

• Handsome Cherokee-inspired styling & loads of character
• Solid build. Feels very robust, just as a Jeep should
• Powerful 2.0L diesel. Good driveability in the city, fast on the open road
• 1.4L turbo-petrol makes 161 BHP! Offers fast performance.
• Mature suspension setup, nicely-tuned EPS & rock-solid stability
• Capable AWD available (unlike some competitors)
• City-friendly: Compact size, higher seating, smooth gearshift, soft clutch & low NVH
• Topnotch safety: Strong all-disc brakes, a plethora of electronic aids & 6 airbags
• We think the Compass is well-priced for what it offers. The driving experience & overall package feel premium

Jeep Compass Cons:

• Small size for the price! A sentiment echoed by most people who saw it in person
• Suitable for 4 adults, not 5. Boot is small too
• Inexplicably, only the AWD Diesel gets 6 airbags! All other variants have 2
• Tiny dealership network. Plus, after-sales quality & long-term reliability are unknown factors
• AWD's premium is over 2 lakh rupees on-the-road. Includes 4 extra airbags, but is still too much
• Turning radius of 5.65m is wide. Also, 17Ί approach angle is too low
• Missing goodies (blanks on the steering, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers & headlamps, lumbar adjustment, reclinable rear seats)

Link to Review

Link to Review - The Petrol AT

Link to Report - The Trailhawk

Hyundai Tucson

Citroen C5 Aircross vs Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson vs others-tucson.jpg

Hyundai Tucson Pros:

• Contemporary styling that is universally appealing
• Punchy 2.0L diesel engine mated to a smooth automatic transmission
• Comfortable ride quality & car-like dynamics
• Cool features such as the hands-free tailgate, LED headlamps, electric parking brake, ECO / Sport driving modes & more
• Top-notch safety kit: 6 airbags, ESC, VSM, all-wheel disc brakes, hill-start assist etc.
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales, 3 year unlimited km warranty & 3 years of free servicing!

Hyundai Tucson Cons:

• No w-o-w factor on the inside. Interior simply doesn't feel special enough for a Rs. 30 lakh car
• Expensive, especially the top trim. Full-size 7-seater SUVs are priced in the same ballpark
• Some features are conspicuous by their absence (ventilated seats)
• 2.0L petrol motor is strictly average. Doesn't impress like the diesel

Link to Review

Link to Review - The 2020 Facelift

VW Tiguan Allspace

Citroen C5 Aircross vs Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson vs others-allspace.jpg

Link to Launch Thread

Link to kalyan_hyd's Ownership Review

Body-on-frame SUVs

Citroen C5 Aircross vs Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson vs others-collage-suv.jpg

Ford Endeavour

Link to Review

Link to Review - The 2019 Facelift

Link to Review - The 2.0L Diesel AT

Toyota Fortuner

Link to Review

Link to Review - The 2021 Legender & Facelift

MG Gloster

Link to Review

Mahindra Alturas G4

Link to Drive Report

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2021 at 21:58.
Aditya is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 13:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Citroen C5 Aircross vs Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson vs others

Before driving it, I thought nothing of the Citroen C5 Aircross. After driving it for a day, it became my top choice in the segment. The quirky C5 Aircross has a personality in person, the engine + gearbox are as good as the entry level luxury cars from Germany, ride comfort is excellent, and the driving experience left me very satisfied. It has impressive depth of engineering. Main disadvantage is the rear seat legroom which is just about enough.

Didn't choose the Compass because its Diesel AT sucks. Love the Tucson, but didn't vote for it as the next-gen car is already on sale internationally. Ride comfort is super important to me, hence the Tiguan Allspace goes out the window.

Unfortunate then, that Citroen's pricing strategy & marketing skills are so pathetic that the new Citroens will be as rare as the old Citroens in India:

Citroen C5 Aircross vs Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson vs others-20446_260495291665_651811665_3792293_3757922_n.jpg
Source
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 14:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Fortuner, simply because I can't deal with all the drama regarding after service etc. Most of these flashy, bling new vehicles really become a pain to maintain once the initial gala is over. Wouldn't mind going for the Innova Crysta either since I would have some funds left which can be used to afford a driver for a certain number of years. This would be my choice in the real world taking practicality into account.
TrackDay is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 14:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the Citroen C5 Aircross. But voted for Hyundai Tucson.

I was waiting for its launch, after spotting it for the first time in December 2019, undergoing testing. The size was perfect, I loved those quirky looks and the car was running in a composed manner at 3-digit speeds. After the pictures and reviews were out, I liked the practicality, comfort, space and performance on offer. To me it felt like a spiritual successor of the Skoda Yeti.

So where did it go wrong? Unrealistic price and underwhelming marketing. For a new OEM in the market, there are hardly any ads. Compare this with the likes of MG, KIA during their launch days or even the new Safari launched around the same time as C5. If Citroen is not VERY keen to sell their car, why should a buyer show interest in this new OEM?

On the other hand, Tucson has met with average success in our market. And yet, Hyundai keeps updating the product and launches the new generation model in India. This shows their commitment towards the market and it instills customer confidence. A better price point and a value for money product would be the other reasons to choose this over competitors.

Jeep is simply too overpriced for whatever it offers. Tiguan Allspace feels like an estate car and few initial niggles are worrying.

If I consider the BOF SUVs, then all of the above cars would most likely be ruled out. I can't imagine cross-shopping between these two categories.

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th April 2021 at 14:18.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 14:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Cannot vote being a new member.
My choice would be Compass from this segment (though overpriced). Might have been different if Tiguan Allspace had 2 TDI motor.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 14:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Even I liked the C5 Aircross, but voted for Tucson. Tucson has a very few negatives- Lack of ventilated seats, A boring MID, Missing cool bits like ambient lighting, average petrol engine and gearbox and the dashboard doesn't look premium enough for a 30L car. But other than that the car doesn't faulter much.

However, I don't think the BOF SUVs should be included in this poll. They are certainly a segment above and does not make sense. I am sure for majority, if we take the BOF SUVs into consideration, the 5 seater SUVs won't make much sense. It's like putting a poll between Amaze, Dzire, Ameo and City, Ciaz and Vento.

PS- Don't even need to mention why I did not vote for C5 Aircross, despite liking it the most. Hope someone at Citroen India reads this!

Last edited by 07CR : 30th April 2021 at 14:30.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 15:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I ended up voting for Jeep Compass as I think it is near perfect except lacking some rear space. For me it would not be much of an issue since we are just a family of three, and the rear seat is enough for my 7 year old. Might be a push when my parents are also in car, but that is not a regular affair.

One car I am eagerly waiting for though is the new Tucson. On paper it seems to be the best fit for all my needs, and with Covid playing havoc again, I will now wait for next year to pick a new car. Hopefully Hyundai brings it over by then, the current version though good looks outdated now.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 15:06   #8
BHPian

I recently purchased a new car and went through this exercise:
Compass - loved the new interiors and the HU but a cramped 4 seater and is over priced
AirCross - new attractive French chick in town, loved the overall package except its European price and unknown service quality
Tucson - vannila no nonsense car, sad interiors even after the facelift... doesn't feel special after spending 30+L
Tiguan - solid build, good discounts, but plain looking, sorry no gas guzzlers, name sake 3rd row, not so premium service for a car costing 40L
Fortuner - good power, service, resale but nothing other than that sorry not worth 45-50L in Bengaluru, bumpy ride
Endeavour - starts at a reasonable 37L OTR BLR, decent interiors, bulky frame, too big for a family of three!
Alturas - well, how does that one look, eh?
Gloster - Big on space and features, shitty engine+drive train and seriously 40+L for this brand?
Carnival - Now this is one that we loved in the Limousine trim, 40L OTR after ~10% discounts, but I would be expected to wear a white uniform and a cap! way toooo big for the city or the parking lots
Innova Crysta - Couldn't digest ZX AT at 31+L OTR BLR

I voted Others as I purchased the Safari! 5+2 seater, looker, decent ride quality, nice engine+gearbox, VFM package (27L OTR), rear disc brake, electric parking brake, panoramic sun roof, known dealer service/issues.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th April 2021 at 17:37. Reason: thru = through, spl = special. Request you to type in full without any SMS language / abbreviations. Thank You.
AirWind is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 16:28   #9
BHPian

I love the All-space but no diesel.
Jeep compass is to expensive
Aircross is too new. Will wait for some time until there a feedback on service. Even then the rear seat space will be a downer for a 6'4" and a 5'11" dad. Bucket seats are an open question.
Never liked the Tucson.
Toyota though brilliant, has become very pricey.
Endeavour is my next target even with the small engine.

I would rather latch on to a Safari or think about Superb as well for the time being if I had the moolah.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 16:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Though I loved the C5, the pricing is a disaster.
If I am asked to spend 35L for it, I rather go the full distance and the get the BoF SUVs.
My choice will be Ford Endeavour.
Old 30th April 2021, 17:01   #11
BHPian

Though I own the Compass and love it I voted for the Tiguan. Mainly because of the average auto gearbox in the Compass. Tiguan has a stiffer ride at low speeds but the engine gearbox is a bomb. As long as you can live with the mileage it will be my top choice.

Better, wait a little bit more for the 5 seater Tiguan.
Old 30th April 2021, 17:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

A prospective owner looking at a monocoque SUV will never buy a Body-on-frame and similarly vice-versa, even if it’s in their consideration list.

So I am voting for the Hyundai Tucson.
- Has got the best 2L Diesel engine mated perfectly to a 8 speed automatic. Had test-driven the pre-facelift 6 speed auto Tucson, it’s performance had completely blown me, with 8 speed it must be even better.
- Good comfort for all 5 passengers + boot space.
- May not be as feature-rich as it’s competitors but that works better for me! Less features = Less niggles in the long run.

Runner-up will surely be the high quality Tiguan Allspace!

For me the Compass loses only because of its slow gearbox and size to price ratio.

Similarly the Citroen C5 Aircross although good doesn’t feel worth spending ₹35-38 Lakh on. Had Citroen priced it right, this would have been on top of the Tucson for me.

But spending close to ₹35-40 Lakhs, I would want a 7 seater and there Body-on-frame SUVs make more sense for me.
OT: Body-on-frame shouldn’t have been included in this poll, maybe the Tata Safari could’ve have been added.

But that’s just me, different strokes for different folks. Options are plenty out there, choose what you like best!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 30th April 2021 at 17:25.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 17:20   #13
BHPian

Voted for the Tucson!

Tried and tested Korean over an slightly not so feature rich newcomer.
Despite a high price being quoted on the C5, it even misses out on some basic features that are abundantly available in today's cars.

What promised to battle royale among the competitors, became a tame affair in the end.
Old 30th April 2021, 18:08   #14
BHPian

To be honest, I am not happy with any of these cars. But I guess we stay in India and thats what we have to live with.

- Globally there is new Tucson which is quite good, but here we have last gen
- Jeep compass is a mixed bag, good looks but mediocre space and gearbox.
- Tiguan Allspace comes in limited numbers and only with petrol engine while globally it gets all engine options
- Citroen is Ok, but outrageous pricing spoils it.
- Fortuner/Endeavour are good but are a little crude for mixed usage

I am out shopping in the exact same segment and my purchase is on hold due to the fact that there is no one option that is a convincing winner (In my mind, purely a personal opinion). Not hurry either due to Covid situation.

Lot of the gaps can be filled by couple of products with good engine options. Like new Tucson or a new Kodiaq with 2.0 diesel etc. But sadly none of these are on the horizon in India
SourPai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:42   #15
BHPian

As a current Ford Ecosport diesel user, the ideal upgrade for a diesel head who is used to the excellent dynamics of the Ecosport, is the Jeep Compass. It has remained the same for quite sometime and although the options now are a bit more extensive, I still don't see a viable alternative to the Compass. I never had an issue with the size of the Compass and infact considered it a pro due to the associated ease of manoeuvrability. It can seat 4 adults in comfort which is what 90% of the situations dictate in todays world and the recent update has made the interiors extremely premium as well. The pricing is definitely on the higher side now and the diesel automatic is a disappointment but if I am on the lookout for a diesel manual SUV, only the Compass could be called an ideal upgrade to the Ecosport (just my opinion, no offense meant) and hence my vote still goes for the same.
Fury is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks