Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2021, 17:02   #61
BHPian

Re: Which AT Compact SUV for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrother View Post
I've been using a Venue SX + Dct 2019 model and covered 31k kms. All the cars we currently own are automatics, ranging from torque converters to CVT to Dual clutches.
Hi, I've been going through this thread when I got some free time from work this week. Of all the posts, yours caught my attention since whatever you have mentioned is of interest to me.

If the CVT is good for usage within city limits and the DCT for highway trips, can a traditional TC AT offer one the best of both worlds? The only TC AT I have driven extensively is the Kia Picanto and I found it suitable for both city driving as well as for highways. The only trouble I felt with it was the need to downshift manually when it needed to climb. I guess that's a common feature with all types of ATs. After returning to India, I settled for an MT (didn't have much trouble switching to a right hand drive MT) but not for long. I have also read about the concerns over long term (~ 10 yrs) reliability of DCT gearboxes. Your post evoked in me an interest in the Venue DCT. Other considerations are the Ecosport AT & Rapid AT.
Old 13th August 2021, 16:05   #62
BHPian

So guys, I had booked Ford Ecosport in April and now finally taking delivery tomorrow. Thank you for all those who responded to my queries and gave their suggestions and thoughts.

I am excited
Saminxs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 08:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saminxs View Post
So guys, I had booked Ford Ecosport in April and now finally taking delivery tomorrow.
Congratulations!! A great choice even today. The 1.5L NA engine with the TC AT (assuming you have gone ahead with the AT) means adequate power and long term reliability. Also, a car with excellent safety features and build quality. Happy Motoring
denny_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:58   #64
BHPian

Re: Which AT SUV for me?

Dear All,

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so will be posting my dilemma here.

I have a 5.5 year old 56k run Hyundai Creta A/T 1.6D which is working fine no issues - just need to change the tires and maybe the music system which seems to be aging. This car was bought for my wife which is for ease of driving and looks. As maybe with most wives my wife is looking for an upgrade which has some badge value (Audi / BMW / Merc) - though I can stretch my 30L budget to around 40L but I don't seem to get any cars in this range.

Options Considered:
1. KIA Seltos GT Line: I have seen the car and driven the car, this car is loaded with features which is definitely a big change from my Creta, but having looked at it in detail didn't feel like an upgrade as such, if I buy this car it will most likely tickle my new car buying bug. Don't like the looks of the new Creta.

2. Mahindra Thar M/T: Had been to Kodai recently and a friend had brought his Thar Convertible Top with him, it was love at first site, even my wife loved the Car as it had amazing presence. So on a whim I went and booked the Thar with the closest dealership - Black Convertible top M/T, if I go ahead with this booking this will be an additional car in our garage and we will then retain the Creta for convenience, my wife wants me to change the M/T to A/T so that even she car drive sometimes, though I feel off-roaders are best in Manual transmission. Anyone driven an auto Thar let me know your comments because I'm on the fence with this one.

3. BMW 2 Series: Test drove it, loved it even though it was front wheel drive. liked the frameless doors and the features it had. They are giving it for 2L discount approximately 49.80L onroad Chennai for the M Sport Diesel, I feel its way overpriced. I'm sure my wife would love this.

4. Merc A Class: Not driven it, will be checking it out shortly, let me know if this worth the look and also how much discount I can expect.

5. Mini Countryman: Checked this out as well, loved it even though it felt a little cramped, unfortunately it comes only in petrol now, would prefer the deisel as I can then use it for even my work trips out of town and as well as outstation trips without worrying too much.

I need your help in deciding which route I should take sell of my ageing Creta and go for the options above or retain the Creta and get the additional car Thar.

Any suggestions are welcome, as you know us car enthusiasts can give countless suggestions to others but when we have to buy a car for ourselves it becomes a nightmare with countless options as you will already notice from the above variety of cars shared.

Thank you all in advance -XS
Old 19th August 2021, 23:16   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
So reviving the thread after 4 months!!
So, any update on your new car purchase?

I guess you've ended up booking a Sonet Diesel AT GTX+ as you said before.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 19th August 2021 at 23:37.
car_guy1998 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 12:05   #66
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
So, any update on your new car purchase?

I guess you've ended up booking a Sonet Diesel AT GTX+ as you said before.
No buddy. Well actually, some other priorities have taken precedence over this. Hence, have kinda shelved the new car plans for now.

Infact, I had almost sold my Swift too for a good deal, but had to hold back.

Let’s see when the stars get aligned to bring home a new ride.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 10:10   #67
agm
BHPian

Hello friends,

Didn’t want to start a separate thread for my query, So here asking for a help from fellow bhpians

My Current drive is 2013 Hyundai i20 petrol which now I’m planning to replace. My budget for the new car is strictly 16lakhs on road.

My running won’t exceed more than 700-800 kms monthly( not opposed to diesel though). Will be used mostly for city drive and once or twice every week will be taking it to farm(35km one way).

We are a family of 3 including my senior citizen mother. So, ingress and egress is of paramount importance.

Due to traffic situation in my city this time I’d like to have a AT(strictly no to AMT/DCT). Although if there is something really nice in my budget and I’ll have to compromise with this criteria then I won’t mind that. Provided, car with MT has a light clutch and smooth gearshift.

Usually I keep the vehicle for long and this time too I’m planning to do the same. This will be my drive for the next 8-10 years.

Looking forward to your valuable inputs. Thanks!
Old 7th September 2021, 22:29   #68
BHPian

Nexon vs Sonet?

Hi
I'm currently the owner of a 8yo i10 which has clocked 52k+ kms as on date. The car has been pretty boring - starts on the first attempt, drives smoothly, does the job pretty well without any surprises, still gives 15-16kmpl with 100% AC with mixed city and highway runs. However, I got it when I was a hot blooded youngster fresh out of college and with the competition being MS Swift. Now I am a married person with a kid and suddenly a 0.5* rated car with a boaty ride doesn't excite me or my better half anymore.

I'm looking for a bigger vehicle (higher ground clearance for village roads plus higher stance against the stupid dipper drivers on the highway) which will probably be a diesel for the sheer torque on tap, which my i10 has been found lacking at times. It has to be an AT because I am pretty lazy to change gears by myself (having an i10 AT at home has always made me dislike my own car a little).

My choices are simple - Tata Nexon and Kia Sonet. No Ford's, no XUVs (my Activa has bigger boot space) and no Nissan's.

Here is a small for and against for each vehicle which I have been able to come up with

Nexon - Built like a tank, 260 Nm available and ease of service and spares availability. 5*? I'm already drooling.

Sonet - The famed 1.6 detuned to 1.5, gizmos, cooled seats (it's Punjab summers) and the torque converter (my other i10 has one too)

Against Nexon - No sunroof (for cooling a hot car) and no 10" system and ventilated seats

Against Sonet - no star rating as such (Seltos anyone?), spares and service may be a hit and a miss, cost of spares

My requirements are few:
1. Should be a diesel AT.
2. Should be a safe vehicle.
3. Ease of availability of spares and service.
4. Should be comfortable to drive (highest drives ~ 150kms after a long day at work)
5. Raised stance and projectors.
6. Drool worthy music system.
7. Being a public sector banker, won't mind sarkari attitude!

I would require your advice/suggestions/real life examples and feedbacks on which beast to tame before we all shift to EVs. Thanks in advance!
jasjotbains is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 22:49   #69
BHPian

Re: Nexon vs Sonet?

I would recommend:
1. Tata Nexon Diesel
2. MS Brezza/ Toyota Urban Cruiser (Only petrol hence you left them out) four star safety is good.

The Sonnet doesn't look or feel that tall as you expect and safety is also uncertain.

Last edited by RavSam : 7th September 2021 at 22:51.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 22:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I would recommend:
1. Tata Nexon Diesel
2. MS Brezza/ Toyota Urban Cruiser (Only petrol hence you left them out) four star safety is good.

The Sonnet doesn't look or feel that tall as you expect and safety is also uncertain.
Thanks! Forgot to block out MS since I've had pockets burnt with their products. My Alto service was twice as costly as my i10.

While we're at Nexon, is the sunroof big enough to actually consider or will it just be a gimmick? The variant is 80k costlier OTR if I remember correctly
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 23:00   #71
BHPian

Since you said SUV, that wonderful Amaze D CVT is gone. Between Nexon and Sonet, it has to be the Nexon. Lack of Sunroof shouldn't be a decision factor unless you want someone to stick their heads out while you drive and show case it. India, predominantly buys cars with sunroof just for that.
saisree is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 23:01   #72
anb
BHPian

Nexon comes with AMT while Sonet comes with a proper torque converter automatic. So I would prefer a proper TC automatic any day over AMT.
anb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 23:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Thanks! Forgot to block out MS since I've had pockets burnt with their products. My Alto service was twice as costly as my i10.

While we're at Nexon, is the sunroof big enough to actually consider or will it just be a gimmick? The variant is 80k costlier OTR if I remember correctly
Hi, you should definitely go for Nexon. It fits your requirements clearly - safe car and diesel automatic. And sunroof is something every one likes when they get to experience it, no matter how much they are against it before. Driving with sunroof shade open at dawn/dusk and in rains is just different feeling. I can't put a price on that TBH. Nexon is matured product and a successful one, so I assume service won't burn a hole in your pocket.
Akshay6988 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 23:08   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
While we're at Nexon, is the sunroof big enough to actually consider or will it just be a gimmick?
I found the Sunroof in Nexon pretty much a gimmick as it is very small even compared to the competition (XUV and Sonet have much bigger single pane units). But the optional sunroof variants also get cruise control and TPMS over the variant below them if I remember correctly. Whether they are worth the 80k or so premium is upto you.
I would suggest getting the Nexon as it satisfies almost all your needs except a proper TC AT - Safety, Good music system, can be a capable cruiser and take rough patches of road with relative ease. Also seems like you wouldn't mind slow, government office type dealers and service centres
quantobigboot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 23:18   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantobigboot View Post
I would suggest getting the Nexon as it satisfies almost all your needs except a proper TC AT - Safety, Good music system, can be a capable cruiser and take rough patches of road with relative ease. Also seems like you wouldn't mind slow, government office type dealers and service centres
If the AMT of the Nexon can give a good pick up at low end and not end up confused in gear selection, I wouldn't mind the odd jerk it throws.

I'm a public sector banker, so I'm used to the govt dept pace
jasjotbains is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks